Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Any form of Newsstand that sells publications is not subject to exclusivity or able to be trademarked by one firm. That's like Dole trademarking the term "banana".

EDIT: Barnes & Noble doesn't have the term Newsstand trademarked in the physical form, so why should Apple be allowed exclusivity in the digital form?

Generic names won't win many trademark battles.

That reminds me.

Didn't Microsoft technically lose their case when it came to the Windows trademark? I think the idea was that they were willing to keep appealing again and again and run the other company out of money.

----------

It serves the same function. The medium is irrelevant when the function is identical.

I think he was joking.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'd probably just stick it in a folder anyways, but I don't see Apple wanting to allow any apps that are named the same as stock apps in the App Store (oh look autocapitalization on iOS). I would further this thought with a comment on the lack of apps with exact names on the App Store, but honestly I am too lazy to confirm or disprove that.

Categorize under "who cares".

Amen.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Huh. Did I miss something? When did Apple open a physical newsstand?

Or did they not actually ever do that and you're trying to draw a parallel between a physical newsstand and software which would only make sense to someone who doesn't actually understand the whole trademark concept.

It's pretty simple. If software called Newsstand that delivers periodicals electronically exists, you can't create your own software that delivers periodicals electronically and also call it Newsstand.

Is that really so hard for people to understand or am I just some kind of genius? (I'd love for it to be the latter, but it's probably the former.)

But Newsstand isn't trademarked or patented. Just the icon is.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm a big fan of Flipboard and use it daily. I don't foresee changing to any competitor.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Comeon, man. Jazz hands are the universally accepted symbol of sarcasm.

...though you'd be shocked, appalled, and surprised at how often the "on a computer" argument seems to work with the patent office.

It's MR. Generally sarcasm and over zealous Apple fanboy ism are difficult to differentiate.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm a big fan of Flipboard and use it daily. I don't foresee changing to any competitor.

I'd love to use Flipboard, but alas I can't. Currents has much better Offline Support. All I have to do is open it before I leave the place where I get free net, have it sync, leave. Then I can read articles in bed where I don't have net.

I haven't found Flipboard to be able to do that so well.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
You've not used Google music have you.

If that one does't suit you, throw in Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, etc.

Then take Google Maps > Apple Maps.

My point, was to highlight the complete stupidity of nearly every post on page 1, where people are slagging Google off just because they aren't Apple. It's pathetic.

Everyone copies each other - Apple is no exception.

I was under the impression we were referring to names!

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I like how Goog tries to make iOS the second tier OS by holding out updates and what not. In my experience it is just making people look for alternatives. Keep it up dude. Its obviously good to get people disinterested about your services. By the way, is Goog the only company doing this? Pretty sure everyone codes for iOS first then ports over to Android.

kgtenacious

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I don't see a single mention of the term "newsstand" in your provided image.

Sorry, here you go: (also, according to merriam-webster, the first known use of the word "newsstand" is 1866).

Attachments

• newsstand_NYC_USA.jpg
    newsstand_NYC_USA.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But seriously, what else are you going to call an app that simulates a newsstand?
  • Coffee Table
  • Bathroom reader
  • Living room floor

Yup. Apple won't care that it's called "Newsstand", but they may not allow it onto the phone for the fact that it replicates an existing built-in feature of the phone. That might be grounds for a lawsuit from Google. We'll have to see.

----------

My point, was to highlight the complete stupidity of nearly every post on page 1, where people are slagging Google off just because they aren't Apple.

Apple doesn't create software for Android. Why must Google create software for iOS?

Because. Eyeballs for Ads. That's all they really care about. They can claim to be doing the world a good service, but at the end of it, it's pure self-serving greed.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Any form of Newsstand that sells publications is not subject to exclusivity or able to be trademarked by one firm. That's like Dole trademarking the term "banana".

EDIT: Barnes & Noble doesn't have the term Newsstand trademarked in the physical form, so why should Apple be allowed exclusivity in the digital form?

Generic names won't win many trademark battles.

Correct. I didn't mean to imply that Apple had a trademark on the term "Newsstand." I was sloppy in my post but by "trademark," I was making reference to trade dress which is protected in the same way trademarks are. If Apple has a mobile app for electronic delivery of periodicals, it's hard to see how it's not infringement of trade dress laws for a competitor to introduce an app for the same purpose with the same name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.