Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacScape

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
That's brilliant. Ship the usb-c iPhone without cable. Then Apple can charge us for those as well.
You should charge every device with just one cable (and adapter, to reduce e-waste). That's the whole idea. Why should you include the cable then?

And you are not forced to buy that Apple cable, are you? You can use ANY usb-c cable.

Marie.D

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2020
So does this mean we're stuck with the USB-C form factor forever? If no device can have a different connector how do we ever get to what comes after USB-C?
The law specifically states that the connector can evolve. It’s crazy how much coverage this issue had and we still have questions like this. Do people ever read the legislation???

Reactions: moulderine

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I predict that the iPhone 15 Pros will have faster USB-C, possibly TB4, than the regular 15s. Kind of like the iPad Pro and iPad Air have different USB-C capabilities. It will be an extra feature to up sell to the Pros.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
So this is the real reason why they gave the new iPad Apple Pencil 1st gen with dumb dongle…spite!

“We’ll never let lightning accessories die on any of our product lines despite regulations!”

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I’m carrying around multiple cables anyway to charge multiple devices at once
This is why I laugh when people say they’re excited about this change because it means they only need to take one cable to travel. I’m still bringing a cable and plug per device I travel with. USB-C being on two of the three devices I travel with didn’t change that. I’m still bringing three cables and plugs.

Reactions: strongy

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
This is why I laugh when people say they’re excited about this change because it means they only need to take one cable to travel. I’m still bringing a cable and plug per device I travel with. USB-C being on two of the three devices I travel with didn’t change that. I’m still bringing three cables and plugs.
At least the new regulations will prevent the possibilities of plugging a Lightning connector in a USB-C port.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
There won’t be a replacement for USB-C. It’ll be USB-C and then wireless protocols. There is no need for a new standard connector as USB-C (assuming 3.0 speeds or higher) has enough data and energy bandwidth that will be sufficient for 99% of users and devices for the next 30 years.

If a better connector comes along, do you think that Apple would be in a rush to adopt it given they’ve stuck with Lightning for so long?
Why don't you step back into the Way-back machine to 1992, and see if the data and energy bandwidth of those connectors are sufficient for people today.

bobbydontchaknow

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2022
I think apple made the EU do this so they wouldn’t get push back from customers this time when they change to usb-c. The majority of people will complain when they change to usb-c like they did when they changed to lightning. I bet apple wanted to do this years ago.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
The law specifically states that the connector can evolve. It’s crazy how much coverage this issue had and we still have questions like this. Do people ever read the legislation???
And which company will bother to invest money in a new connector technology with the hope that the EU will accept it?

I understand the frustration with multiple standards and cables. But it might have been smarter for the EU to bake in an end date to this requirement - say 7 years into the future. That would provide companies with an incentive to continue developing better technologies with the prospect of actually being able to sell them in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: strongy and KPOM

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
NO! This is a common misconception.

The USB consortium, or an alternative consortium backed by the major companies, makes a proposal for a new standard, with commitment to update to this standard within a certain time frame. This is presented to the EU, who will likely approve if the major companies are in agreement. They will then pass a law that past a given point in the future, all new product introductions must follow the new standard.

This happens all the time with e.g. safety standards. EU is not preventing evolution, they are forcing the big companies to work together. This is good. If the EU did not do this, all your appliances would have much higher stand-by power consumption than the current status.
The reality is that no one has an incentive to come up with a better standard. Look at the mess that USB-C data and charging “standards” has become.

Reactions: iOS Geek

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
And i have never has the USB port fail on me.

Perhaps you should not buy cheap cables and misuse the port.

I have lost more lightning cables than micro usb ports.

I have had my lightning port clogged from lint and particulate than as the hole is bigger than any usb c port on any device I have.

LOL at 'not buy cheap cables' :rolleyes: Because 'cheap' cables wear out the female connector on the MacBook side? That's a new one for me. I have more $50 Thunderbolt 3/4 cables than I can count. Nothing to do with price my man.

We never hear about usb c ports failing on MacBooks. We even heard about the keyboard failing for a minority of people but nobody complained about the port.

OH RLY?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-c-power-cable-noticeably-looser-than-others.2055160/

Reactions: iOS Geek

JapanApple

Suspended
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
When you go travelling, even to stay with relatives, you take an iPad Pro and an iPhone, it’s nice to use the same charger and cable for both devices.. and it’s about damn time the iPhone followed the iPad in this regard and dumped the incredibly slow, by todays standards, lightning port speeds.
If it wasn’t for the EU the iPhone would be stuck on USB 2 speeds for ever. I’ve also never once had an Apple port break on a device in all the years I’ve had iPhones since the iPhone 3.

In your scenario if you travelled with an iPad and iPhone you’d also need a separate wireless charging base too. That’s unnecessary.
Oh sure! :)
You are lucky that haven't broken the lighting port. I have seen so many broken lighting ports pads and phones since the iPhone 5 (the first to have a lighting connector, I believe 2013). I carry a MagSafe charger and power bank made by apple. hence I don't need a lighting cable anymore.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
He isn't going to say but every rumor so far is it will be in the 15. They could've waited til the 16 if they wanted though.
Depending on how you interpret the 'law', it may have to be the iPhone 15, as Apple usually likes to keep the older-gen in the line up for several years.

Reactions: JapanApple

JapanApple

Suspended
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Good on you for rejecting lightning, even going so far as to plug up the port to prevent any lightning cables entering and tainting the purity of your device. I'm impressed!
I had it with cables since the MagSafe charging is good why bother with cables?

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Depending on how you interpret the 'law', it may have to be the iPhone 15, as Apple usually likes to keep the older-gen in the line up for several years.
It clearly is about new products launching and not previous devices so they could’ve waited til 2024.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
For anyone I've talked to that also owns a MacBook/iPad or Android devices, they usually get pretty excited about it once you explain the difference of Lightning vs USB-C.

Usually variations of "I didn't know that was possible" or "why the hell haven't they already been doing that"
What did they find out was possible with USB-C that was not possible with lightning with the correct dongle or cable?

Lightning did the same thing as USB-C currently does, but a whole lot more than micro USB while being a smaller form factor and more robust (at the time).

IMHO Ecosystem is why they haven't done it till now - anyone that has bought a third party lighting specific iDevice would be really pissed at Apple if they didn't get at least a couple of years out of it.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So does this mean we're stuck with the USB-C form factor forever? If no device can have a different connector how do we ever get to what comes after USB-C?
No, but it might mean we're stuck with USB-IF forever. Which, on balance, is probably the best reasonable outcome. USB-IF as an organization, and the standards they put out, have many flaws. But it's the most widely adopted, has the most members, and is still relatively open. Balancing that with the desire for standardization, I'm not sure we could have done better.

Remember that USB-C is just a physical plug. Many different protocols and interfaces can use the USB-C connector, and many of these protocols and interfaces require specialized cabling. This new law doesn't hinder whatever protocols, interfaces, or cabling that comes next - as long as they continue to use the USB-C connector.

And if there does come a time when the USB-C physical plug itself is the limiting factor, I am sure USB-IF will come up with a backwards compatible next plug while at the same time pushing the EU to update their regulations.

Vespi

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2021
I can see this being for EU only and US will still get Lightning, just like sim trays, US dont have them on iphone 14 but EU has

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.