Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theone29

macrumors member
May 6, 2013
Boom!! It works. Finally, my Zotac 4GB gtx680 can see the grey screen again. Thanks for everyone effort.

Which ROM did you use? I'm guessing the Stealth one from the #1 post, I'm getting ready to flash my Zotac. Can you confirm if all the ports work also? Thanks.

gizmosito

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Amazing. Just upgraded my Mac Pro 3,1 with SSD, 24GB ram and a GTX680-4GB. Huge thank you for providing all this great info. Now on to upgrade to OS X 10.14.

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
I am new to flashing and searched the Internet. I've found this thread that starts with Dr.Stealth some years ago.
I own a Mac Pro 3.1 and want to use a GTX 680 Classified 4GB. I have connected 2 cables (6 pins on the macpro motherboard and 8 pins on the videcard)
The mac pro 3.1 starts ups but i get no screen. After a while the fans are becoming louder and are working harder (i think)
What going wrong here ? I was wondering if i could follow the procedure from Dr. Stealth to flash the card, but nothing happens.
Should i first flash the card in a windows pc ? or should i get a screen after a while with the GTX 680 4GB Classified ?
Help is appreciated !

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,
I am new to flashing and searched the Internet. I've found this thread that starts with Dr.Stealth some years ago.
I own a Mac Pro 3.1 and want to use a GTX 680 Classified 4GB. I have connected 2 cables (6 pins on the macpro motherboard and 8 pins on the videcard)
The mac pro 3.1 starts ups but i get no screen. After a while the fans are becoming louder and are working harder (i think)
What going wrong here ? I was wondering if i could follow the procedure from Dr. Stealth to flash the card, but nothing happens.
Should i first flash the card in a windows pc ? or should i get a screen after a while with the GTX 680 4GB Classified ?
Help is appreciated !
Did you tested with El Capitan? Nvidia GPUs are know to not work with hacked 10.12/10.13 installs, it's an unintended consequence of the AMD drivers patch.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hi,

Could you be a little more specific on the Mac to GPU connections.

Lou

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Could you be a little more specific on the Mac to GPU connections.

Lou

Hi,
You mean the power connections?
There are 2 cables from the 6 pins connector on the board to the 8 pins connector on the card. (2 cables)

After 2 minutes after power-on the fans go like crazy and nothing happens? The Fan on the GTX680 4GB is spinning, but no screen after all
Any ideas ?

Thanx!
HennyZ

Last edited:

poekel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Hi,
I powered the card from a windows pc ( 2x 8 pins). A Coolermaster 620W. The fan of the card works ok, and the fan in the macpro dont go mad in spinning and i get a nice screen. Everything looks ok !
Can the macpro power supply be the problem ?

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Hi,
I powered the card from a windows pc ( 2x 8 pins). A Coolermaster 620W. The fan of the card works ok, and the fan in the macpro dont go mad in spinning and i get a nice screen. Everything looks ok !
Can the macpro power supply be the problem ?

A GTX 680 is only 195 watts-it shouldn't be be a problem for a stabile Mac Pro. I believe flowrider was asking about the output connections since what model of outputs you have depends on which ROM with which you should flash your PC card.

Your card however should work once the OS drivers load up though OOB with macOS dependent on the OS you are running-but being a Kepler based GPU their basic drivers have been embedded for a while. The 3,1 is a bit out of my knowledge base-but I believe it must be flashed prior to use in machine due to the OS limitations, but it may only need web-drivers installed prior to use. For sure though-match the output ports of your card to the ROM you want to flash to your card so it functions as "normal" as possible.

Last edited:

inputoutput

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
Yea have an EVGA and this happens every once and a while. Usually if I leave it the screen will eventually wake up some time later, like 5-10 mins.

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
Good day!

Consult me, please:
1) Is "zotac gtx 680 4gb" can be flashed for mac?
2) What firmware may i use?

mrhali

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2014
Reactions: Pentaxer

ljubonni

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2014
Ran into small issue. was using my friend's windows box trying to flash my zotac 680 card . Got the error attached. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

Edit: think i found the solution.

Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
Got my Zotac 680 today. Initially when trying to flash the card then refused with PCI Subsystem Mismatch.

Crossed Fingers, did the nvglash -4 -5 -6 name_of_rom.rom file and forced on.
[doublepost=1551992630][/doublepost]How did you solve the problem of pci subsystem mismatched. . I also have get the same ...

Cassier_off

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2019
Hi Guys,

I flashed my Asus GTX680 DirectCU II 4GB card successful with @Fl0r!an version, but as we know, it is an EVGA Rom, so hardware information tools now display a EVGA graphics card.

I there a way to change the subvendor name inside the firmware.rom? I guess, that not the name itself is stored somewhere inside the firmware, but it's Hex Value. All vendors have an hexadecimal Vendor ID: klick for example:

EVGA (3842)
ASUS (1043)

I searched the romfiles for these Values with a HexEditor, and i found them, but i found them multiple times and i am not sure if i should try to change them or not...

Last edited:

Factory1963

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2019
Hey guys,

I know I'm late to the party, I'm getting used to it...

I've attached a modified ROM which will enable all ports in OS X. My approach is quite different from what MVC hinted here, the result should be similar though (anyone who can make an IOReg dump will see what I did to the EFI).
Only drawback is that you'll lose the PCI section in system profiler (which isn't bad since it makes the ROM less attractive for those eBay douchebags ;)). Still full boot screens and OS X on all 4 ports, 5.0GT/s should work, too.

I didn't touch the VBIOS portion of the ROM, so any card that can run the ROM in the first post of this thread won't get bricked by mine either.

Thanks @Rankel for testing it!

FYI...Successfully flashed a GTX680 4GB PNY Enthusiast Edition, both DVI working, and pcie info in System Profiler is back in Mojave. Yet, recorvery mode, and Mojave installer boot to blank displays...Thus, I can't disable SIP...Any ideas?

svavaroe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
Thank you kindly for this. I have a Gigabyte GV-N680OC-4GD which replaced my ancient ATI 5770 card which I flashed with the ROM from post #1.
I removed the write protection and used the "overridesub" command when flashing the card. Voila! Grey Boot screen
back to life on my MP5.1
Be sure to connect the 8pin and 6pin so the card gets it normal power. Its a requirement.

I have a 27" cinema display connected as the main screen with mDisplayPort to DisplayPort
and second screen connected to the DVI. One of the DVI ports is missing after the flash, but don't need it.

Thank you again.

bbb555

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Had bookmarked this post for a long time and finally got around to flashing my Galaxy GTX680 2GB card.
Flashing worked (via a standalone Win10 PC).
Installed the GTX680 into the Mac Pro 4,1 (firmware upgraded to a 5,1).
Boot screen popped up just like a new Mac.
Got my Apple 30" Cinema Display and a 23" display - both off DVI ports - running smoothly.
Appreciate the easy steps from post #95 - Thanks @ActionableMango
Now running macOS 10.14.6 :)
My Early-2009 Mac Pro lives another day.

Reactions: howiest

powercrazy

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2019
Folks, I wonder can I get some help. I recently got myself a Mac Pro 4,1 that has been upgraded to the 5,1 via the firmware update. It was running a Radeon 5700 just fine and I got the machine updated to High Sierra. I'm now trying to make the hop to Mojave and know I need a metal compatible card. I picked up the EVGA 680 GTX classified card (windows edition) on eBay with the hopes to flash it to a mac card.

I downloaded Dr. Stealth's firmware at the beginning of this thread and flashed in windows. Putting the card in my mac, I see the white screen with apple logo and then the loading bar - about half-way through, it effectively halts and reboots. I cannot get past this nor can I get into recovery (recovery just hangs). I can however get into single-user mode but frankly, can't see anything obviously wrong.

Is there a different rom I should have flashed? Can someone please point me in the right direction?

thanks!

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
Folks, I wonder can I get some help. I recently got myself a Mac Pro 4,1 that has been upgraded to the 5,1 via the firmware update. It was running a Radeon 5700 just fine and I got the machine updated to High Sierra. I'm now trying to make the hop to Mojave and know I need a metal compatible card. I picked up the EVGA 680 GTX classified card (windows edition) on eBay with the hopes to flash it to a mac card.

I downloaded Dr. Stealth's firmware at the beginning of this thread and flashed in windows. Putting the card in my mac, I see the white screen with apple logo and then the loading bar - about half-way through, it effectively halts and reboots. I cannot get past this nor can I get into recovery (recovery just hangs). I can however get into single-user mode but frankly, can't see anything obviously wrong.

Is there a different rom I should have flashed? Can someone please point me in the right direction?

thanks!
To determine the problem was caused by an incompatible BIOS, try to re-load your original (windows edition) BIOS and use it in Mac, you won't see boot screen but if your card is good, it should load.

If that's the case then it might be due to incompatible (mac) BIOS.

powercrazy

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2019
To determine the problem was caused by an incompatible BIOS, try to re-load your original (windows edition) BIOS and use it in Mac, you won't see boot screen but if your card is good, it should load.

If that's the case then it might be due to incompatible (mac) BIOS.

Damn, I knew that ;-) I was just resisting doing it because getting it into my PC to reflash is a royal PITA, but it is the logical next step. I was hoping someone would say 'oh, you forgot (insert silver bullet here)'.

Assuming the bios is bad, does anyone know of one that would suit this card or where I should start digging? I'll do the swap out and reflash this morning so I'll let you guys know in a couple of hours.

Reactions: octoviaa

powercrazy

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2019
So I think I've tracked it down to a power issue. If I take the same card out of the pro and connect it up in a PC with only 6 of the 8 connectors connected (based on the normal 6 pin plug in the mac pro) the PC boots successfully to a black screen.

Doing the same with all 8 connected, card behaves normally. I verified the bios and it is correctly stating the flashed details. So, thinking that for this particular card, I need ALL 8 pins on each connector to be connected, I've ordered 2 6->8 pin cables for a mac pro. I'll get them tomorrow and should be able to retest then.

Reactions: octoviaa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.