Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryder

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I've updated my initial reply after checking specs of MBP models. See above.
My computer is a iMac 5,1, but it has the same components as the MBP (C2D, ATI X1600 and EFI32), but the only problem at this moment is installing Mavericks. In the future, I'd have to look for a kext for the X1600.

grizzlayleslay

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
It seems like I won't be running Mavericks on my Macbook. Is this true?

Given what we know right now (which is not much), it is doubtful. We'll only know with 100% certainty when hackerwayne releases MVPF.

As it stands, MacBooks with the Intel GMA cards, as well as Mac Minis, don't have 64-bit drivers for graphics. Even if it did run, it would run poorly as without those drivers, there's no graphics acceleration.

In the unlikely event that hackerwayne completed the beta 64-bit drivers from 10.6.2, then we'd have something. But for now, stick with 10.8.4 MLPF. And really, consider a new Mac. I know I am, because even with 3GB of RAM, using my Mini for anything productive is becoming troublesome.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Contrary to you, I prefer to keep the discussion in a civilized tone, and I won't proceed to this rude tone of yours.
I do have Mavericks installed on an MBR partition, which does NOT mean it was originally installed like that, as obviously the installer refuses to do so.

My information was not false, Here's what I said:

While what I said can be read as "the installer requires for itself to be on a GUID-partitioned drive", what I meant, of course, is that the installer requires the destination partition to be in a GPT-partitioned hd. I may not have given all the detailed info, which does not mean I gave false information. This was done the same way as you when you said (and then edited later) that you've got a Maverick running on an MBR-partitioned disk (which I've got as well). You are of course omitting that you didn't install it that way, which doesn't make your info false, just incomplete.

So before behaving in such an aggressive way in a public environment and demand 100% correctness of people (arrogantly so, by the way), you should apply the same standards to what you say here as well.

Well sir, your 'civilised' observation deserves an equally civilised response. A fellow who a couple of days ago saw fit to ask me to correct quite a defective tutorial of his has had the 'civilised' audacity of rebuking me publicly for stating an obvious misconstruction that could be derived from your 'civilised' words. I didn't say, nor did I edit, that I have Mavericks running on an MBR-partitioned disk. You are civilisedly mistaken, sir. In a very civilised way, I repeat that my Mavericks partition installer (not Mavericks itself) is on a MBR disk, whereas Mavericks is on a GPT disk.

Once again, you are civilisedly confused when you state that I somehow changed the way I installed Mavericks. I haven't changed anything at all. I've had the present configuration for over a year ever since ML days. When Mavericks GM came out, I simply restored tailored-made DMG to my MBR HFS+ Installer partition, and then, using Chameleon, I booted into the Installer partition to install Mavericks on my GPT HFS+ Journaled Macintosh HD. So, no; everything is the same as it was over one year ago, when I first discovered Jabbawok's blog.

I hope this is civilised enough for you, despite your mistakes.

----------

Hennesie2000 & Peter Holbrook, you two are oviosly very knowledgeable about how to install Maverick in a Mac Pro. I understand that you probably think that all the info needed to do this is already in this forum, but some of us are having a tough time comprehending all the steps. What I'm requesting is for you two to put together a step by step on how to upgrade a Mac Pro that is currently running ML using the Jabbawok installation. People like me that aren't as knowledgeable as you, would definately appriciate it.

I see your idea, but it isn't necessary. Look for Jabbawok's blog in Google. There you'll find everything you need. He and the guys at netkas deserve all the credit.

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
Asking again for some insight

Like I said, I'm trying to close my MacPro and move on.
Mavericks is fine, I have a problem when I reinstall the HD with Windows in it.
I have searched here and in other forums and I have only found methods that involve reinstalling Windows or redoing the chameleon boot disk or both.

Would anyone have any suggestion as to how to have this work without any OS re-installation and/or any disk formatting?

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Well sir, your 'civilised' observation deserves an equally civilised response. A fellow who a couple of days ago saw fit to ask me to correct quite a defective tutorial of his has had the 'civilised' audacity of rebuking me publicly for stating an obvious misconstruction that could be derived from your 'civilised' words. I didn't say, nor did I edit, that I have Mavericks running on an MBR-partitioned disk. You are civilisedly mistaken, sir. In a very civilised way, I repeat that my Mavericks partition installer (not Mavericks itself) is on a MBR disk, whereas Mavericks is on a GPT disk.

Once again, you are civilisedly confused when you state that I somehow changed the way I installed Mavericks. I haven't changed anything at all. I've had the present configuration for over a year ever since ML days. When Mavericks GM came out, I simply restored tailored-made DMG to my MBR HFS+ Installer partition, and then, using Chameleon, I booted into the Installer partition to install Mavericks on my GPT HFS+ Journaled Macintosh HD. So, no; everything is the same as it was over one year ago, when I first discovered Jabbawok's blog.

----------

I see your idea, but it isn't necessary. Look for Jabbawok's blog in Google. There you'll find everything you need. He and the guys at netkas deserve all the credit.

Despite the irony, despite you believing that aggressive behavior is justified by someone's else allegedly audacity towards you, besides you misunderstanding and rebuking me for what I didn't say, I do prefer this tone, thank you sir.

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland

This is all just a misunderstanding and it just needs to be dropped. When he said the installer needed a GPT he meant that the installer was asking for a GTP drive to install Mavericks on (honestly I think everyone else understood that). You like to use caps and it isn't needed. You did it with me originally and I didn't like it either. When you get called out on one of your mistakes you also take it way to personal (that's when your caps lock key gets stuck). And yes, you do make them too. Don't be the 'IT Guy' (see the SNL skit with Jimmy Fallon). The reason I chose to correct what you said about "The Chameleon boot, which MUST reside in a MBR disk" is because you chose to use all caps as if what you were saying was the end all be all only correct way. The use of "MUST" is wrong.

And yes I did ask you to look at the guide I am working on and I do appreciate that you took the time to read through it. It's always good to have a second pair of eyes to look at something. Thank you for that.

PS: civilized and civilised are both correct depending on where in the world you live.

Last edited:

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Despite the irony, despite you believing that aggressive behavior is justified by someone's else allegedly audacity towards you, besides you misunderstanding and rebuking me for what I didn't say, I do prefer this tone, thank you sir.

My observation was not intended to be aggressive towards you or anyone else. I just thought that your statement would probably be misconstrued. I've seen dozens of cases of people who completely fail in following simple procedures such as installing Chameleon on a PC (Hacintosh) or on an unsupported Intel Mac. And that happens even when the tutorial is just as detailed as Jabbawok's. Perhaps someone has no idea what MBR stands for and just skips that part, etc. Then things don't work, and the fellow comes to the conclusion that it's somebody else's fault, or that Apple made a mistake, or Chameleon is full of bugs. That's why I tried to avoid the impression that the Mavericks installer requires GPT for itself. As for Chameleon requiring MBR, that's not imperative for most modern machines, but it used to be required in the Hacintosh world, as many PCs wouldn't know what to do with a GPT disk, and I wouldn't be surprised if some early Intel Macs also failed to recognise GPT disks if not booted through EFI.

I guess this clarifies all pending issues. Sorry to have caused aggravation. My apologies.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
MVPF won't be supporting GMA 950 as we've pretty much gave up on it. OpenGL and OpenCL won't work on 950 so its pretty much useless. X3100 works but its buggy. Development on X1600 has completed. Stay tuned for more updates. Development on MLPF has been terminated temporarily as we're focusing on MVPF. For Mac Pros, we have a version of MVPF that does not require Chameleon to boot into Mavericks but you lose iMessage and FaceTime support. Mavericks has no changes to the filesystem, so. MBR will work but require a modified installer. Of course the installer will tell you its not compatible but that is false. (i didn't go thru everything, just skipped thru and read somewhere someones arguing about GPT n MBR, so hope this clears some stuffs up)

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
MVPF won't be supporting GMA 950 as we've pretty much gave up on it. OpenGL and OpenCL won't work on 950 so its pretty much useless. X3100 works but its buggy. Development on X1600 has completed. Stay tuned for more updates. Development on MLPF has been terminated temporarily as we're focusing on MVPF. For Mac Pros, we have a version of MVPF that does not require Chameleon to boot into Mavericks but you lose iMessage and FaceTime support. Mavericks has no changes to the filesystem, so. MBR will work but require a modified installer. Of course the installer will tell you its not compatible but that is false. (i didn't go thru everything, just skipped thru and read somewhere someones arguing about GPT n MBR, so hope this clears some stuffs up)

Thank You for chiming in! :)

Thoughtsponge

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Does anyone have any suggestions based on the log file I posted on P. 12? I feel like I'm so close to getting this to work!

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Mavericks installed successfully on 2008 XServe.

I upgraded the XServe OS drive on a different machine that IS supported, added the 2008 XServe to the PlatformSupport.plist file in /System/Library/CoreServices after installation to enable it to boot. That was all i had to do when i installed Mountain Lion on it originally.

However in this case i got a Kernel panic immediately upon starting up on Mavericks. This however was not to do with the XServe itself, rather a Small Tree 4 Port Gigabit network card that was installed in the XServe. The latest version of the driver for Mountain Lion causes a Kernel panic in Mavericks. Luckily Small Tree keep their drivers updated regularly, so i installed the latest 10.9 supported driver onto the OS from the other Mac, and it booted fine. Working like a champ.

As with Mountain Lion i also copied the X1300 graphics drivers from a Lion installation disk in order to make the graphics card work as well as possible. Though like with Mountain Lion it does struggle even when the drivers are working to work properly over Apple Remote Desktop, but that was always the case and it's a small price to pay for me to keep the XServe working as it's a brilliant bit of kit still.

Commandor

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012

Good to hear X1600 completed :) Looking forward to it

nick85

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
please remember the original thread .. booting the 64 kernel on the 2006/2007 mac pro

in 2011 we managed to boot the 64 bit kernel on the original mac pro.

too many "problems" here ... we have solved in the past !

So remember

http://bit.ly/1ipinVA

cheers

pat :apple:

Treksdot

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Houston, TX
Peter, my Chameleon is on a GUID partitioned disk.

Either I've gone total retard or you're mistaken about running Chameleon from a pure GPT disk. When I tried configuring Chameleon to run from a non-MBR formatted disk it failed to boot every time. Are you sure you're not actually running Chameleon from a GPT/MBR hybrid? If not, how?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Either I've gone total retard or you're mistaken about running Chameleon from a pure GPT disk. When I tried configuring Chameleon to run from a non-MBR formatted disk it failed to boot every time. Are you sure you're not actually running Chameleon from a GPT/MBR hybrid? If not, how?

Here is what I just did. I took a brand new 500GB HDD. Formatted GPT with 3 partitions (all HFS+). A 1GB for chameleon, 8GB for the Mavericks Installer, and the rest for OS X. Installed Chameleon on the 1GB and copied just the Extra folder (no mach_kernel or boot). Restored the Mavericks installer to the 8GB partition. Blessed the Chameleon boot and it starts right up. Choose the Mavericks Installer partiton and right now it is installing Mavericks on the OS X partition.

Update:
25 mins later rebooted... and now it's running Mavericks. Just had to select the Mavericks partition that now shows up in Chameleon.

Last edited:

Mjsais

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
[/COLOR]

I see your idea, but it isn't necessary. Look for Jabbawok's blog in Google. There you'll find everything you need. He and the guys at netkas deserve all the credit.[/QUOTE]

Peter; I already know how to install ML using the Jabbawok's method, but it seems from all the discussion in this forum that there are differences when installing Maverick. For example, do I need to change the name of the installer partition? Can I use the current Chameleon installation (r1921)? Do I need to modify the OSinstall.mpkg? I'm not trying to piss you off, I was just trying to benefit from your expertise. By the way, I also asked Jabbawok, but he no longer has a Mac Pro 1,1 that he can experiment in.
Regards

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Peter; I already know how to install ML using the Jabbawok's method, but it seems from all the discussion in this forum that there are differences when installing Maverick. For example, do I need to change the name of the installer partition? Can I use the current Chameleon installation (r1921)? Do I need to modify the OSinstall.mpkg? I'm not trying to piss you off, I was just trying to benefit from your expertise. By the way, I also asked Jabbawok, but he no longer has a Mac Pro 1,1 that he can experiment in.
Regards

I use the version of chameleon that was in Batman's link on page 2 or 3. You do not need to modify the OSinstall.mpkg. The name of the installer partition can be whatever you want it to be.

Treksdot

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Houston, TX
Regards

Second page of this thread is batmanofzurenarh's guide for installing Mavericks on a 1,1. His guide doesn't mention it but you will need the iMessages fix same as ML. Pretty straight forward and a little easier than getting ML installed was. You will need to update your copy of Chameleon though. If you've never done that before just use Chameleon Wizard; it's included in the package you'll download from that guide. Using said guide I went from 10.7.4 to a fresh 10.9 install.

iggifer

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
I'm on a Mac Pro 1,1 and hitting a really annoying (and presumably easy to fix) bug with Chameleon that is defeating me.

I have an Apple Radeon HD 5770 & Apple 30" Display and once Chameleon loads either the installer or Mavericks my display goes to sleep, if I unplug the DVI cable and plug it back in, the display works, but presumably Chameleon is looking at the Mini Display ports in preference over the DVI port

Any way to fix this?

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
Noticed Another Detail

Although I have no problem with this per se, I noticed that my fans spin up pretty loud after waking up from sleep. They go up for a few seconds and then they drop again to a barely noticeable hum.
Any idea what would cause this? I'm reporting "in the name of science".

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Although I have no problem with this per se, I noticed that my fans spin up pretty loud after waking up from sleep. They go up for a few seconds and then they drop again to a barely noticeable hum.
Any idea what would cause this? I'm reporting "in the name of science".

You might be able to use SMC fan control to keep them at the normal speeds.

My GPU fans run fast but unfortunately there is no way to control them in OS X that I can find. My card has two built in fan profiles, silent and performance, and neither of them make a difference. When I first boot up OS X they are fine for a while but it eventually gets noisy. Logging out and back in slows them back down to normal.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Regards

You don't need to change the name of the Installer partition ("Installer" is fine; remember to change it back to "Installer" after restoring the image onto it). Chamelon r1921 might not support Mavericks. You'd be better off with Chameleon-2.2svn-r2258.pkg. According to some, OSInstall.mpkg modification is unnecessary; however, I modified it, since I didn't want any surprises. According to some, copying mach_kernel to the root of the Maverichs installer partition (i.e., "Installer") isn't necessary, but I tend not to believe such claims. Lastly, the ONLY thing that changes is the name of the disk installer image path prior to mounting the relevant dmg. The path is no longer "/Volumes/Mac OS X...", but simply "/Volumes/OS X..." Other than that, everything works as explained by Jabbawok. Naturally, for all this to work, remember that you need to have a newer graphics card. The basic card that came with the Mac Pro 1,1 will never do.

One more thing: If you want Messages to work, you need to look for "FileNVRAM.dylib" and place it in /Extra/modules in your Chameleon boot partition ("BOOT"). You also need to create a file named "nvram.uuid.plist" with relevant information that you can get booting into Snow Leopard or Lion, and then placing that file in /Extra of your Chameleon partition ("BOOT"). That should be all.

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
You might be able to use SMC fan control to keep them at the normal speeds.

My GPU fans run fast but unfortunately there is no way to control them in OS X that I can find. My card has two built in fan profiles, silent and performance, and neither of them make a difference. When I first boot up OS X they are fine for a while but it eventually gets noisy. Logging out and back in slows them back down to normal.

Thanks for the feedback.
Like I said, everything seems to be perfectly fine, except the for the 30 seconds that follow the wake up.
I tried to run a game full settings with the 5770 and the fans do speed up, but they are still very quiet.
This is more of a full speed-full on fan performance when it wakes up. I'm not really bothered by it, I was rather curious to find out what causes it and whether or not someone knows what causes it.
My biggest problem still is Windows ruining my setup. I have read about it, but I can't find anyone in my situation or anyone who has done this without reinstalling Windows.
I have a full installation of legit AutoDesk AutoCAD design suite (there are about 10 applications installed) and I really don't want to go through that one more time.

I did have a utility for the Mac that controls the fans speed. I don't remember what I did with it, it was in the previous Lion install that I just got rid of...
I'll look for its name and I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT:

Here's the CNet Link (I hope I'm allowed to post another site's link here):

http://download.cnet.com/Fan-Control/3000-18487_4-126126.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.