Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
I have 3 partitions and dual boot Mavericks and Windows. I got Mavericks booting with Chameleon first and then installed Windows. Once done the windows install you have to set the active partition, using the cmd prompt and DiskPart.exe, to the Mavericks partition. My 3rd partition is where Chameleon is located.

When partitioning the drive (using your existing OS 10.7 install) set the drive up as a GUID. 1GB partition HFS+, OS X partition HFS+ and Windows partition FAT. When installing Windows you will have to reformat the FAT partition as NTFS using the Windows installer.

Hi, I don't know if you can chime in, but my problem is that I had a Bootcamp partition prior to going through with installing Mavericks. I was booting it (or Lion) by either going into the startup disk control panel or by holding option down at the chime.
So, I need to know what to do in my situation, since I already have the Windows partition.

I had read that the issue is with Windows setting itself up as a startup partition (BTW, it somehow damages the chameleon partition, I had to re-bless every time Windows started up on me, or I would no longer be able to use the boot loader), but I cannot find a guide that sets up the drives given my circumstances.

Thoughtsponge

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Okay! Now the chameleon bootloader seems to work, but it tells me there is no bootable device. Could I have mucked up part of the process somewhere?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Okay! Now the chameleon bootloader seems to work, but it tells me there is no bootable device. Could I have mucked up part of the process somewhere?

Honestly I am running into this same situation now when trying to mess with another drive that has two partitions, one with 10.7.5 and one with chameleon. I reset my PRAM and boot into 10.7.5 without chameleon and then bless the chameleon partition but when I try to boot I get that same message. If I put my working HDD with chameleon, Mavericks, and Windows 7 in, everything works fine. I can't figure out how to get the other Chameleon install to work. It's like it is trying to boot into legacy mode but can't seem to find the Chameleon boot.

Last edited:

Thoughtsponge

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
I noticed that the Chameleon Installer log on the StartUp Disk states that there was an active Windows partition and then it deferred to that. I wonder, if I deleted my windows partition from the Macintosh HD, could there be a residual part of the Windows partition causing the problem?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I noticed that the Chameleon Installer log on the StartUp Disk states that there was an active Windows partition and then it deferred to that. I wonder, if I deleted my windows partition from the Macintosh HD, could there be a residual part of the Windows partition causing the problem?

I don't know if that is the issue or not. It might be the case with mine too since when I was using that HDD I was also using bootcamp to boot Windows on a second HDD which is no longer installed in the system. When I put it my single HDD that I setup as a clean install for both OS X and Windows, it works perfectly.

Thoughtsponge

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
I don't know if that is the issue or not. It might be the case with mine too since when I was using that HDD I was also using bootcamp to boot Windows on a second HDD which is no longer installed in the system. When I put it my single HDD that I setup as a clean install for both OS X and Windows, it works perfectly.

This is what pops up in the log file after I get that "no boot device screen".

Chameleon installer log - Sun Oct 27 23:26:03 PDT 2013
Installer version: 2.2svn 2247
======================================================
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Sans titre 239.7 GB disk0s2
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Startup Disk 1.1 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS OS X Install 99.6 GB disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS Media Tome 148.9 GB disk1s4
/dev/disk2
0: GUID_partition_scheme *300.1 GB disk2
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data MEDIA 50.1 GB disk2s2
3: Apple_HFS Carbon Copy 249.7 GB disk2s3
Backup Chameleon files
Clearing options...
Running Standard postinstall script
Target volume = /Volumes/Startup Disk on /dev/disk1s2
Target disk already has existing Chameleon stage 0 loader - boot0md (boot0workV2).
Detected a Windows installation on this volume.
Stage 0 loader not written to /dev/disk1.
Written boot1h to /dev/rdisk1s2.
Written boot to /Volumes/Startup Disk on /dev/disk1s2.
Preparing to check target disk for previous installations.
Going to check the EFI system partition also.
Mounting /dev/disk1s1 as /Volumes/EFI.
Checking disk1.
Nothing found that could cause any problems.
Disk: /dev/rdisk1 geometry: 30401/255/63 [488397168 sectors]
Signature: 0xAA55
Starting Ending
#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 488397167] <Unknown ID>
2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

Windows is installed so that can remain the active partition
Standard script complete
Running Post postinstall script
Target volume = /Volumes/Startup Disk
===============================================
Unmount all volumes named EFI
/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.P0EEpq/Scripts/org.chameleon.post.bB1tm6/UnMountEFIvolumes.sh: line 25: /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.P0EEpq/Scripts/org.chameleon.post.bB1tm6/InstallLog.sh: No such file or directory
/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.P0EEpq/Scripts/org.chameleon.post.bB1tm6/UnMountEFIvolumes.sh: line 26: /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.P0EEpq/Scripts/org.chameleon.post.bB1tm6/InstallLog.sh: No such file or directory
Post postinstall script complete

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
My fight so far - any hints?

Ok, folks, this is my setup:

- Mac Pro 1,1
- 2x 2TB Segate HDs.

What I did so far:

I followed all the guides here, and got the installer running on one of my disks (disk A). I couldn't install it on the same disk, as the installer requires a GUID partition. So I installed Mavericks on the other disk (disk B), over a Mountain Lion partition. It didn't complain, and installed perfectly.
When rebooting, Chameleon wouldn't "see" the other HD at all. I couldn't boot from the newly installed system. Then I restored that partition to disk A, and it worked perfectly! However, I'd like the OS to be running from the other disk, as I'm not so sure it is safe to keep running OS X from an MBR-partitioned HD (albeit it is installed on an hfs+ partition).

So I repartitioned drive B, and cloned (restored) the partition back there. Not working.

So, summary, on my experience, I am having two major problems:
1 - unable to make Chameleon to see another 2TB drive;
2 - Getting rid of an annoying and delaying EBIOS read error when starting up.

Can anyone with or without a similar setup offer some piece of advice?

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Please don't spread misinformation. Most definitely, the Mavericks installer does NOT require a GUID partition.

Peter,

I'm "spreading" what I saw. The installer DID refused to install Mavericks on a partition saying it could only do so on a GUID-partitioned hd.

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Please don't spread misinformation. Most definitely, the Mavericks installer does NOT require a GUID partition.

Here you go. Or shouldn't I spread this as well?

Attachments

• foto.JPG
    foto.JPG
    650.7 KB · Views: 184

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Peter,

I'm "spreading" what I saw. The installer DID refused to install Mavericks on a partition saying it could only do so on a GUID-partitioned hd.

You are spreading ABSOLUTELY WRONG, FALSE information. The demonstration of its UTTER FALSEHOOD is obvious: My Mavericks installer partition resides in a MBR-partitioned disk. I designed it that way, because that disk contains: 1) The Chameleon boot, which MUST reside in a MBR disk; 2) the Mavericks installer partition; 3) my backup unit.

So, no matter what you may have seen or failed to see, you completely misunderstand what you see. Once again, stop spreading absurd information, and don't give advice about what you so blatantly are ignorant of.

Don't confuse the installer partiion (which needn't be GUID) with the Mavericks installED partition, which SHOULD be GUID).

EDIT: To clarify the matter: The Mavericks installer partition is the partition that contains everything necessary to INSTALL (not run) Mavericks. This partition NEEDN'T be GPT. Naturally, the installer itself will complain if you try to install Mavericks to a non-GPT disk (where Mavericks is to be run).

Last edited:

Cryder

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
An answer about ATI X1600 has already been provided a few pages before. See post #192. It has potential but, today, you'd have to experiment pretty much on your own...
I'd like to experiment on my own, but I can't boot into Mavericks installation. That's why I ask for the MVPF version that hackerwayne said, just for boot into that partition and experiment.

kjricso

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
USA
Kjricso, you've already been told 3 or 4 times: Mavericks does not support GMA X3100-based MacBooks. ML did not either, so the trick was to use 32bit MLPF but there's no such trick for Mavericks.

Which part of the word 'No' do you have trouble understanding???

One last time, if you install Mavericks on your early-2008 Black MacBook4,1 (2.4GHz T8300), it'll run like crap so don't bother! Just stick to Lion or MLPF.

We'll be downloading it first hand and get it tested out :p - From HackerWayne & MLForAll (MLPostFactor)

What we know so far.

- Won't work with anything that doesn't run Mountain Lion.
- EFI64 only, just like 10.8.
- 64-bit support for older Macs (that currently runs MLPFv0.3) is not going to be easy as many things has changed.

SUCCESS!!! Maverick on old 2006 iMac!! Pics up later.

Got it working on X3100 based MacBooks too. Tons of issues. Bugs and glitches everywhere and graphics doesn't quite work yet. Its gonna be like how MLPF started at first. So be patient. :)

This is what I was talking about. I know your not able to get this to work but hackerwayne might be able to.

Last edited:

Cryder

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
MVPF has not been released. Can't you boot or run the Mavericks installation app?
If I could run the installation app I wouldn't be here. My iMac is a late 2006, so it's not officially supported, and the app refuses to install. That's why I need something like MLPF to boot from an install partition and update a ML partition.

I've restored the MV installer in a partition (restoring the OS X Base System dmg and later copying the packages folder), but I can't boot into it. I've tried with chameleon and refit/refind, but it's impossible.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
You are spreading ABSOLUTELY WRONG, FALSE information. The demonstration of its UTTER FALSEHOOD is obvious: My Mavericks installer partition resides in a MBR-partitioned disk. I designed it that way, because that disk contains: 1) The Chameleon boot, which MUST reside in a MBR disk; 2) the Mavericks installer partition; 3) my backup unit.

So, no matter what you may have seen or failed to see, you completely misunderstand what you see. Once again, stop spreading absurd information, and don't give advice about what you so blatantly are ignorant of.

Don't confuse the installer partiion (which needn't be GUID) with the Mavericks installED partition, which SHOULD be GUID).

EDIT: To clarify the matter: The Mavericks installer partition is the partition that contains everything necessary to INSTALL (not run) Mavericks. This partition NEEDN'T be GPT. Naturally, the installer itself will complain if you try to install Mavericks to a non-GPT disk (where Mavericks is to be run).

Peter, my Chameleon is on a GUID partitioned disk. PLEAS DO NOT SPREAD MISINFORMATION. You are also reading what he was saying wrong. The installer does require a GPT be used on the drive where you want to install OS X. That is all he was saying. There is no need to jump down everyone throats.

Last edited:

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Peter, my Chameleon is on a GUID partitioned disk. PLEAS DO NOT SPREAD MISINFORMATION.

Yes, I know that is a possibility. But that isn't misinformation. The standard installation of Chamelon is on MBR (see Jabbawok's blog, the most complete guide to installing ML/Mavericks on a Mac Pro 1,1; all others are unnecessary). The same thing happens with Windows on a Mac Pro. It is advised that it be installed on GPT, but it will work on MBR as well. The same way, it is advised that Chameleon be installed on MBR. And again, spreading the notion that the Mavericks installer must be GPT is not only ridiculous, but false. Period.

Mjsais

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Hennesie2000 & Peter Holbrook, you two are oviosly very knowledgeable about how to install Maverick in a Mac Pro. I understand that you probably think that all the info needed to do this is already in this forum, but some of us are having a tough time comprehending all the steps. What I'm requesting is for you two to put together a step by step on how to upgrade a Mac Pro that is currently running ML using the Jabbawok installation. People like me that aren't as knowledgeable as you, would definately appriciate it.

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011

Contrary to you, I prefer to keep the discussion in a civilized tone, and I won't proceed to this rude tone of yours.
I do have Mavericks installed on an MBR partition, which does NOT mean it was originally installed like that, as obviously the installer refuses to do so.

My information was not false, Here's what I said:

I couldn't install it on the same disk, as the installer requires a GUID partition. So I installed Mavericks on the other disk (disk B), over a Mountain Lion partition. It didn't complain, and installed perfectly.

While what I said can be read as "the installer requires for itself to be on a GUID-partitioned drive", what I meant, of course, is that the installer requires the destination partition to be in a GPT-partitioned hd. I may not have given all the detailed info, which does not mean I gave false information. This was done the same way as you when you said (and then edited later) that you've got a Maverick running on an MBR-partitioned disk (which I've got as well). You are of course omitting that you didn't install it that way, which doesn't make your info false, just incomplete.

So before behaving in such an aggressive way in a public environment and demand 100% correctness of people (arrogantly so, by the way), you should apply the same standards to what you say here as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.