Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
Here's a real challenge and one of the rare potential targets for MVPF if it follows the same principles as MLPF. MLPF 64bit did support the ATI X1600, so this one could have a chance of running Mavericks with the 64bit kexts.

----------

I don't believe that card was even supported in ML; you will probably find you need to replace that card by a more modern/more common card that is supported by ML and Mav.

Unless you can fiddle with the ATI/AMD kexts and patch them to support your card. You can always check if its PCI ids are covered by the current kexts.

RV-ABZ: Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I thought it would be so. I don't mind buying a 5770 (matter of fact, I had already planned that), I would just like to know if I can get it to run this way, until I either find a place where to pick a 5770 up or I get it shipped from Apple…
As far as doing what you suggested, I am not that sound in that area, I would have to ask somebody who has any idea of what they're doing…
I'll ask around, maybe a hackintosh site?

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I sure wished you lived near Omaha, Nebraska. I can't figure out Chameleon for the life of me on my 1,1. I'd gladly pay someone to show me how.

Another successful and drama free Mac Pro 1,1 installation.

Just restored the public release installer to an install partition on a spare drive, configured chameleon to boot from it, copied the mach kernel from within the distribution to the root folder and restarted. Took about 20 mins give-or-take to install.

Seems nice, smooth and snappy so far. There's plenty of life in the old dog yet.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
How did you do the restore? What DMG from the installer did you use?

I basically slightly modified version of batmanofzurenarh's install procedure with a few changes for the public release version.

1) ... Didn't need this

2) Find the installer in Applications and right clicked for "Show Package Contents"

3) Navigate to “/Contents/SharedSupport”, then mount “InstallESD.dmg”

4) Next we will need to mount “BaseSystem.dmg”.

In terminal run open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

5) Open up Disk Utility again and click on “BaseSystem.dmg” in the sidebar, then proceed to the “Restore” tab.

6) Make sure “BaseSystem.dmg” is the source image. Drag “OS X Install” into “Destination”, afterwards hit the “Restore” button at the bottom of the window.

7) Navigate to “/System/Installation” on your “OS X Install” drive and delete the “Packages” link, then copy the “Packages” folder from “OS X Install ESD” (mounted on your desktop) to this folder.

8) Copy “mach_kernel” and “boot” (included in the package provided to you) to the root of your “OS X Install” drive.

The only exception was part 8, where I used the boot file he mentioned (downloadable from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...o 1,1/OS X 10.9 DP Bundle for Mac Pro 1,1.zip) but I wanted to make sure I had the most up to date kernel that shipped with mavericks, so I used pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to open the relevant package and extract the mavericks kernel from the public release version. You could probably still use the kernel from the above link if you're not sure how to extract it, or I could probably upload the kernel somewhere if you want it.

I sure wished you lived near Omaha, Nebraska. I can't figure out Chameleon for the life of me on my 1,1. I'd gladly pay someone to show me how.

If you send me a PM and we can arrange a mutually convenient time, I can probably talk you through it on skype or something (no cost obviously!!!)

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Your method would also work, of course, but it isn't necessary. If you want a detailed tutorial, look for Jabbawok's blog. Beware: the last time I read it, it was tailored for ML, not Mavericks per se. There's a subtle difference: the name of the installer image in /Volumes.

Back to your original issue, don't know if you are still having it. I was able to run the Mavericks installer on my Mac Pro 1,1 with the SMBios.plist keys all set for a Mac Pro 1,1. It went smoothly and then booted right up. The installer didn't get stuck at all.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Back to your original issue, don't know if you are still having it. I was able to run the Mavericks installer on my Mac Pro 1,1 with the SMBios.plist keys all set for a Mac Pro 1,1. It went smoothly and then booted right up. The installer didn't get stuck at all.

Yeah, it went smoothly for me too. I got the impression that perhaps they'd removed some of the supported system checks, because they assumed that the App Store itself would filter out those who aren't eligible (and those who manage to get it and boot it are probably hacking their Pros and will bypass it anyway).

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
No problem. I know I might have sound a bit noobish, it's just a bit new to me. I catch on quick though.

I am proud to say that I have had success using chameleon. I installed Mavericks on to a HDD formatted with 1 partition and GUID using a supported MacBook Pro. Setup the user and then shutdown. Installed the Mavericks HDD into my Mac Pro 1,1 and booted up 10.7.5. I then installed chameleon on to the same partition as the Mavericks install. Modified the SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I also used the Chameleon Wizard to update to the latest release. Then I used the bless command. Reboot and all works. Sound, Resolution, Sleep, iCloud, iMessage. This method does not require a second boot drive or boot partition. It only requires a supported Mac. If you don't have one maybe you have a friend who does, and they are willing to lend it to you for 30 mins.

With a processor upgrade to 8 cores maybe I can get another few years out of it.

Update 3:
Got iMessage working again. Had to put a dylib file into a 'modules' folder inside the 'Extra' folder. Also for good measure I started over with a fresh SMBios.plist from batmanofzurenarh. Sleep DOES work with 10.9.

The inital boot screen (the grey one with the apple logo) is still not the right size but that no big deal.

I'm going out to buy an external case and do it the way you did, because I'm having no success with the method described by batmanofzurenarh, and it would require me 2 HD's.

Could you please post again your Extra folder? I tried the version you uploaded but it's not there anymore.

Also, do you know which version of Chameleon should I use, and which settings? I keep getting Boot0 following batmanofzurenarh's guide - dunno if it has to do with the fact that I'm trying to do it from an MLPF OS X 10.8 system.

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
I basically slightly modified version of batmanofzurenarh's install procedure with a few changes for the public release version.

1) ... Didn't need this

You could probably still use the kernel from the above link if you're not sure how to extract it, or I could probably upload the kernel somewhere if you want it.

Could you please tell me from which packages you got the mach_kernel? Is there a "boot" file as well?

So, if I understood you correctly, you restored the OS installer to an image, installed chameleon on the same partiton, booted from it, and installed to another drive/partition, right?

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Update your installer drive to Mavericks, then when the mac boots up choose the installer drive to boot from then install the mavericks as an upgrade to ML let it finish it restarts back to the Macintosh HD and you are good to go

Thanks! But I guess this implies having used Chameleon before, right? Thing is, my ML is running through MLPF... :(

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Yep - I used that boot with the kernel I just posted.

Have you had any luck installing chameleon yet?

No, unfortunately not. It seems that my HD is not supported out of the box. You said in an earlier post that you configured chameleon. How did you do that? Did you just edit the plist that's on the Extra folder, or did you run the wizard?
Do you also do the bless thing?

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
No, unfortunately not. It seems that my HD is not supported out of the box. You said in an earlier post that you configured chameleon. How did you do that? Did you just edit the plist that's on the Extra folder, or did you run the wizard?
Do you also do the bless thing?

Check your PMs - easier to chat on skype or a messenger or something.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I'm going out to buy an external case and do it the way you did, because I'm having no success with the method described by batmanofzurenarh, and it would require me 2 HD's.

Could you please post again your Extra folder? I tried the version you uploaded but it's not there anymore.

Also, do you know which version of Chameleon should I use, and which settings? I keep getting Boot0 following batmanofzurenarh's guide - dunno if it has to do with the fact that I'm trying to do it from an MLPF OS X 10.8 system.

https://mega.co.nz/#!G1hHQRrI!Wu3hOF2dJyU-CMDOH8bqIGgOIIIJaGK5S64bdg9nXWQ

I did not drag a boot file or mach_kernel file to the root. Just install chameleon and then copy the extra folder. Change the serial number in the SMBios.plist. I used the version of Chameleon that batman had posted but then I updated it to the newest version using the Chameleon Wizard.

Also when I am done testing this weekend I have typed up a guide that I will post.

Last edited:

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
https://mega.co.nz/#!G1hHQRrI!Wu3hOF2dJyU-CMDOH8bqIGgOIIIJaGK5S64bdg9nXWQ

I did not drag a boot file or mach_kernel file to the root. Just install chameleon and then copy the extra folder. Change the serial number in the SMBios.plist. I used the version of Chameleon that batman had posted but then I updated it to the newest version using the Chameleon Wizard.

Also when I am done testing this weekend I have typed up a guide that I will post.

Thanks Hennesie2000. I guess I have a problem of another sort - my HD is a 2TB one, and it seems chameleon has issues with it... :(

Oculos

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Just a brief report on doing this install on big HD's.

I don't know if this will or is a problem to anyone, but I thought it might help someone with a similar issue:

I have 2tb seagate drives. I was getting a boot0: error message when installing. Then, with the help of some guides on the net (and the patient guidance of Snowshiro, to whom I publicly express my gratitude here), I finally managed to get the installer running.

The secret, wildly available on the net, is to run a 'sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2" (considering you are in a folder with a boot1h and s2 your booting partition).

There are lots of explanations on the net of why this needs to be done when getting a boot0: error.

Thing is, when doing this, I got past the boot0: error, but got another EBIOS read error. I was about to give up, but the secret is that, after around 7min (YMMV), it booted into the installer.

So patience is the secret here. Now the installer is running and I believe the machine will happily boot Mavericks! :)

kjricso

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
USA
Macbook Early 2008 if or when

If anyone is able to get 10.9 to work with a macbook 2008 please PM me thanks.

Weedmon

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
I have a Mac Pro 1.1 with a ATI Radeon HD 4870 und Snow Leopard installed. Does this fit with Mavericks?
If it does, can I put the other Partitions (Recovery etc.) on a second HDD? Becaus my SSD inside only has 64GB so I would install on it only the main partition. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother language.

THX and greetz,
Weedmon

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
A couple of questions

Hi, I ended up locating a 5770 and purchasing it, so my MacPro 1.1 is now running Mavericks and most stuff seems to work fine.
I do have a couple of questions:
My CPUs show up as Intel Core 2 Duo (2 x 2.99 GHz). I have 2 x 3.0 GHz Xeons.
The 5770 shows up as 5000.
I also did a Geekbench 64 Bit test and the score is lower than it was under Lion.
If anyone can explain to me if this is normal or if there is something I need to change, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
I have 2tb seagate drives. I was getting a boot0: error message when installing. Then, with the help of some guides on the net (and the patient guidance of Snowshiro, to whom I publicly express my gratitude here), I finally managed to get the installer running.

That was good fun. These are still such great machines - I'm glad you're going to stick with it instead of a mini. Good luck with upgrades as well.

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
I have a Mac Pro 1.1 with a ATI Radeon HD 4870 und Snow Leopard installed. Does this fit with Mavericks?
If it does, can I put the other Partitions (Recovery etc.) on a second HDD? Becaus my SSD inside only has 64GB so I would install on it only the main partition. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother language.

THX and greetz,
Weedmon

Mine booted with a 3870 on. Screen was not proper resolution and there was no way to change it, but it worked. I posted that a couple of pages back. I am now on a 5770, so things are looking good.

HonestLai

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
So, in short, there is absolutely NO way to force Mavericks upgrade on a MacBook4, 1

Actually, using info on this thread, I was able to successfully install it on my MB4,1 pretty smoothly.

Main issues I'm working out now are:
1. Graphics: CE/CL accélération
2. No Sound
3. No Sleep
4. No response to brightness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.