Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hi, I ended up locating a 5770 and purchasing it, so my MacPro 1.1 is now running Mavericks and most stuff seems to work fine.
I do have a couple of questions:
My CPUs show up as Intel Core 2 Duo (2 x 2.99 GHz). I have 2 x 3.0 GHz Xeons.
The 5770 shows up as 5000.
I also did a Geekbench 64 Bit test and the score is lower than it was under Lion.
If anyone can explain to me if this is normal or if there is something I need to change, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

You need to add a CPU type to you org.chameleon.bios.plist to correct the CPU. Look at my files I posted. I think the type is 1281.

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
You need to add a CPU type to you org.chameleon.bios.plist to correct the CPU. Look at my files I posted. I think the type is 1281.

Thank you, it is the first time around for me doing this stuff. I will try that later or tomorrow, I need to do somethings.
I did think there was something int that file, but I was not sure about what to do.

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005

I did so and managed.

I now have Dual-Core Intel Xeon.
The clock speed however, is still set to 2.99 GHz as opposed to 3.0?
Does this change anything, or is it just naming?
Sorry, bear with me...
And of course, thank you very much for all the help!

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I did so and managed.

I now have Dual-Core Intel Xeon.
The clock speed however, is still set to 2.99 GHz as opposed to 3.0?
Does this change anything, or is it just naming?
Sorry, bear with me...
And of course, thank you very much for all the help!

It's just cosmetic but I think using the Chameleon Wizard you can change the displayed clock speed.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Hello,

Does anybody know, or have any experience of being able to dual boot Snow Leopard with Mavericks? Can I just partition and install another SL on my HD, then migrate what I want to keep (which will be obsolete on mavericks) to the partition with my preferences etc and upgrade my main system to Mavericks?

I am just concerned that there maybe firmware updates to my system which may prevent the use of SL on my machine afterwards.

I wish to retain about 50GB for PPC older Quark and other programs I do not need upgrade at this time.

FYI, I have a 2011 iMac and older machines.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

mtcross

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Using batmanofzurenar's and the chameleon method, when it ends the boot sequence the screen goes black and the machine becomes unresponsive. I have the 8800GT on my mac pro 1,1 and this set up ran almost flawlessly with ML prior. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem with an 8800GT. I can hear the voice over on the Mavericks install telling me to press enter for English but the screen is black. The screen also goes black if I select my Lion boot disk so I think it's something to do with the Chameleon startup disk. I'm hoping to find a setting that's specific to ATI versus Nvidia because I see all the people having success are running ATI cards.

Edit #1: After continuing to read the thread I see that this was resolved by Hennesie2000 in post #169. Going to try it now!

Edit #2: Adding the GraphicsEnabler entry to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file worked for me.

Last edited:

gio64

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
You did a fresh install, not an upgrade through AppleMenu->Software update, which remains impossible unless you make your MB4,1 pretend it is a compatible newer/better model.

For all interested parties (and there are several...), how does it run/feel without graphics acceleration?

I geek benched it. I had an issue with it showing Intel Core 2 Duo instead of Xeon. I don't know if this means anything, but it scored in 64 Bit mode about 450 less than Lion. Once fixed the Xeon, I re-ran the test and the score was slightly higher than the one in Lion.

As far as the performance, I don't see differences at the moment. I'll try to encode some stuff and see how that goes.

...So, there's no graphics acceleration? Can it be implemented?

One more thing: After downloading the dylib iMessage works fine.
Also, this computer has become quieter than a whisper... I was reading a couple of days ago in regards to a Mac model "you have to NOT HEAR IT to realize how quiet it is"... It is amazing. In Lion I also had an issue that prevented it from sleeping. It is gone now.

----------

Absolutely, you can edit your SMBIOS plist to modify cosmetic info such as CPU clock or RAM speed.

This being said, once Chameleon has been updated to reflect true Xeon CPU id, a reported speed of 2.99GHz is quite the same as the manufacturer's advertised speed of 3.0GHz ;)

Like I said to Hennessie, I'm a noob at this stuff.
How do I input the string for those 2?

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hello,

Does anybody know, or have any experience of being able to dual boot Snow Leopard with Mavericks? Can I just partition and install another SL on my HD, then migrate what I want to keep (which will be obsolete on mavericks) to the partition with my preferences etc and upgrade my main system to Mavericks?

I am just concerned that there maybe firmware updates to my system which may prevent the use of SL on my machine afterwards.

I wish to retain about 50GB for PPC older Quark and other programs I do not need upgrade at this time.

FYI, I have a 2011 iMac and older machines.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Just setup mavericks on a new partition with chameleon and then bless the chameleon boot. I dual booted lion and mavericks for a while so I could migrate all my docs, photos and music. Now I just use chameleon to dual boot Mavericks and Windows 7.

----------

Like I said to Hennessie, I'm a noob at this stuff.
How do I input the string for those 2?

Use the Chameleon Wizard to modify the SMBios. It will add the right strings for you an you can enter in the key values.

indiecraig

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Kjricso, you've already been told 3 or 4 times: Mavericks does not support GMA X3100-based MacBooks. ML did not either, so the trick was to use 32bit MLPF but there's no such trick for Mavericks.

Which part of the word 'No' do you have trouble understanding???

One last time, if you install Mavericks on your early-2008 Black MacBook4,1 (2.4GHz T8300), it'll run like crap so don't bother! Just stick to Lion or MLPF.

This is what I came here to learn. It's slightly disappointing that it won't work, but I have been considering upgrading for a year or so already.

Please don't get angry at me for asking this though:
You say that "there's no such trick for Mavericks". By this do you mean that there's not such trick YET, or that no such trick will EVER be possible. If the latter, then I will start saving for a new computer!

Thanks,
Craig.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
This is what I came here to learn. It's slightly disappointing that it won't work, but I have been considering upgrading for a year or so already.

Please don't get angry at me for asking this though:
You say that "there's no such trick for Mavericks". By this do you mean that there's not such trick YET, or that no such trick will EVER be possible. If the latter, then I will start saving for a new computer!

Thanks,
Craig.

There was a MLPF because there were some 32bit kext left behind in ML DP1 that made it possible to put together a 32bit running Mt Lion. This is not the case with Mavericks. There are no 64bit drivers for the older graphics hence it won't boot. So unless someone writes a bunch of 64bit kext for those older graphics then there is no chance. Correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding of this whole issue.

scara

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Is there a trick to getting chameleon to boot?
I've tried the -setBoot -legacy parameter, but I only get an extra "efi boot" option. The drive has a mbr lay-out.

The system is a Mac Pro 1. Does the drive position matter? I'm using a clean snow leopard install to perform the bless.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Is there a trick to getting chameleon to boot?
I've tried the -setBoot -legacy parameter, but I only get an extra "efi boot" option. The drive has a mbr lay-out.

The system is a Mac Pro 1. Does the drive position matter? I'm using a clean snow leopard install to perform the bless.

No, there isn't a "trick" as such. Make sure your syntax and the volume name are correct. My advice is that you look for Jabbawok's blog and follow it with attention, taking care to "translate" his "ML instructions" to the corresponding "Mavericks instructions" contributed by several people in the blog.

hezr

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Do you also have a Windows install/partition?

I do not.

I have 2 SATA drives mirrored for the existing snow leopard install with a PATA to Compact Flash adapter which I installed Chameleon on. On the compact flash card I have 2 partitions, the first has Chameleon installed and the second I've copied over the Mavericks install files. After following the instructions and rebooting, I get the black screen with "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" (I am assuming this black screen during boot is Chameleon booting but don't know how to verify that) or if I hold down option when booting I only see my old install and not the Chameleon install.

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I do not.

I have 2 SATA drives mirrored for the existing snow leopard install with a PATA to Compact Flash adapter which I installed Chameleon on. On the compact flash card I have 2 partitions, the first has Chameleon installed and the second I've copied over the Mavericks install files. After following the instructions and rebooting, I get the black screen with "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" (I am assuming this black screen during boot is Chameleon booting but don't know how to verify that) or if I hold down option when booting I only see my old install and not the Chameleon install.

Have you ever booted using the PATA adapter installed like that before? It sounds like that device is not being found on boot. Which is why when holding option it is not recognized. You are able to bless it when running 10.6 because it shows up then. However it is not loading that device at boot and you are getting the no bootable device found because it can't find the chameleon install.

hezr

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Have you ever booted using the PATA adapter installed like that before? It sounds like that device is not being found on boot. Which is why when holding option it is not recognized. You are able to bless it when running 10.6 because it shows up then. However it is not loading that device at boot and you are getting the no bootable device found because it can't find the chameleon install.

Interesting.... Any ideas for getting around this? I'd rather no have to boot of a large noisy older pata drive.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Interesting.... Any ideas for getting around this? I'd rather no have to boot of a large noisy older pata drive.

If you are setting up a new HDD you can create the startup partition on there. I tried a method of creating a chameleon/installer partition on an existing OS 10.7.5 partition using disk utility and I was also getting the "no bootable device found...". I was hoping that I would be able to upgrade a 10.7.5 install using only the Mac Pro. I will have to mess around with it more later.

Last edited:

DK Hedgefund

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Thx Guys for the input in this thread.

Are the owner of a mac pro1 (2x2.66mhz 5150 zeon with the original std. 256 mb Nvidia grafik GT Card and with 7GB 667 ram)

Useally im 95 % of the time booted up in Windows, and it Works great, ewen thow the grafikcard from times to time comes short, when running realtimes stock & quotes streaming program on multiple screens, but its okay, and useable at the time.

Are planning a clean OSX install on one of the disks (got 4 sata, and 1 Intel 80 GB SSD inside and some external Networks disks)

And was wondering when I lately have heard about the new free Mavericks OSX in the news, if that was a choice.

But it seems it aint, due to some lack in grafic codes and same goes for ML.

But what is preferable then.. Lion ' or Snov Leopard for this older mac pro on a SSD intel disk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.