Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I installed it on a secondary drive on my MBP. Everything seems to work fine, although I did notice my MBP gets much hotter than when its running Mavericks.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I installed it on my main machine (a new Mac Pro). There were some of my older apps that no longer worked, which I expected. But some others continued to function fine. So far no major glitches, and I like the interface a lot more than Mavericks. And it's a lot speedier now.

I did have a Time Machine backup, just in case. But so far I've had no regrets.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
I'm currently running Yosemite as Daily drive.. On a spare drive ... I only re boot to Mavs to run my cloud backup then re-boot into Yosemite ... Since Yosemite is BETA - I can just Boot Mavs n reinstall Yosemite if a major bug or issue that I can't figure out to resolve it ..

Are you Krazy of thinking of putting BETA software on Main boot drive while still in BETA phase? :rolleyes:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm currently running Yosemite as Daily drive.. On a spare drive ... I only re boot to Mavs to run my cloud backup then re-boot into Yosemite ... Since Yosemite is BETA - I can just Boot Mavs n reinstall Yosemite if a major bug or issue that I can't figure out to resolve it ..

Precisely what I do too. Better safe than sorry.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I did not install Yosemite as my daily driver, but put it on an external SSD. I'm glad I did because, as expected, it's buggy. If this was my regular OS, I'd not be too happy.

How'd the performance on an external SSD? I have an external HDD with 10,000RPM and it's pretty solid on that, can't imagine an SSD.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
How'd the performance on an external SSD? I have an external HDD with 10,000RPM and it's pretty solid on that, can't imagine an SSD.

It's really good. It's a Samsung 830 SSD connected to a USB 3 port. I hardly notice a difference between this and the internal 840 EVO. Though I know there is a big difference when running Blackmagic on them. But, for all practical purposes, it runs great this way.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
what are you on about mate? that's not the case at all. i type "saf"[enter] and safari comes up. "chr" [enter] as fast as i can type it and chrome loads immediately.

well, mine didn't. maybe it was still indexing? i don't know. i'll try again. but i'm SO used to alfred (we are talking years here) and they promised a very big update.. so i'm not sure.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
A little buggy, works well on a new Mac Pro. Mostly ran into issues with third party software, no problem with Adobe software though, which is great news.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
After using DP4 for a few days and realizing it was a big step forward, I made the plunge on my daily machine and put PB1 on it. I made an image copy of the drive on to an external file system in case I regret it, but this is at least as stable as Windows would be for a new GA. :D

Isn't DP4 the same as PB1?

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I did! I don't have to work for few weeks and I will be using my computer for browsing/email only. So I thought of installing Yosemite and see how it goes. Although I have TM backups of my Mavericks installation.

Once I installed the 1st beta (developer beta) and it was horrible and not stable at all. Public beta seems to be much stable. I found few bugs that aren't preventing me from using my computer for my daily tasks.

I have installed Java and Flash and I got intellij idea also working on it.

PEN10k

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Denmark
IMO you can install DP4 with no worries.
I don't think it feels like a beta anymore.
Small few glitches here and there, nothing major, for me at least. :)

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I've created a second partition on my SSD for Yosemite which I use for web surfing. When I have work I'll switch back to Mavericks.

I've found Yosemite to be incredibly stable. Much better than Lion ever was.

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey
took the plunge with my primary computer (I really only use word/excel, safari, iTunes, mail on a daily basis). Have been really happy except for the fact that is appears that my computer has replaced "sleep" with "coma" - seems like once the computer goes to sleep (not the display) that it refuses to wake up and I have to manually turn off and on. If/when this bug gets fixed I will be much happier :)

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Installed on main Mac Pro.

Didn't even think about it really, been running Yosemite on my MBA since it came out and the last beta seemed stable enough I decided to roll it out. Installed day 1, and have not had 1 crash. I use all the standard Mac Apps, plus Amazon Workspaces, RDC, Firefox, MS Office, Roboform/1Password, Applescript and so far everything has been running great and have not had 1 crash.

Seems to be a lot smoother than mavericks imo.

One issue and curious if anyone else has seen this. I have external speakers which work great 99% of the time but whenever I send an e-mail the sound comes from the Apple Monitor speakers and not my external speakers. All the other sounds/music/etc play from external speakers but sending an email comes from Monitor...so weird. Yes I submitted this bug to apple via the feedback app.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I have it on its own partition. It's okay, but still experience Mail crashes and the WiFi restarts all the time, so it's a tad annoying. For those 2 reasons I haven't done a lot with it.

Hopefully DP5, or the next PB will be better.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I was bored with OS X Mavericks and it was raining the entire day yesterday anyway, so I thought to myself "what the hell, it can't be any worse than the iOS 7 betas" and took the plunge.

I installed most Developer Previews of previous versions, but this is the first time I'm running an OS X beta as my main system.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I have it on its own partition. It's okay, but still experience Mail crashes and the WiFi restarts all the time, so it's a tad annoying. For those 2 reasons I haven't done a lot with it.

Hopefully DP5, or the next PB will be better.

I had that issue, so i decided not to use the mailing in Yosemite. I can get by without Mail for now on Yosemite. My phone gets all my email anyway. :)

I think the wifi issue for me was caused by an incorrect setting in my router, and ever since changing that setting the wifi has been working constantly in Yosemite. :) Ha, who knew. :)

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I had that issue, so i decided not to use the mailing in Yosemite. I can get by without Mail for now on Yosemite. My phone gets all my email anyway. :)

I think the wifi issue for me was caused by an incorrect setting in my router, and ever since changing that setting the wifi has been working constantly in Yosemite. :) Ha, who knew. :)

Ya, its not often that it crashes, its just at inopportune times :confused:

Its weird with the wifi. Some days its fine, others not. I haven't tracked it down yet, but I'll parse through the system logs and see if I can get hint of what's up.

Lexical

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
I installed it as my daily driver. Its been pretty flawless to be honest... Just had a few issues with iCloud and iCloud Drive where i can't seem to access my files on iCloud even though i never upgraded to iCloud drive (It didn't even ask me what i wanted to do when i installed it...). But working around that by manually backing things up to iCloud through safari, not a big issue.

Also had a few issues streaming from Netflix although this seems to be resolved if you press back and try again. Not sure why it does that but HTML5 seems to be working ok.

Last edited:

paba

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Ireland
Great Upgrade

Installed Yosemite today on my 2011 MacBook Air - my only computer. Must say it was the most straightforward "upgrade" I've ever undertaken either on an Apple or PC system. So far I've had absolutely no failures. I had some concerns about Windows 7 and Office 2010 on my Parallels virtual machine, but that also functioned perfectly. And Yosemite operates brilliantly - speed is up and it looks great too.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I have it on my regular Mac... So far no problems, other than Trillian crashing (which could just be normal) and a couple of apps not working (Viber, Adium). Safari is awesome and I love the new look overall :)

Should add that I have Time Machine backup and my Mac is new (got it in January) so I'm not too worried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.