Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stix666

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2005
I'm using it as my main drive. Reason - I can't boot back into mavericks on my mavericks partition (on my Mac Pro). I had downloaded while booted into that partition, and every time I try to boot from it, the Yosemite installer starts up. Booting with the shift key held down results in a grey screen.

However, it works well with my regular programs (apart from Mail which was a dog with Mavericks as well); and some programs run much much faster. So I'm happy to stick with it :)

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
It's really good. It's a Samsung 830 SSD connected to a USB 3 port. I hardly notice a difference between this and the internal 840 EVO. Though I know there is a big difference when running Blackmagic on them. But, for all practical purposes, it runs great this way.

I looked it up. Looks like a standalone SSD. So did you build it yourself then? Just bought an SSD enclosure? I'll private message you if that's ok. We can chat then.

phphreak

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2009
I moved everything to my Drobo and also did a clone of the hard drive on another disk.

I now use Yosemite Beta 4 as my main OS on a 27 inch 2009 iMac. It is very snappy and runs great.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I looked it up. Looks like a standalone SSD. So did you build it yourself then? Just bought an SSD enclosure? I'll private message you if that's ok. We can chat then.

Yeah, I had the 830 in my MBP as the internal drive. Then a couple of months ago I bought an 840 EVO to replace it as the internal drive. I also bought a USB 3 enclosure and put the 830 inside of that.

So my internal 840 EVO has my Mavericks and Windows 8 (Boot Camp) installations, while the external 830 has Yosemite.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wonder if the difference in build number is so they can distinguish between the DP and PB for when people send in reports.

Possibly, Apple did send out an email telling the developers to stay on the developer build and not install the public beta. I think developers will be seeing more frequent builds

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Possibly, Apple did send out an email telling the developers to stay on the developer build and not install the public beta. I think developers will be seeing more frequent builds

And with that, it makes more sense, to me, that is the reason for the different build numbers.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I installed to my daily drive overnight - started the install and went to bed. It was waiting for me this morning. Of course, that was after making sure my time machine backup was up to date, and cloning the drive with CCC first. Haven't played with it much, but I do like the appearance.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Yes, it's running on my only Mac and I use it daily. And I love it.

Only major bug I've countered so far is that Safari made my whole system crash from time to time. :D Now I use Chrome and I have no problems at all. I hope they fix issues with Safari as soon as possible.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Yes, it's running on my only Mac and I use it daily. And I love it.

Only major bug I've countered so far is that Safari made my whole system crash from time to time. :D Now I use Chrome and I have no problems at all. I hope they fix issues with Safari as soon as possible.

The Safari issue you mention is not common. Have you got any extensions installed that are causing this?

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
I had this same problem I installed to a USB drive and some how my main drive kept telling me to INSTALL Yosemite on boot up. So I had to INSTALL it on my main drive to use my computer and just left it like that for now.

I'm using it as my main drive. Reason - I can't boot back into mavericks on my mavericks partition (on my Mac Pro). I had downloaded while booted into that partition, and every time I try to boot from it, the Yosemite installer starts up. Booting with the shift key held down results in a grey screen.

However, it works well with my regular programs (apart from Mail which was a dog with Mavericks as well); and some programs run much much faster. So I'm happy to stick with it :)

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I finally installed it after downloading it that first day. Since I didn't want the hassle of using an external drive, I installed it on my main drive. I have a Time Capsule backup, so I'm not too worried.

My opinion? Anti-climactic. I realize that it wasn't going to be life changing, but I honestly see very little difference (is only been a few hours though).

I already had the Yosemite background, so not much visual change.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I finally installed it after downloading it that first day. Since I didn't want the hassle of using an external drive, I installed it on my main drive. I have a Time Capsule backup, so I'm not too worried.

My opinion? Anti-climactic. I realize that it wasn't going to be life changing, but I honestly see very little difference (is only been a few hours though).

I already had the Yosemite background, so not much visual change.

The UI is quite different and is very noticeable upon first use, but fundamentally it's still OS X. The more you use it the more you like it, and then you start to forget that its changed at all.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I've installed it in my macbook only, but It's stable enough for daily use. I'm consider in installing it in my iMac too.

If you don't mind about graphical glitches you can go ahead.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
The Safari issue you mention is not common. Have you got any extensions installed that are causing this?

Thanks for advice. I think it was Microsoft Silverlight causing this issue. For some reson I had set it to launch automatically on certain sites where it was recommended and it crashed the Safari and the whole system. Disabled it and no crashes so far.

blakek

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2013
been using it since beta 1 on my main machine

no issues

still have 10.9 on my work computer if something fails, and everything is backed up before i did 10.10 so figured why not

METOO999

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
I've been using it on my Macbook Pro mid-2012 (non-retina) since Sunday and I haven't had any major issues. I backed up my personal files beforehand, of course.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
Installed it and then went back to Mavericks

I installed Yosemite on my daily driver against Apple recommendation and it did work well for the most part. I reverted back due to the fact that Editing photos in iPhoto simply does not work. You cannot see the photo wen you are in Edit mode except when I tried Cropping the photo.

Needless to say, I wiped my machine and reinstalled Mavericks then tried to load my last Time Machine backup. However, Yosemite backups had been made since my last Mavericks backup. Luckily I was able to delete Yosemite backups booting into an external drive then moved my files back over to my iMac.

Lesson learned... This is NOT meant to be viewed as an early release of the software, but exactly what Apple says it is - Beta meant for testing.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I've installed it in my macbook only, but It's stable enough for daily use. I'm consider in installing it in my iMac too.

If you don't mind about graphical glitches you can go ahead.

This. I have been on since day one and I do experience some flickering (very minor but noticeable) and Safari has several bugs now in DP4. I still use it on my daily driver (2009 Macbook Pro, DYI Fusion Drive, 8GB Ram) and it has been great.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I had some issues with some apps like Hazel and Parallels. Microsoft Remote Desktop also had some hiccups when I was using it. I reverted back to Mavericks for the time being. Until all my apps have changelogs saying Yosemite, I may not upgrade till then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.