Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I applied the firmware update to my Nehalem 2009 and it shows 5,1 now.
Does this mean that I can put the Hex intel 3680 in it? Is the heatsink of my Quad 2,66 the same as the one from the Quad 2,80 (2010)?
:confused:

In the past, I did several processor upgrades with a G3. Once it went wrong, with a Powerlogix that I fried, all others were succesful. But the one mistake gives me the shivers and I won't forget it.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Quad Single Processor > Hex Single Processor.
no worries about "lidless" > "lidded" and head spreaders or not? :confused:

Last edited:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
The processors are exactly the same size. A direct replacement. I (and many others) have done this with no problems whatsoever.

Chumnick

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Do I understand that the processor w3680, can not be used in a dual processor board?
Thanks.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
That is CORRECT.. Only the X series can be used in dual-qpi boards, and while an X based processor will work in the single processor board, you CANNOT use a W series in a dual based processor board.

Do I understand that the processor w3680, can not be used in a dual processor board?
Thanks.

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2013
w3600 vs x5600

That is CORRECT.. Only the X series can be used in dual-qpi boards, and while an X based processor will work in the single processor board, you CANNOT use a W series in a dual based processor board.

Does that mean that if w3600 processors are discontinued, x5600 processors can be used to upgrade old quad core macs?

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Yes, but the X series are a tad bit more expensive as they are mainly used for dual QPI based system boards, namely the Mac Pro. While Intel might discontinue the W series, they will always be found on ebay. I got mine there and it works great.

Does that mean that if w3600 processors are discontinued, x5600 processors can be used to upgrade old quad core macs?

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2013
Yes, but the X series are a tad bit more expensive as they are mainly used for dual QPI based system boards, namely the Mac Pro. While Intel might discontinue the W series, they will always be found on ebay. I got mine there and it works great.

Thanks, PowerPCMacMan, I was a little worried since i have a 2012 quad core mac and planned on upgrading it to a hex core. So now i know that w3680/90 will be available and if not, i can resort to x5600 series.

Chumnick

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Before the upgrade, I would like to replace the fan in the Processor Heatsink. Have you tried to do it? Or need to change the entire Processor Heatsink (076-1338)?
Thanks.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010

Yikes I almost didn't see this clarification and was going to buy 2 W3680s. So can someone advise what I need to purchase to upgrade my 2009 MP dual processor (8 core/16thread)?

I am looking for a simple installation and top speed. Price is not a huge concern.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Yikes I almost didn't see this clarification and was going to buy 2 W3680s. So can someone advise what I need to purchase to upgrade my 2009 MP dual processor (8 core/16thread)?

I am looking for a simple installation and top speed. Price is not a huge concern.

you have a more complicated upgrade. you have lidless cpus the upgrade is harder to do.you need nylon washers to keep the heat sink from crushing the pins in the cpu socket. look around for 2009 dual cpu upgrade on the site. also the cpus are more costly.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Add that plus the cost of the heatsinks from the dual 2010 Mac Pro.. I did read somewhere that there are differences in the heatsinks between the 09 and 10, Philipma1957, can you confirm this?

I think the OP should consider trying to find a 2010 Processor Board and applying the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware to the backplane of his 2009 if he hasn't already done so..

The dual upgrade path is so tedious and expensive.. Single-Quad to hexcore is more cost effective and the heatsink of the 09 is the same as the 10.

Of course in Dec 2011 I bought my 2010 boards for a total of 300.00(46 for the single processor board, 250 for the backplane). I gutted out my 09's boards and replaced with 2010's. I am not so sure how I got a good deal on those boards at the time.

you have a more complicated upgrade. you have lidless cpus the upgrade is harder to do.you need nylon washers to keep the heat sink from crushing the pins in the cpu socket. look around for 2009 dual cpu upgrade on the site. also the cpus are more costly.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Add that plus the cost of the heatsinks from the dual 2010 Mac Pro.. I did read somewhere that there are differences in the heatsinks between the 09 and 10, Philipma1957, can you confirm this?

I think the OP should consider trying to find a 2010 Processor Board and applying the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware to the backplane of his 2009 if he hasn't already done so..

The dual upgrade path is so tedious and expensive.. Single-Quad to hexcore is more cost effective and the heatsink of the 09 is the same as the 10.

Of course in Dec 2011 I bought my 2010 boards for a total of 300.00(46 for the single processor board, 250 for the backplane). I gutted out my 09's boards and replaced with 2010's. I am not so sure how I got a good deal on those boards at the time.

been a while but anandtech has a long post on his website on how he killed a 2009 dual cpu.

the whole article

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800/upgrading-and-analyzing-apple-s-nehalem-mac-pro

the page on what he did wrong

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800/upgrading-and-analyzing-apple-s-nehalem-mac-pro/11

macrumors has a thread on the washers needed to prevent crushing the cpu .

I do not recall if the washers need to be 1 or 2 or 1.8 mm in height that makes up for the missing lids.

please research research research if you do a dual 2009 mac pro.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Yeah, I saw and read that article many times. It really does not apply to me though as I gutted my 2009 and the boards and got for 300.00 both the 2010 processor board(cost: 46.00) and the backplane board(around 250.00) - this was done at a time when suppliers did not really know how to price the boards, so it was a steal.

Installed a hex core w3680 last year and its been purring right along.. Mountain Lion flies on this thing.

But yeah, to those with Duals 2009 boards, I am thinking 1.8 mm in height, or maybe it was 1 mm. I am not certain, but if it were me I wouldn't use "LIDLESS" processors.

been a while but anandtech has a long post on his website on how he killed a 2009 dual cpu.

the whole article

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800/upgrading-and-analyzing-apple-s-nehalem-mac-pro

the page on what he did wrong

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800/upgrading-and-analyzing-apple-s-nehalem-mac-pro/11

macrumors has a thread on the washers needed to prevent crushing the cpu .

I do not recall if the washers need to be 1 or 2 or 1.8 mm in height that makes up for the missing lids.

please research research research if you do a dual 2009 mac pro.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I am still confused about the W3680 Intel Westmere 3,33 6 cores upgrade for my Mac Pro 2009 Quad-Core Nehalem which I have flashed to a 5,1.
I read that some users at the Apple Forums report much higher temperatures of the upgraded processor. (70°C = 158°F) Can someone confirm or deny this?
Perhaps it's because they applied to less thermal paste, or to many, or another reason
TIA

Last edited:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I am still confused about the W3680 Intel Westmere 3,33 6 cores upgrade for my Mac Pro 2009 Quad-Core Nehalem which I have flashed to a 5,1.
I read that some users at the Apple Forums report much higher temperatures of the upgraded processor. Can someone confirm or deny this?

I've seen no abnormal temperatures related to my upgrade.

Perhaps it's because they applied to less thermal paste, or to many, or another reason
TIA

Poorly applied thermal paste is the most likely explanation.

vbt101

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
I didn't want to double post, but by recommendation if another member I just wanted to see if anyone following this thread has experience/ideas around diagnosing an issue that I'm having:

Upgraded my 2009 2.66 quad to a w3690. The firmware upgrade went smoothly. But, I can't boot. Tried a bunch of random things, but in the current state, it hangs at the apple logo screen...forever. In verbose mode, it hangs consistently after it loads the kernel cache (the final printed line being "root device uuid is '.....' ". I can't get into single user mode for the same reason.

Thread is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17072227

Any thoughts? Would like to determine for sure that it is not software/firmware (the behavior did change when I changed OSes; with snow leopard, it would kernel panic on boot screen. With mountain lion, it simply hangs on boot screen)

EDIT 4/5/2013: PROBLEM SOLVED! It was just a faulty processor. Got a replacement and put that one in...no issues. I think the fact that I could not get a Win7 install to fully boot without getting a BSOD with the same machine check error codes I was getting on the mac side was a dead giveaway that it was the hardware.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.