Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
you have a more complicated upgrade. you have lidless cpus the upgrade is harder to do.you need nylon washers to keep the heat sink from crushing the pins in the cpu socket. look around for 2009 dual cpu upgrade on the site. also the cpus are more costly.

Thanks for the info, Philip. Based on what you've said...I think I'm just going to save my money for a new machine. My existing 2009 MPro will go into service as a network render slave.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I didn't want to double post, but by recommendation if another member I just wanted to see if anyone following this thread has experience/ideas around diagnosing an issue that I'm having:

Upgraded my 2009 2.66 quad to a w3690. The firmware upgrade went smoothly. But, I can't boot. Tried a bunch of random things, but in the current state, it hangs at the apple logo screen...forever. In verbose mode, it hangs consistently after it loads the kernel cache (the final printed line being "root device uuid is '.....' ". I can't get into single user mode for the same reason.

Thread is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17072227

Any thoughts? Would like to determine for sure that it is not software/firmware (the behavior did change when I changed OSes; with snow leopard, it would kernel panic on boot screen. With mountain lion, it simply hangs on boot screen)

When I read this, I am still not convinced that this upgrade is not risky. Perhaps it's because you applied to less or to much thermal paste, or the pins on the processor board became damaged??
Is there anyone who can help?

vbt101

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
When I read this, I am still not convinced that this upgrade is not risky. Perhaps it's because you applied to less or to much thermal paste, or the pins on the processor board became damaged??
Is there anyone who can help?

For what it's worth, everything is reversible. I've switched between the stock processor and the w3690 a bunch of times now, so I can get my computer up and running, just not with the w3690. I'm pretty confident about my thermal paste application as I get reasonable temperature results whenever I install the stock cpu and the application is exactly the same. I think with the stock processor working, it confirms the pins are good (if you're careful about placing the chip in the socket and make sure it's seated fully, I don't think bending the pins is very likely in the single cpu setup)

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Last edited:

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

You don't want the ball point it won't seat properly, I ended up using a Torx T15 screw driver 4" long shaft 1/8" diameter it worked well.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
A ball-end key worked just fine for me. As long as you're using the correct size key made of good quality tool steel, you'll have no problems.

vbt101

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
A ball-end key worked just fine for me. As long as you're using the correct size key made of good quality tool steel, you'll have no problems.

+1. I used my Husky set from Home Depot, which worked just fine, time & time again (literally uninstalled and reinstalled 6 different times now) and no issue.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
There is a big difference in price:
Are these processors all the same?
How can there be such a big difference in price?

They are the same and retailers will take whatever they can get from you for the price. Better off on Ebay for this type of thing I got mine on there used for $500 US and buddy helpfully marked it as value $20 for customs putting it under the limit I pay taxes on. Hell only paid $5 for shipping from China and got it in less than a week.

Edit: If your not comfortable with a used processor then these boys ship internationally and since the last time I looked it is down ~$10 dollars from what they were charging to $590 US.

https://www.provantage.com/intel-bx80613w3680~7ITEP374.htm

Last edited:

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
They are the same and retailers will take whatever they can get from you for the price. Better off on Ebay for this type of thing I got mine on there used for $500 US and buddy helpfully marked it as value $20 for customs putting it under the limit I pay taxes on. Hell only paid $5 for shipping from China and got it in less than a week.

Edit: If your not comfortable with a used processor then these boys ship internationally and since the last time I looked it is down ~$10 dollars from what they were charging to $590 US.

https://www.provantage.com/intel-bx80613w3680~7ITEP374.htm
Thanks for the info.
I don't want a used processor. I need an official invoice.
With shipping costs and taxes to Belgium, Amazon.de is cheaper. :)

Last edited:

vbt101

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
I didn't want to double post, but by recommendation if another member I just wanted to see if anyone following this thread has experience/ideas around diagnosing an issue that I'm having:

Upgraded my 2009 2.66 quad to a w3690. The firmware upgrade went smoothly. But, I can't boot. Tried a bunch of random things, but in the current state, it hangs at the apple logo screen...forever. In verbose mode, it hangs consistently after it loads the kernel cache (the final printed line being "root device uuid is '.....' ". I can't get into single user mode for the same reason.

Thread is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17072227

Any thoughts? Would like to determine for sure that it is not software/firmware (the behavior did change when I changed OSes; with snow leopard, it would kernel panic on boot screen. With mountain lion, it simply hangs on boot screen)

just seeing if anyone had any final thoughts here. i don't know what else to try, and will probably end up returning the processor tomorrow if i cant make any progress before then.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
My final thought: Defective processor..

You tried to put the 2.66 back in and the machine boot up - This is a good sign as the computer's hardware is working perfectly.. and we can rule out any bent pins as such on the processor board..

My only guess is if you don't see any bent pins on the w3690.. and you applied the right amount of thermal paste, then the processor seems likely defective.. I would return it and ask for another "known working" processor.

At anytime when you tried to boot up in VERBOSE mode(opt+v), did you take a screen shot of the kernel panic?

just seeing if anyone had any final thoughts here. i don't know what else to try, and will probably end up returning the processor tomorrow if i cant make any progress before then.

vbt101

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
My final thought: Defective processor..

You tried to put the 2.66 back in and the machine boot up - This is a good sign as the computer's hardware is working perfectly.. and we can rule out any bent pins as such on the processor board..

My only guess is if you don't see any bent pins on the w3690.. and you applied the right amount of thermal paste, then the processor seems likely defective.. I would return it and ask for another "known working" processor.

At anytime when you tried to boot up in VERBOSE mode(opt+v), did you take a screen shot of the kernel panic?

Are there pins on the processor? It looked like just pads for contacts, and then surface mount components for diodes, resistors, etc in the very middle where it does not touch the socket.

1. Kernel panic: http://pastebin.com/2REtkxnD
  2. Hardware Overview from System Profile (after re-installing old processor): http://pastebin.com/z8P8dWZL
  3. kextstat output after OS update from 10.7 to 10.7.5: http://pastebin.com/itVq9ZLp

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
There is one more step you can do.. if the w3690 will allow u to use it.. Try to run Apple Hardware Test or Apple Service Diagnostic and that right there will tell you if its indeed a defective processor.. The kernel panic suggests intel cpu power management kext and USB...

HOLD THE PRESSES.... Did you try to see if LION might be the culprit? If so, try using Snow Leopard and report back to me the results... I just wanna see if indeed it might be Lion.. Lion is very finicky sometimes at the hardware level.. another reason why Snow Leopard is more reliable..

If the w3690 works under Snow Leopard.. then its not defective and Lion is the culprit.. Just for giggles, try it and let me know what your results are.

If you can't get the w3690 to boot up to apple hardware test.. then it could be a faulty processor. Do you hear 5 beeps - this means the processor is NOT USABLE.

Are there pins on the processor? It looked like just pads for contacts, and then surface mount components for diodes, resistors, etc in the very middle where it does not touch the socket.

1. Kernel panic: http://pastebin.com/2REtkxnD
  2. Hardware Overview from System Profile (after re-installing old processor): http://pastebin.com/z8P8dWZL
  3. kextstat output after OS update from 10.7 to 10.7.5: http://pastebin.com/itVq9ZLp

Last edited:

vbt101

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
There is one more step you can do.. if the w3690 will allow u to use it.. Try to run Apple Hardware Test or Apple Service Diagnostic and that right there will tell you if its indeed a defective processor.. The kernel panic suggests intel cpu power management kext and USB...

If you can't get the w3690 to boot up to apple hardware test.. then it could be a faulty processor. Do you hear 5 beeps - this means the processor is NOT USABLE.

1. should AHT be baked into Lion/ML, or do I need the original install or specific AHT DVD?

2. Regarding the 5 beeps: I assume you mean during AHT? I don't get the 5 beeps when trying to boot OSX.

3. I was concerned about the kexts being an issue, so I actually put a Win7 install DVD in yesterday. During the initialization of the install DVD (when it unpacks everything before the installer actually runs), I got BSOD with some Machine Check error codes (similar to the Machine Check kernel panic from OSX). This leads me to believe that the kexts arent the issue. More likely CPU, firmware, or an actual issue with the power supply (an issue that would let the stock processor run, but would fail under the w3690?)

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
If you installed Windows and the same thing is happening, then the processor is defective. When you bought the processor did it say "for parts or repair" or anything such as a note of explanation about it? That would have told you something was wrong with it. I guess... Caveat Emptor.

1. should AHT be baked into Lion/ML, or do I need the original install or specific AHT DVD?

2. Regarding the 5 beeps: I assume you mean during AHT? I don't get the 5 beeps when trying to boot OSX.

3. I was concerned about the kexts being an issue, so I actually put a Win7 install DVD in yesterday. During the initialization of the install DVD (when it unpacks everything before the installer actually runs), I got BSOD with some Machine Check error codes (similar to the Machine Check kernel panic from OSX). This leads me to believe that the kexts arent the issue. More likely CPU, firmware, or an actual issue with the power supply (an issue that would let the stock processor run, but would fail under the w3690?)

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Just before the upgrade, I checked if I can reset the PRAM.
It's not possible anymore. (after the 4,1>5,1 upgrade)
Key combination command + alt + p +r results in booting from a 10.8 repair partition. What can I do?
Resetting the firmware?
TIA

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Key combination command + alt + 9 +r results in booting from a 10.8 repair partition. What can I do?
Resetting the firmware?
TIA

I believe the PRAM reset key combination is: command + alt + p + r

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Key combination command + alt + p +r results in booting from a 10.8 repair partition. What can I do?
Resetting the firmware?
TIA

I've had this problem before usually after doing something drastic to the computer, usually the fix has always been to go back into system preferences and re-designate the start up drive, after the reboot then zap the pRAM

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Unfortunately, it didn't help, but I have found the solution.
On my keyboard, the alt (option)-key was defective.
I used a new keyboard and the problem was solved.
:)

Last edited:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Unfortunately, it didn't help, but I have found the solution.
On my keyboard, the alt (option)-key was defective.
I used a new keyboard and the problem was solved.
:)

I read back to post 400 and don't see where you actually describe the issue you're having. You wanna reset PRAM but can't. OK, but why do you wanna reset PRAM? Chris mentions something about drives but I don't see where you talk about anything to do with drives.

What's your issue exactly? (what did you do to your machine and what undesirable behavior resulted?

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Firmware 4,1>5,1. If I install 1333 RAM and a Hex 3,33 in my Nehalem 2009, I must be able to reset the PRAM. ;)

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
How much thermal paste do I have to apply on the processor?
I bought 3.5 g. I plan to spread it as fine as possible with a glove. Is this correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.