Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I use keyboard covers too, they look great on white apple keyboards, the pink ones, I use red on my Air, they fit perfectly. They don't inhibit my fast touch-typing at all and are easy to clean. I read somewhere that computer keyboards are often dirtier or more contaminated than toilet seats as toilets are usually cleaned more often!

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
Has anyone here self-published fiction, or is anyone planning to do so?

i have done this. a bit for myself, and started a magazine as well. if you are referring to using ebooks, i cannot recommend smashwords enough. it is pretty easy to format, and they distribute to everyone except amazon. I found if it is formatted for Smashwords, then it is ready for Amazon as well.

for that, I use pages. Smashwords takes DOC files, Amazon, HTML.

that being said, there are lots of markets out there these days, lots of new quarterlies and such popping up all the time. check out duotrope, or if you are of the SF/F/H type, ralan.com as good starter places.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
i have done this. a bit for myself, and started a magazine as well. if you are referring to using ebooks, i cannot recommend smashwords enough. it is pretty easy to format, and they distribute to everyone except amazon. I found if it is formatted for Smashwords, then it is ready for Amazon as well.

for that, I use pages. Smashwords takes DOC files, Amazon, HTML.

that being said, there are lots of markets out there these days, lots of new quarterlies and such popping up all the time. check out duotrope, or if you are of the SF/F/H type, ralan.com as good starter places.

Thanks for this, will check out your recommendations. I've noticed that quite a lot of people who have published in the traditional way are now also self-publishing.

Writergirl7

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Back on screens again

Hi again. I still haven't bought an external monitor for my MacBook but I've been doing my research. Has anyone used the Dell u2413? It's on special at the moment. Its supposed to have less of an antiglare coating than the older models. I've also considered the Asus PA248Q, the Dell u2412, the Eizo Forris FS 2333 and at the slightly cheaper end the Dell2312HM. I've also considered various 27" monitors. I'm still thinking the 23/24" was probably best for me - that size feels better for writing somehow. However I am open to suggestions :)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I just stumbled across Fade In screenwriting software

I'm getting antsy not having a portable device to create on so I decided to investigate screenwriting apps for the iPad to see if things have changed since last year.

I'm sure folks in this thread have already heard about Fade In, but I just test drove the FI demo on my iMac and fell in love. I banged out two pages in about 5 minutes without having to key in script formatting.

Fade In is like many writing apps that fill up the screen, narrowing your focus on writing. I love how easy it is (even easier than Movie Magic Screenwriter). I will plunk the $50 down to buy the software once I determine if and when I get a portable Apple something...

Since Storyist, Final Draft and Scrivener are above my learning curve/patience, Fade In is just right for me. I've looked at Slugline but am very glad I tried Fade In.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm getting antsy not having a portable device to create on so I decided to investigate screenwriting apps for the iPad to see if things have changed since last year.

I'm sure folks in this thread have already heard about Fade In, but I just test drove the FI demo on my iMac and fell in love. I banged out two pages in about 5 minutes without having to key in script formatting.

Fade In is like many writing apps that fill up the screen, narrowing your focus on writing. I love how easy it is (even easier than Movie Magic Screenwriter). I will plunk the $50 down to buy the software once I determine if and when I get a portable Apple something...

Since Storyist, Final Draft and Scrivener are above my learning curve/patience, Fade In is just right for me. I've looked at Slugline but am very glad I tried Fade In.

I am curious how programs like Final Draft are above your learning curve/patience? They all work the same way Fade in does.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
bit too much

I am curious how programs like Final Draft are above your learning curve/patience? They all work the same way Fade in does.

Movie Magic and Fade In are a lot easier and more intuitative for me. I just type and go. Perhaps it's the interface, it's just not a good match for me. I hope I won't have to use it for eventual Screenwriting classes, but we'll see.

That said, Scrivener takes the cake for learning curve.

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
writing software...

FWIW, I have written screenplays and television scripts since before we had Correcting Selectrics. For years I (happily) used a text markup program for typesetting that had been modified for laser printers and customized to screenplay margins as per my specifications. I have built my own kerning tables. I also have done a lot of work by hand, using legal pads and fountain pens. I am very familiar with Movie Magic and Final Draft. I hear good things about Slugline and Fade In.

In my experience, you use what works for you. There is always a learning curve, but once that is accomplished, the program should be invisible. Use what you like. One isn't "better" than the other. I am working on two projects right now: in one, the producer is using Final Draft, so I am, too, and in the other we're using Movie Magic. Each has its own idiosyncrasies. They both work swell.

You want to avoid getting started on something? Learn a new software package. Short of that, I think you'll be more than well served by any of the programs mentioned here.

Just one man's .02

Adam Rodman

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Hi again. I still haven't bought an external monitor for my MacBook but I've been doing my research. Has anyone used the Dell u2413? It's on special at the moment. Its supposed to have less of an antiglare coating than the older models. I've also considered the Asus PA248Q, the Dell u2412, the Eizo Forris FS 2333 and at the slightly cheaper end the Dell2312HM. I've also considered various 27" monitors. I'm still thinking the 23/24" was probably best for me - that size feels better for writing somehow. However I am open to suggestions :)

Did you buy a screen, or still looking?

I'm still waiting ... So far, apart from the retina laptops, I still prefer my 2007 iMac screen to anything else I've tried ... The Dell u2412 is okay for the MacBook Air and as dual screen for iMac but it's just not sharp enough for text to be my main screen.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

I'm still waiting ... So far, apart from the retina laptops, I still prefer my 2007 iMac screen to anything else I've tried ... The Dell u2412 is okay for the MacBook Air and as dual screen for iMac but it's just not sharp enough for text to be my main screen.

The lack of a real computer the past few months has been driving me insane. 13-inch rMBP is mine the day it comes out, hopefully at the iPhone event in a few weeks.

I briefly thought about an Air in the early goings, but no way could I live with that screen.

I can't wait to really start writing again.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I have thought about getting an external monitor, but I imagine I wouldn't be satisfied with one that doesn't have an awesome display like the rMBP. Even that 4K ASUS monitor is 3.5 grand. I wonder what Apple will do with updating the Thunderbolt Display.

I'll just save my money and put that towards an iPad or things for my Mac. I'm perfectly fine with working on a 13-inch screen, especially as I'm on-the-go a lot. You can also use an iPhone/iPad as a monitor if needed.

Either way, I'm constantly looking at applications on the Mac App Store that I'd be interested in using. There is some really great software out there. I hope to actually be able to contribute to this thread soon, with my workflow and what I'm using.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I'm hoping they'll do a 24" Thunderbolt . But will be expensive and I will have to get over my dual screen fetish!

Writergirl7

macrumors member
May 25, 2013

I'm just setting up my u2413 now. Seems sharp enough - pretty nice really. The CD they sent with it seems only to contain software for Windows systems. Was that the same with the u2412? I nearly bought the u2412m but the 2413 was on special.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Just painted my office white and lime green.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 145

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Don't know why that second photo turned itself upside down.

Yes, I think the disk for the Dell screen was only for Windows. But all functions work and easy to use.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Looks nice! I see you like keyboard covers. Is that the Twelve South HoverBar on your iPad?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Yes, it is a hoverbar, and the Logitech k760 keyboard is solar and has 3 functions switches, so can switch quickly from iMac to iPad or when using the Air with the Dell screen, to that also. The keyboard covers are washable and I like the colours.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
The only problem with the hoverbar is, the ipad4 is a very tight fit and I've managed to snap the top off the other hoverbar, which is in my bedroom and the iPad 4, being used mostly for reading, is usually on that one, now secured with a rubberband! The ipad2, mostly used in my office on the hoverbar in the picture, is much easier to remove.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
FWIW I ended up buying Scrivener after reading the back and forth of this discussion. I use it in conjunction with Pages.

Scrivener's .epub and .mobi compiling/output features are a bit tricky, but ultimately very useful. I have a book I wrote for Amazon that I submitted from Scrivener's .mobi output that seems to work well on any Kindle e-reader.

I was already very far along in my current novel when I got Scrivener, so a lot of its features did not come into play. For the next novel I write I will begin in Scrivener and take advantage of its outlining and organization features.

Great product for the price.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
FWIW I ended up buying Scrivener after reading the back and forth of this discussion. I use it in conjunction with Pages.

Scrivener's .epub and .mobi compiling/output features are a bit tricky, but ultimately very useful. I have a book I wrote for Amazon that I submitted from Scrivener's .mobi output that seems to work well on any Kindle e-reader.

I was already very far along in my current novel when I got Scrivener, so a lot of its features did not come into play. For the next novel I write I will begin in Scrivener and take advantage of its outlining and organization features.

Great product for the price.

Thanks for the info, glad to hear it works with kindle readers, I haven't got that far yet. Congratulations on your prolific output!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Final Draft 9 is supposed to be coming out pretty soon, as in before the end of the year. Many big changes to the software including Retina Display support. I'm glad since I will be getting a new rMBP, and would not want to run it if it weren't Retina-optimized.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Thought I'd bump this thread up.

I ordered the Haswell rMBP that came out today. I am very much looking forward to having a Mac again. There are so many OS X-exclusive writing apps that I can't wait to use. In the past few months, I've actually been scouring the Mac App Store and such looking for the ones I would be interested in using. I'm definitely impressed with quite a few.

In addition, I got on the beta testing team for Final Draft 9 and have been using that. So from the moment I receive my rMBP, I will be able to use a Retina-optimized Final Draft app.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how my workflow changes.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Great news, your patience rewarded. I'm going to get rMbp, haven't decided which yet, might wait while you beta test the screen for me. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.