Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esmith08734

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I used to use a MBP but I accidentally spilled water on it and it is currently unusable. I think I can fix it when I get some free time.

Though having a computer is essential for me, so I purchased a 2013 4GB Macbook Air. Admittedly, I miss my MBP, but that's just because it's been my machine. I do like the Air's battery life and how quiet it is. It will be a bit of an adjustment, but I can't see my self being disappointed.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I love the Air, while I wish it had a retina screen, and it takes some adjustment after using the ipad4's lovely screen, I find if I bump up the text size the screen is okay and in every other way it is a great machine, for writing and many other things.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68010
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
My 4th novel is with my beta readers. The last two were written with Scrivener, one on the PC and one on an iMac. Like many others, I'm debating between the Air and rMacPro. It'll replace my iPad as my mobile writing platform.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
My 4th novel is with my beta readers. The last two were written with Scrivener, one on the PC and one on an iMac. Like many others, I'm debating between the Air and rMacPro. It'll replace my iPad as my mobile writing platform.

I use Scrivener on a 2010 Macbook Air. Writing is so much more of a pleasure with the light weight Air sitting on my lap than the heavier MBP that I also own.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I love the Air, while I wish it had a retina screen, and it takes some adjustment after using the ipad4's lovely screen, I find if I bump up the text size the screen is okay and in every other way it is a great machine, for writing and many other things.

Eh, I prefer the rMBP form factor and everything else that comes with it. I'd probably still go with the rMBP even if the Air had Retina.

I can't wait to receive.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I use Scrivener on a 2010 Macbook Air. Writing is so much more of a pleasure with the light weight Air sitting on my lap than the heavier MBP that I also own.

I always enjoyed the pro but ever since I got an air, I find it more enjoyable to write on here. It doesn't really make sense but that's how it feels.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Eh, I prefer the rMBP form factor and everything else that comes with it. I'd probably still go with the rMBP even if the Air had Retina.

I can't wait to receive.

Hope you get one without IR, seeing quite a few threads where this is still an issue and lag too, and apparently the 13" rMPBs all have LG screens. I'm going to wait a while ... Again!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Hope you get one without IR, seeing quite a few threads where this is still an issue and lag too, and apparently the 13" rMPBs all have LG screens. I'm going to wait a while ... Again!

I wouldn't be worried. The trackpad issues seem to be an issue with Mavericks. And this is the 2nd-gen rMBP, which I've been waiting on for a long time. Can't keep waiting forever.

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
screen image retention...

I am as anal about things as anyone on the planet. I have a little image retention, but ruth be told, it isn't really any kind of an issue. If it gets to be an issue, I'll get a new screen from Apple. I wouldn't let screen retention drive your decision one way or the other.

Adam

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Macbook Air & iPad 4.
90% of the time the iPad - without even an external keyboard. Pages and Dropbox.

For those who make their living with words, whether journalism, fiction, blogging, or in the course of a day job ... What mac gear do you use, and what are your favourite apps?

My own system ... In transition, still using my 2007 iMac at desk with Word, use ipad2 for a lot of writing, typed and handwritten, favorite apps so far are iA Writer, Noteshelf, Quickoffice, Penultimate, Pages. With apple BT keyboard and Wacom baboo stylus.

Air 13 inch would be ideal next buy for me in every way except for perhaps the screen. has anyone taken the leap to rMBP just for sharp text, even if the rest of the machine is overkill for yr purposes?

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51

When I got my 2010 MBA a lot of folks were whining about the lack of keyboard lights and said they were going to wait. When Apple finally put the lights back on the keyboards these same folks whined about the lack of Retina screen and declared they were going to wait. I would guess that many of them are still waiting for the "right" MBA.

The lack of lights on the keyboard hasn't bothered me one bit and neither has the lack of a Retina screen. I love this MBA - it's still plenty fast enough (yes, I run Photoshop and Lightroom without a problem), lightweight, has great battery life and is the perfect size. I can't imagine still doing my work on the heavy, bulky 15" MBP I used to use. One day I will upgrade and when I do, it will be for another MBA with or without keyboard lights or Retina screen.

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
When I got my 2010 MBA

Another vote for the MBA - it's perfect for writing! I got a Late 2010 MBA too. I wish it had more horsepower though. I switch to an Early 2011 MBP when I want to use Dragon Dictate, where processing speed matters. But typing on a MBP is far less comfortable than on the MBA.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I wouldn't be worried. The trackpad issues seem to be an issue with Mavericks. And this is the 2nd-gen rMBP, which I've been waiting on for a long time. Can't keep waiting forever.

Replied to your message, if you didn't get it let me know here.

so you've got your MBPr now? Bedazzled by a perfect screen I hope. Upgraded my ancient iMac to mavericks today, it did all the updates apart from iMovie ... Video card too old for that.

Haven't done MacBook Air yet, as I use trackpads, internal and external with that ... I believe that has been fixed now ... is yours okay?

jamesjanzen

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Writer here as well, though sadly amateur. Definitely going for the MBA, but partially because of price. If I could, I'd get the rMBP, but it is just too expensive for my needs.

Besides that, the form factor is another swaying factor towards the MBA. So light...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Whoops, forgot about this thread upon receiving my Mac. I was interested to see how my writing workflow would after using a rMBP, and it did change.

As a beta tester, Final Draft 9 is my main app since screenwriting is what I do. I've been experimenting with lots of Markdown writing apps on the iPad, but surprisingly I haven't really bothered to run those on the Mac yet.

But one app I love, and am doing 90% of my writing in, is Highland. Love it. I usually do all of my writing in that and then use Final Draft for the editing stuff.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I was reading this thread and reminiscing about writing my first book on an IBM Selectric II. We've come a long way!

In my office, I have an early-2011 MBP tethered to a Thunderbolt display. I've upgraded the HD to an SSD and the RAM to 16GB; I plan to use it through 2014 and then replace it with a rMBP after the teething problems subside.

I write almost exclusively in Pages. I don't own or use any Microsoft software ... I don't have the luxury of time to waste.

On the road, I use a 2012 11" MBA (i7, 8, 256) and I'm thinking seriously about upgrading to the 2013 version with 512GB. I'm still in love with the Air's form factor and extremely light weight ... especially compared to my MBP. I love the 15", but it's an arm-bender.

I also have an iPad Air, but it's purely a consumption device for me.

Carrying the Air across the City certainly beats lugging a portable typewriter! I've owned one of almost every Mac laptop iteration since the PowerBook 100, and I have to say this machine impresses me at every turn.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
IBM Selectric II! I taught summer school one year just to get $750 to buy one, and I used it to write an academic monograph.

Nowdays I write fiction and CNF (I'd probably get slapped for self-promotion if I mention my story collection that came out in July) and I use a Mac Pro 5,1 with a Dell U2711. Sometimes I use the 15" rMBP I just got. I've tried to work on an MBA 11", but it's just too small a screen for me.

I use Scrivener and Word and InDesign.

With Scrivener, I like to have two chapters (or a chapter and notes for it) in side-by-side windows. The 27" works well for this, and since I depend on that a lot, I don't expect to ever do a lot of writing on anything smaller. A 4K monitor might be just the thing -- the next few months should be interesting.

Writergirl7

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Update :)

Good to see this thread is still going :). I thought I'd post an update regarding the gear I ended up with (after all your good advice). My 13" rMBP is a wonderful balance between portability and versatility and my Dell u2413 is a lovely monitor - nice and sharp and wide gamut when I eventually do some more photo editing. I've got the best of both worlds - although I wouldn't have minded the 27" Dell. Enjoying Scrivener too... It's the best software I've come across for novel writing. Two thirds of the way through my current novel... All good so far :)

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I finally took the plunge to retinaville, sold my MacBook Air (sadly, because I loved everything but the screen) and ipad2, got MacBook Pro 13 retina 8/256, about a week ago. Screen seems perfect. Love it, and my ipad4, and mostly using them for writing, in various places. Still have iMac and dual screen with Dell u2412 at desk, and can plug the laptop into the Dell but mostly won't, I like that as dual screen with iMac, and I love writing on the laptop screen.

jamesjanzen

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Not to get off topic... but wow, there are a lot of writers here :eek: Never thought I'd find so many professionals on a mac forum.

The slant of my netbook (a bit like that of the macbook air) is nice for writing. The keyboard of the Air seems a bit better suited to writing in my opinion.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I finally took the plunge to retinaville, sold my MacBook Air (sadly, because I loved everything but the screen) and ipad2, got MacBook Pro 13 retina 8/256, about a week ago. Screen seems perfect. Love it, and my ipad4, and mostly using them for writing, in various places. Still have iMac and dual screen with Dell u2412 at desk, and can plug the laptop into the Dell but mostly won't, I like that as dual screen with iMac, and I love writing on the laptop screen.

No external monitor here, but the Retina screen really does help with writing.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
The makers of the lovely iaWriter have released a new product - Writer Pro.

Looks neat, but twenty bucks for each version (mac, iOS) means it'll be 40 to synch between your phone/pad and mac. No dropbox support yet but I find the iCloud synch in iawriter to be perfection itself.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
The makers of the lovely iaWriter have released a new product - Writer Pro.

Looks neat, but twenty bucks for each version (mac, iOS) means it'll be 40 to synch between your phone/pad and mac. No dropbox support yet but I find the iCloud synch in iawriter to be perfection itself.

Just had a look at that. Like you said, it looks nice but I'm not sure exactly what value it adds. The reviews I've read so far focus on how it "feels great" and "looks great", which, while important, aren't really convincing criteria by themselves.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Two things are enticing: the syntax highlighting feature may well improve our writing; it also has notes--> draft modes, much like Scrivener, but will synch between the iOS versions and the Mac versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.