Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple2E

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
CA
It´s on the front page, but here are the ports Mal refers to

macbook_ports.jpg
macbookpro_ports.jpg

Hmmm i wonder how the 17" shell would look. It looks like the MBP pics are from a 15". guess we'll wait till tomorrow!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
is the macbook pro mystery hole a Kensington lock?

No, its on the other side of the case, in front of the slot loading drive on the Pro. Both the MB and MBP appear to have a perfectly round hole towards the front of the ports side of the case.

Edit: Damnit Masklinn, this board moves too fast!

macbooker15

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Hello! I'm over here!
No, its on the other side of the case, in front of the slot loading drive on the Pro. Both the MB and MBP appear to have a perfectly round hole towards the front of the ports side of the case.

Edit: Damnit Masklinn, this board moves too fast!

No, on the pro it´s located next to the drive bay on the other side.

Edit: Damnit Masklinn and NewMacbookPlz, this board moves too fast!

Haha..you guys are funny.

Fredd-E

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
After reading through a lot of threads and consuming all of the users' thoughts, I was wondering if anyone thinks that what we might be seeing now is in fact legit stuff BUT are merely just rejected protoypes? Prototypes which we will not see in the actual models tomorrow.

Protoytpes that are being used to misled all of the rumorists... tricksy jobses...

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
After reading through a lot of threads and consuming all of the users' thoughts, I was wondering if anyone thinks that what we might be seeing now is in fact legit stuff BUT are merely just rejected protoypes? Prototypes which we will not see in the actual models tomorrow.

Protoytpes that are being used to misled all of the rumorists... tricksy jobses...

If they are rejected prototypes, then Apple does not bother removing the images. I think your theory makes sense.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
If these were really going to be ready to go tomorrow in stores, wouldn't pictures of something leak?

Not necessarily. First, they might not go on sale tomorrow. Second, we don't always see leaked pictures of the final product, though we have in the past (new iPod Nano).

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
theres no ethernet
macx.cn says the one next to magsafe is the mini-DVI

The labeling clearly represents the symbol Apple uses for an RJ-45 port. The same can be said for the label representing video out further down the port-line. Plus, that hole is WAY too large for mini-DVI.

My bet is on a proprietary, dual-link compatible output in a small form-factor next to the USB ports, at the end.

On top of that, the placement matches up with where the ports have been located since the G4 days, video out in the middle of the case, RJ-45 near the hinge.

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I haven't read this thread since yesterday, so there have been about 403409 more posts since then.

Has there been any discussion of why there is space on the sides of the speakers and the grilles aren't centered of the MBP?

1223891396_1.jpg

I know there have been criticisms of this, but no discussion.

Anyone? It looks odd. Hopefully the final case design has the grille all the way across, unless the width of the open space is the width of the bezel of the display, I'm not feeling it.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
If they are rejected prototypes, then Apple does not bother removing the images. I think your theory makes sense.

Well according to this even if they were real Apple would not bother removing the images.

"Recent product photo leaks including the 4th Generation iPod Nano and iPhone 3G have been left unchallenged by Apple's legal team, whereas, historically, Apple would have issued cease and desist letters to websites hosting such images."

theres no ethernet
macx.cn says the one next to magsafe is the mini-DVI

So they are saying there will be two video out ports? cause the port between audio in and the USB ports is obviously labeled as video out.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not sure if you're trying to insinuate something here, but I don't think released or let these pics slip through on purpose. Also, I strongly believe we are going to see something closely akin to these pics. So NO, if there is no FireWire / whatever on them yet, it won't be on the books to be released tomorrow. (Assuming this pics are legit, of course. But this seems quite plausible)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
they say that its
PCI-E, headphones, audio in (microphone), FW800, USB, USB, mini-DVI, magsafe

You clearly have the FW800 and Mini-DVI swapped...er, they do. That little port is NOT FW800, and the big one is NOT mini-DVI.

Go back, look at the symbols on the case. You'll see what we've been saying.

hazykit28

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
The labeling clearly represents the symbol Apple uses for an RJ-45 port. The same can be said for the label representing video out further down the port-line. Plus, that hole is WAY too large for mini-DVI.

My bet is on a proprietary, dual-link compatible output in a small form-factor next to the USB ports, at the end.

On top of that, the placement matches up with where the ports have been located since the G4 days, video out in the middle of the case, RJ-45 near the hinge.

thats wt the site says and im just telling u guys coz i can read chinese without online translators and i felt like clearing things up for those who are just guessing because they dont understand wt the site is talking about
none of wt my earlier post said is my own opinion

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
thats wt the site says and im just telling u guys coz i can read chinese without online translators and i felt like clearing things up for those who are just guessing because they dont understand wt the site is talking about

Well, thanks for trying to clearing it up for us. The Apple symbols are clearer than the Chinese characters to us ;)

They're a forum of guessers just like us, so either way...we'll find out tomorrow

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX

While I understand it's not your opinion (and understand I'm not arguing with you) but macx.cn was not the site that originally posted the photos, they were stolen from another site machome.com.cn

here is the original link, it is not working currently but it was last night
I can't translate it using google translator so I can't tell what it's saying now, maybe you can, but just know that macx.cn is just guessing and I'd bet they're guessing wrong

hazykit28

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
While I understand it's not your opinion (and understand I'm not arguing with you) but macx.cn was not the site that originally posted the photos, they were stolen from another site machome.com.cn

here is the original link, it is not working currently but it was last night
I can't translate it using google translator so I can't tell what it's saying now, maybe you can, but just know that macx.cn is just guessing and I'd bet they're guessing wrong

i hope they're wrong
coz i dont want that mysterious hole to be a dock thing for the imac

they say that only accounts with special privillages can see the post, probably avoiding apple

flyingkite

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007

oh well :)

anyway has anyone thought why Apple decided to move CD/DVD rom to the back of the machine on the right and all the ports to the left for both machine?

Remember this?

http://www.macblogz.com/2008/07/09/leaked-macbook-pro-case-rumors-continue-designs-confirmed/

I think the front of the machine is where the battery is..and therefore to have a slimmer profile and much easier access, they decided to make the battery longer. And possibly so they can slighlty tapered the front like the Macbook Air (but not as much). Remember the current 13" Macbook's CD/DVD drive is also at the back of the machine. And the battery is in front. the hard disk is on the right below wrist resting area. (see here http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Core-2-Duo/Hard-Drive/116/4/Page-2)

For the MBP they can do the same, using a longer battery size/length or maybe same size as MB to save cost? But because it has a longer width overall. Taking cue from the current Macbook design. You can pull your hard disk from the left (right when you turn the MBP over) after they re-orient the hard disk like the MB to a horizontal position. (see this http://static8.ifixit.com/igi/w2vG4rcfwCEGi5C6.large for the original MBP hard disk area)

Using the supposedly leak case, shift the IR port and connect a Esata cable point on the left of the case for MBP. There is seriously hardly any area more for any other kind of ports if you put a hard disk below there. (see current macbook's hard disk connector. http://static8.ifixit.com/igi/asrSSaYetVIZoq11.large)

Now you will have a very clean battery access area for both MB and MBP with a slight taper/curve downwards by shifting the hardisk 0.5-1 cm / 0.25" away from the bottom case.

Now you basically have a case where you can have identical battery packs/size under the different battery cover. Or If they choose to make the battery pack longer, they can. But they still save on the manufacturing cost of the battery packs by have the same uniform battery cells inside these battery packs across both MB/MBP.

It's is all hypothetical.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.