Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Just fine...

I took it offline yesterday and happily resumed using my much appreciated, pristine, iPhone 4S.

I'll wait for the next iPhone & hope Apple gets that one right. :)

After all, you can't win em all...

And Apple certainly goofed with iP5

Ive seen plenty of posts from you, putting the 5 to the skies - but whats up now? You're unhappy?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
It's now been a week since I got my white 5, been using it exactly like I did my 4, no case, straight into pockets and camera bag, lying it flat on desks and tables and not a scratch or mark has appeared.

Seems to be a lot of exaggeration about how easily the 5 marks/scratches/dents going around.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Great, thanks. Still naked, still pristine. Okay, it's only been two days, but still. :D

It does have a slight rattle on the sleep/wake button, but I have to hold it really close to my ear and shake it hard to hear it.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's now been a week since I got my white 5, been using it exactly like I did my 4, no case, straight into pockets and camera bag, lying it flat on desks and tables and not a scratch or mark has appeared.

Wow!

Do you mean an entire week?

Like seven 24 hr. days?

Really?

:D

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Have a white one for 4 days now. Carrying it the same why I did my 4 for 3 years - no case, in front pocket. So far, no issues at all. Starting to think I might just keep it this way. I really like the look with no case, and don't know if I want to increase the bulk. Love the size and feel of this thing as is!

sal74

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Been sick and tired looking for the "proper" case, so I decided to use this white iphone 5 naked. I am still waiting for a full body zagg which is probably the max I will do to protect this baby. Other than that...using this device naked is the best, just have to baby it...

Polleywood

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
No case for me, no scratches. I got the phone because it is slim and looks cool. What is the point with a case to make it thicker and less visualy pleasing. Even if it gets a scratch it looks better then a bulky case on it.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Never said it was scratched when I got it but thanks for your concern

No, you said it was perfect when you got. But you called and got "noted" so you could take it back if you get any scratches in the first 30 days. That's just plain fraud.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Hi All,

Would just like to clear up any myth that the black rubs off or flakes away with use.

And I'd like to clear up the myth that the myth has been cleared up that the black rubs off or flakes away with use. :p Had mine on launch day, have taken extremely good care of it, and I did, in fact, experience some wearing and a very tiny chip or two.

Do I care? Naaah. I finally got my case, and there it will stay for the next __ year(s) or so.

And no, I didn't hit it on anything; I'm the first guy to tell someone if I'm an idiot and cause my iPhone damage.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
The black ones I saw at the store yesterday had nicks on the area around the lightning adapter, just from normal use...looks like that will be an ongoing issue even if you don't drop it. I noticed it on some of the pics of pre-production phones. The stainless band on my 4 is still pristine over 2 yrs later.

Last edited:

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
No, you said it was perfect when you got. But you called and got "noted" so you could take it back if you get any scratches in the first 30 days. That's just plain fraud.

Yes I did. I called cs and told them I was concerned about the phone scratching easily. The rep suggested that they would notate my account so I would be covered. Sounds like good service to me.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
And I'd like to clear up the myth that the myth has been cleared up that the black rubs off or flakes away with use. :p Had mine on launch day, have taken extremely good care of it, and I did, in fact, experience some wearing and a very tiny chip or two.

Do I care? Naaah. I finally got my case, and there it will stay for the next __ year(s) or so.

And no, I didn't hit it on anything; I'm the first guy to tell someone if I'm an idiot and cause my iPhone damage.
Same here, mine was unmarred day one. After a few days I had a small worn area along the edge. Fortunately nothing more since then.

rylee27

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Cracked my screen today. It slipped out of my pocket while I was getting in the car. I was gonna exchange for a 32gig before my 30 days was up but I guess I'm out of luck now. Gonna be a long 2 years. :(

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Cracked my screen today. It slipped out of my pocket while I was getting in the car. I was gonna exchange for a 32gig before my 30 days was up but I guess I'm out of luck now. Gonna be a long 2 years. :(

Things like this make me second guess the no case bit. But my 4 has had no case for over 6 months now. My daughter even dropped it on the tile and it was fine. It's all luck of the draw in how it lands.

Sorry to see this though. :(

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Just dropped my phone :mad:

Slipped from my pocket to the floor, fortunately I don't have stone carpets and my iPhone 5 isn't one of the special edition made from marshmallow and sugar glass.

Not a single mark, scratch, ding. Still perfect :).

Bluphyre

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
I've had the phone since Friday and everything is good except for one tiny nick. I got the Nick by accidentally bumping into a plastic chair and it nicked the phone

rylee27

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Things like this make me second guess the no case bit. But my 4 has had no case for over 6 months now. My daughter even dropped it on the tile and it was fine. It's all luck of the draw in how it lands.

Sorry to see this though. :(

This is my first time going without a case! I really wish I would have put one on but my husband has never used a case and he made me feel silly for always using one. Of course I blame him for my cracked screen now.

rylee27

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Here is a pic of my cracked phone. :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 326

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Here is a pic of my cracked phone. :(

Not sure if it'll work, but I would suggest talking to somebody at the Apple store and see if they are willing to exchange for you. It'll most likely through the genius. Then if you want to exchange for a different size, you can sell it and buy another one.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
Got black on launch day. Haven't had a case on it. Been in pocket with keys, car cup holder, etc. No scuffs or scratches yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.