Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
still no scratches after some abuse. Dropped it on tile yesterday. Have been having in pockets with keys/change. black :)

----------

Here is a pic of my cracked phone. :(

not that bad. at least it didn't web into the usable part

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Been carrying my black iPhone 5 naked because I haven't been able to get a case yet. I've been careful with it so far, and there's no scruffs or scratches.

I have been waiting for this slim case for a couple of days now. I had to buy apple care just in case I drop it.. I don't like rocking it naked because I have to treat it like a "precious jewel" for which its not. Just a over expensive phone that I can't put down. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SE9IIS?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Naked and blemish free......and I'm a farmer so it gets punished! Give it a few weeks and it will get scratched but i don't really care as long as it works! To many anal people on here! ;)

mr-slave_39410.jpg

Geezuz Christh!

Totally agree man. It's just a damn phone. I wish people cared about their health and their well-being as much as they do about their smartphones.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
No case here. White iPhone 5. First thing I noticed when taking it out the box was how light and thin it was! I just can't bring myself to put a case on it. No scratches, nicks, scuffs as of yet.

I'm still debating on whether or not to at least put a minimalistic case on it. At least for some grip. Sometimes it hard to pluck this thing into my hand from a flat surface because it's so thin.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
My cat bit mine, no joke - he has issues. Tiniest bit of silver showing through and I also have a very slight scratch on the bezel, not sure if I can attribute that to the cat though.

Otherwise this thing is holding up fine!

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
Mine was great until I dropped it onto my macbook pro while plugging it into the charger. Took a nice gouge out of the side by the volume buttons. It was more like a tap than a drop; maybe fell from 2 inches. :rolleyes:

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
It seems its actually the ones in the box that are the blemished ones ;)

I only said it was in the box, not that the box was still sealed.

I actually checked in the shop that it was in good condition before accepting, hence my comment was said with certainty rather than based on an assumption

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Can we correlate the durability to particular production weeks?

Or production facility?

I have seen at least 2 factory codes. The one for Foxconn ( Factory DG? Can't remember exactly, it's in the production week thread) and Factory C3 (which I can't put a name to, even with some Googling).

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK
Can we correlate the durability to particular production weeks?

Or production facility?

I have seen at least 2 factory codes. The one for Foxconn ( Factory DG? Can't remember exactly, it's in the production week thread) and Factory C3 (which I can't put a name to, even with some Googling).

In some of the 'scuffs' threads there has been avid discussion about the aforementioned correlation. However, there have been posts from users listing their devices, with scuffs, and each facility/week number, is having one problem or another.

Basically, it does appear to be limited - but it cant be pinpointed to one factory or one week's batch. Sucks, but thats the way it seems to be.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
It's good to see a lot of people who have a nude 5 are reporting that it still looks new. But this is also after only one week. Give it 6 months. Went to an Apple store today (at local mall) and checked out the white 5. There were several scratches on about 75% of the display models, on the backs, edges and sides. We all know that those display models aren't handled carefully, but the 4S display model looked mint. I'm keeping my 4S until next fall when I have an upgrade for the 5S, but I gotta say, I'm gonna hate giving up the glass body! The 5 looks/feels awesome, but I'm really more into the 4/4S build.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Mine was flawless and still is. Thing is I see it as a dust magnet. Everytime I got it out of my pocket I see more dust than I ever saw with my 4S.

That being said, the polished part of the bezel tends to get some stuff stuck to it. I sometimes look at my phone and see what seems to be a little scuff or a chip. I rub with my finger and it stays there. I rub again and it suddenly moves a bit. I rub again and nothing, can't get it out. After rubbing a little more it disappears. It's like if small particles got stuck and looked like marks while they're not. Crazy. LOL

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
In some of the 'scuffs' threads there has been avid discussion about the aforementioned correlation. However, there have been posts from users listing their devices, with scuffs, and each facility/week number, is having one problem or another.

Basically, it does appear to be limited - but it cant be pinpointed to one factory or one week's batch. Sucks, but thats the way it seems to be.

I don't know what 'production week' really means. Does it mean the week of assembly? The Aluminum unibody is probably made at a different time, as is the electrochemical dipping of a batch for anodization. It could be weeks or over a period of weeks before that batch is used for assembly.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
My white iphone 5 has been naked since the 21st. There are some small scratches on the reflective apple logo on the back but otherwise it is immaculate. I don't make any effort to treat it well. It's going to stay naked.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
My white iphone 5 has been naked since the 21st. There are some small scratches on the reflective apple logo on the back but otherwise it is immaculate. I don't make any effort to treat it well. It's going to stay naked.

/quick look

Not even my apple logo has scratches yet (also after a week of bare pocket carry).

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Naked since launch day... and already showing wear... Phone hasn't been dropped or slid purposely.. Usually is sitting on my desk at work (non-metal)...

Have you tried rubbing that off. Every time my metal back gets marks like that it rubs right off and looks like new. If not, do you have sandpaper in your pockets or something?

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
/quick look

Not even my apple logo has scratches yet (also after a week of bare pocket carry).

Yeah I don't know what caused them, if its just regular pocket stuff, or maybe something in my wife's purse maybe. Not a big deal or anything. For some reason, I'm a huge perfectionist about how it looks out of the box, but when I start dinging it up, I don't care much.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Neurotic.

I paid full price for mine so I think being a little neurotic is justified. Ensuring it stays in mint condition before I get my case will help the phone keep its value. I plan on reselling it next year to upgrade.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
My white iPhone 5 is still like the day I took it out of the box, I went away to Universal Orlando for a couple of days and it held up fine in my pocket naked while on rides and going through haunted houses at Halloween Horror Nights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.