Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bossyman

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
was great (of course, on my 6th one!!! - opened boxes in stores), until just now!!! Plugged in an external speaker system (3.5" plug)...now a half silver circle where some black rubbed off...ugh...

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
was great (of course, on my 6th one!!! - opened boxes in stores), until just now!!! Plugged in an external speaker system (3.5" plug)...now a half silver circle where some black rubbed off...ugh...

hmm weird must be some that werent done right.. mines been just fine. i used my headphones daily. goes into my pocket with keys. no scratches.

Bossyman

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
hmm weird must be some that werent done right.. mines been just fine. i used my headphones daily. goes into my pocket with keys. no scratches.

used my headphones for days with no issues...first time plugging in Logitech external speakers...ugh!

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Here is a pic of my cracked phone. :(

Not sure if it'll work, but I would suggest talking to somebody at the Apple store and see if they are willing to exchange for you. It'll most likely through the genius. Then if you want to exchange for a different size, you can sell it and buy another one.

I would definitely go ask. Thankfully that's not a horrible crack to live with. Several guys at my office are living with shattered screens for a long time.

rylee27

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I would definitely go ask. Thankfully that's not a horrible crack to live with. Several guys at my office are living with shattered screens for a long time.

Yeah, it definitely could be worse. I'll probably go in and see what they can do, if anything. If they won't exchange, I wonder what they'd charge just to replace the glass for me.

faracinman2

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Naked since launch day... and already showing wear... Phone hasn't been dropped or slid purposely.. Usually is sitting on my desk at work (non-metal)...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 950

Jesusrobles115

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
Here in NYC you kind of need a case for protection against theft in the subways/buses. Apple devices theft has gone up like 40% since last year, and a good inconspicuous case might deter a potential thief since they would have to look pretty hard to tell if it's a new phone or a 4. Kind of sucks but I guess that's what happens in the city of 9 million.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Naked since launch day... and already showing wear... Phone hasn't been dropped or slid purposely.. Usually is sitting on my desk at work (non-metal)...

:eek::eek::eek:! I can't believe your phone looks like that after ONE week. YIKES!

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I have the rear sticker still on. I only carry it in my left pocket with nothing else in it. I wrap it with a microfiber cloth when it's inside my pocket. I don't rest it on bare surfaces so I either use a folded tissue or the microfiber cloth.

My case won't get here until next Thursday so that's how I'll carry on with it until then.

Last edited:

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

That's a serious slide scratch on that phone, if you didn't do it I would suggest a jealous work mate did that. That isn't just from being put down on a surface, the scratches show it slid sideways with quite some force (notice the scratches start indistinct get broader and deeper and go indistinct again).

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I have the rear sticker still on. I only carry it in my left pocket with nothing else in it. I wrap it with a microfiber cloth when it's inside my pocket. I don't rest it on bare surfaces so I either use a folded tissue or the microfiber cloth.

My case won't get here until next Thursday so that's how I'll carry on with it until then.

Damn dude I'm surprised you even took it out of the box ! One very careful owner. ;)

Matrim604

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Got the black last Saturday, been holding up well naked so far. No scuffs or scratches out of the box or from use. I ordered a Sena Ultralight pouch but won't get that until end of October.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012

Bro it's a phone...

vasquez

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I had one chip out of the box (noticed later after being made aware of the issue here) and a few more throughout the week. I can deal with scuffs, but the chips on the anodized chamfer bother me. I have also noticed one specks on the back of the aluminum casing (little pieces of the aluminum being exposed).

I use a clear griffin case. I had worse luck with the white iPhone 3G though. That phone was prone (at least for me) to scuffs, scratches and cracks.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010

Neurotic.

AMC89

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2012
Let me get this straight.

Yes, my phone shipped ok (actually there was a scuff worthy of swappage but I forgave Apple).

I dropped the phone, yep, my fault.

On a carpet. You realise that a carpet is a carpet. From about 1 foot. And the phone scuffed to hell. On a carpet. Woolen little carpet that contained a tiny little stone from the bottom of a shoe. Not my shoe, I remove them at the door. A carpet.

Your phone scuffed on a stone mate not carpet. If carpet scuffed it there would be no phone involved son.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Dropped mine from waist height last night on the tile floor. Got 2 shiny spots on the chamfer on the 2 bottom corners. Sharpie made them go away. ;) I feel a lot more relaxed about it having gotten that out of the way.

rylee27

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Well, since my drop that resulted in a cracked screen yesterday, the inside of the phone is now rattling. Obviously something got knocked loose. I can deal with the cracked screen but I am afraid the phone will eventually stop working. Guess I need to make a genius appt. to see what my options are. Don't drop your phones!!!

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
I gave my launch day black to my three year old with the headphones still plugged in.. Upon hearing a strange noise I looked up and he was dragging it around a hardwood floor like a puppy on a leash (I'm not advocating puppy dragging). No scuffs, scratches, dings, nicks, chips, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.