Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dukeluke

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Hold onto it and do the work your self.

Dude I have got the same late 2008 macbook aluminum body (refurbished from apple) I replaced the battery last year from some site online for $50, replaced the power cord from apple for $90 (what a rip) and recently installed 8GB RAM ($90) and 480 GB SSD ($300) from crucial. Apple recommends max 4 gb RAM but it can handle 8. I also upgraded to Maveriks from snow leapard. Those upgrades have made my MacBook feel like new minus the few dents and scratches. Not sure what you can do about your screen but I plan use my MacBook for years to come.

Last edited:

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
i was using two 1.25ghz's imacs as my main computers and about a couple of months ago i bought a 2.13ghz macbook to use for a more modern computing experience. and my macbook is very nice, it looks like new, has a 500gb hard drive in it and is so much faster than my g4's but after using it i have one big problem. i don't like the glossy screen. i've messed around with different resolutions, different brightness settings and different viewing distances from my eyes and nothing works well for me. so i've gone back to my imacs. maybe one day they'll be so old that they won't be usable for me. or maybe not. i'll keep my macbook though. load up a bunch of movies, wire it into my television and set it next to the tv on a shelf. seems like a waste of money just to use it for that but i'm ok with that also. the g4's are slower on the internet but more than half the time that i'm on a computer i'm not on the internet anyway.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I have a late 2008 white MacBook that I use as my second machine. I bought it used a year ago, it is still in great shape... I put a 90 GB SSD in it and 4 GB of RAM, after doing that it felt like a new machine... I use it almost every day for web surfing, email, some photoshop and for running some video presentations in the theatre where I work... It handles all that really well...

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
i was using two 1.25ghz's imacs as my main computers and about a couple of months ago i bought a 2.13ghz macbook to use for a more modern computing experience. and my macbook is very nice, it looks like new, has a 500gb hard drive in it and is so much faster than my g4's but after using it i have one big problem. i don't like the glossy screen. i've messed around with different resolutions, different brightness settings and different viewing distances from my eyes and nothing works well for me. so i've gone back to my imacs. maybe one day they'll be so old that they won't be usable for me. or maybe not. i'll keep my macbook though. load up a bunch of movies, wire it into my television and set it next to the tv on a shelf. seems like a waste of money just to use it for that but i'm ok with that also. the g4's are slower on the internet but more than half the time that i'm on a computer i'm not on the internet anyway.

You could get an antiglare screen protector for the MacBook, just look on Amazon or eBay for a1181 antiglare screen protector.

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
I recently bought the MacBook listed in my signature. I bought it from a guy on Cragslist. It was listed as having a bad keyboard and bad HDD due to damage. So I bought it for 50 bucks. Hard Drive was immediately replaced with 160GB I had laying around from another MacBook. This was done mostly to make sure it would work. What wasn't mentioned in the ad was the bent screen hinge. When closed it would be off by about 3/4 of an inch. I had an extra screen from a black MacBook and just did a complete swap. It is now a half white and half black laptop. Today I bought a 530 series SSD for it and ordered a new airport card. The current airport card suffers from the same issue so many others suffer from. I want to order a black keyboard/top case and replace the keys on it with those from the existing white one. I have had some difficulty finding one as I do not use ebay.I have a fully working white one, so I will just put that on until I find a black one. I also ordered an awesome Sub Zero decal for it. Once it is done, I plan on using it as my main computer.

Edit - I just replaced the airport card and it is working good. 7 dollars to powerbookmedic and 15 minutes for repair.

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
My late-2009 Macbook was used as my main computer until Dec/2013. I just bought a rMBP, more for consumerism than a real necessity. The Macbook was upgraded with 8GB ram and a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO ssd and it's running Mavericks fine. In everyday usage, I can't see much difference between rMBP and MB.

SriKrishna108

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
I love my Early 2009 white!

I actually bought a refurbished Early 2009 white in October. I paid $340 for it, then had to replace charger for $80 a few weeks ago (the tip in the one that was supplied melted), and I may upgrade the RAM. Bought it preloaded with: OS X Mountain Lion (I was mistakenly given one w/Snow Leopard; they then sent me a Mountain Lion disk. It now has Mavericks), iLife '09, iWork '09 (now has iWork '13), Office 2008, 120GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 2.0 GHz Intel Penryn Core2Duo. Will eventually buy a 2.9 GHz Ivy Bridge non-Retina MBP, but for now, I'm very happy with my white. It runs pretty good, but I did, and still do a little bit, have that problem with Mavericks where it would crash like the waves (pun intended). It's also a bit slow to boot up (takes ~5 mins.) and gives me a couple of those pesky spinning beachballs (would kind of be cool if I had the wave background, but I love my ALF wallpaper). But all in all, I LOVE my white MacBook, and feel that I got a very good deal on it.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Currently running with a BlackBook, late 06, 1,1 I believe. Running WinXP and SL, mainly used for portability at work. Just bought a 2.4 Ghz Aluminum MacBook on eBay. Great condition, with a 128GB Intel SSD. Probably have to replace logic board as previous owner had a liquid spill years ago and it finally started acting up. Got it for $150 so I can't complain. Best I can find is $260 out of China, any other sources?

My plan was go to from BlackBook to a MBA, but I have an attraction to the Aluminum MacBook, an outcast that was way over powered to be a weaker sibling. Unfortunately, a lot of cheap MBA on eBay have a lot of damage (screen, logic board), and component prices are still too high for those. Have a knack for resurrecting old Mac hardware. Kind of enjoy that more than using the computers themselves...;)

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I still have my Blackbook; it holds sentimental value to me because it was the first laptop that I bought, and my first Mac. I use it sometimes, but mostly I have it as a spare machine in the house for when I have family or guests over and they want to get on the interwebs. I'm going to keep that machine running as long as I can

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I still have my Blackbook; it holds sentimental value to me because it was the first laptop that I bought, and my first Mac.

My Late 2008 Aluminum MB was also my first Mac so it also holds sentimental value. Don't use it much now that I have 15" Haswell rMBP but like to have it around as a spare.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 269

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I always wanted a 2008 aMB. Mainly because they're sort of a limited edition type thing. I almost bought one.. then found a 2010 MBP for about $100 more.

spangled

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
North-East England
I'm still using a late 2008 unibody aluminium MacBook.

I had a thread about it:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1648209/

where I canvassed for thoughts on upgrading/replacing. In the end (see post 29), I went for installing a SSD in the optical bay and keeping my HDD in situ. It's all working great, fingers crossed, and I hope to use this machine for another year or two.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
I'm still using a late 2008 unibody aluminium MacBook.

I had a thread about it:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1648209/

where I canvassed for thoughts on upgrading/replacing. In the end (see post 29), I went for installing a SSD in the optical bay and keeping my HDD in situ. It's all working great, fingers crossed, and I hope to use this machine for another year or two.

As long as the HDD stays running, I would say it will be fine.

dictinaker

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Any one know which one Alexandra Daddario get?

Just so many MacBook Guys.
I bet Alexandra Daddario have the same MacBook with me!:D

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I gave my little cousins my Late 09 white unibody macbook. Upgraded it to 8GB of ram and a 128GB SSD. THings flies and did a fresh install of Mountain lion for them.

They use the heck out of that thing everyday and claim its the best thing :D
But little did they know that i had given it a complete upgrade. Its funny hearing how they want to get a mac for their next computer if they ever get a new one.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I'm still using my old Core Duo MacBook that I've had around since 2006; it's a wonderful little laptop. I'm a teacher, so I use it as my classroom computer, letting me work on my teaching materials at home. I've tinkered with it over the years, slowly upgrading various bits of it and helping it out as parts have failed. It has a single 2GB RAM stick in it, as one of the slots died a few years back, but it's no worse off for it. The Bluetooth module was failing and preventing it from sleeping, so that got pulled out. I upgraded it to 802.11n wifi using the card from my old Apple TV (which is now living its life as my server), and it works perfectly in the old fella. The battery was replaced by Apple a few years ago, and still shows up at 98% health and lasts the machine 4-5 hours. There isn't much if any cosmetic damage to the machine - I tend to take very good care of my electronics, and this MacBook is no exception. I also threw in an old 64GB SSD that I picked up cheaply; with all of these upgrades, the old machine absolutely flies, and I plan on using it as my classroom computer for as long as it will last me!

Attachments

• IMG_2951.JPG
    IMG_2951.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Screen shot 2014-01-23 at 7.19.16 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-01-23 at 7.19.16 AM.png
    585.2 KB · Views: 389

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I'm still using my old Core Duo MacBook that I've had around since 2006; it's a wonderful little laptop. I'm a teacher, so I use it as my classroom computer, letting me work on my teaching materials at home. I've tinkered with it over the years, slowly upgrading various bits of it and helping it out as parts have failed. It has a single 2GB RAM stick in it, as one of the slots died a few years back, but it's no worse off for it. The Bluetooth module was failing and preventing it from sleeping, so that got pulled out. I upgraded it to 802.11n wifi using the card from my old Apple TV (which is now living its life as my server), and it works perfectly in the old fella. The battery was replaced by Apple a few years ago, and still shows up at 98% health and lasts the machine 4-5 hours. There isn't much if any cosmetic damage to the machine - I tend to take very good care of my electronics, and this MacBook is no exception. I also threw in an old 64GB SSD that I picked up cheaply; with all of these upgrades, the old machine absolutely flies, and I plan on using it as my classroom computer for as long as it will last me!

Wow i must say that you have taken good care of your Mac. Props to you :)

(Chanticleer)

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014
Still using my MacBook Early 2008 White, 160GB HDD, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GBs RAM, still works and runs awesome with Lion 10.7.5. Some wear around certain areas, but still is great condition. Its used mainly for classwork, email, web-surfing and virtual box environments that are needed for study (Linux Mint 16, BackTrack 5R3, Windows XP Black, etc.)

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
My niece has a 2010 white MB 7,1. It had 2GB of memory and a 250GB drive. Boot time took daze. :eek:

I upgraded memory to 8GB and that made a huge improvement. Saturday I will replace the HD with a 500GB SSD. Sadly she will not get max benefit due to the interface in the MB being SATA2, not SATA3. But it still beats a slow 5400rpm drive that could crash at any moment.

I told this is the last step before out and out replacement with a MBP...that she has to pay for. ;)

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Just finished working on niece's white macbook 7,1. I replaced the HD with Samsung 840 EVO 500GB, upgraded to Mavericks, and turned on trim.

Boot time was cut from 1:03 to 0:25. :eek: Opening apps is much faster, more like a newer Air. ;)

She can use it for a while longer and then pass it to someone in the family.

Glad I did the upgrade....she just found out her daughter needs $7000 worth of braces over the next couple of years. No new rMBP for the niece.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.