Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumrunner

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014
Early '09 5,2, Mavericks, 4GB, Crucial 256 SSD, second battery, Win 7 via VMWare. Work and personal stuff.

Though I am seriously looking at refurb 13" rMBPs.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I have a white mid 2009 13'' Macbook, but I have not owned it since new. I purchased this from Amazon late last year and I love it, it is my main computer for classwork (i do online college) and for some at home work with powerpoint. I have not done anything to it as far as upgrades but would love a larger harddrive and more RAM.

joebingo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Still using a 1,1 here. Pretty battered and the screen flickers a bit (a lot since this weekend), I'm looking at a 15" retina for payday though :D

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Our school has over 200 macbooks and macbook pros that they use. Still have alot of the A1181 with the 160gb hdd, 2.1 core2 duo for the middle school, and high school gets the 11" macbook air's. Teachers get macbook pros, though the models range a bit. Oh and I personally still use a Macbook A1181 with the 2.0 ghz intel with 4gb of ram :D

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Still using 2006 macbook 32bit with 2 gb of ram, very battered up but runs just as well or even better than the first day when i got it

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I still have a 2008 unibody MacBook, but I just bought an 11 inch Air to replace it as my full time machine. The battery life had gotten too poor (even with a new one), and it had bogged down noticeably in recent months. I did a clean install of Mavericks on it last night and it runs a lot better, but still nowhere close to the new Air. I will use it as a media server and probably throw Boot Camp or Parallels on it to have a Windows machine as well.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I've got an old 6,1 that I refuse to part with. It's got cracked hinges through no fault of its own, and the display panel has some weird spots and streaks where the light is uneven. However, Apple was great and gave me a brand new bottom case due to the recall, and I've since replaced a failed HDD with another 250 GB model as well as upgrade to 4GB of RAM. It makes a fine computer for surfing the net, but I find that it starts to choke and slow down when I work in Excel. Not sure if it's due to only being dual core, or the 4GB, but it's much slower to do heavy lifting than my work laptop (HP Elitebook, core i7.) But, I love her nonetheless.

HarCees

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
I'm using a Mid 2010 unibody Macbook white with 16gb ram, 250gb SSD and 1TB second hard drive. Considering that the 2010 Macbook has a GPU that completely crushes any 2011 Macbook Air/Macbook Pro's dedicated GPU - and even wins over the 2012 Macbook Air/Macbook Pro's HD4000, I don't think It should be considered "strange" by any means.

the new HD 5000 in 2013 Macbook Air has not shown any great performance increase considering its a 3 year newer model, so I'm still waiting for a better release.

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
The majority of Apple notebooks I see people using in public are older MacBooks. For any non-specialized purposes, they still have more than enough juice for regular consumer use. I use my late 07' C2D BlackBook around the house on occasion for basic web browsing and watching videos, even though the fans go crazy and it struggles due to its 1GB of RAM and 160GB HD. :eek:

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
The majority of Apple notebooks I see people using in public are older MacBooks. For any non-specialized purposes, they still have more than enough juice for regular consumer use. I use my late 07' C2D BlackBook around the house on occasion for basic web browsing and watching videos, even though the fans go crazy and it struggles due to its 1GB of RAM and 160GB HD. :eek:

Same with me... Why do the fans go so crazy like that? I'm sure it wasn't like that when I first got it... Even with SL installed its still like that. Have you found a solution to this?

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I'm still using a late 09 Macbook as my home computer. I have an OWC SSD in it. Runs fast, but looking to upgrade to a retina MPB soon. The white macbook has some cracks in places, not really something that can be fixed. I'll keep for simple tasks, but at the rate tech moves its time for an upgrade.

Like I said for non CPU intensive tasks, it runs great. Will be a bedside web surfing machine :)

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Greetings! Im also still rocking the macbook! Mines the 3,1 late 2007 model. Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2ghz, 4gb DDr2 Ram, 750gb seagate Barracuda HDD, Upgraded from its original config of 1gb ram and 120gb hdd. I love this computer. It was my first laptop and i use it daily for school work and a tad bit of gaming. It runs SL and Win 7 via boot camp and after 746 battery cycles i still get about 1.5-2 hours on it with 47% health. After 6 years, 3 months of usage im still pushing it forward, as its perfect for school. I refuse to part with it for a macbook pro. if i have to i will install lion and try to force windows 8. ha ha. i plan to use it for the next 4 years for school as i have a desktop PC which i game on.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I've been using a 2006 black macbook 2,1 for the last week. 2.0ghz C2D, 2GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD. My main computer is a 2012 MBA, and I got the black mac for my Mom. In a couple of weeks it will be her main computer, but until then I get to use it :)

It's actually a lot better than I expected for its age. For "normal" everyday tasks it works almost as well as my MBA. The screen isn't as good as my MBA but it is bright and the colors pop. Bootup time is 20 seconds, shutdown time is 3 seconds. It is quicker than I expected for an 8 year old computer, especially compared to Windows machines of the same age. I have no issues playing HD youtube videos or browsing the internet. The only thing that slows it down is graphics-intensive programs. I tried to install Google Earth but it wouldn't run. That won't be a problem though because my Mom will mostly be using it for email and photos.

jl33

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Bordeaux
Mad Mac'x

My Macbook White 2.16 is running quiet good, but...
Changed to ram to 4 Gb for $20 (no more possible, i tried), putted an SSD
has no longer optical drive (hs)
has no keyboard/trackpad/power button ; i'm using a screwdriver & a K750 Logitech, waiting for the day I will find that item...

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Same with me... Why do the fans go so crazy like that? I'm sure it wasn't like that when I first got it... Even with SL installed its still like that. Have you found a solution to this?

Dust gets in the laptop and reduces thermal transfer, so the fans have to spin faster to keep the system cool.

If you can open it up and (gently!) blow all the dust out of it with a compressed air can, it may help your situation. Do NOT aim the compressed air directly at the fans from close-up as you will destroy them.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Early 2008 White Macbook with MLPostFactor (Thanks to it's creators). Still flies with 4GB of Ram and a Samsung 840 SSD

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 140

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Dust gets in the laptop and reduces thermal transfer, so the fans have to spin faster to keep the system cool.

If you can open it up and (gently!) blow all the dust out of it with a compressed air can, it may help your situation. Do NOT aim the compressed air directly at the fans from close-up as you will destroy them.

I actually took it to an Apple store before it was marked as 'vintage' or whatnot so they cleaned it up for me... I think the fan's broken, it seems to grind, not turn... Which may be the problem..

jdmar2004

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Picked up an 08 2.4 Black MacBook for $50 the other day. I replaced the battery and installed snow leopard. Next ill go from 2 to 4GB of ram and put in a 120GB SSD. I was going get one from OWC but I see that crucial has one a little cheaper.

macbethfan

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2010
Twentynine Palms, CA
Picked up an 08 2.4 Black MacBook for $50 the other day. I replaced the battery and installed snow leopard. Next ill go from 2 to 4GB of ram and put in a 120GB SSD. I was going get one from OWC but I see that crucial has one a little cheaper.

I just updated my 08 Blackbook (i've had it since 2009) and I pretty much gave this thing a new life. I highly recommend the Crucial M500, even though you'll only get SATA 1 speeds out of it. This thing boots in 20-25 seconds now. Also, if you can afford it, I'd skip the 4GB of RAM and go straight for 6GB. Stick with Snow Leopard. DO NOT put Lion on it. I did and had to revert back. I thought that with the SSD and the RAM upgrade that Lion would be faster, but it's not. Also, if you don't use the optical drive, I'd get a HD enclosure and put a secondary HD there to store all of your media and such. I'm not sure what you're purpose of this machine will be, but mine is my main computer since I can't afford a new MBP at the moment. The final repair I did for mine was a redo of the thermal paste. If you don't think you can do it yourself, you can, but it takes a lot of patience to get right. My CPU temp went from 180-190 degrees at it's peak before to 140-150 degrees now. My main purpose in doing this was to keep the fan from coming on full blast after opening one window in Chrome and iTunes at the same time. Hope this helps! Message me if you have any questions.

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
I got a white mid-2010 MB from a relative who thought it was dead. I replaced the hard drive and a missing key and installed Mavericks. Perfect mobile complement to my iMac.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Just used mine last week. Great little Mac, plenty of people still have them, and they work great.

phudq90

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
I'm still using a White MB881 (Macbook5,2) early 2009. And it's great still now, i dont have any Macs or PCs, just this one for all.
I love the unibody design and if i've money i'll buy a 2010 unibody.

@HIMAN1998: Does 8GB of RAM on your 'late 2008' works great? Does the OSX use all of 8GB memory installed? I'm still running with 2GB and want to upgrade.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
I'm still using a White MB881 (Macbook5,2) early 2009. And it's great still now, i dont have any Macs or PCs, just this one for all.
I love the unibody design and if i've money i'll buy a 2010 unibody.

@HIMAN1998: Does 8GB of RAM on your 'late 2008' works great? Does the OSX use all of 8GB memory installed? I'm still running with 2GB and want to upgrade.

Yes, the 8GB can all be used, it commonly does when running my Windows 8 VM that has half set to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.