Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Right now I'm a fan of Apple products, not Apple as a company.

If you ask me both Apple and Google are evil. Apple just makes better products.

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
They have the right to defend what's from them, but I hope that they aren't doing it just because they're angry and because they want to harm Apple.

I honestly couldn't care less if they are. Apple certainly didn't care when they did the same.

Am I the only Apple fanboy here that does not feel sorry for Apple this time, or is it a common sentiment?

I love Apple products, but it seems the company is turning out pretty Orwellian lately.

I don't feel sorry for Apple but then again i'm not a fanboy I don't believe in pledging allegiance to a company unless i'm heavily invested in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
"orthogonal frequency division multiplexing" is an egregious offense by Apple and they should be punished by the fullest extent of the law.

You do not mess around with "orthogonal frequency division multiplexing".

Everyone thinks they can use "orthogonal frequency division multiplexing" and not pay HTC, and clearly that is not the case. "orthogonal frequency division multiplexing" means HTC in Spanish. So it is in their freaking name.

Come on Apple.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Wasn't Google ridiculed for saying exactly the same thing you just said a week or so ago on this very forum ? I think the actual terms used was "whiners, wahmbulance" and other such witty remarks.

So I guess you should prepare yourself for a thorough flaming and a good heap of insults for the comment you just made.

The patent system in the US is night useless for protecting innovation anymore. If anything, the patents granted are so broad they have become a force that prevents innovation rather than encourage it. Like Google has said. Like you've just said. Like I've just said.

It seems that the posters screaming "whiners" should take a minute to think over what all these patent lawsuits are accomplishing. Are they really promoting innovation ?

Well.... I was in the crowd that thought Google sounded a little whiney. The basis of what they were saying was true, but they sounded like sore losers in the bid for the Nextel patents.

Again... I don't think there is no innocent party here. Even Apple and I'm a huge fan. But it seems to be the "way things are done" now in high-tech. Steal like crazy and wait to be sued, then counter sue.

I do think it is sad that Apple really did figure out the "secret sauce" for smart phones first, and yet they seem to have little capability to stop others from stealing at will. But again... they are all guilty of it now... but it's hard not to steal since they are patenting things the most broad and silly things.

Bottom line... the patent system needs an overhaul.

Cactusss

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
I completely agree with the whole "patent lawsuits stifle innovation", until I saw a Samsung phone and an LG phone the other day the look almost identical to the iphone 3 in form factor. A coworker with the iphone and the guy who owns the samsung swapped phones and had to dial their own numbers later on to get their phones back.

In my eyes, SOME of these patent lawsuits combat the lack of innovation rather.

It has gone out of hand though...

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Am I the only Apple fanboy here that does not feel sorry for Apple this time, or is it a common sentiment?

I love Apple products, but it seems the company is turning out pretty Orwellian lately.

You're not alone. I am a big fan of Apple, have been, but some things they do lately - yeah, Orwellian.

Don't like it. :(

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Right now I'm a fan of Apple products, not Apple as a company.

If you ask me both Apple and Google are evil. Apple just makes better products.

Personally... I don't think either are "evil". They are both just trying to compete in a very fast moving and competitive world. Of course they want to take market share from each other... that's business. It's competitive, but it does not make them evil.

edwardlanti

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2005
new york city
I completely agree with the whole "patent lawsuits stifle innovation", until I saw a Samsung phone and an LG phone the other day the look almost identical to the iphone 3 in form factor. A coworker with the iphone and the guy who owns the samsung swapped phones and had to dial their own numbers later on to get their phones back.

LOL are you kidding me? Like the guy couldnt see the big Samsung Logo on it right?

realmike15

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
These patent arms races need to stop (on both sides). Half these patents they are filing have no intention of ever making it to production. The whole thing is pathetic. Imagine being a new company trying to create products from the ground up, and every piece of technology you use is patented. Even general things, that patent experts admit doesn't fall under the category of patent worthy technology.

Patents were intended as protection, not a source of income and revenue.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

not like apple invented the touch screen and virtual keyboards along with ARM CPU's.

i tell people that the iphone and android phones are about 90% the same

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
HTC don't know who they messing with...Apple got other patent lawsuits waiting in the wings to take HTC down...I say bring it on HTC!

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011

What!??? I could throw my iPhone 4 into a pile of 20 other iPhone 4s and I still wouldn't have to dial my number to figure out which one is mine! This is the best made up story ever!!!!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
You're not alone. I am a big fan of Apple, have been, but some things they do lately - yeah, Orwellian.

Don't like it. :(

I don't get it.... don't you think the company that totally changed the smart phone market has the right to try and protect what they invented?

As do these other companies too. But it's all just business. Sure, Apple, Google, Moto, Samsung and others all want to be the smart phone king of the hill... it's called business... it's what they do.... but they are not plotting against humanity... they are only playing the current business game.

Enjoy the products and watch the show. Who knows... you might learn something. We are seeing major changes in technology and business practices. Might as well learn something.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
So you're saying they all should let Apple steam roll over them in court ? This is a defensive move on HTC's part, a response to Apple's lawsuit. When attacked, you either yield or defend yourself.

Which would you do ?

No problems with defensive maneuvers, but this one appears frivolous-- just a time waster. I've reads the patents -- there's no connection to a Mac. I would have taken it more seriously if they had gone after iPhones but adding the Macs just makes this silly.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
men-s-hit-me-with-your-best-shot-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-palmer-cash-palmer-cash-2.jpg

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

ur kidding right? don't let me lose faith in humanity, people clearly cant be that stupid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.