Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
me too - please add a new 'Read to snooze' tab for all the 'boring' stuff
:D
Nig

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take these stories off the front page. Filing a patent lawsuit is about as exciting as watching grass grow. Wait! I take that back. Grass is much more exciting!

Now, if there is a ruling that will affect my ability to purchase an Apple product, then it warrants front page.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Name at least 3 copies that Apple made in iOS 5 and where there from...
('Cause I don't really believe you :S)

Notifications (Android)
OTA updates (Android)
iMessage (Blackberry)
Volume as camera button (WP7 and tons of others, heck my SE phone from 2005 had that...).
Voice Control (Any old phone. Appeared on my T610 or my w810 first, don't remember which).
There's a few more.

Don't believe me all you want, Apple does the same amount of "copying" that others do.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Revisionist history at its best. You should remember that the iPhone was not a smartphone at all during its introduction. It only became so because iPhone users and buyers wanted more "smarts" out of their phones, just like the Palm, Windows Mobile, Symbian and Blackberry users had been getting for years prior.

The smartphone is not an Apple invention. It wasn't even Apple's intention with the iPhone, they caved to public pressure to release an SDK, an App Store and make the iPhone a smartphone so it could compete with the other smartphones.

And now, it's not even the most popular smartphone platform. While its a good one, iOS 4 is quite showing its age and iOS 5 resorts to copying other innovators for features instead of coming up with fresh ones.

Apple are now trying to catch up again, like they were doing in 2007.

i'm sure there are a few API's in iOS 5 that took a long time to code and aren't going to be hyped because the normal user can't see them

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Notifications (Android)
OTA updates (Android)
iMessage (Blackberry)
Volume as camera button (WP7 and tons of others, heck my SE phone from 2005 had that...).
Voice Control (Any old phone. Appeared on my T610 or my w810 first, don't remember which).
There's a few more.

Don't believe me all you want, Apple does the same amount of "copying" that others do.

Well, I believe you when you say iMessage (Blackberry), but its still a very different technology that Apple uses for it...

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Karma is a bitch, ain't it..

With all these lawsuits, I suspect number of patent law graduates is going to increase dramatically. And best part, with all new competitors coming, these grads will always find a job.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Its really not that complicated. The gist of the situation is closer to a 'flame war' than you think.

Apple is flush with cash. They probably decided to sue to:
1. At worst, slow their multiple competitors down
2. At best get injunctions against competing devices or features.

Some people might claim legitimate infringement, but it is hard to take such claims seriously when there is so much prior art and so many overlapping patents for obvious methods in the wild.

Large companies respond to lawsuits by starting their own lawsuits, which largely devolve into he-said/she-said arguments. Sometimes the companies can settle it nicely (cross patent licensing agreements), sometimes compromises are made (courts force 'fairly priced' licensing for critical patents), and sometimes one side just wins the case.

It is important to note who apple has and hasn't sued. Sony makes tablets and Android phones, but Apple probably doesn't want to jeapordize iTunes access to Sony's music library by antagonizing their parent company.

HTC's lawsuit is simply self defense. There is no reason to not fight back when you're being picked on by a bully who has already decided to beat you up.

Stay tuned for Apple to claim collusion against them when all the companies they have picked fights with (Samsung, Motorola) decide to fight back.

Many people won't want to admit it, but deep down, the reason Apple is suing now is because they completely understand that they cannot hope to perpetually stay ahead of 4 or 5 of the biggest electronics manufacturers in the world who only have to do half the work to put out a tablet (Google is supplying them with software for free).

Either the quality of the product or their profit margins will take a hit in the long run. Apple is just doing what it can as soon as it can to maintain their current position.

apple's fault for not hiring enough people and using the idiotic small team mentality where they shuffle people from project to project

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
i'm sure there are a few API's in iOS 5 that took a long time to code and aren't going to be hyped because the normal user can't see them

I never said iOS 5 was just a big rip off of others either, just like Android isn't just a big rip off of iOS. It's just the conversations are so one-sided here all the time. It's always "Apple innovates others copy" or some such nonsense. And even when Apple copies and others innovate, you never quite manage to get a few people to admit to it.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
However, they do also need to protect their designs and why shouldn't they. Android/Windows phone users, please remember that without the iPhone there would be no smart phones at all.

Oh, really? BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Symbian? Those were all smart phones.

At the end of the day, people only buy non Apple products coz they can't afford the real thing. Anyone who says otherwise is just deluding themselves, this is not fanboyism, it's just a fact.

Listen here buddy, don't go around talking like you know about my financial situation. I have an Android. I can afford an iPhone. I can go out and buy one for the full unsubsidized price right now if I wanted to. I don't want to. I choose to have Android. It's just a fact, now get your facts straight.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Listen here buddy, don't go around talking like you know about my financial situation. I have an Android. I can afford an iPhone. I can go out and buy one for the full unsubsidized price right now if I wanted to. I don't want to. I choose to have Android. It's just a fact, now get your facts straight.

It's funny how "people who don't have an iPhone just couldn't afford it" is sung as gospel here when there's plenty of other options that are just as costly as iPhones and yet aren't made by Apple. :D

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Oh, really? BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Symbian? Those were all smart phones.

Did you ever used an iPhone?
Why do you chose to have an Android phone?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
That link is pathetic. They are massively clutching at straws.

How so? Take the Notification Center for example. The one in iOS5 looks and behaves a lot like the one on Android. No? If it is completely different please explain to us what makes it so different.

OTA updates? Why did Apple go this route if their method of hooking up to a computer and syncing with iTunes was a better idea? Now I don't know if Apple is using the same technology to provide those updates, but it is an idea they copied. No?

There are more examples of making iOS5 behave like Android, but in the end you could go back and forth on who copied what.

It's funny how "people who don't have an iPhone just couldn't afford it" is sung as gospel here when there's plenty of other options that are just as costly as iPhones and yet aren't made by Apple. :D

I never understood the whole idea about Android phones being so cheap and that is why everyone is buying them, because they cannot afford an iPhone. There are many high end Android phones that cost just as much as an iPhone and if people can't afford an iPhone I doubt they can afford a data plan for any smartphone.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, no kidding. Isn't the Samsung Galaxy II somewhere north of $500? That's what an unsubsidized iPhone goes for.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
How so? Take the Notification Center for example. The one in iOS5 looks and behaves a lot like the one on Android. No? If it is completely different please explain to us what makes it so different.

OTA updates? Why did Apple go this route if their method of hooking up to a computer and syncing with iTunes was a better idea? Now I don't know if Apple is using the same technology to provide those updates, but it is an idea they copied. No?

There are more examples of making iOS5 behave like Android, but in the end you could go back and forth on who copied what.

Aha, that's where you can make on giant of a point.
'Cause if it looks a little bit like, but works different, than there is no problem at all.
No patents needed.

for example: take 2 cars: they both drive..., so they are the same right?
Say what?!? Now I'm gonna give them a lawsuit!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Its smacks desperation. :confused:

"Notification looks and behaves" isn't the same as pixel for pixel.

OTA updates just fits in with the iCloud route they are going. Makes sense. I'm sure they didn't look at android and think "thats a good idea".

People criticize apple a lot and its users but if that site represents Android and their users i feel really embarrassed for them.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Revisionist History! WTH?

What are you talking about fella?

The iPhone was a game changer in the phone industry, if you don't accept that then, OK that's your right to have an opinion.

When I say "smartphone" I mean a smartphone as we know them today not one that was just called a smart phone before the iPhone came along.

At that time, did all these other so called smartphones that you mention have large touch screens and a beautiful operating system that's a pleasure to use, not to mention movement and proximity sensors, a mute switch that you don't need to switch the screen on to use and a built in iPod? No I didn't think so.

OK so the original product didn't have MMS but it did have a proper web browser and proper email what did the others have that made them smart?

I think you need to have a think about what came before and what there is out there now. Maybe Apple didn't "invent" the smartphone but they sure as hell re-invented it and now everyone else is copying them wholesale.
Revisionist history at its best. You should remember that the iPhone was not a smartphone at all during its introduction. It only became so because iPhone users and buyers wanted more "smarts" out of their phones, just like the Palm, Windows Mobile, Symbian and Blackberry users had been getting for years prior.

The smartphone is not an Apple invention. It wasn't even Apple's intention with the iPhone, they caved to public pressure to release an SDK, an App Store and make the iPhone a smartphone so it could compete with the other smartphones.

And now, it's not even the most popular smartphone platform. While its a good one, iOS 4 is quite showing its age and iOS 5 resorts to copying other innovators for features instead of coming up with fresh ones.

Apple are now trying to catch up again, like they were doing in 2007.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.