Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You know you can do this on an iPhone to, since the App store opened. Nice try though. Fandroids are so cute sometimes

With Android, I can browse the App Marketplace on my computer, taking advantage of the nice, large screen, multiple browser tabs if I'm comparing multiple applications to see which one's the best, etc, click install, and a few seconds later, it's on my phone. No wires, so syncing. Can't do that on an iPhone.

You're so cute too. Want to get lunch? :rolleyes:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sorry smarty, the cell phone patent expired years ago.

The only INNOVATION in this industry comes from Apple. All anyone else does is make "me too" products. Can't wait to see what the iPhone 5 has... so we know what we can expect HTC, Samsung and all the other "me too" companies to roll out 1-2 years later.

You mean everything the Android already has?!

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
You could also just not read them, not click on the forum thread and not post you know. :rolleyes:

If we go by what you are saying, we wouldn't have an iOS Blog tab either if people just didn't read them. Or there actually wouldn't even be folders in an operating system, just files everywhere and we would just scroll through hundreds of them to find one. It's called organizing. I've noticed most of your posts seem to be just because I don't think that way everyone else should too.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Why? I did this the other day using someone elses Ipad! If you have to use itunes then you have to have your mac/pc with you, or install itunues and register that PC with itunes in order to access your phone.

With the OTA market you can use any browser on any device anywhere.

Why wouldn't I just use the device. Or another device. What benefit is there me for going to a web site on someone's computer to purchase an app for my device? Who cares?

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

yg17 said:
You know you can do this on an iPhone to, since the App store opened. Nice try though. Fandroids are so cute sometimes

With Android, I can browse the App Marketplace on my computer, taking advantage of the nice, large screen, multiple browser tabs if I'm comparing multiple applications to see which one's the best, etc, click install, and a few seconds later, it's on my phone. No wires, so syncing. Can't do that on an iPhone.

Um, the iPhone does this too, kid. :confused:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

So basically iOS5, with a porous malware-ridden platform instead. Okay then....

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's new in iOS 5, right? Android's had this for quite some time. Another innovative feature from Apple.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
haha. Nah, i'm not mad. Pushing stuff to all devices isn't new either and i'm confident android didn't come up with it.

I'm not sure what browsing the Android store is like on the phone but on the iPhone its perfect so non issue there.

maybe its just me but being away from my phone, i never felt the need to download an app for later. I can't speak for everyone of course.

The web based Android Market is nice because you don't need iTunes if you want to browse and install from a computer. Now with iCloud Apple has a similar solution, however you still need iTunes and can't just open your browser and do it. I'd bet a web based App Store from Apple is in the works.

Until recently the big advantage that iOS had over Android was integration with your home computer. Now with web based solutions like the new Android Market and Google Music Beta Android has great integration with your home computer without installing any (or very little in the case of Google Music Beta) special software.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

No you can't. First, the App Store only has previews of apps up on the web, you can't make purchases unless you open the App Store app on the device or iTunes on a Windows or Mac computer.

Second, you will need to either have your device tethered to the Windows or Mac computer or use your device to buy apps for it.

The Android Market allows purchasing and installing of apps to any device you own from any web browser, on any device, whatsoever.

Then why don't you use another phone?

Because all phones are as tedious. Too small. Instead I use my MBA whenever I can and only rely on the phone in emergencies.

Plus now that I bought apps for my iOS phone, I'm stuck with an iOS phone unless I plan on losing all that money. :( If only my carrier had had decent Android choices when I bought my phone, maybe I'd be on Android instead.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
I'm leaving this forum now...

'Cause it's getting very bored...

Just let Apple do what they do, let Android do what they do, let everyone else do what they do...
Leave it to the lawyers to say what who did what wrong.

And try not to copy from each-other :p

CU guys

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
"Apple has all the right to protect its work".

HTC sues....."lalalalalalalala no HTC doesn't have any right to protect their work I don't believe they even have any I think they should just lie down and take it by Apple.....blah blah".

Just summed up the Apple die-hards for you folks.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
So basically iOS5, with a porous malware-ridden platform instead. Okay then....

Like all malware... blame the user not the system.

iOS5 BTW isn't released to the Public this feature has been with Android for a long time. Looks like another "me too" as you Apple die-hards would say moment for Apple (like the notification pull down.)

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Android market is available on any device with a web browser and what you do on it can push to any device that might or might not be with you. I can be on my Mac in a coffee shop and see an app I want for my Xoom tablet that's back home and buy it and have it installed on my tablet at home without ever having to touch the tablet itself. When I get home, the app will be sitting there as if it had always been there in the first place.

You can't do that with the App store. You either need to tether and sync the phone with the device that accesses the store or access the store directly from the device.

OR buy it on my iPhone and it will be installed on my iPad when I get home. I cloud for apps has been working for a while, including automatic downloads.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i just looked up OFDM on wikipedia and i'm sure that apple will beat this one with prior art. along with the other patents that HTC is using to sue them

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Patents aren't much of a concern

Nothing in these patents will cause an alarm to go off at Apple. Two of the three are from former ADC Telecommunications Inc., now Tyco Electronics Connectivity.

Read the patents and stop talking about the patent system being flawed. HTC really needs better patent review lawyers. Apple has patents covering these for both the Mac and iOS devices.

Tyco offloaded these two patents. If there is any company that will want payment for violations of their IP it's Tyco/ADC.

The last one: Circuit and operating method for integrated interface of PDA and wireless communication system really is nothing new and another area Apple has several patents on.

HTC really is showing a weak hand.

I wonder where CMaier has gone off to of late. Most likely he's busy with filing patents for clients, research, or both. He'd have a much broader explanation of how these are not a threat to not just Apple but to every other smart phone maker on the planet.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

You mean it gets pushed to the phone? As far as I can tell I still have to go threw the App store App on iOS to get it downloaded.
Compare that to Android it gets pushed to the phone if I buy it from the web. No extra worked required at all.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

yg17 said:

That's new in iOS 5, right? Android's had this for quite some time. Another innovative feature from Apple.

Question: why are you here besides to troll? I never said it was innovative, and I honestly don't care if Android had it first. If you really think it's THAT important to scream "I'm #1!", then woop-de-doo. :rolleyes:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If we go by what you are saying, we wouldn't have an iOS Blog tab either if people just didn't read them.

By your logic, Macrumors should have the following tabs :

- iPhone rumors
- Adobe news
- Android news
- Mac device spottings
- Mac device announcements
- Mac device reviews
- iOS device spottings/parts
- iOS device announcements
- iOS device reviews
- Steve Jobs' health
- Steve Jobs related news.
- Apple financial news
- Apple lawsuit news
- iCloud and or Cloud related stuff (something I would gladly ignore)
- iTunes news
- Music Industry news

The tab list would be endless. Front Page, Mac Blog and iOS blog are good enough. Not everything is going to interest everyone and ignoring the stories that don't interest you is a perfectly acceptable solution. The multitude of tabs for every category imaginable is clearly not.

Or there actually wouldn't even be folders in an operating system, just files everywhere and we would just scroll through hundreds of them to find one.

Hum, are you comparing news headlines to organizing data ? I like all my useful data organized. Headlines I can skim over.

OR buy it on my iPhone and it will be installed on my iPad when I get home. I cloud for apps has been working for a while, including automatic downloads.

What is this iCloud thing you're talking about ?

Question: why are you here besides to troll? I never said it was innovative, and I honestly don't care if Android had it first. If you really think it's THAT important to scream "I'm #1!", then woop-de-doo. :rolleyes:

He should ? That's what Apple does after all when they do come up with something new and innovative. :rolleyes:

And then they cry when it gets copied.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Awhile? A few months at most.

I don't have or use android devices - but from what I understand - they've had similar/better OTA apps/updates pretty much since launch

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

Rodimus Prime said:

You mean it gets pushed to the phone? As far as I can tell I still have to go threw the App store App on iOS to get it downloaded.
Compare that to Android it gets pushed to the phone if I buy it from the web. No extra worked required at all.

Yeah, it's been doing this for awhile now.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Yeah, it's been doing this for awhile now.

Another "awhile" ?

If Apple's been doing it "awhile" then Android has been doing it "forever"

If we're getting all hyperbole on it

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
No you can't. First, the App Store only has previews of apps up on the web, you can't make purchases unless you open the App Store app on the device or iTunes on a Windows or Mac computer.

Second, you will need to either have your device tethered to the Windows or Mac computer or use your device to buy apps for it.

The Android Market allows purchasing and installing of apps to any device you own from any web browser, on any device, whatsoever.

Because all phones are as tedious. Too small. Instead I use my MBA whenever I can and only rely on the phone in emergencies.

Plus now that I bought apps for my iOS phone, I'm stuck with an iOS phone unless I plan on losing all that money. :( If only my carrier had had decent Android choices when I bought my phone, maybe I'd be on Android instead.

Your iOS knowledge is dated. I can buy an app in iTunes and whe I pick up any of my devices it will be there. No syncing. I can buy an app on my iPhone and it ison my iPad. I can buy an app on my iPad it is on m iPhone. No wires. No syncing. iTunes is only required if I want to buy the App on my desktop.

This is not an iOS5 feature. It started about 6 weeks ago when cloud was announced.

On a largely unrelated note, the kindle has supported precisely what the android market does since the day it was released.
Your claim sounds a bit like one of the absurd in a web browser patents.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I hang out here because I own a Macbook Air that I like and an iPhone also. I dabble in XCode and Mac/iOS programming and love reading about new Apple products.

It doesn't mean that I don't realise that Apple are sometimes hypocrites, that they are also guilty of copying other features from other vendors and that they cross the line in some of their agreements and are litigious beyond reason.

I'm an Apple user, not an Apple devotee. I don't have to love or like 100% of what they do to like some of it and have my place on a forum dedicated to their products.

From what I hear Apple is happy to license from others, rather than going around crying about it. It's a shame SOME companies can't bring themselves to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.