Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Well I've been adding places that have NFC terminals, that have it off, so today I went by an Old Navy and they had the addons, but zero lights were lit on it so it was off, but I've heard that GAP is in the same situation and they are both MCX so no surprises there. Also Dick's Sporting Goods has MX915 terminals, so Apple Pay/Google Wallet may work there, but no reason to try when most MCX members have already turned it off, but if someones willing to try, then post your results here.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I see some Meijer and a Kroger( I'm surprised as most have it off) and many others in Dayton that is on the paypass locator: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38348368/krogerpaypasslocator.png Looks like plenty of merchants to go around in your city and you can find more here: http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html put your zip there. As long as your Apple Pay is Mastercard or Visa then the small business should work, but amex probably isn't accepted at them.
Also loop pay is cool, but with emv coming I hesitate from buying one, plus it would be better in a case for my phone, but no case for my phone, and the fob looks awkward to use.

Your MasterCard link is very neat. I found a couple of places in my one horse town that I wasn't aware of.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Your MasterCard link is very neat. I found a couple of places in my one horse town that I wasn't aware of.
Your welcome, so that is how I find the ma and pa locations, many which have been in rural towns, and sometimes they fall off but the places still have the Contactless terminals and no one used it so they fall off. So don't get discouraged if they fall off the Paypass locator. :)

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Almost Got Divorced Today after 44 Years!

I had my "almost" first AP experience today. We were at Dorothy Lane Market in Centerville Ohio. At register and while clerk was still ringing up groceries, I held iPhone up to terminal. Phone was off and nothing happened. I then turned phone on to Homescreen and my credit card pic came up and said "Pay with Apple Pay" and showed the Touch ID emblem. I asked my wife, first mistake, if I could use it when ready to pay. But, she said no. She had already written the check. So, I left a little ticked with one cart to the car to unload it while she finished up second card and paid. When done, her and my son were still not out. I was a little upset over not being able to use AP and not sure what was taking so long. Went back in and met them coming out. She looked weird and sheepish at me and said the register would not read the check. It took several minutes to get it to accept the check. I just laughed and said, serves you right. Anyway, one place were we regularly go that I can use it. I assume if pic came up it would work. Not sure why it didn't come on while screen off. Thought it didn't matter. The young male cashier said they do take it. So, I will put on OP page list unless I should wait until I actually pay that way. Will try other Markets like Earthfare and see. None of them has advertised it or saw any AP on terminals. I know from reading they don't have to show it to work.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I had my "almost" first AP experience today. We were at Dorothy Lane Market in Centerville Ohio. At register and while clerk was still ringing up groceries, I held iPhone up to terminal. Phone was off and nothing happened. I then turned phone on to Homescreen and my credit card pic came up and said "Pay with Apple Pay" and showed the Touch ID emblem. I asked my wife, first mistake, if I could use it when ready to pay. But, she said no. She had already written the check. So, I left a little ticked with one cart to the car to unload it while she finished up second card and paid. When done, her and my son were still not out. I was a little upset over not being able to use AP and not sure what was taking so long. Went back in and met them coming out. She looked weird and sheepish at me and said the register would not read the check. It took several minutes to get it to accept the check. I just laughed and said, serves you right. Anyway, one place were we regularly go that I can use it. I assume if pic came up it would work. Not sure why it didn't come on while screen off. Thought it didn't matter. The young male cashier said they do take it. So, I will put on OP page list unless I should wait until I actually pay that way. Will try other Markets like Earthfare and see. None of them has advertised it or saw any AP on terminals. I know from reading they don't have to show it to work.
Patience young Jedi..
I think if you had held your phone close to the terminal for another 1/100 th of a second, your phone would have woken up. I've never had a terminal that accepted Apple Pay not wake my phone. It's a really cool experience imo.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Patience young Jedi..
I think if you had held your phone close to the terminal for another 1/100 th of a second, your phone would have woken up. I've never had a terminal that accepted Apple Pay not wake my phone. It's a really cool experience imo.

OK, I think I held it for about 3 seconds. But, wasn't expecting anything. This is good news though bc we shop there a lot--:)

Should have LoopPay FOB in 2 days to play with too--

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
OK, I think I held it for about 3 seconds. But, wasn't expecting anything. This is good news though bc we shop there a lot--:)

Checks really suck and they have too much information on the to be able to make fake checks, and anything is safer and faster than checks.
So you have to wait until they are done scanning in all the stuff because they have to press a button on the pos that is usually credit/debit to turn on the nfc antenna, then the iphone 6 the screen will light up when near the antenna. Even at Mcdonalds the cashier has to press the credit/debit button or it won't go through until they do. Dorothy Lane Market posted that they supported both Apple Pay and Google Wallet on Facebook months ago, so good add. :)

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Checks really suck and they have too much information on the to be able to make fake checks, and anything is safer and faster than checks.
So you have to wait until they are done scanning in all the stuff because they have to press a button on the pos that is usually credit/debit to turn on the nfc antenna, then the iphone 6 the screen will light up when near the antenna. Even at Mcdonalds the cashier has to press the credit/debit button or it won't go through until they do. Dorothy Lane Market posted that they supported both Apple Pay and Google Wallet on Facebook months ago, so good add. :)

OK cub, Yeah, will wait when really doing it, just playing today while groceries rang up. I am not much on social media, just Twitter with a few following/followers mainly from my XDA flashing days. Not on Facebook. We are getting some Fresh Thymes here so hope Earthfare and FreshThyme use it. Plan to manually use it on perishable purchases and no big tickets atm. That may change though.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Don't know how well the FOB works, but the LoopPay card works like a champ.

Of course, the FOB is only $10 right now (roughly $16 shipped) and that is a steal for what it can do!!!

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Don't know how well the FOB works, but the LoopPay card works like a champ.

Of course, the FOB is only $10 right now (roughly $16 shipped) and that is a steal for what it can do!!!

I'll soon find out. Will eventually move to AP as more merchants accept it. But, for 10.00 can't complain. I can't add thickness to my phone and I think the FOB may be cumbersome. Don't know till I carry it.

Haven't checked it out. But can you just carry the LoopPay card and leave case at home? :)

OK researched and saw you can order just card with reader and usb cable--:)

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'll soon find out. Will eventually move to AP as more merchants accept it. But, for 10.00 can't complain. I can't add thickness to my phone and I think the FOB may be cumbersome. Don't know till I carry it.

Haven't checked it out. But can you just carry the LoopPay card and leave case at home? :)

Yeah, the LoopPay card is completely stand alone. The case is literally just to hold the LoopPay card with the phone as one, but that case is way to thick and ugly for my tastes.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, the LoopPay card is completely stand alone. The case is literally just to hold the LoopPay card with the phone as one, but that case is way to thick and ugly for my tastes.

Agree on too thick and I like my silicon Apple case :)

I think the smaller the better. May like FOB more. At least for how I travel with keys etc.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Agree on too thick and I like my silicon Apple case :)

I think the smaller the better. May like FOB more. At least for how I travel with keys etc.

For $10, the FOB is the way to go. It was $30 when I bought my LoopPay card, so I could justify the extra $20. If I were to be buying today though, I would have bought the FOB! In fact, I just bought one for my wife. :p

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
For $10, the FOB is the way to go. It was $30 when I bought my LoopPay card, so I could justify the extra $20. If I were to be buying today though, I would have bought the FOB! In fact, I just bought one for my wife. :p

Yeah for 10 bucks it's a no-brainier. #

philipandrews

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2011
Richmond, VA
Was shopping at my local Kroger and they were replacing all of the current credit card terminals with the new Verifone MX-915 terminals. I wish I would have taken a picture. I asked one of the installers if they were going to be Apple Pay friendly but no one seemed to know. Hopefully they will be turning this feature on now.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Was shopping at my local Kroger and they were replacing all of the current credit card terminals with the new Verifone MX-915 terminals. I wish I would have taken a picture. I asked one of the installers if they were going to be Apple Pay friendly but no one seemed to know. Hopefully they will be turning this feature on now.

Someone mentioned that some Kroger's already have Apple pay. So I would assume yours will too with the new terminals. I do admit though I am not familiar with the those terminals.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
The MX915 comes with Contactless on by default so Apple Pay would probably work right after they were installed and they'd probably turn it off soon after(or leave it on), so if you wanted to try to use it, then now its the perfect time to try it at that store. http://www.eshcom.com/store/image?id=VFMX915 These MX915 are pretty common, but few have the nfc turned on, Good luck.

philipandrews

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2011
Richmond, VA
The MX915 comes with Contactless on by default so Apple Pay would probably work right after they were installed and they'd probably turn it off soon after(or leave it on), so if you wanted to try to use it, then now its the perfect time to try it at that store. http://www.eshcom.com/store/image?id=VFMX915 These MX915 are pretty common, but few have the nfc turned on, Good luck.

I have to go back tomorrow so I will definitely try it out.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
One of the Kroger stores here has had them for awhile and they've already been disabled - still, you might be able to get a transaction by until they're fully "functional"! :)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
One of the Kroger stores here has had them for awhile and they've already been disabled - still, you might be able to get a transaction by until they're fully "functional"! :)

They're disabled waiting on their merchant service to turn on Chip & PIN and NFC! If the store you go to uses Chase Paymentech, here lies why there is no NFC there yet. (chase at the moment only allows NFC and Chip card through their own stand alone terminals, not through a integrated POS system, they're working on it)

It's a multi layer issue getting your favorite store to accept Apple Pay.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
They're disabled waiting on their merchant service to turn on Chip & PIN and NFC! If the store you go to uses Chase Paymentech, here lies why there is no NFC there yet. (chase at the moment only allows NFC and Chip card through their own stand alone terminals, not through a integrated POS system, they're working on it)

It's a multi layer issue getting your favorite store to accept Apple Pay.
Well it seems to work out of the box and all their pos would see is a card swipe, although Apple Pay does require some extra configuration to work on the merchant services provider, unlike Google Wallet, which works at many places where Apple Pay still declines at. Here is the response I got when asking about contactless at a store owned by Kroger, although not a Kroger branded store "Today, we have just a few stores that have payment terminals that support contactless technology, but the majority of our stores do not have the ability to process Apple Pay or other contactless transactions. This is a new technology that we are evaluating. As we continue to work towards implementing chip payment card technology, that will provide more security for our customers when paying, new payment terminals will have this functionality and we will evaluate contactless payment options in the future. We greatly appreciate your thoughts on this service. Thank you." Well the local stores use mx870's so no contactless there, but they only have concrete plans to enable the emv chip slot, although they are aware that the new terminals will support contactless as well.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Got my LP FOB and set it up. Just one CC and Drivers Liscense put in for now.

Will start testing and try my Krogers.

One question: When holding on top of center of swipe slider, do you hold button down until it accepts or just one depression. Don't want to be to new on my first transaction. Seems per vids you hold it.

Do you guys put the FOB on your keychain with the lanyard or in your pocket alone. Is lanyard very secure on keychain. It feels strong. I use a key ring that you slide the keys onto.

OK, more than one question--:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.