Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Take any Windows or OS X user and plop them in front of a Linux machine and have them install a printer and network connection. Then, you might for the rare moment, have both sides agree on something . . . Linux sucks.

It doesn't really, but they'll struggle with it anyway. :D

Linux certainly brings with it a steep learning curve--at least for me anyway. But at the same time it is incredibly stable, especially running web services. I hardly ever have problems with my web server--until I try something without anticipating the consequences. Then I need help--or a day to look up all the terminal commands I have forgot. :eek:

KyleKlink

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Santa Maria, Ca
Linux certainly brings with it a steep learning curve--at least for me anyway. But at the same time it is incredibly stable, especially running web services. I hardly ever have problems with my web server--until I try something without anticipating the consequences. Then I need help--or a day to look up all the terminal commands I have forgot. :eek:

My Linux experience has been consistent every time I decide to give it a shot: you spend many hours getting everything installed and set up to your liking. Then, one day you go to restart the computer and it craps the bed. You're left with elements of the OS missing, programs screwed up beyond repair, and nothing wanting to work (this has been the case on both Linux Mint and Ubuntu). I'm guessing it has something to do with an update that the OS didn't like. Either way, linux is a pain in the back side.

As for Windows 7, I think it's a good OS. I don't much care for Windows forcing me to save files only in my libraries (try saving files in C:\Program Files). I get the whole security deal, and that's fine, but don't tell me where I want to save my files; I will make that call.

OS X obviously is a decent OS as well. I find it to be better than 7 in some areas, yet more annoying in others, such as Finder.

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
win xp is still the best microsoft can come out with.

os x is better than win xp , but i have scanner, games that really only support win xp and only win xp.

so basically i am stuck with it.

so i ran two system , os x and win xp.

no one can say i am wrong.

I have been helping my MIL set up her new Dell laptop which is running the new Windows 7. I havent really been familiar with windows since XP so its torture for me to try to work out the changes etc & set it in the best way possible for her. To be honest, i would have preferred to get her a macbook but it was too expensive for what she needed it for, to be able to have video conferences with her family.
My SIL's both have laptops running Vista & even from that there is so many differences in the 7!

I just think in most ways, mac is far easier to get the hang of & anything you dont, I can always go into an Apple store & ask!!!

Go APPLE!!:):p

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I have been helping my MIL set up her new Dell laptop which is running the new Windows 7. I havent really been familiar with windows since XP so its torture for me to try to work out the changes etc & set it in the best way possible for her. To be honest, i would have preferred to get her a macbook but it was too expensive for what she needed it for, to be able to have video conferences with her family.
My SIL's both have laptops running Vista & even from that there is so many differences in the 7!

I just think in most ways, mac is far easier to get the hang of & anything you dont, I can always go into an Apple store & ask!!!

And I'm reminded of an apostrophic catastrophe.

Plurals don't need apostrophes, even abbreviated ones like SILs. An apostrophe indicates a missing letter or more, like "do not" = "don't". And plurals indicate "more than one" in the end, so the is nothing missing.

Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't add anything to the superiority complex of Mac OS.

But in the end, it doesn't matter at all. It's the interwebs, kingdom of the ROFLs.

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
glad to see there are balanced people in the mac world... obviously i wouldnt be in this thread if i didnt think apple was doing at least some things right.

windows 7 is not JUST a polished over version of vista. It is definitely better. Sure they may have copied osx but that should be taken as a compliment.

When it comes down to it, bang for the buck, a PC will win hands down. The iMac strikes a new stance with apple though.

Sure it may still be fairly expensive from just a performance standpoint... but when you look at that gorgeous 27" 2560X1440 IPS Led baclight screen, you realize that something like that on its own is worth a huge chunk of change. Thats my main justifying point for switching over to the imac.

BTW i will definitely be installing windows 7 once i get it :cool:

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
And I'm reminded of an apostrophic catastrophe.

Plurals don't need apostrophes, even abbreviated ones like SILs. An apostrophe indicates a missing letter or more, like "do not" = "don't". And plurals indicate "more than one" in the end, so the is nothing missing.

Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't add anything to the superiority complex of Mac OS.

But in the end, it doesn't matter at all. It's the interwebs, kingdom of the ROFLs.

Your response really annoyed me. For all people can disagree with my post...YOU decide to correct my grammer.

GET A LIFE

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Your response really annoyed me. For all people can disagree with my post...YOU decide to correct my grammer.

GET A LIFE

It's the interwebs. There is no life here...

Sorry to have upset you, but it just got on my nerves, that you did use those apostrophes in such a manner.
There are a lot of threads here proclaiming the superiority of Mac OS X, so I didn't want to add to another dribbling incident.

I should have stayed away of course, but the thread title was too much to bear and I was caught in a moment of preaching as it seems.

Have a good week nonetheless.

Getting alive now.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Installed Windows 7 on my Hack, just to have a secondary stable and reliable operating system because I was trying to update to SL and correct some of the problems with the machine. It took me about 2 hours.

The hardest part was trying to find and learn new software that I needed, but didn't come with the machine. The worst part about using it is trying to find things in windows Explorer. The finder really does trump it. I need a fully visible file system, and well organized applications and utilities, thankyouverymuch. The best part about Win 7 is Google Chrome. Second best is it's snappy, stable, and pretty. I actually kinda like Win7. It WORKS, and is definitely non-suck.

I'll install it on my new iMac when it arrives, but I won't be using it as my primary OS, I don't think. Ubuntu will be forthcoming as well, in case I feel the need to fiddle with things constantly for them to work.

strang

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
I sense strong fanboyish in this thread.

Windows Vista SP2 was not bad. And yes, prior to SP2 there were a lot of problems.

Windows 7 is awesome. Make sure it's a clean installed copy and not some OEM bundle because manufacturer installed crapware is what kills Windows. Not Windows itself.

OS X's dock could use some work. There isn't much else I can complain about it.

Oh and... Native Blu-ray support. K thanks. But neither has native Blu-ray support, so OS X would be that superior if it rolled it out first.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Lol Linux is for Pros who need it, not regular OSX or Windows users...

The "regular" users of OSX also have a choice of learning a little bit of *ix if they'd like. Remember OSX is based of Unix. OSX can be pretty damn powerful in the right hands, much more than a Windows Box.
Windows = no *ix

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Actually 7 is a HUGE improvement over Vista, however what it is not much of an improvement over is XP (and yes, before someone says it, 7 does kick XP's butt in the "superficial eye candy" department).

in the visual part I like xp but in performance 7 kits xp's butt on the same computer. it made my dell a whole new machine it is far faster boots faster and the problems I had in xp are gone.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Well being a long time Mac and Windows user. The main difference between the systems is stability.

I have tweaked Windows 7 as much it can be tweaked. It is not as stable as OSX, nor will it ever be. Apple makes the hardware and the software. Compatibility is never a problem. With third party software, still not as much problems as Windows in any flavor.

Firefox in Windows 7 crashes more so than it ever did on OSX. As do various other programs. I unloaded all the crapware, optimized the startup programs. Still takes a over a minute to start up sometimes longer. Regardless. Programs still freeze.

OSX starts up in about 20 seconds for me. Programs hardly ever freeze. It just works.

Yes a PC is cheaper initially, but add a $80 dollar a year virus and spyware suite, a system maintenance software package at the minimum of $30 and you have a little over a hundred a year and over a five year ownership of the average user and you have a little over $500 in maintenance software and frustration.

So is it really cheaper? I don't think so.

With that being said, Windows 7 while not the best is on par with OSX in the ease of use department. OSX no longer enjoys a clear advantage anymore. Take out the registry errors, viruses, etc and it would compete very, very well. The GUI of Windows 7 is just as good as OSX. I like the Windows dock better than OSX. So Windows 7 has it's merits. Even with all it's faults, I like Windows 7 allot. That is why I use both. OSX isn't perfect either, finder is a pain the a**.

As long as you know what you are doing and keep your computer in sleep mode most of the time, Windows 7 is not bad at all. Startup still sucks. Other than that MS has a winner on their hands. I don't see why most on here can't enjoy both.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
so far I have not had win 7 crash. I have locked up apps in osx though not a lot. when you think about it if windows was designed to only run on 20 different computers it would be so stable. we love to knock windows but think of the bugs in osx and it only has a few different computers to run on compared to windows.

Aug 26, 2008
Well being a long time Mac and Windows user. The main difference between the systems is stability.

I have tweaked Windows 7 as much it can be tweaked. It is not as stable as OSX, nor will it ever be. Apple makes the hardware and the software. Compatibility is never a problem. With third party software, still not as much problems as Windows in any flavor.

Firefox in Windows 7 crashes more so than it ever did on OSX. As do various other programs. I unloaded all the crapware, optimized the startup programs. Still takes a over a minute to start up sometimes longer. Regardless. Programs still freeze.

OSX starts up in about 20 seconds for me. Programs hardly ever freeze. It just works.

Yes a PC is cheaper initially, but add a $80 dollar a year virus and spyware suite, a system maintenance software package at the minimum of $30 and you have a little over a hundred a year and over a five year ownership of the average user and you have a little over $500 in maintenance software and frustration.

So is it really cheaper? I don't think so.

With that being said, Windows 7 while not the best is on par with OSX in the ease of use department. OSX no longer enjoys a clear advantage anymore. Take out the registry errors, viruses, etc and it would compete very, very well. The GUI of Windows 7 is just as good as OSX. I like the Windows dock better than OSX. So Windows 7 has it's merits. Even with all it's faults, I like Windows 7 allot. That is why I use both. OSX isn't perfect either, finder is a pain the a**.

As long as you know what you are doing and keep your computer in sleep mode most of the time, Windows 7 is not bad at all. Startup still sucks. Other than that MS has a winner on their hands. I don't see why most on here can't enjoy both.

I really don't understand posts like this.l With MSE and the built in firewall, you really don't need to spend money on any anti virus/maleware software. Furthermore, stop visiting THOSE sites, and you'll be fine. Win7 does not have "registry errors", or viruses as long as you aren't doing anything really really stupid.

If your fresh Win7 install has that many problems, you're doing something wrong. I've installed it many times and every time it's been flawless. I've never really seen Win7 crash. Of course I haven't seen OSX crash in years either. Both work, and both have their strong and weak points. But I would say Winodws weak points are not at all what you list unless you're a pretty hapless user (no offense intended, but how else to explain it?).

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
ok to come to the rescue of the pc and windows ,
you have to admit you wont get anything with a :apple: on it in a apple store for that price
and the world is full of people who would like to have a mac but simply are not in a finacial position to afford one ,as even the basic mac mini cost £499 and the apple 24" monitor cost £ 635 so together more then double the price

there are people out there who are not financially fortunate enough to buy a new mac , but they want something new and not a used computer

I agree that macs are out of many's price range however at the same time the arguement of listing the 24" screen is a bit ridiculous as the mini is marketed as a "switcher" for people that already have mice/keyboards/monitors. The 24" monitor is marketed more towards pros/prosumers (regardless of discussion of glossy vs matte)

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
wow the fanboyism is strong in this thread. I seriously dont understand how someone can have THAT many problems with their windows machine. Sure it can have its occasional hiccups and whatnot but the way some of you make it sound, its like the machine constantly sits their with error messages popping up randomly.

Ive been using windows based machines my entire life and though they arent perfect, they sure arent as horrible as some people make it out to be.

i switched now for mac buying an imac 27 and like the new os. however i've been using xp for years and now windows 7 and i just don't have problems with windows. it's a very good operating system, just not pretty like os. each os has its pros and cons. so i use both, i can't stand messenger in os so i have to use windows live messenger with virtual machine since i need win all the time for playing magic the gathering online. (only available for windows=()

sentros

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Finland
i can't stand messenger in os so i have to use windows live messenger with virtual machine

You know there are other programs available that you can use to connect to the msn network. Adium for example :)

And what comes to the Win 7 messenger I really hate it. It's an example how well microsoft software work with each other. If you try and use the features that come with win 7 dock with messenger it doesn't follow any logic. If you right click on the messenger dock icon and set yourself as being away, it starts a new messenger program and sets that as away, thus logging the first messenger window out and rendering it completely useless. :mad:

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Puh-lease. Thats a crock.

Try using it mate. Its a very nice improvement. Prior to windows 7 the vista jokes were fun, sadly the release of win 7 was far better then SL. Right now Win fanbois have everyright to pick on SL as Apples answer to vista, damn buggy at release, hoping by 10.6.3 I will have a reason to upgrade to SL.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I really don't understand posts like this.l With MSE and the built in firewall, you really don't need to spend money on any anti virus/maleware software. Furthermore, stop visiting THOSE sites, and you'll be fine. Win7 does not have "registry errors", or viruses as long as you aren't doing anything really really stupid.

If your fresh Win7 install has that many problems, you're doing something wrong. I've installed it many times and every time it's been flawless. I've never really seen Win7 crash. Of course I haven't seen OSX crash in years either. Both work, and both have their strong and weak points. But I would say Winodws weak points are not at all what you list unless you're a pretty hapless user (no offense intended, but how else to explain it?).

You assume allot. First off try re-reading my post. Get your head out of the gutter and stop visiting those sites yourself. I am a business professional. I know a thing or too about computers, I have my own IT staff. Never did I say I have problems with viruses or mal-ware. For the average user those problems exist.

So the thousands and millions of people that contract viruses are all stupid because they cannot secure their OS. So what does that say about the OS?

To date not one virus has infected OSX on a grand scale, not one. How is that not more secure?

And Windows 7 or any version of Windows is not as stable as OSX, especially for the average user, end of story. Apple makes the software and hardware, PC's you do not have that luxury. Stop believing in fairy tales.

Any OS that can contract a virus and infect a IT infrastructure now matter how many precautions you take there is a risk, versus a OS that cannot contract a virus on a large scale nor infect your IT infrastructure.

Its that simple. Not rocket science.

But I would say Winodws weak points are not at all what you list unless you're a pretty hapless user (no offense intended, but how else to explain it?).[/QUOTE]

Nor did I say I installed Windows 7. Properly or improperly. Where in my post did I state I installed Windows 7? Or where did I state I contracted a virus?

What post were you reading?

Hapless user? If I buy a computer with registry errors that cause my computer to fail how is that my fault? Also the start up time is my fault also out of the box when the OS in installed by the factory? Another problem I had to fix.

Yes Windows 7 has Registry errors when your brand new shipped from the factory laptop comes with them. Over 1000. By your logic I guess I did the stupid thing and bought it in the first place. Stupid me. Your smart and everyone else is stupid. I get it now. Sorry.

Lucky for me I know how to fix them. If this happened to your average user, where would they be? Probable shipping their laptop back or on the phone with tech support for a hour or two.

With the average user using OSX they don't have registry errors, viruses, to take care of. Nor do they have to be computer engineers either. Everything just works.

Get it now? My whole post flew right over your head.

You missed my whole point entirely. For the average user which is 95% of Windows users they will have viruses, registry errors,
Windows will always have more headache and more frustration for the average user.

And yes your average user needs a anti-virus suite and malware, and registry optimizers. OSX users do not.

I have MSE with a built in firewall already. Thanks for the tip though.

And no I don't visit those sites. Nor do I have virus problems, or mal-ware problems. Nor did I state as much. Try comprehending before you speak next time. And save yourself the embarrassment. ;)

kotasflame

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009

Ok look i have no Opinions on windows 7 because i havent seen or used it but point 1: vista isn’t junk/crap/garbage/ect : point 2: Mac’s aren’t bad but I’ve been using a pc sense I was like 8 I’ve never had a problem with them (FYI I’m only 14), there not hard to us at all (again I’m only 14 if I can do it an you cant u really must be a complete tard!) ok the only way u could make using a pc on vista hard is if u blind fold yourself an hit yourself in the head w/ a metal bat 5-6 times, I’ve helped make/install/an set up a pc its easy as ****! Every one I no uses pc's school's/family/friends no uses Mac except my cousin who has to because his work issued it to him, I went on it a couple of times its not junk I’m not here to say that it is all I’m saying is its a pain in the ass when u find a lot of my online MMORPG games add-ons wont work because they don’t have a Mac version! So if u really think that its sooooo hard to work with/install/or make a pc plz contact me at kotasflame@yahoo.com so me the 14 year old kid can help u the adult fix ur big bad PC =P HAHA

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i've been playing with Tiger for a few days and already see instances where Windows 7 is a lot better. waiting for leopard to upgrade my G4 Mini that i got for free.

one thing in WIndows i click an X to close out a program. In Tiger it's still in the dock and i have to move my mouse down to it, right click and say quit

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
A lot of people don't like how in Mac OSX that clicking the red X does not quit the app. It is good in some cases though because if you have 2 windows open in Safari when you go Apple-W or hit the red X it only closes that window. If you want to close the whole app its very easy to just go Apple Q...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.