Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
To all the Windows users who can't get over the red dot not quitting the app:

STOP USING YOUR MOUSE FOR EVERYTHING. You will be FAR FAR more productive if you use a Mac the way it was intended to be used - one hand on the keyboard, one hand on the mouse. When you want to quit a program, command-q. When you want to close a window but keep the program running, hit command-w. So on and so forth.

Now, go be happy already.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
STOP USING YOUR MOUSE FOR EVERYTHING. You will be FAR FAR more productive if you use a Mac the way it was intended to be used - one hand on the keyboard, one hand on the mouse. When you want to quit a program, command-q. When you want to close a window but keep the program running, hit command-w. So on and so forth.

Why is that good? I probably spend more than 90% of the time at a computer using one arm for the mouse and the other arm leaning on an armrest, propping my head, or just leaning back in the chair far away from the keyboard. Its a pain having to use both hands all the time, you can never just relax and casually use the computer.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
For casual use, you can absolutely use the mouse for everything. For real productivity, you need two hands. It really depends on what your usage needs are. Do you need to be PRODUCTIVE? or do you just want to read the news?

Aug 26, 2008
Why is that good? I probably spend more than 90% of the time at a computer using one arm for the mouse and the other arm leaning on an armrest, propping my head, or just leaning back in the chair far away from the keyboard. Its a pain having to use both hands all the time, you can never just relax and casually use the computer.

Wow...this really conjures up images of extreme laziness. Not trying to be mean here but...

You need your other arm to prop up your head? Or resting? Or you need to lean back as far as you can? You just want to have one hand in use while the rest of your body slumps?

Here is a tip. Sit up straight. Use your left arm rest to rest your arm on, so your hand can comfortably relax on the keyboard. OSX is very fast if you use the EASY keyboard shortcuts. I can't imagine why being slothful while on your PC should be a goal in any way, shape or form.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008

I've never understood this. Wouldnt it be more intuitive to have a button on your screen that does something instead of memorizing the key-combo for everything?
MY mother recently started using osx and its tough to explain to someone who has been using Quit (X on windows) buttons for years that there is no Quit button on osx, you have to either go through the menu at the top (pain if your window is at the bottom of the screen), right click>Quit in the dock icon, or use your other hand to hit Cmd+Q.

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
You had a problem with Windows because you don't know how to use it. The same with me when after years of using Windows I tried to use Mac OS. It was terrible! I couldn't find anything, strange and awkward keyboard shortcuts etc. now it's ok. Imho Windows 7 is great too. Both systems just need getting used to and when you're used to only one you've got serious problems with the other.

That's true!

I still don't understand people for saying stuff like that this thread is about.
If someone is not used to windows, for sure he/she will run into trouble and problems - you can't blame Windows for that. :rolleyes:

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I've never understood this. Wouldnt it be more intuitive to have a button on your screen that does something instead of memorizing the key-combo for everything?
MY mother recently started using osx and its tough to explain to someone who has been using Quit (X on windows) buttons for years that there is no Quit button on osx, you have to either go through the menu at the top (pain if your window is at the bottom of the screen), right click>Quit in the dock icon, or use your other hand to hit Cmd+Q.

1. Hitting cmd-q takes less time than finding the "X" to "quit" the program.

2. Hitting cmd-q will NEARLY ALWAYS quit (COMPLETELY) any given program on a mac. Sometimes on a PC you have to close a dozen windows to quit the program.

3. Closing the window by hitting "X" on a PC doesn't always quit the program, even if all the windows are gone. Try looking at your Task Manager sometime. I can think of at least a half-dozen programs that I use on regular basis that I can't actually quit by closing the program. Instead, I have to go into the task manager to force the application to quit.

I ask you, truly, which is ACTUALLY easier? Memorizing cmd-q is simple and intuitive. The keyboard commands translate across the board on a Mac. And let's not forget, you can always pull down the file menu (from where you KNOW it is going to be) and select "quit", all while holding a cup of coffee in your other hand.

tooz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
I had 3 bluescreens in the space of 1/2 an hour yesterday - and they say 7 is 'stable'.
Couldn't wait to get back on my macbook

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
I had 3 bluescreens in the space of 1/2 an hour yesterday - and they say 7 is 'stable'.

Wow. And I've had no bluescreens in the months I've been using the Windows 7 Public Beta or Final Release. What a pair we are! :rolleyes:

sfmountainbiker

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
its tough to explain to someone who has been using Quit (X on windows) buttons for years that there is no Quit button on osx, you have to either go through the menu at the top (pain if your window is at the bottom of the screen), right click>Quit in the dock icon, or use your other hand to hit Cmd+Q.

Seems to me like you did a good job explaining the many other options right here. ;)

It drives me nuts when I'm working with someone and they only use the mouse on their computer. It's like watching someone try to pedal a bicycle with one foot. :smack:

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Wow...this really conjures up images of extreme laziness. Not trying to be mean here but...

You need your other arm to prop up your head? Or resting? Or you need to lean back as far as you can? You just want to have one hand in use while the rest of your body slumps?

Here is a tip. Sit up straight. Use your left arm rest to rest your arm on, so your hand can comfortably relax on the keyboard. OSX is very fast if you use the EASY keyboard shortcuts. I can't imagine why being slothful while on your PC should be a goal in any way, shape or form.

That has to be the worst argument ever. Is it also lazy to lay on a couch when watching TV? Or is the proper way to watch TV sitting upright in a stool? Computers are for more than just typing, theyre also for reading, watching videos, and many other things that would normally be done on a couch or bed.

It is. Just because something supposedly happens to you doesnt mean it happens to everyone. Do you think OS X doesnt crash a lot for some people? Go look at Apple's support forum.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Had a few bluescreens with Win7, mostly related to insufficient power on wake from sleep, I believe.

Computers are tools with a great many applications. But when it comes to relaxing and sitting on my butt, I prefer my PS3 to EITHER of my OSes.

I second the "pedaling with one foot" comment.

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
1. Hitting cmd-q takes less time than finding the "X" to "quit" the program.

2. Hitting cmd-q will NEARLY ALWAYS quit (COMPLETELY) any given program on a mac. Sometimes on a PC you have to close a dozen windows to quit the program.

3. Closing the window by hitting "X" on a PC doesn't always quit the program, even if all the windows are gone. Try looking at your Task Manager sometime. I can think of at least a half-dozen programs that I use on regular basis that I can't actually quit by closing the program. Instead, I have to go into the task manager to force the application to quit.

I ask you, truly, which is ACTUALLY easier? Memorizing cmd-q is simple and intuitive. The keyboard commands translate across the board on a Mac. And let's not forget, you can always pull down the file menu (from where you KNOW it is going to be) and select "quit", all while holding a cup of coffee in your other hand.

Alt+F4 closes the window on windows.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002

I usually have to explain the philosophy behind it first, which then gives people a better idea.

In Mac, an application can have 0-n documents opened, each document represented by a window. This is why most apps do not quit when the windows are closed. There are exceptions to the rule, like Calculator. It doesn't ever need multiple windows, so closing it quits the app.

In Windows, each window is the application itself. Open a new window in IE or FF instead of a new tab and then check the running processes. It's a new app running which, to me, is very silly. There are apps that "fake" multiple windows by allow multiple windows to be spawned inside a parent window, but they can never intermingle with the rest of the screen.

I obviously think the Mac way makes sense, but I don't fault anyone for liking the Windows way. It's just different design philosophies.

SolarYoda

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
I have been helping my MIL set up her new Dell laptop which is running the new Windows 7. I havent really been familiar with windows since XP so its torture for me to try to work out the changes etc & set it in the best way possible for her. To be honest, i would have preferred to get her a macbook but it was too expensive for what she needed it for, to be able to have video conferences with her family.
My SIL's both have laptops running Vista & even from that there is so many differences in the 7!

I just think in most ways, mac is far easier to get the hang of & anything you dont, I can always go into an Apple store & ask!!!

Go APPLE!!:):p

I think Macs are great for people who have never used computers before, but the Windows operating system is MUCH MUCH more fully featured than the Mac OS X, which feels like it was designed FOR and BY children.
- a lifelong PC user who used Mac for 1 year and switched back to PC

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I think Macs are great for people who have never used computers before, but the Windows operating system is MUCH MUCH more fully featured than the Mac OS X, which feels like it was designed FOR and BY children.
- a lifelong PC user who used Mac for 1 year and switched back to PC

Hello 2009 ;)

Both Windows and OS X have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither were designed by children and in fact, it is mostly adults who use both.

Poor attempt to troll by the way.

Last edited:

SolarYoda

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
Hello 2009 ;)

Both Windows and OS X have their strengths and weaknesses. Nether were designed by children and in fact, it is mostly adults who use both.

Poor attempt to troll by the way.

Not trying to troll, honestly. I was open to Mac OS X being better but found this not to be the case after a solid year working on a MacBook Pro. I love PCs for the keyboard and Win 8 but I love Macs for the hardware. As I'm a pragmatic user, the non-superficial elements means PCs win for me and I will never use Mac again.

Oh, yes, I just realised this thread is over 3 years old. Linked in from Google. :D

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Not trying to troll, honestly. I was open to Mac OS X being better but found this not to be the case after a solid year working on a MacBook Pro. I love PCs for the keyboard and Win 8 but I love Macs for the hardware. As I'm a pragmatic user, the non-superficial elements means PCs win for me and I will never use Mac again.

Oh, yes, I just realised this thread is over 3 years old. Linked in from Google. :D

If you would have approached the comment more open like this reply, I may not have assumed you were trolling. I work on Windows all day. It's perfect in my business environment and couldn't see it any other way.

When I get home, I am happy to get on my Mac, which also has Windows and servers both purposes for my various needs.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
The only reason why Windows is still selling strong is because:
1. Most software are made for Windows. But the tables are going to be turned soon, since quite a lot are already on the OS X platform already.
2. Most games are made for Windows. The only reason I have Windows running in Boot Camp is just for Battlefield 4 and NFS.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
The only reason why Windows is still selling strong is because:
1. Most software are made for Windows. But the tables are going to be turned soon, since quite a lot are already on the OS X platform already.
2. Most games are made for Windows. The only reason I have Windows running in Boot Camp is just for Battlefield 4 and NFS.

uhmm * cough * ahemm.... Enterprise solutions... Hello Apple ?

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I know that.

At least some stuff like AutoCAD are already on the Mac.

No you misunderstood.

Microsoft Servers / Enterprise edition , Active directories etc...

Apple has surprisingly little enterprise experience in the company despite its mobile device dominance in the workplace.

The enterprise market, and the business world at large have always tended to embrace technologies that have transparency in repair, port selection, upgrade path, and support options, to name a few. Apple represents the epitome of everything opposite what corporate IT looks for...

Most large businesses today rely deeply on active directory to provide basic security and organizational needs surrounding deployed technologies, and Apple's efforts to help OS X-based products to fit into this mold is pathetic at best. Face value support for Active Directory does little to cater to this basic need this day in age.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
No you misunderstood.

Microsoft Servers / Enterprise edition , Active directories etc...

Apple has surprisingly little enterprise experience in the company despite its mobile device dominance in the workplace.

The enterprise market, and the business world at large have always tended to embrace technologies that have transparency in repair, port selection, upgrade path, and support options, to name a few. Apple represents the epitome of everything opposite what corporate IT looks for...

Most large businesses today rely deeply on active directory to provide basic security and organizational needs surrounding deployed technologies, and Apple's efforts to help OS X-based products to fit into this mold is pathetic at best. Face value support for Active Directory does little to cater to this basic need this day in age.

Oh yes. I can understand that, I've heard my dad complaining about Apple's lack of effort in trying to come up with a proper enterprise solution.

But then, Apple targets consumers, not businesses. But I think Apple should try to focus on the enterprise sector for a change.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Been using Mac since System 7 and Windows since 3.1 with that said Window's to me was pretty bad until XP then things got MUCH better. Win 7 / 8 and now 8.1 have been excellent and very very fast. I am currently using a Win 8.1 on my AutoCAD box and use a Mini for the rest of my business even though Win 8.1 handles mail much better than Mac Mail on Mavericks currently does, I just enjoy the OSX UI much more.

Regards......Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.