Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
Of course there is an excuse, he needs to sign people up to his website.

I have only replied to threads here already started and usually to respond to the trolls.

Of course I want people to post about their bent phones, but I am not asking anyone here to do that. The more posted the more of an argument people have to take to the store when apple refuse to help them.

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
If my iPhone 6 bends it will be my fault, I will go to the Apple store and buy a new iPhone 6.

I once sat on a pair of sunglasses. I went to the Ray-Ban store and bought a new pair of sunglasses.

I once had a dream that a bunch of poor people stopped telling a bunch of rich people how they should spend their fun money.

BJ

Did you get my money ready? PayPal is fine.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In the same way you're dismissing the opinion who have bent phones based on nothing but normal usage?

I'm sorry. It's a phone. I'm not going to treat it in any special manner. I'll treat it as a have treated all the phones I've gotten. I'm not going to suddenly change the way I treat my phone simply because you think I should. As I've said. It's a phone. It's not a tablet. It's a phone. A portable device. And it seems some people are having issues treating this portable device as.....a portable device.

As I've already said. Agree to disagree. You carry on babying your phone and treating it like it's some special object. I'll keep on treating my phone as if it were a phone. So you do as you suggested, believe what you want to believe. And I'll do the same.

I'm dismissing the bent phones because tests show it takes far more force than would ever be possible in a normal situation to bend. That's called scientific evidence (something that is repeatable and verifiable). What you have is heresay....on the internet no less.

You can continue to make all the assumptions you want about me. I spent (or will spend) nearly $1,000 on my 6+ and I intend to take care of it. That doesn't mean babying it any more or less than I have any other expensive piece of technology I own.

I carry it in my pockets when I'm walking and sometimes when I'm sitting. Though when I'm stationary, the phone goes on its mount in my car or on my desk at work/home.

If you want to call that "babying", fine. I call it taking care of my expensive and nearly irreplaceable technology.

You are correct - it is a phone. But it is also quite large. There's the smartphone, there's the tablet - and then there's the phablet. A growing category of devices with displays large enough that they warrant a little different handling.

Like I've said, my experience and use case have changed with the larger display. That's why I bought it. Larger display = more content. But there are also trade offs (tougher to use one handed, doesn't fit in my pocket the same way) - and these tradeoffs were readily apparent to me before I bought the device.

I weighed the options, and decided it was worth it.

You want to sit there and tell me I'm being unreasonable and babying my device for making a logical purchasing decision knowing full well how this device was different from previous ones I've owned (my 5S looks TINY)....so be it.

----------

We'll see about that. What if it bends while you're taking extremely good care of it? Are we not supposed to use these things or are we supposed to leave them at home so they don't get bent during LIFE.

This past weekend, I climbed a mountain with my fiancé, and I actually thought about leaving my iPhone in my car, but I was like "No! I'm not going to miss out on the opportunity to take photos and videos. I shouldn't have to be afraid that it's going to get damaged by carrying it in my pocket."

My point is, phones are meant to be portable, and they shouldn't get damaged from simply having them in a pocket (with nothing else in there but the phone).

If you sat on a pair of sunglasses, then yes, YOU damaged them, but I'm not SITTING on my iPhone. It's just IN MY POCKET where MOBILE PHONES GO.

I have the iPhone 6 by the way, so it's not too big.

Then you shouldn't buy such a large phone.

See we've been told larger screens are only good - they have no tradeoffs and should be the exact same as a smaller display device.

Except that isn't true. A larger phone won't fit in the same sized pocket the same way. And if you are climbing a mountain and moving your legs in a way that would put pressure on your pockets, a 5.5" device will feel and react differently than a 4" device will.

That's just the way it is.

Pros and cons. Its up to the consumer to understand and decide.

Similarly, if we want Apple to make it so the 6+ doesn't bend at all. What would that look like? Different materials? Thicker? Bulkier? If it were thick enough to not bend, would that make it too thick to fit in one's pocket?

People don't think. This isn't a black and white area. There are ALWAYS concessions. ALWAYS trade offs. Your goal as the consumer and owner of said devices is to have all the facts and understand the differences and options and base your decision on them.

Perhaps I'm just being too logical for some here.....but this is how I decide things. Especially when I'm about to drop $1000 on a piece of technology I will use constantly, daily.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
----------

Similarly, if we want Apple to make it so the 6+ doesn't bend at all. What would that look like? Different materials? Thicker? Bulkier? If it were thick enough to not bend, would that make it too thick to fit in one's pocket?

In my opinion they could have made it the same thickness as the camera, put in an even bigger battery and also put the steel/titanium supports inside running the entire length of the phone, not with gaps in between them in the places it seems to bend. There are loads of 5.5 and above devices on the market and most are plenty thin enough, apples aluminium choice though perhaps requires a better internal support frame.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I'm dismissing the bent phones because tests show it takes far more force than would ever be possible in a normal situation to bend. That's called scientific evidence (something that is repeatable and verifiable). What you have is heresay....on the internet no less.

You can continue to make all the assumptions you want about me. I spent (or will spend) nearly $1,000 on my 6+ and I intend to take care of it. That doesn't mean babying it any more or less than I have any other expensive piece of technology I own.

I carry it in my pockets when I'm walking and sometimes when I'm sitting. Though when I'm stationary, the phone goes on its mount in my car or on my desk at work/home.

If you want to call that "babying", fine. I call it taking care of my expensive and nearly irreplaceable technology.

You are correct - it is a phone. But it is also quite large. There's the smartphone, there's the tablet - and then there's the phablet. A growing category of devices with displays large enough that they warrant a little different handling.

Like I've said, my experience and use case have changed with the larger display. That's why I bought it. Larger display = more content. But there are also trade offs (tougher to use one handed, doesn't fit in my pocket the same way) - and these tradeoffs were readily apparent to me before I bought the device.

You want to sit there and tell me I'm being unreasonable and babying my device for making a logical purchasing decision knowing full well how this device was different from previous ones I've owned (my 5S looks TINY)....so be it.

I'm struggling to understand what part of 'agree to disagree' you don't get?

You have an opinion. You're entitled to it, I respect that that's your opinion. But I don't agree with it. I'm entitled to do that. Why do you want to keep going around in circles?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
He probably has a life outside of these forums and made fun of the issue to "real people".

LOL, if anyone would have the guts to do that they're crazy. It's easy to laugh at someone online about their choices of what they spent their money on but to laugh in someone's face in person? They better have some type of hit man to back them up. :D

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm struggling to understand what part of 'agree to disagree' you don't get?

You have an opinion. You're entitled to it, I respect that that's your opinion. But I don't agree with it. I'm entitled to do that. Why do you want to keep going around in circles?

I simply responded to your last post - which came AFTER you made your "agree to disagree" comment.

If you'd like to be done, that's fine. We're done.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
In the same way you're dismissing the opinion who have bent phones based on nothing but normal usage?

I'm sorry. It's a phone. I'm not going to treat it in any special manner. I'll treat it as a have treated all the phones I've gotten. I'm not going to suddenly change the way I treat my phone simply because you think I should. As I've said. It's a phone. It's not a tablet. It's a phone. A portable device. And it seems some people are having issues treating this portable device as.....a portable device.

As I've already said. Agree to disagree. You carry on babying your phone and treating it like it's some special object. I'll keep on treating my phone as if it were a phone. So you do as you suggested, believe what you want to believe. And I'll do the same.

So what you are saying is that you spend $600+ on a phone and have little regard for taking care of it?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In my opinion they could have made it the same thickness as the camera, put in an even bigger battery and also put the steel/titanium supports inside running the entire length of the phone, not with gaps in between them in the places it seems to bend. There are loads of 5.5 and above devices on the market and most are plenty thin enough, apples aluminium choice though perhaps requires a better internal support frame.

Perhaps - even though I've checked out the tear downs I won't even begin to know (and therefore comment) on how they could have rearranged the internals to add titanium supports.

Apple's choice to use aluminum carries its own set of pros and cons. I think most of us are smart enough to know the differences between aluminum and plastic.

Which again, goes back to my original comment - consumers should know the pros and cons and weigh them in their purchasing decision.

Now as far as thickness goes, using a simply rigid case takes care of this issue. There are those of us who LIKE and DESIRE thinner devices. I get not everyone feels that way.

But its impossible for me to thin the device down myself if it's been made to be 8mm thick. Whereas a device that's 7.1mm thick can be made a little thicker (heck, one can even add battery capacity) by those who so choose and left alone by those who like the thickness.

I use the Apple Leather case. Sometimes I rock the device naked, but the leather case is incredibly sleek. As I said on this thread, I rock my device in my pocket most of the time. It's quite a bit bigger than I'm used to (coming from a 5S/Nexus 5) so when I sit down its somewhat uncomfortable. I place my phones on my desk at work and home and in my mount in my car.

Even when I have my phone in my pocket when I'm sitting (which happens occasionally), I can still move it around - meaning there isn't even enough force to hold the device in one place, let alone bend the thing.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

----------

Then you shouldn't buy such a large phone.

See we've been told larger screens are only good - they have no tradeoffs and should be the exact same as a smaller display device.

Except that isn't true. A larger phone won't fit in the same sized pocket the same way. And if you are climbing a mountain and moving your legs in a way that would put pressure on your pockets, a 5.5" device will feel and react differently than a 4" device will.

That's just the way it is.

Pros and cons. Its up to the consumer to understand and decide.

People don't think. This isn't a black and white area. There are ALWAYS concessions. ALWAYS trade offs. Your goal as the consumer and owner of said devices is to have all the facts and understand the differences and options and base your decision on them.

Perhaps I'm just being too logical for some here.....but this is how I decide things. Especially when I'm about to drop $1000 on a piece of technology I will use constantly, daily.

You must've missed where I said that I have a regular iPhone 6, not the big 6+

It has been reported that the iPhone 6 is even easier to bend than the 6+ (by consumer reports) and the 6 is NOT too large for an average pocket.

Also, I like iOS and I didn't want to leave it, so iPhone is really the only device I would choose. Also, at the time when I was ordering it, I didn't think it was really possible for a phone to break by simply being in one's pocket. You would think it would be up to the company making the product to test it BEFORE they put it on the market. You can't tell by simply looking at a picture that the phone is weak. I stupidly assumed that I would be getting the same product quality I've gotten with all of my previous Apple purchases… stupid me for not knowing what I was buying!

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Do you mean the Spigen Slim Armor? How is the stand?

Which belt clip/holster are you using?

Yeah, mine is still on order but I am seriously debating whether to cancel it.

You may want to try the Apple Store in Rochester, NY. The Walden Store has been hit or miss (mostly miss) for me when I have had issues.

You are correct. Slim armor. The kickstand is solid and works great.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I made fun of all the hoopla surrounding Bendgate. Then my iPhone 6 Plus bent :/

You can't tell by simply looking at a picture that the phone is weak. I stupidly assumed that I would be getting the same product quality I've gotten with all of my previous Apple purchases… stupid me for not knowing what I was buying!

This is what I've been saying. The customer has no way of knowing whether the 6 and 6 plus are more prone to bending than the 5/5S.

The 5/5S is 7.6mm thin, and the 6 is 6.9mm thin. But we don't know if material changes (like type of aluminum) or internal configuration change overall strength.

My question to all the people who say the iPhone 6 needs to be treated with "extra care" is: at what mm thickness is the customer to know that a phone is so much more fragile that it requires more care than the iPhone 5/5S? 7.5mm? 7.2mm?

To say that the customer should just "know" that the iPhone 6 is more damage prone than the 5/5S is unreasonable and absurd.

The iPhone 6 is a mainstream consumer device. It should be designed to withstand reasonable everyday use by ordinary customers. If it isn't, then Apple messed up.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
We'll see about that. What if it bends while you're taking extremely good care of it? Are we not supposed to use these things or are we supposed to leave them at home so they don't get bent during LIFE.

This past weekend, I climbed a mountain with my fiancé, and I actually thought about leaving my iPhone in my car, but I was like "No! I'm not going to miss out on the opportunity to take photos and videos. I shouldn't have to be afraid that it's going to get damaged by carrying it in my pocket."

My point is, phones are meant to be portable, and they shouldn't get damaged from simply having them in a pocket (with nothing else in there but the phone).

If you sat on a pair of sunglasses, then yes, YOU damaged them, but I'm not SITTING on my iPhone. It's just IN MY POCKET where MOBILE PHONES GO.

I have the iPhone 6 by the way, so it's not too big.

Here's an idea: Buy another mobile phone.

If you don't like the risk of bending, don't use it. No one is putting a gun to your head. It's not an involuntary action. You're still within the return period. Bring it back to Apple. Go get yourself a nice, heavy, bulky, sturdy Android or iPhone 5C and quit you're whining. If Frosted Flakes don't suit your needs, start eating Rice Chex.

BJ

----------

So you've made it clear that the iPhone 6 doesn't suit your needs because it requires a little more care than past models as a tradeoff to its sleek frame and larger screen.

You're still within the Apple return window, so get rid of it and get an Android or any number of alternatives. There are only about 1000 different form factors to choose from.

This whining has to stop. Shouting over and over again how much you dislike the taste of Burger King's vanilla shake when there's a McDonald's right up the street makes you look stupid.

BJ

----------

So what you are saying is that you spend $600+ on a phone and have little regard for taking care of it?

Yes.

Apparently he's one of the 9 people that didn't get the memo that the tradeoff for lighter weight and thinner profile and larger screen is that you have to pay a little more attention to tight jeans and back pockets.

So instead of just quietly returning the phone, he's got to let the whole world know that he's unhappy when 20 million of us are thrilled. It happens. Instead, he should march right over to that mall kiosk over there and get a bulky, heavy, sturdy Samsung and then he can squeeze into those skinny jeans and to jumping jacks all day with the peace of mind that only Android can bring.

BJ

----------

I stupidly assumed that I would be getting the same product quality I've gotten with all of my previous Apple purchases… stupid me for not knowing what I was buying!

Finally, the truth.

Now go to a mall kiosk, strap on a Samsung, and enjoy a worry-free Android experience.

Apple doesn't owe you anything. And if they do, that's why the 5C and the 5S are still very much available to you. The MacBook Air isn't for everyone. That's why they make the MacBook Pro, chief.

BJ

SonicSoundVW

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
Michigan, USA
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that "Trolls" can only be people spewing negativity. But the reality of discussion forums is that worst offenders of "Trolling" often comes from the product defenders and their false positivity. Rather than participating in a topic, they instead are constantly trying to disprove other peoples personal incidents or attack the user rather than the issue.

Your reputation out here precedes you. You like to defend, attack and accuse. But the thing that you seem to have missed (since 1994) isnt that you are stopping discussions with "truth" you are stopping discussions because you annoy people with such irrational thinking that they dont bother trying to reason with an unreasonable person. If you consider that a personal win or ego stroke then thats great for you, but for the larger community it defeats the point of discussion.

Two decades on message boards and this is still what you consider to be "internet funny"?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
This is what I've been saying. The customer has no way of knowing whether the 6 and 6 plus are more prone to bending than the 5/5S.

The 5/5S is 7.6mm thin, and the 6 is 6.9mm thin. But we don't know if material changes (like type of aluminum) or internal configuration change overall strength.

My question to all the people who say the iPhone 6 needs to be treated with "extra care" is: at what mm thickness is the customer to know that a phone is so much more fragile that it requires more care than the iPhone 5/5S? 7.5mm? 7.2mm?

To say that the customer should just "know" that the iPhone 6 is more damage prone than the 5/5S is unreasonable and absurd.

The iPhone 6 is a mainstream consumer device. It should be designed to withstand reasonable everyday use by ordinary customers. If it isn't, then Apple messed up.

1. Apple allows anyone to pick up and experience their phones in thousands of stores across the country.

2. Apple has a generous return policy.

3. Apple makes the 5S and 5C which offer predictable usage patterns.

4. Apple's products are covered by scores of media and owners in meticulous detail.

So....

If your college degree didn't give you a sense that the new product might be too thin for you and you still went ahead and preordered one sight-unseen, don't do that again.

Similarly, if you are disappointed and concerned after two weeks of usage, march yourself to an Apple store, return it, get something else. Whining is no longer necessary.

BJ

----------

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Speaking on behalf of all 18,000,000 iPhone 6 owners:

We love our iPhone 6's.

We know it's a bit thinner than the iPhone 5 and might bend it if we're not careful.

We don't care. The phone is so good, it's worth the risk.

BJ

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You must've missed where I said that I have a regular iPhone 6, not the big 6+

It has been reported that the iPhone 6 is even easier to bend than the 6+ (by consumer reports) and the 6 is NOT too large for an average pocket.

Also, I like iOS and I didn't want to leave it, so iPhone is really the only device I would choose. Also, at the time when I was ordering it, I didn't think it was really possible for a phone to break by simply being in one's pocket. You would think it would be up to the company making the product to test it BEFORE they put it on the market. You can't tell by simply looking at a picture that the phone is weak. I stupidly assumed that I would be getting the same product quality I've gotten with all of my previous Apple purchases… stupid me for not knowing what I was buying!

70 lbs of force is still far more than what would happen in our pocket.

I'm sure they did test it. And found, that under NORMAL circumstances, the device won't bend.

I remember seeing bent iPhone 5S's after release too.....this kind of crap pops up every year. It's all nonsense.

If your phone really did bend under "normal circumstances" in your pocket, Apple will replace it.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
If your college degree didn't give you a sense that the new product might be too thin for you and you still went ahead and preordered one sight-unseen, don't do that again.

We know it's a bit thinner than the iPhone 5 and might bend it if we're not careful.

Didn't answer my question.

The rest of your post is non-responsive.

SonicSoundVW

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
Michigan, USA
Speaking on behalf of all 18,000,000 iPhone 6 owners:

We love our iPhone 6's.

We don't care. The phone is so good, it's worth the risk.

BJ

Holy smokes!! I didn't know you were the representative and speaking voice for 18,000,000 people! Air must be pretty thin up on that platform. Was it your own doing or were you voted in somehow? Just curious. On a side note, I'm now off to search the internet on the slimmest strongest iPhone 6 case. Has to be at least one case manufacture cashing in on this imaginary bending issue. No, really! I already ordered a 6, just have to wait till mid nov for ATT to get it to me.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Holy smokes!! I didn't know you were the representative and speaking voice for 18,000,000 people! Air must be pretty thin up on that platform. Was it your own doing or were you voted in somehow? Just curious. On a side note, I'm now off to search the internet on the slimmest strongest iPhone 6 case. Has to be at least one case manufacture cashing in on this imaginary bending issue. No, really! I already ordered a 6, just have to wait till mid nov for ATT to get it to me.

Get this case. Very slim and offers good protection. It's called the Obliq. Just check it out on eBay.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Relax, don't panic. Even though I represent 18 Million iPhone 6 users I'm still just a regular guy, very easy to talk to.

Please feel free to ask me anything, I'll be happy to answer.

BJ

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.