Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
I wear relatively tight pants with smallish pockets. I've had my iPhone 6 plus for about a week without any issues. I leave my Griffin Reveal case on it all the time.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
This is what I've been saying. The customer has no way of knowing whether the 6 and 6 plus are more prone to bending than the 5/5S.

The 5/5S is 7.6mm thin, and the 6 is 6.9mm thin. But we don't know if material changes (like type of aluminum) or internal configuration change overall strength.

My question to all the people who say the iPhone 6 needs to be treated with "extra care" is: at what mm thickness is the customer to know that a phone is so much more fragile that it requires more care than the iPhone 5/5S? 7.5mm? 7.2mm?

To say that the customer should just "know" that the iPhone 6 is more damage prone than the 5/5S is unreasonable and absurd.

The iPhone 6 is a mainstream consumer device. It should be designed to withstand reasonable everyday use by ordinary customers. If it isn't, then Apple messed up.

That's the problem, what do you consider reasonable use? Sitting on a $700+ phone? Wearing skinny jeans that are super tight and putting your iPhone Plus in your back pocket while you bend over to touch your toes? These phones aren't just magically bending while you look at them.

Why is it so hard for folks to be accountable and stop blaming everyone else for their stupidity?

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
That's the problem, what do you consider reasonable use? Sitting on a $700+ phone? Wearing skinny jeans that are super tight and putting your iPhone Plus in your back pocket while you bend over to touch your toes? These phones aren't just magically bending while you look at them.

Why is it so hard for folks to be accountable and stop blaming everyone else for their stupidity?

Iphone 6 plus handling rules.

1. It is ok to put your phone in your pocket (front or back).
2. It is not ok to sit down with your phone in your pocket.
3. If you get into a car, you must remove your phone from your pocket before sitting down. Hold the phone or place it on a flat surface.

SonicSoundVW

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
Michigan, USA
Relax, don't panic. Even though I represent 18 Million iPhone 6 users I'm still just a regular guy, very easy to talk to.

Please feel free to ask me anything, I'll be happy to answer.

BJ

Whew! Ok, i have a legit question. For somebody who IS worried that they might accidentally bend their new phone (iPhone 6 or 6 Plus), no matter how trivial the issue may be. Do you know of a sturdy yet thinnish case that will help prevent such a mishap? Im not talking about an ottorbox or anything huge and obnoxious, but something slim and sturdy to help reinforce the phone somewhat. Somebody had mentioned this as a possibility(see link below). Are their any others that you, or even others in the conversation might recommend?

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6/iphone-6-case-slim-armor-4-7.html

in fact, I'm not sure if their is a thread already started about the topic, if there isn't, then there should be! :)

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007

3. If you get into a car, you must remove your phone from your pocket before sitting down. Hold the phone or place it on a flat surface.

I've always done that with my 4S as well. Hate to feel the pressure of the phone (and wallet) in my pockets while sitting down. No tight jeans or anything but still.

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

I carry around the white box it came in. Anytime I think about sitting down, I simply just take it out and place it back in its box. See? Problem solved!

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
So what you are saying is that you spend $600+ on a phone and have little regard for taking care of it?

My iPhone 5 looks just as good now as it did the day I took it out of its box. As did all the phones I've ever owned. I out on a case and screen protector and be careful not to drop it. Wether it's a £30 Nokia or a £600 iPhone. If I buy it. I look after it. But looking after something and babying/treating with kid gloves are two entirely different things.

SlipSlidinAwa

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Fort William, Scotland, UK
iPhone 6/6+ in the flesh

I cancelled my iPhone 6+ when I read about the bend testing and how the 6/6+ is 1/2 to 2/3 the strength of the 5S. I had a chance to look at both in the Apple Store yesterday and can see I made the right decision, very lightweight compared to the 5S. I knew the aluminium part of the case had rounded edges but didn't realise the glass was also rounded and can see know how long hair could get caught. On top of that we now know that the top should have been Sapphire and wasn't because of GT Advanced troubles. I will wait for the 6S/6S+.

Regards

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Whew! Ok, i have a legit question. For somebody who IS worried that they might accidentally bend their new phone (iPhone 6 or 6 Plus), no matter how trivial the issue may be. Do you know of a sturdy yet thinnish case that will help prevent such a mishap? Im not talking about an ottorbox or anything huge and obnoxious, but something slim and sturdy to help reinforce the phone somewhat. Somebody had mentioned this as a possibility(see link below). Are their any others that you, or even others in the conversation might recommend?

in fact, I'm not sure if their is a thread already started about the topic, if there isn't, then there should be!

You'll be happy to know that we have our own subforum for iPhone Accessories of which iPhone 6 cases occupy about 99% of all discussion right now:

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/108/

Check it out. Post your question there and you'll get a quick answer. Once the newest iPhone is out for a couple of weeks, the action shifts from this forum to that one.

BJ

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
My iPhone 5 looks just as good now as it did the day I took it out of its box. As did all the phones I've ever owned. I out on a case and screen protector and be careful not to drop it. Wether it's a £30 Nokia or a £600 iPhone. If I buy it. I look after it. But looking after something and babying/treating with kid gloves are two entirely different things.

How's those chamfered edges going for you?

even though I'm super careful with my stuff those edges on both the 5 and 5s ended up always with loads of dings...

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
My point is: I SHOULDNT HAVE TO be afraid to put my friggin phone in my pocket. What if I forget to take it out before I sit down and now my $1000 phone is bent?

These are mobile devices that are meant to travel. I feel like the only logical way for it to not get damaged while using it NORMALLY is to leave it at home in the box it came in.

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
My point is: I SHOULDNT HAVE TO be afraid to put my friggin phone in my pocket. What if I forget to take it out before I sit down and now my $1000 phone is bent?

These are mobile devices that are meant to travel. I feel like the only logical way for it to not get damaged while using it NORMALLY is to leave it at home in the box it came in.

If you do have a Plus you know perfectly well it's almost impossible to forget it's in your pocket

CoyoteRidge

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
1. I do not have the case on most of the time. I only wear the case when I go out and am wearing pants. In fact, I've been wearing more gym shorts and sweatpants (college student) lately to play it on the safe side. My jeans are not tight in any exceptional way, they're a casual fit. When I'm home the case comes immediately off because I much prefer the device naked. There isn't a scratch on the thing.

2. No, I did not lay my iPhone 5 on top of the lens. The iPhone 5 is 100% on the backside body.

3. This is not some anti-Apple conspiracy here. I'm going to the store to get it replaced in the next few days. I will keep this thread updated on how Apple handles the situation.

Full album here
http://imgur.com/a/D2LOU
Reddit thread for those who are interested here
http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2ilswo/i_made_fun_of_people_freaking_out_over_bendgate/

Wow. Apple says only NINE units are affected by benditis. Are you number 9 ?

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
How's those chamfered edges going for you?

even though I'm super careful with my stuff those edges on both the 5 and 5s ended up always with loads of dings...

Not a mark on my iPhone 5 (watch me drop it and smash it later haha).

I always take care of my gadgets. I sell them come upgrade time. And more so any mark would annoy the absolute hell out of me.

I wouldn't say I was super careful. I put on a case and screen protector. Take the case off once a week and clean the phone. I've done this with every phone I've ever owned and the only phone that wasn't perfect come upgrade time was a Sony w95 that I dropped on concrete the day I bought it when drunk. It had a nasty ding in the corner. Besides that my phones have always been perfect come upgrade time.

I also dropped my 4s a few times but the case took the bump so I ordered a new case not a new phone.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Return it.

That's what people do when they have buyers remorse and are still in the return period. Be excited- your new Android phone awaits you.

BJ

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
I cancelled my iPhone 6+ when I read about the bend testing and how the 6/6+ is 1/2 to 2/3 the strength of the 5S. I had a chance to look at both in the Apple Store yesterday and can see I made the right decision, very lightweight compared to the 5S. I knew the aluminium part of the case had rounded edges but didn't realise the glass was also rounded and can see know how long hair could get caught. On top of that we now know that the top should have been Sapphire and wasn't because of GT Advanced troubles. I will wait for the 6S/6S+.

Regards

I think I will too. Too risky, I usually keep my phones two years. I do not want to carry around a $1000 warped phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.