Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Return it.

That's what people do when they have buyers remorse and are still in the return period. Be excited- your new Android phone awaits you.

BJ

I like iPhones. I don't want an Android. Why do people still feel like Apple isn't at fault here? They've made a huge design mistake, but fortunately for them, they have people like you that will defend them even when they've done wrong.

If I had known about this issue before I bought it, I would have kept my iPhone 5s and waited for Apple to fix their mistake.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I think I will too. Too risky, I usually keep my phones two years. I do not want to carry around a $1000 warped phone.

I cancelled my iPhone 6+ when I read about the bend testing and how the 6/6+ is 1/2 to 2/3 the strength of the 5S. I had a chance to look at both in the Apple Store yesterday and can see I made the right decision, very lightweight compared to the 5S. I knew the aluminium part of the case had rounded edges but didn't realise the glass was also rounded and can see know how long hair could get caught. On top of that we now know that the top should have been Sapphire and wasn't because of GT Advanced troubles. I will wait for the 6S/6S+.

Regards

Excellent! That means both of you can be easily persuaded by what people say on the internet. Obviously you can't do your own thinking.

----------

I like iPhones. I don't want an Android. Why do people still feel like Apple isn't at fault here? They've made a huge design mistake, but fortunately for them, they have people like you that will defend them even when they've done wrong.

If I had known about this issue before I bought it, I would have kept my iPhone 5s and waited for Apple to fix their mistake.

I guess Samsung made the same HUGE design mistake. Their Note 4 is also on YouTube and did not pass the bending test. :)

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I cancelled my iPhone 6+ when I read about the bend testing and how the 6/6+ is 1/2 to 2/3 the strength of the 5S. I had a chance to look at both in the Apple Store yesterday and can see I made the right decision, very lightweight compared to the 5S. I knew the aluminium part of the case had rounded edges but didn't realise the glass was also rounded and can see know how long hair could get caught. On top of that we now know that the top should have been Sapphire and wasn't because of GT Advanced troubles. I will wait for the 6S/6S+.

Regards
lol, you think GT Advanced was having troubles then? I can guarantee that due to the bankruptcy filing and the need to restructure over the next few months that the 6S will not have a sapphire crystal screen. Analysts are already concerned about the use of sapphire on the Apple Watch; and none of Apple's other suppliers have the sufficient means to create sapphire ingots as large as those required for an entire smartphone display.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Excellent! That means both of you can be easily persuaded by what people say on the internet. Obviously you can't do your own thinking.

----------

I guess Samsung made the same HUGE design mistake. Their Note 4 is also on YouTube and did not pass the bending test. :)

I watched the guy bend the Note 4, but it took so much strength that the guy was shaking and his thumbs turned white… even then, it barely bent and he was able to even bend it back no problem. I don't think the Note 4 will have the same issue…

regardless, I don't want something as big as the Note 4 anyway. It's too big for me (that's why I didn't get the iPhone 6+ either).

However, Consumer Reports did the same bend test on the HTC One M8 and it took the same amount of force to bend it as the iPhone 6 (regular), yet when the guy tried bending an HTC One M8 with his hands, he couldn't get the thing to budge. It flexed a LITTLE bit, but it went right back to it's original shape again.

How could Consumer Reports say that the iPhone 6+ (which took 90lbs of force) is stronger than the HTC One M8, yet that dude was able to bend the iPhone 6+ with no problem and had a harder time bending the regular 6 and couldn't bend the HTC One M8 at all?

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
How could Consumer Reports say that the iPhone 6+ (which took 90lbs of force) is stronger than the HTC One M8, yet that dude was able to bend the iPhone 6+ with no problem and had a harder time bending the regular 6 and couldn't bend the HTC One M8 at all?
Because Consumer Reports used the scientific method and held as many variables constant as possible. They used a computerized machine that could accurately gauge how much pressure was being applied, and do it at the same rate every time. On the other hand, that dude used hand sausages, which grip the device differently each time. And since he's only human, he can become fatigued.
post-29085-Jesse-Pinkman-YEAH-SCIENCE-gif-2wAB.gif

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I watched the guy bend the Note 4, but it took so much strength that the guy was shaking and his thumbs turned white… even then, it barely bent and he was able to even bend it back no problem. I don't think the Note 4 will have the same issue…

regardless, I don't want something as big as the Note 4 anyway. It's too big for me (that's why I didn't get the iPhone 6+ either).

However, Consumer Reports did the same bend test on the HTC One M8 and it took the same amount of force to bend it as the iPhone 6 (regular), yet when the guy tried bending an HTC One M8 with his hands, he couldn't get the thing to budge. It flexed a LITTLE bit, but it went right back to it's original shape again.

While I will agree it took a bit more effort to bend the Note 4 vs. the iPhone 6 Plus in his video, his hands were also shaking as he was bending the iPhone 6 Plus. It's not easy to bend like some of the trolls out here want people to believe. I tried to do it at the Apple store. The 6 Plus is very solid.

But here's my take. So many people here (especially the newer registered members) want so badly to put Apple on blast and trash the iPhone 6 and mostly the 6 Plus. Why not just go get the Samsung Note 4. I don't see anything productive of continuing to trash a product.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA

----------

The amount of bent iPhones reported on this site is going up daily. What about the ones that are bent and don't even know of this website.

http://www.oneofthenine.com

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Apple made no design mistakes and none of us here are apologists. Had they made a defective product we would be vocal about it. They haven't made a defective product; our silence confirms this.

Your excuse is weak. You are still within the return period for your iPhone 6. Simply return the phone, go on Craigslist and buy an unlocked 5S, your problem is solved. This whining is getting ridiculous.

BJ

----------

Looks like someone trying to make money off page hits and Apple. I guess we should take this random website off the internet as the defacto voice on this issue.

I clicked on that link to go to that website and immediately got a virus alert. Something is up with that thing, looks like malware or worse.

Don't go to that one of the nin website.

BJ

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
Looks like someone trying to make money off page hits and Apple. I guess we should take this random website off the internet as the defacto voice on this issue. :rolleyes:

Money off pagehits how? There is no advertising, no affiliate links, no marketing of any kind.

I pay the hosting and domain myself.

----------

Apple made no design mistakes and none of us here are apologists. Had they made a defective product we would be vocal about it. They haven't made a defective product; our silence confirms this.

Your excuse is weak. You are still within the return period for your iPhone 6. Simply return the phone, go on Craigslist and buy an unlocked 5S, your problem is solved. This whining is getting ridiculous.

BJ

----------

I clicked on that link to go to that website and immediately got a virus alert. Something is up with that thing, looks like malware or worse.

BJ

Aren't we getting a bit desperate now?

No virus , apart from the misinformation you are trying to spread.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
1. I do not have the case on most of the time. I only wear the case when I go out and am wearing pants. In fact, I've been wearing more gym shorts and sweatpants (college student) lately to play it on the safe side. My jeans are not tight in any exceptional way, they're a casual fit. When I'm home the case comes immediately off because I much prefer the device naked. There isn't a scratch on the thing.

2. No, I did not lay my iPhone 5 on top of the lens. The iPhone 5 is 100% on the backside body.

3. This is not some anti-Apple conspiracy here. I'm going to the store to get it replaced in the next few days. I will keep this thread updated on how Apple handles the situation.

Full album here

http://imgur.com/a/D2LOU

Reddit thread for those who are interested here

http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2ilswo/i_made_fun_of_people_freaking_out_over_bendgate/

Pics like these all over the Internet. The 6 plus bends a lot.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I just went to another Apple store and got a genius to replace the phone. I didn't mention my previous experience at all. The genius was entirely sympathetic and didn't question me beyond "have you sat on it? Do you know how it happened?". He then promptly used the "Early Field Failure Analysis" option on his iPad and ran to the back to grab a replacement. My faith is restored.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Oh the morality of some people in this world. You would sell a product to someone else that you know has issues just so you can make a profit. Pray or keep your fingers crossed that somebody doesn't try to gyp you in the future. :rolleyes:

It's AppleLand where to quote their past campaign:

"iPad it's Magical & Revolutionary"

LOL ... :)

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
I think you're take is way off. My take is that many of the people have enjoyed Apple iPhones and are big apple fans, but are both concerned or disappointed with what appears to be a reduction in the durability of the latest iPhone(s). Plain and simple. I don't see anyone bashing on Apple. And, if you just opened your eyes, you'd notice that the inane response that is given so often of "if you don't like it, go get yourself an android device" has been usually met with "I don't want an Android device, I want an iPhone that is as good or better than the last model". If it's not obvious to you, well...

BJ

----------

Glad you got that taken care of. I still have full faith in Apple CS. Now go put a tough armor or something on it.

I just went to another Apple store and got a genius to replace the phone. I didn't mention my previous experience at all. The genius was entirely sympathetic and didn't question me beyond "have you sat on it? Do you know how it happened?". He then promptly used the "Early Field Failure Analysis" option on his iPad and ran to the back to grab a replacement. My faith is restored.

Last edited by a moderator:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I think you're take is way off. My take is that many of the people have enjoyed Apple iPhones and are big apple fans, but are both concerned or disappointed with what appears to be a reduction in the durability of the latest iPhone(s). Plain and simple. I don't see anyone bashing on Apple. And, if you just opened your eyes, you'd notice that the inane response that is given so often of "if you don't like it, go get yourself an android device" has been usually met with "I don't want an Android device, I want an iPhone that is as good or better than the last model". If that's not obvious too, well...

Well what do you want the response to be? The Apple product has already hit the street and if some just don't like it then what do you expect people here to say when someone comes here and blasts the product? I mean, if I didn't like the way something was built then I'll just wait until the company makes the product I want. Until that time I will seek for another product elsewhere.
You're taking it as if Apple fans are getting offended and just shoving people off to Android. It's rather the point that people are getting tired of the annoying complaining posts. And please don't deny that there are a good share of people that register here just to troll. Many of them are reluctant to even showing their phones bent....why??? Because they don't have a bent phone. We can't have a forum of nice feedback from people who actually bought an iPhone 6/6 Plus because of so much trolling and complaints cluttering up the iPhone forum. It's ridiculous and shameful.

What's funny is (and I guess you're also included) is there are so many newly registered members here and they have nothing but contempt for the iPhone 6/6 Plus. So much so that they focus only on those bend videos, fully dismiss the Consumer Reports review which was solid and they completely ignore how great the phone actually is in terms of feature set and the operating system. People are using the bend crap to hate on Apple's products, if you can't see that then you must be one of them. Are you???

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
Well what do you want the response to be? The Apple product has already hit the street and if some just don't like it then what do you expect people here to say when someone comes here and blasts the product? I mean, if I didn't like the way something was built then I'll just wait until the company makes the product I want. Until that time I will seek for another product elsewhere.
You're taking it as if Apple fans are getting offended and just shoving people off to Android. It's rather the point that people are getting tired of the annoying complaining posts. And please don't deny that there are a good share of people that register here just to troll. Many of them are reluctant to even showing their phones bent....why??? Because they don't have a bent phone. We can't have a forum of nice feedback from people who actually bought an iPhone 6/6 Plus because of so much trolling and complaints cluttering up the iPhone forum. It's ridiculous and shameful.

What's funny is (and I guess you're also included) is there are so many newly registered members here and they have nothing but contempt for the iPhone 6/6 Plus. So much so that they focus only on those bend videos, fully dismiss the Consumer Reports review which was solid and they completely ignore how great the phone actually is in terms of feature set and the operating system. People are using the bend crap to hate on Apple's products, if you can't see that then you must be one of them. Are you???

Dear Henry,

It is nothing to do with people disliking their phone or apple, they just experienced a problem.

The consumer reports test was really testing what Lewis from unbox therapy did (although not in the right place) and not really testing the problem normal users are encountering. What Lewis did is not a problem for most users, bending while doing everyday phone things is. At least the consumer reports test did show the 6+ to be much weaker than previous iPhones.

As for boltjames and his comments, it was quite clearly a lie and therefore he is a liar and it was quite a pathetic thing to do. These are not insults but simply statements of fact. An html5 website with no active plugins would never flash up a virus warning and Saab and Surf Monkey are on the site all the time and I'm sure the first thing they'd report back here is any malware. I am unsure whether the nasty threats of harm against me I received through the site are anything to do with you guys as well but to whoever that is, please stop.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

Good stuff, sir! Sounds like they're trying to get to the bottom of the limited failures.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

I'm sorry, are we supposed to be proud of you because you ripped off Apple on a phone that is not defective?

BJ

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
I'm sorry, are we supposed to be proud of you because you ripped off Apple on a phone that is not defective?

BJ

The apple store determined it was defective and replaced it of their own will from their own determination. How were they ripped off?

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
A screen print.....that proves a lot LOL

As said before you take stuff from the Internet and put it on your website as fact. No checks no control no nothing! A FARCE!

It is people's accounts and pics then they send to us or post online. So, a collection of what is already written elsewhere.

I realize it upsets you a lot. Is there something we could do to make you happier with it?

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
It is people's accounts and pics then they send to us or post online. So, a collection of what is already written elsewhere.

I realize it upsets you a lot. Is there something we could do to make you happier with it?

BS

it's you going around the Internet and getting this stuff from people's accounts.

We know that ;-)

therefore the disclaimer at the bottom of your website about ownership of photos.....

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006

Good to hear that they took care of it. I was surprised that someone at any Apple Store would have done otherwise without any visible evidence of abuse to the phone.

Can you tell us the manufacturing week and factory from the serial # on the replacement phone? I'm curious if the replacements are from the original replacement stock (September or older), which would normally be the case at this point, or really recent (from October), which would suggest that they needed additional replacement stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.