Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
On a related note, I've just signed up to a 60 day MobileMe trial to see if it'll let me stream audio files - and it does!

So in a way, MobileMe is already like Amazon's cloud drive, because you can already stream your data to your iPhone using the iDisk application, the only thing that's missing is the integration with the iPod.app so that playlists etc. can be played.

So that makes me wonder if this iCloud deal does actually include streaming your own stuff, except you have to upload it first rather than it being readily available on iCloud...

Listening to your own files could also use the limited MobileMe bandwidth (I think it's 200GB/month), whereas songs purchased on iTunes don't affect the bandwidth allowance.

Just a few thoughts, not much longer now until we find out. :)

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Put me down in the column of people not likely to use the streaming service but hoping mobileme is merged with this for the lower price.

If this rumor is true about the pricing,

The best reason they won't merge MobileMe (at least entirely) with iCloud is because it would completely screw over people who recently paid to renew their MobileMe subscription. Also how do they deal with MobileMe Family plans?

There is a lot of questions here, but I feel like Apple will absolutely have to do something to make existing MobileMe users happy. I think if the $25 pricing is true then there will be a few options that Apple might go:

1. They offer multiple tiers, which offer either more storage or more features. This gives existing subscribers the highest tier.
  2. They refund existing subscribers the difference. That is very unlikely since a lot of people didn't pay full price, and bought it in a retail store, etc.
  3. MobileMe remains separate, but is cheaper still, and existing subscribers get iCloud free. So basically they would do a $25 for iCloud and $75 for MobileMe sort of thing if this was true.

They have to come up with an elegant solution to this problem though, people will be really pissed if they just make MobileMe cheaper as a result and offer nothing to existing subscribers.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I doubt Apple would build such a huge data centre unless we could store our own music on a personal cloud as well as our purchased stuff from iTunes...umm...what am I trying to say?.....everything available in iTunes is already stored somewhere and as another member said, it can already stream 1.30 mins of previews...so, perhaps the data centre will be for all the personal lockers we have to pay for to keep our "own" stuff (music and films etc)

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
Here is a crazy idea..quit your bitching and see what Apple delivers on Monday. Geez, some people get their panties in a wad based on rumor sites.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Interesting. I'm anxious to learn how/if this will play with MobileMe.

I have an apple ID for MoMe and another one for iTunes. Not sure how it will or won't jive.

I imagine:
1) Competitive price if you're a brand new customer
2) Included in your $99 MobileMe subscription, or minimal fee
3) Free with a new Time Capsule! (my theory is that Time Capsule will act as an always-on link between Mac and mobiles)

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
WHY use this when...
1. At home, use Home Sharing.
2. Not at home, worry about data caps present on all new US cell plans.
3. Crappy data speeds and constant buffering.
4. Pandora has more music than your iTunes library.
5. Netflix has more movies that your iTunes library.

WHY no rumors of...
1. App data-syncing across devices (iPads and iPhones).
2. Wireless syncing.
3. Wireless OS updates.

Sounds like the market leader is acting like one. :rolleyes:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Guys, iCloud is going to be more than just music. Apple told us themselves in the press release: "At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software - Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X; iOS 5, the next version of Apples advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch; and iCloud, Apple's upcoming cloud services offering."

It's entirely possible that the $25 though will just cover the iTunes portion; we'll have to see.

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
On a related note, I've just signed up to a 60 day MobileMe trial to see if it'll let me stream audio files - and it does!

So in a way, MobileMe is already like Amazon's cloud drive, because you can already stream your data to your iPhone using the iDisk application, the only thing that's missing is the integration with the iPod.app so that playlists etc. can be played.

So that makes me wonder if this iCloud deal does actually include streaming your own stuff, except you have to upload it first rather than it being readily available on iCloud...

Listening to your own files could also use the limited MobileMe bandwidth (I think it's 200GB/month), whereas songs purchased on iTunes don't affect the bandwidth allowance.

Just a few thoughts, not much longer now until we find out. :)

Yup, all mobileMe is missing is integration with the ipod app. It already integrates with iCal, contacts, mail, etc. Wouldn't be hard to add the ipod functionality as well.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Not for me

I have to say that If this is the iCloud service then I do not think its for me.
I use MOG right now and pay $10 a month and I love it. I can search for almost any song (they have10 million tracks!) and stream it instantly, I can also download whole albums for offline play (I loose signal allot on AT&T :p)
I wish apple would get in this game. They pretty much have almost every song and would like it to be integrated into the iPod app, apple tv etc..

Guess i'll have to wait.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Well. I was always hoping iTunes will become something like Spotify. Buying each song for .99c is just plain stupid. Buy your stuff on CDs or Vinyls, at least you get something you can show your kids someday and can hold it in your hands lol.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
My internet stinks at home (no available broadband above 1MB), so I couldn't use this even if I wanted to ... but I have everything synched to my devices, and I stream to my AppleTV ... so what's the benefit here?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
My internet stinks at home (no available broadband above 1MB), so I couldn't use this even if I wanted to ... but I have everything synched to my devices, and I stream to my AppleTV ... so what's the benefit here?

that stinks ... guess you don't need to sign up for it. A new service is not necessarily for everyone, luckily you are not forced to sign up for it.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
So, $25 per year to intermittently listen to my own music (such as when my signal is suboptimal) while using up my limited cellphone data plan vs placing my own already-purchased high-quality (no cellphone signal needed) music on flash storage I already paid much money on while using up no data? Hmmm.

This is an interesting idea and no doubt millions of people will eagerly spend their money on this (see recent release of Beatles on iTunes), but I'll pass.

As for people who just recently bought/renewed MobileMe; you're going to be mad at any cheaper/free cloud service that is introduced, really? If you're actually posting in this thread (or at least reading it), you would have known something like this has been coming for 6 months now.

Last edited:

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
About 98% of my 28GBs of music is from iTunes, so this would be worth it for me. But then again, I don't really listen to music while on the go. I may run Pandora on my N1 once and awhile at most.

Wow, thats around $9,300 spent on iTunes. Apple must love you!

mlayer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
Lala?

The last version of lala, which closed almost exactly one year ago after Apple bought it, had the matching service AND allowed users to upload their own music if matches couldn't be found. It also allowed a single free stream for any song (no time limit) an you could buy songs as a download (99c) or stream (10c). I wouldn't expect the last two features to be available, but the matching and uploads should be. The probem with buying lala was that the agreements the company had with the labels weren't transferable to Apple once lala was acquired. I've always thought tht Apple has spent the last 18 months trying to renegotiate those deals with the idea that they'd be the basis of their cloud music service, and that it took Google and Amazon jumping the gun to get he labels to the table. If the matching/upload service plus other MobileMe stuff is only $25/yr it's an absolute steal for consumers, probably too good to be true. If it's limited only to iTunes-purchased tracks I have to question why Apple is even bothering since they know it's not going to be an elegant solution.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
If this is just for iTunes-purchased context it's not so interesting.

I guess it could work if you have a significant amount of iTunes content that you access on the go and you usually have good Internet access. You could even save money by buying, e.g., the 16GB device instead of the 32GB device (assuming the useful life of the device is < 4 years and buying the smaller capacity dervice saves $100).

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Here is a crazy idea..quit your bitching and see what Apple delivers on Monday. Geez, some people get their panties in a wad based on rumor sites.

Bitching about people bitching is just as annoying.

Let's hope monday is going to be full of good surprises!

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So, $25 per year to intermittently listen to my own music (such as when my signal is suboptimal) while using up my limited cellphone data plan vs placing my own already-purchased high-quality (no cellphone signal needed) music on flash storage I already paid much money on while using up no data? Hmmm.

This is an interesting idea and no doubt millions of people will eagerly spend their money on this (see recent release of Beatles on iTunes), but I'll pass.

Yeah really not getting the music bit. I've been racking my brain trying to think of where this thing makes any sense. All I can come up with are Apple TV 2 movie purchases.

I never buy movies because I hate the thought of having to download and store multi-gigabyte files. If I could purchase unlimited streaming rights, then I might be convinced to buy some things rather than rent.

Of course, you can't even purchase movies from an Apple TV 2 anyway... it would require an update. I'm sure this isn't in the pipeline.

jsep

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Carlsbad, CA
I think services like Rdio and Spotify are the future of music. Why buy music, and then on top of that pay $25/year, when I can pay $10/month for unlimited music. That's around $6000 over the next 50 years for an "unlimited" selection of music.

Now if iCloud let me stream the entire iTunes catalog for ~$10/month, then i'd consider it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.