Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
4 speakers seems doubtful as hell.

also that sketch looks like iphone 5/5S and iPad Air/Air 2 design language - I would assume any new iPad product in 2015 would carry the iPhone 6 form factor since we already know the Air 3 and mini 4 will.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
How much added utilities could 12 inch iPad brings? Withoit optimizing for larger screen. It just an oversized iPad. Apple need to do more than just blowing up iOS to fit the 12 inch screen. It need adeed widgets, mutli-windows mode, mutli-users suuport etc.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
4 speakers seems doubtful as hell.

Four speakers will be great. I never understood, why the speakers were always placed under my hand. Also why do I not have stereo when I hold it in landscape mode. I have two speakers on one side. With four speakers, it wont matter how I hold it. No if they only made them on the front face me.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
OMG. I cannot wait.

I will fork over 1000 dollars ONLY if it allows me to have another row of apps on screen

Make it happen, Apple!!

----------

How much added utilities could 12 inch iPad brings? Withoit optimizing for larger screen. It just an oversized iPad. Apple need to do more than just blowing up iOS to fit the 12 inch screen. It need adeed widgets, mutli-windows mode, mutli-users suuport etc.

you mean "an oversized iPod-touch"???

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Going from 9.7 inches to 12 inches is a similar bump from the iPad mini to iPad air.

If Apple can release some pro apps, and partner with companies to do the same, this will be brilliant. Say Photoshop, with the same features as Windows/OS X version designed for a large touch screen.

If, until iPad Air 2, iOS apps have been limited to 1GB of RAM then this tablet could run two side by side no problem. Or they could give it a 'massive' 4GB of RAM, and have it run two heavy apps and a lightweight app with memory to spare.

Can't wait for the iOS 8.3 beta and code detectives to dig up some cool features!

Edit:

OMG. I cannot wait.

I will fork over 1000 dollars ONLY if it allows me to have another row of apps on screen

Why do people think that, if the home screen only contains app icons, the OS is 'dumbed down'? Widgets do not make an OS sophisticated. It's what you can do with the apps that matters, and the iOS SDK lets developers make really advance apps.

64bit allows for efficient calculation. And beefing up hardware specs - as the iPad pro would do - would solve any current problems. Faster processor, more RAM, larger screen, keyboard accessory included, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If it's a 12" or 13" device how many people will actually be holding it in their hands? I imagine if would be kind of awkward and heavy for that.

You think a 2015 12" iPad will be heavier than a 2010 iPad 1 ?

Is so, did you think the original iPad was too heavy to be hand held when it was launched?

----------

Four speakers will be great. I never understood, why the speakers were always placed under my hand. Also why do I not have stereo when I hold it in landscape mode. I have two speakers on one side. With four speakers, it wont matter how I hold it. No if they only made them on the front face me.

Well let's all thank god the person who made it that way, and would not allow it to change is no longer around to force their own person views onto us all.

Hopefully now, with said person out of the way, Apple can move forward without such restrictive viewpoints holding products back from evolving.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
iOS is faster and not as complicated.

We can't even get a real desktop computer out of Apple, OS X with 2gb of ram?

I can see a lot of uses for a huge tablet, I like that Apple isn't as rigid with one size fits all.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You think a 2015 12" iPad will be heavier than a 2010 iPad 1 ?

I don't think many people will be holding a 12" or 13" screen in their hands. That seems quite unwieldy regardless of how much it weighs. My guess is if a device like this exists it will be geared towards productivity. Perhaps this is when we get split screen multitasking (something that has been rumored to be in the works) and real pen support (Apple has at least 20'patent/patent applications for smart pens).

As far as this drawing goes, design wise it looks exactly like the current Air 2. Seems unlikely that Apple would keep the current iPad design for 3 years in a row. One would guess the Air 3 will follow the new iPhones design language.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't think many people will be holding a 12" or 13" screen in their hands. That seems quite unwieldy regardless of how much it weighs. My guess is if a device like this exists it will be geared towards productivity. Perhaps this is when we get split screen multitasking (something that has been rumored to be in the works) and real pen support (Apple has at least 20'patent/patent applications for smart pens).

As far as this drawing goes, design wise it looks exactly like the current Air 2. Seems unlikely that Apple would keep the current iPad design for 3 years in a row. One would guess the Air 3 will follow the new iPhones design language.

If you wish to scan back 5 years I have been saying the iPad is too small on these forums ever since I unpacked my iPad1 on launch day!

And I've repeated this statement again and again over the past 5 years.

Just think how MASSIVE a iPad air looks to a baby, a young child a teen even.

A lovely large device,

Now give it to a large 6ft 6" tall guy, BIG hands, etc etc.
Feels a tiny little device.

I was even going to look at a Nexus 9, but I was shocked to see how tiny it was, my iPad is, and always has been too small.

I'm just hoping 12" will feel large enough for me.

For the record, I once owned a 14" laptop and hated every moment of it before selling it on. Vowing to myself if I ever bought another laptop ever in my life it would have to be at least 17"

----------

What kind of stereo separation are you expecting from a tablet?

You should get excellent stereo.

Stop and think about angles.

Thing of yourself standing in a room, speakers on the opposite wall, say 8 to 10 feet apart, about 12 feet in front of you. Nice stereo huh?

Think of the angle from each speaker to your ear at that distance.

Now think of an iPad 12" model, being held say 18" away from your face.
Speakers at either side of the device.

Again, think of the angle between the speaker and your ear.

Realised what I'm saying are you ?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
If it's a 12" or 13" device how many people will actually be holding it in their hands? I imagine if would be kind of awkward and heavy for that.

Well, it probably wouldn't be much heavier than an Ipad 3 and people were using this one handed. One handed doesn't mean your holding it up all day long. Obviously, this kind of tablet would be used lying down or against something.

----------

If you wish to scan back 5 years I have been saying the iPad is too small on these forums ever since I unpacked my iPad1 on launch day!

And I've repeated this statement again and again over the past 5 years.

Just think how MASSIVE a iPad air looks to a baby, a young child a teen even.

A lovely large device,

Now give it to a large 6ft 6" tall guy, BIG hands, etc etc.
Feels a tiny little device.

I was even going to look at a Nexus 9, but I was shocked to see how tiny it was, my iPad is, and always has been too small.

I'm just hoping 12" will feel large enough for me.

For the record, I once owned a 14" laptop and hated every moment of it before selling it on. Vowing to myself if I ever bought another laptop ever in my life it would have to be at least 17"

----------

You should get excellent stereo.

Stop and think about angles.

Thing of yourself standing in a room, speakers on the opposite wall, say 8 to 10 feet apart, about 12 feet in front of you. Nice stereo huh?

Think of the angle from each speaker to your ear at that distance.

Now think of an iPad 12" model, being held say 18" away from your face.
Speakers at either side of the device.

Again, think of the angle between the speaker and your ear.

Realised what I'm saying are you ?

You'll get stereo, but come on, "nice stereo", that's a stretch.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Phil: This is a gorgeous device. It features a 12" Retina HD screen, and its our thinness iPad yet. Just wait until you get your hands on this...you will love it!

Love it until it ends up in a drawer...unless, it's a hybrid that can replace your MBA, then we're talking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.