Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Mark me down in the "What is the use in this" camp, unless it comes with some serious OS updates that make use for it. I'm curious what the screen resolution will be though. Considering I just bought a new retina Macbook Pro, if the resolution on this iPad were to be ground breaking it could make for great picture viewing.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
They should have been doing 4 speakers with rotation detection on the iPad air. There's a lot of empty space at the very top of the iPad.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'm saddened that Apple is starting to ditch the dedicated mute switch.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Looks kinda thick, might be good news in the battery department

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Well, it probably wouldn't be much heavier than an Ipad 3 and people were using this one handed. One handed doesn't mean your holding it up all day long. Obviously, this kind of tablet would be used lying down or against something.

----------

You'll get stereo, but come on, "nice stereo", that's a stretch.

Well next radial step, in another 5 years will be.

OMG Speakers that actually face YOU !!! Not the people sitting next to you :p

Apple will get there..... Eventually :)

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Def. don't want to drop this thing on the floor... guessing with such a large screen it is sure to crack and would not be a cheap replacement.

windels

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
Belgium
I do. I am using my iPad Air 2 128gb right now with Excel, Safari, PDF Expert and (soon) Word - I am writing and editing my master's thesis. I do miss a larger screen in an iOS device. Multitasking with split view following Apple's aesthetics and useability experience will be amazing. I do understand that an iPad with 12.2 or 12.9 inches would not be really suitable nor light enough to be comfortably held with one hand - but it DOES have its purpose for those of us that are the new adopters of touch technology for productivity. Finally, stop deciding who is and who is NOT a power user - I do consider myself one, with a 2560x1440 screen to facilitate multitasking in my mac and windows laptops. Believe me, touch productivity is better than you might think it is once you try it for good.

If you don't mind me asking, but what field are you in exactly? I'm not judging in any way, but I can't see myself typing a thesis on an iPad and be more productive that way. I do not own a tablet so I just want to know if I am missing anything?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This looks like a parts consolidating move. I bet it is the same screen on the 12" Macbook Air and this iPad Pro. The iPad Pro as a capacitive touch surface while the 12" Air does not.

LukasValine

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
Why does it have the old bezel around the camera? Apple changed the design on the iPad air 2 and iPad mini 3 to make the camera completely flush with the back of the device. I'm saying this is fake.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Honest question: what good does a bigger screen do? Who thinks 9.7" is too small?

Hopefully Apple some something greater in mind than just a larger screen.

Perhaps more of a hybrid like the surface, otherwise I don't see the point.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I would expect this to arrive with ios9. IF you have a big screen, IOS as it today currently doesn't offer the functionality to utilize all that real estate efficiently.

One app running as is now is a total waste for a screen that size.

A 12" MacBook running OSX with a detachable screen which turns into iOS decice would be cool IMO.

Last edited:

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
So when you have to hold it with two hands in landscape orientation, you will block all the speakers.

I'm sure the genius new feature will be sensors in the speaker grills that will enable the diversion of audio to the un-blocked speakers. Or four-speaker mono.

Why would you block the speakers when your hands would be below them when held in the most common landscape orientation (home button on the right, power on upper left, speakers upper left and upper right, hands lower right and lower left)?

The only way you'd block the speaker is if you currently hold an iPad by its power button (which already seems like a poor decision).

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Honest question: what good does a bigger screen do? Who thinks 9.7" is too small?

I do.

Always have done.

Always will do.

Who wants to read a magazine/newspaper, browse the web, watch a movie, play a game on a tiny 9.7" screen for heavens sake!

Pathetic.

I scanned way back and found a post I wrote on these forums Four Years Ago :)

I want one, but I have my doubts Apple will make one.

All I want it a Tablet that's the same size as a typical Laptop, not netbook screen. So a 14" or 15" please.

Not for on the move, but for relaxing at home use.

Whilst 10" is an ok compromise size, it is a COMPROMISE size.
It's a bit big for on the go travelling and it's a bit small for relaxed evening movie viewing of gaming with lots of fine detail on screen.

I personally would buy a 14" / 15" model in an instant.

And despite any naysayers here, I would bet a lot of money that a larger model would sell very well if customers has a choice.

RayDonovan

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
I'm still waiting on that "Best product pipeline" Eddy was talking about. What a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.