Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrougeux

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
I for one welcome this development. There hasn't been written a program yet that had the functionality of Quicken 2007 with respect to investments. I had been forced to create a separate partition on my laptop to run Snow Leopard and Quicken 2007. This makes my life a lot easier, and it seems to work so far. Although I did have to wonder, as it is identified in the checkout cart as: "Quicken Mac Lion 2007 DOWNLOAD for Windows." Yes, it says, for Windows. Guess that pretty well sums up things at Intuit.

exodus

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2004
not as bad as you think

Well, this is curious of course. But IF you happen to be a person who is using Quicken 2007, and haven't upgraded to Lion yet because of its incompatibility, well then this would be just the thing! Of course, the newer version of quicken for mac, called Quicken Essentials, is already Lion compatible. Anyway, it seems to me this was a nice thing for Intuit to do. Although, charging for it seems stingy. Essentials is $40 anyway.
-Ex

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Considering that Intuit is still capable of making a Mac version of TurboTax every year that is feature-parity with the Windows version, it is unbelievable that they can't make a feature-parity version of Quicken.

Even a simple port of Quicken 2011 or 2012 for Windows would be a massive improvement. Instead, they released Quicken Essentials, devoting more resources to things such as Cover Flow rather than functionality. This is software that people use to keep track of finances. It doesn't need to look like iTunes.

Quicken for Windows is one reason I still have Windows on my MacBook Air. I used to use Microsoft Money until MS discontinued it. Too bad Microsoft didn't decide to open-source Money. It was a decent product. If it still offered online quotes I'd probably still be using it.

svento

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Wow, $15 to continue using software they basically abandoned > 5 years ago. What a slap in the face. The ABSOLUTE least they should have done is given this for free to anyone who owns 2007.

kytiger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Intuit is a complete joke

Why is it so hard for Intuit to just port over Quicken for Windows. Charge $99....I don't care. I'd pay it.

Intuit is completely clueless.

PDXoPDX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
I am actually glad Intuit is so incompetent. Their lack of support for Macs forced me to ditch Quicken and switch to Moneydance. I had always been wary of moving to something new. Now I couldn't be happier!

I second that. MD rocks!

mench

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Dyson Vs. Quicken

Bad = Quicken Essentials for Mac
Worse = Dyson Vacuum Essentials for Mac

Only Dyson could trump Quicken in the sucking department over the past 10 years. The Quicken PC/Mac feature divide was the only drawback of switching to Mac a decade ago and, given the willingness of Quicken to address the gap over this time, I am glad to be rid of them. I honestly don't know how difficult it would be to simply use the same file format and keep a crack team of programmers to copy the PC version to Mac, but since this is clearly not a priority AND they have not gone to a full Web interface, I must assume that they are generally incompetent. May the dust of their corporate headquarters be devoured by the Dyson tornado.

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
Helps some of us

This is not the worst news. I moved to ibank about 6 months ago and am pretty happy with it. There are somethings that I would like to see, but the developers seem pretty responsive to the users.

My 74 year old dad however uses quicken and teaching iBank would not be fun for me. So when I upgrade his iMac up to Mountain Lion next fall when I visit, I am very happy that I can just install the new version of Quicken.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I for one welcome this development. There hasn't been written a program yet that had the functionality of Quicken 2007 with respect to investments. I had been forced to create a separate partition on my laptop to run Snow Leopard and Quicken 2007. This makes my life a lot easier, and it seems to work so far. Although I did have to wonder, as it is identified in the checkout cart as: "Quicken Mac Lion 2007 DOWNLOAD for Windows." Yes, it says, for Windows. Guess that pretty well sums up things at Intuit.

Please keep us posted in how this works for you. I am actually still running 2006 R7. I think they sent it out free to fix some bug, and I never got 2007.

I am actually still running it on an old 10.5.8 G4 so I am really not having any issues.

I would love to know if all the old keystroke shortcuts work. That's why I hate switching software so much.

Thanks!

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
You realize, of course, that Intuit owns Mint.com, don't you?

To be more accurate, Intuit idled with their own products, Mint started eating their lunch with superior and more advanced ideas, and Intuit bought them. It's not like Intuit went and created Mint. They deserve no more credit than HP deserves for WebOS.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
too little too late

I've been using YNAB. It's a little pricey, but I love it. Can sync to your iWhatever as well, but they charge you for the app. Still, I've been using YNAB for a few years now and have been pleased.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
I have completely given up on Intuit ever releasing a decent version of Quicken for the Mac, and I still use the Windows version of Quicken in a Windows XP VM on VirtualBox.

The only irritating thing about that is that you have to upgrade to a new version every three years in order to maintain compatibility with online banking. So I had to upgrade to 2012 recently and many of the new "features" are annoying.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I bought that software last year or 2 year ago, cant remember. But this is the worse thing I ever bought. Can't automatically update your bank info.
I switched to mint.com and the iPhone app is awesome as well, plus it's free.

no more intuit for me, thanks no
Intuit owns Mint.com, so you haven't escaped Intuit's grasp at all. You just transferred your money to another one of their pockets

the.omnibus

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
I can never decide whether to hate or love Intuit. They created Mint, a service I really enjoy, but continue to pull crap like this.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And I went to Quickbooks on the Mac from the Windows version and it truncated all of the line items in all invoices and purchase orders.

The reason I switched was that every time I did a backup in the Windows version, I lost data. I got as far as being told that I had to buy a service contract for Intuit in order for them to fix it. I switched, for a short time, to Peachtree which said that 'All versions of Quickbooks can be imported 'as is' and it would save you hours of reentering things'. HAH! It didn't import my data. Peachtree refused to help be import my data, and offered to sell me another service contract. NO NO NO!!! Switched to Quickbooks for Mac and the data problem went away, and most of the information on line items as mentioned above. We went back to the Windows version and so far (knock on wood) the data seems to be stable...

I hate Intuit but feel cornered...

bearmark

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Goodbye Quicken!

Intuit has ruined Quicken and I'm glad I moved to Moneywell a couple of years ago. Now I can manage my accounts from my Mac as well as my iPhone and iPad... Intuit still doesn't have that! I tried the new Quicken Essentials and it was terrible from both a usability and functionality perspective. Do yourself a favor and quit giving Intuit any more of your money (except for TurboTax, which I still stick with).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.