Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Apple board meeting with Bill Campbell:

CVx51.jpg

sladey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Now a YNAB convert

I searched for a long time for ANYTHING for the Mac that would replace MS Money for Windows.

Then I realised that a lot of these programs, Mint, Moneydance, etc. are OK at RECORD-KEEPING. But NONE are helpful to me getting ahead and staying on top of my spending...

Further, downloading transaction info from my Bank as my default input method only reinforces a lack of control over what we spend. If we can't be bothered entering our own information, we have TOO MANY purchases. We are out of control.

So I switched to YNAB. It's a refreshing and DIFFERENT approach to money/budget management. Take my word for it: if you want to take control of your finances, try the YNAB system.

Look forwards not backwards!

PS. I'm not an employee of YNAB - just love their product.

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Ok, sure it's sad that in 2012, there is a new version of 2007 coming out, but this is actually really good news for me.

Believe it or not, my 80 year old grandmother is coming over to my house after work TODAY so I can set her up on a new finance program. She has been using 2007 since 2007, but got a new computer this year because it didn't seem right she was still using a G4 lamp iMac still. But the loss of Quicken, the only thing she really does on her computer, was making her miserable. She bearly knows how to use e-maill, but she knows quicken 2007, so trying to teach her a new program was going to be nearly imposable. Now I have a $15 solution to all of my problems.

Also, why do programs need to keep getting more and more complicated? With fianace software, there is only so many features you can add. Also, I assume that finance software comes out more slowly, because it's finance software. It's complicated, and it has to be secure, and it has to work, because what matters more to people than money? Shoving buggy, rushed software out the door is much more problematic for this type of software I would think.

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Lion compatible? :mad: No no no Intuit, not so fast with the marketing BS. This has nothing to do with Lion. Quicken 2007 for Lion is in fact OS X Intel compatible and had nothing to do with Lion itself!

So yeah, how about finally hiring some decent Apple developers and rewriting this dinosaur of a software before iBank and likes make sure that no OS X user ever touches Quicken? And yeah I am fully aware that certain ageing Mac users hold fond memories of times of old when Quicken used to be the gold standard for finance management ...

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Ok, let me be among the first to say "thank you, Intuit." The absence of Quicken for Lion has been the one thing stopping me from upgrading. Now I can (just in time for Mountain Lion!). So they'll get $15 from me today. Hopefully they will continue to evolve the product. Quicken Essentials is essentially useless if you want to do anything with investments (you know, like pay your taxes). That's a real waste of a product. It would be nice if it just had Q2007 features.

So I also notice some ironies:

1. It's Quicken 2007. Marketing genius this ain't.
2. They did beat the "early spring" release date. I was thinking it would've hit in late May.
3. The ad tells you that you can encrypt your files so you can store them on MobileMe. Maybe it really is 2007 at Intuit. Too much to think they might know about the iCloud.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I would be satisfied if Intuit would just come out and say "Mint.com is the future", bring feature parity to Mint.com (can charge small subscription fee for advanced features), and offer full migration tools for all the various formats of Quicken.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Lion compatible? :mad: No no no Intuit, not so fast with the marketing BS. This has nothing to do with Lion. Quicken 2007 for Lion is in fact OS X Intel compatible and had nothing to do with Lion itself!

Well that's not much of a distinction, since it was Apple, not Intuit, who decided that PPC apps would no longer run in Lion. Actually I'd like to see Apple distribute this update for free to those of us who are stuck with Snow Leopard because of Quicken. And yes, I have looked at all the alternatives. None will do what I need done. Sadly.

bizill

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
In a related story, Intuit will be bundling Quicken 2007 for Mac with TurboTax 2007 for Mac for a discounted price...

Macbmw

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011

Does Intuit know that we are in the post-PC era? Yesterday Apple release the iPad 3. Intuit are stuck in the 2007. Their products are so yesterday or maybe their engenieers are so old they can not code new apps anymore. I forgot Apple hired all the best engineers available. It sucks to be old......lol .

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Last December, Intuit announced that it would be developing a version of its Quicken 2007 for Mac software compatible with OS X Lion, targeting "early spring" for a release. Quicken 2007 has remained a popular option for users of personal finance software despite its age, as Intuit opted to deploy a stripped-down Quicken Essentials for Mac in 2010 rather than continuing to update the full Quicken product for Mac. But with Apple's discontinuation of Rosetta in OS X Lion, applications such as Quicken 2007 that had been written for PowerPC-based Macs are incompatible with the latest operating system.

As quietly noted its Quicken for Lion FAQ updated today, the software is now available directly from Intuit. Priced at $14.99, Lion-compatible Quicken 2007 for Mac is available either by direct download or on CD.Migration of Quicken Essentials data into the Lion-compatible version Quicken 2007 for Mac is outlined in a support document.

Intuit's lack of support for the Quicken for Mac product line has sent customers searching for alternatives, with a number of other products such as iBank and Intuit's own Mint.com seeing some success in the market, although each of the products offers a slightly different set of features.

Intuit is clearly trying to keep some of its Quicken for Mac customers using the software under Lion, but it is unclear whether the company has a long-term plan to advance a Quicken product for Mac that offers features beyond those found in Quicken Essentials. Given that even the Quicken 2007 for Mac page recommends that new Quicken users opt for Quicken Essentials, it appears that the company is still planning to push the stripped-down Essentials package as its primary Mac offering for at least the time being.

Thanks, Marck!

Article Link: Intuit Releases Lion-Compatible Quicken 2007 for Mac

Making the crappy old version of Quicken Lion-compatible was the best they could do? Really? No feature parity? No bug fixes? No file format compatibility?

William "Bill" V. Campbell and his company (Intuit) are a disgrace to Apple and he's not fit to be on Apple's board.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
OMG this "news" is funny.

There are two things in the computer world right now that are outright hilarious.

The first is Microsoft continuing to push Metro and ruin the Windows experience for their desktop users while simultaneously ignoring the hundreds and hundreds of posts on their own Windows 8 blog site pleading to make Metro an option for people who don't want it.

The second, and even funnier thing is Intuit attempting to do anything Mac-wise that doesn't suck in the most pathetic way. First they developed the not very good Quicken for Mac 2007.

Then they blogged about how they were building Quicken Essentials for Mac that would work the way Mac users wanted it to. As if my finances work one way when I log into my Windows partition but they're different when I log into the Mac partition. The comments on Quicken's own Mac forum were very negative, to the point and right on the money.

Finally they now release a fix so their outdated, not very good, five-year-old effort can struggle along under Lion or ML. In five years Intuit was unable to build a Quicken for Mac that does the same work as their excellent Quicken for Windows releases?

They might as well be telling the Mac community to go pound sand, go eat the bone or go fly a kite. Intuit is beyond being simply insulting.

SilverWiz

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
MoneyWiz which is currently available for iPhone and iPad, will be released for Mac next month. Except the investments functionality, everything else that Quicken has, MoneyWiz has it too, but in clean, beautiful and simple interface.
On top of that, MoneyWiz is the absolute only app that has automatic live sync.
http://www.silverwiz.com

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
Intuit is disappointing on the Mac; here they have a golden opportunity to do something awesome but they opt to use the bandage solution in a native app.

I use http://www.saasu.com/ for my accounting, it works better than Mint but not quite as easy to use. It also imports bank data feeds from banks outside of the USA. Mint may do this now but didn't when I evaluated it a couple of years ago.

rlseafor

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
they could have just repackaged and slapped on 2012 and no one would have ever noticed the difference.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Anyone want to take a bet that it breaks with Mountain Lion?

So, in 6 months are we supposed to pay 15 bucks again?

I get Intuit wrote off the Mac. I understand accountants use PC's. But there has been a revolution in the computing world.

Macs are selling faster than the PC industry.

Young, new customers for Intuit buy Macs.

And cloud is a good offering, but there are millions of people who will not use trust Intuit with this information. (Millions will, of course.)

You'd think a company where the founder is also on Apple's Board would direct Intuit to move where the puck is headed. The Wintel duopoly age is dead.

I hope there is a 2012 Quicken for the Mac which is every bit as good as the Windows version. And it syncs flawlessly with the iPad. It would be foolish for them not to provide this. And is fast. And not buggy as sin.

Yes, I know Intuit has lock-ins with the banks and payment providers, I understand this is not a big piece of their revenue.

But a generation of customers are growing up without Quicken and Quickbooks. And existing customers who have more money to spend are going elsewhere since you can only kick a customer so many times.

I hope Intuit gets their act together. I'd love to be their customer again. Give them money and speak highly of them.

But it's funny. I don't need to be. Don't need their cloud offering either. It's their choice

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Well that's not much of a distinction, since it was Apple, not Intuit, who decided that PPC apps would no longer run in Lion. Actually I'd like to see Apple distribute this update for free to those of us who are stuck with Snow Leopard because of Quicken. And yes, I have looked at all the alternatives. None will do what I need done. Sadly.

What? How is Apple at fault for not wanting to continue the support of an emulator which was released as a band-aid? Roseta was released in 2006 so that the transition period would be easier for the end user and NOT so that Intuit can use is as an excuse not to rewrite their software.
Apple gave Intuit 5 years to get the software to work on Intel machines. Intuit did absolutely NOTHING it 5 years! And yes, it does suck for users who depend on the software but it should be Intuit that distributes the software for free and not Apple! Charging you $15 for a patch is actually an insult considering you've stuck by the company for the last 6 years hoping that they will come to their senses.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
u mean it's still 2007? Good thing they spent all that money upgrading their software...

Yay, half-decade-old software!! Intuit is atrocious.

Maybe if Apple spent some engineering effort towards making OS upgrades compatible, vendors would not have to waste money "treading water".

Would you rather have 3rd party software vendors working to add features, or just fixing things that the OS vendor broke in the update?

I have 1993 software packages that install and run on Windows 8. Why is Apple so much worse than Microsoft?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.