Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
What's a spinning disk?
They are disks used in the iMac that bring apps like iTunes and iPhoto to a screeching halt with their slow speed. They're seldom found in PCs since they are so cheap and easy to swap out. :rolleyes:

Nice absolute nonsense garbage post. Nice contribution.
Says the person that responded to my post with a garbage post... Cry harder next time. :rolleyes:

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I just want to be able to drag a photo from the app and drop it on any app rather than having to export photos i want to use elsewhere. It's just plain unacceptable considering it's almost an OSX feature every other app has!

Also sorting photos is non existent. I have to create smart folders just to access sorting!

It's just not the app apple should have made. It's does an ok just of being where i store photos but thats it.
[doublepost=1456494737][/doublepost]
They are disks used in the iMac that bring apps like iTunes and iPhoto to a screeching halt with their slow speed. They're seldom found in PCs since they are so cheap and easy to swap out. :rolleyes:

Seldom is not a word i would associate with PCs and mechanical platters. Sorry but you can pick an SSD in an iMac if you want one, every other mac contains an SSD and very high speed ones vs Win PCs, if anyone is stuck on the spinning platter flex it's Windows boxes and most of them are running very old versions of windows with old standards. Win PCs are the only things you can buy an old OS on, that and android, welcome to the past.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
It's probably just me but I think Photos is terrible. The only "upgrade" I can think that would make me want to start using it again is if they reverted back to iPhoto.

I've stopped using OS X for my images and instead use the media library on my Synology NAS. It's taking time to move everything out of Photos, but the big advantage is not having to keep my photos on my computer's hard drive.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
  1. Lock the info panel into the left sidebar again instead of it being a floating free agent.
  2. Bring back the ability to manually add or edit geotagging.
  3. Clicking a dated location grouping of photos can bring up a map, but it's not the same or useful functionality as the "Map" overview under "Albums" as before.
  4. The usability difference between "Photos" and "All Photos" is vague, mostly due to their similar headings -- how about "All Photos" at the top, then "Photos by Date" under Albums.
  5. Bring back the logical keyboard shortcuts of Command-Arrow(up-down-left-right) or Esc to navigate in/out of photo drilling.
  6. Name it "iPhotos" -- different from it's predecessors, accurate and MUCH easier to research on.
  7. "Events" is the obvious and best organisation name/tool ever for photos -- bring it back.
  8. Make "Faces" optional -- so much wasted time and processor heat on this feature only to have the app ask me "Is this Steve?" when I import photos of a crucifix or Buddha or other works of art -- or literally hundreds of suggested faces found in leaf patterns or stained glass windows or the legitimate faces of people I don't know gathered around the ONE person I do care about. In the VERY least, provide a "Remove All Faces" button so we don't have to delete them individually.
  9. When emptying the contents of the "Recently Deleted Photos" folder (a really good addition!), please perform the task requested; as it stands now, this action must be taken twice before the folder is emptied. It's impossible to provide a plausible explanation for that during a tech support session beyond saying "Apple is just making double-sure you want to remove them."
  10. In the Desktop and Screen Savers panel, bring back that one that made thumbnail collages of user photos zoom-melting into one photo... very cool.
  11. Apple: please rethink the iCal and Calendar apps soon -- I'll gladly provide again a comprehensive list of problem areas with solutions.
Good list. Here are my additions:

1) Better multiple library support such as the ability to easily move a photo (or group) from one library to another. Right now it's a very convoluted process of export and then import.

2) Selectively designate referenced images in a library. If you have even 10,000 images in the library, there's no need for all of them to be in the iCloud library. Well, maybe Apple wants it that way so they can collect money from you but they ultimately won't in this case as people will just use other solutions.

3) Display more than one image at a time. Some of us actually like to compare images to see what we've done or are doing.

Reactions: BJMRamage

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Photos is a turd. Adding "feature improvements" will make it a polished turd.

Systematically killing off professional apps like Aperture and others is a slap in the face to the user base that basically kept Apple alive back in the day.
I fully agree with your point but to be fair, Apple was taken off life support long before Aperture was developed and released. Still wish they committed to developing it as it's better than anything else I've tried, especially in its DAM functionality.

Reactions: cote32mt

Moofo

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Regarding folders on top: no. Absolutely not. The notion that folders and files should be handled seperately is completely retarded. I've been wishing Windows would knock it off for the last twenty years.

Exactly. This is the most stupid and retarded behaviour of windows. Even the list command in a shell does not behave like that.

My media center behave like that an and I absolutely hate it. Completely moronic.

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Still miss Aperture. :(
Since then have been on an odyssey. First to Capture One and then had to migrate again from Capture One to Lightroom. Migrating 100K image libraries twice in 1 1/2 years is not fun and took a lot of time I'd rather spend on taking photos.
[doublepost=1456504586][/doublepost]
Unlimited storage akin to Google Photos
Am staying far away from anything Google related. They just created one big mess with Picasa, Google+, Photos, mobile sync etc. and you never know what direction they will go next and I don't share private data like photos with them. They are still mostly an advertisement company.

Reactions: BJMRamage

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
Am staying far away from anything Google related. They just created one big mess with Picasa, Google+, Photos, mobile sync etc. and you never know what direction they will go next and I don't share private data like photos with them. They are still mostly an advertisement company.

Like I said, and since we are talking about possible improvements to the Apple Photos app in the upcoming iOS 10 and OS X 10.12, I am hoping the Apple Photos app allows us unlimited storage just like Google does for its own Photos app. This has nothing to do with Google.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
First off, you don't know me and I don't know you. So stop with your bad mouthed, poor attitude comment. That was not needed.
Showing the well-established trap of human memory (we humans tend to forget bad things more easily than good things, it is a way our mind keeps sane by getting rid of bad memories) you had fallen in, is not bad-mouthing or a poor attitude. It is simply the most straightforward explanation for your comment. If I had wanted to bad-mouth you, I would have claimed that you intentionally lied (about the 2-4 years) to make your point appear to be more valid.

Second, if you disagree...don't comment.
Ahh, that's how we are supposed to behave here, only ever agree with what others say.

My point was the OS X from Steve era was actually better. I haven't seen much bs coming from Steve's days in terms of productivity. The way you are talking demonstrates you never lived that life with os x SL...and before that.
I have to disappoint your confidence in your deduction capabilities. I have used Macs continuously since OS 7. How long have you used Macs? Have you used OS X 10.0.x for example? I have also blog posts of mine where I blast OS X 10.5 (Leopard). So, I definitely know OS X under Snow Leopard and earlier.
[doublepost=1456508626][/doublepost]
It's one of those things Apple puts in it's iMac & Mac Mini computers unless you BTO.
Corrected that for you.
[doublepost=1456508795][/doublepost]
It's probably just me but I think Photos is terrible.
Well, I think iPhoto was terrible (compared to Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One and even Photos).
[doublepost=1456509242][/doublepost]
Yeah, Apple is hitting their experienced users hard. Steve would not have allowed this. Cook is all about targeting new customers and making even larger profits, so he wants to make sure that the OS is more inviting.
Sure, iMovie '08 never happened under Steve Jobs. Or Final Cut Pro X. And these tablets with their dumbed-down iOS never happened under Jobs. Apple under Steve Jobs really stuck to its creative professionals using Macs as its main customer base.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncrypt and cote32mt

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
How about the ability to drag a photo into Word, into the craigslist upload area, into the photobucket upload area, etc. Something I could do in iPhoto 1. How about bringing back home sharing to easily add photos from other macs in the house? Photos is awful. How about when I select to import and delete from phone it actually leaves them on the phone and I have to manually delete each pic?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
My wish list for 10.12:

1. OS X will stop defecating with ._, .Trashes, .fseventsd, .Spotlight-V100 to all pendrives and mounted network file systems! Stop this crap! Seriously!
a) Windows never uses any hidden files or folders?
b) BlueHarvest is your friend.
c) Do you really think storing the information that is in those hidden files and folders in a central database is a better solution?
d) Or would you prefer to get rid of the concept of the Trash folder?
[/QUOTE]
  1. Increased application security. Running applications in isolated containers. ACL to system resources, and so on.[/QUOTE]
You mean banning non-App Store apps? There are apps that simply cannot work in sandboxed system, do you want to get rid of them?
  1. Tidy up system directories. There is huge mess of unix legacy and own solutions (/home vs /Users, /var/log vs /Application/Server/*/Logs and many more).
You mean breaking compatibility with a vast array of Unix tools?
[doublepost=1456509926][/doublepost]
"Siri on the Mac has been a long-desired feature..."

Siri, yo bitch! Can you please instantly kill this rumour please? Thanks! You're not wanted on the Mac!
If OS X only had the features that nobody objected to, it would hardly have any features. Or did you mean that Apple should only listen to you when it comes to OS X features?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Showing the well-established trap of human memory (we humans tend to forget bad things more easily than good things, it is a way our mind keeps sane by getting rid of bad memories) you had fallen in, is not bad-mouthing or a poor attitude. It is simply the most straightforward explanation for your comment. If I had wanted to bad-mouth you, I would have claimed that you intentionally lied (about the 2-4 years) to make your point appear to be more valid.

Ahh, that's how we are supposed to behave here, only ever agree with what others say.

I have to disappoint your confidence in your deduction capabilities. I have used Macs continuously since OS 7. How long have you used Macs? Have you used OS X 10.0.x for example? I have also blog posts of mine where I blast OS X 10.5 (Leopard). So, I definitely know OS X under Snow Leopard and earlier.
Corrected that for you.
Well, I think iPhoto was terrible (compared to Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One and even Photos).
Sure, iMovie '08 never happened under Steve Jobs. Or Final Cut Pro X. And these tablets with their dumbed-down iOS never happened under Jobs. Apple under Steve Jobs really stuck to its creative professionals using Macs as its main customer base.[/QUOTE]
Yeah okay. i highly doubt you used OS 7 but whatever....I'm going back to regular discussion "chao."

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Interesting. The biggest thing keeping me out of using iCloud Photo Library is the mess it seems to make of your photos.

Having taken photos on holiday, I like to put the ones I want to keep into an album and delete the rest (clearing my camera roll). When I turned iCloud Photo Library on, my camera roll disappeared and "All Photos" showed me everything - stuff that was in an album, stuff that wasn't. My latest photos from WhatsApp, my latest camera roll photos riiiighhtt the way back to the oldest photo in the oldest album in Photos.
That is how Albums have always worked, in iPhoto, in Aperture, in Lightroom (where they are called collections). Putting an image into an album has never removed it from anywhere else, that is the very definition of an album. You are confusing albums with folders (Events/Projects) where moving an image into one folder (Event/Project) meant moving it out of the folder (Event/Project) it previously sat in. The concept of folders (Events/Projects) has been implement via Moments and Collections in Photos but in a way the user cannot access (ie, they are auto-generated and cannot be modified by the user in any way).

If there was a "unfiled Photos" album.
Such a thing can only exist as a smart album. Fortunately, you can actually create it. Just create a smart folder and set the condition to 'Album' 'is not' 'Any'. As long as you move images into albums only via drag and drop from that 'Unfiled Photos' album, this should mimic the behaviour of traditional folders (Events/Projects). However, you can still move the same image into multiple albums (not from the 'Unfiled' album because the image will disappear from it but if you move an image from any other album to another album or if you move an image from the Moments/Collections view into an album). That might be or not be a problem.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

Corrected that for you.
Sure, iMovie '08 never happened under Steve Jobs. Or Final Cut Pro X. And these tablets with their dumbed-down iOS never happened under Jobs. Apple under Steve Jobs really stuck to its creative professionals using Macs as its main customer base.[/QUOTE]

iMovie '08 was an abomination, I concur. However, Jobs would not have subtracted so much from Mac OS and Apple's other software. I can't see how they are gonna go on like this. iTunes, for example, gets worse with every update. As for hardware, they have made base model Macs into pieces of crap, just so people will feel more inclined to pay more money for the better models. Remember when a base model iMac was still a great computer? NOW look at the base model iMac: 5400RPM laptop hard drive, soldered-in RAM, etc.

You sound a bit defensive here. It doesn't take a genius to realize the changes that have been made under Cook, and why such changes wouldn't have happened under Jobs. It's obvious. There's a difference between someone who puts their soul into a company and someone who works there just to maximize profits as much as possible and boost their salary at the same time. Bad management is why Apple almost died in the 1990s.
[doublepost=1456515536][/doublepost]
My wish list for 10.12:

1. OS X will stop defecating with ._, .Trashes, .fseventsd, .Spotlight-V100 to all pendrives and mounted network file systems! Stop this crap! Seriously!
  2. Ancient HFS+ should be replaced with something modern and more responsive. It would be awesome if they use something like brtfs instead of reinventing the wheel.
  3. Time machine backup is slow and limited. Maybe with modern FS they will be able to make more compact and smarter snapshots.
  4. Increased application security. Running applications in isolated containers. ACL to system resources, and so on.
  5. Tidy up system directories. There is huge mess of unix legacy and own solutions (/home vs /Users, /var/log vs /Application/Server/*/Logs and many more).
  6. Updated OpenGL stack or supported Vulcan API. 2015 was the worst year ever when it comes to AAA games releases on OS X. Looks like no one wants to spend resources for adopting games and applications to Metal or deal with very outdated OpenGL backward compatibility.

But probably new Trash icon will be the biggest change implemented...
[doublepost=1456486669][/doublepost]

Yes! I still use Snow Leopard sometimes on one of my machines and I can click specific position instantly just by seeing color. On current OS X i have to either read descriptions or take a closer look at those monochromatic icons to distinguish them.

Yeah, it's plenty stupid. I don't really give Jobs too much credit for everything (unlike this who think he did everything himself), but we can all agree that a company can change under different management. I feel that many of these issues would not have been let by under Jobs' rule. Cook is making Apple into a more arrogant company, and it's shown in their current choices with software and even hardware.

bbkr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
a) Windows never uses any hidden files or folders?
b) BlueHarvest is your friend.
c) Do you really think storing the information that is in those hidden files and folders in a central database is a better solution?
d) Or would you prefer to get rid of the concept of the Trash folder?

Somehow other OSes can live without polluting every pendrive and network file system.
While OS X creates gazzilions of junk files just to remember icon position and tags in folders.
And the worst part is that this is mandatory. Even on remote FS mounted over slow internet.

Trash folder is also misconception. If you delete something on your pendrive and unmount it then it is still there, only in different location.
That causes issues with media players or DLNA servers for example, that scans whole disks and find deleted data in Trash.

You mean banning non-App Store apps? There are apps that simply cannot work in sandboxed system, do you want to get rid of them?

Every app can work in jailed sandbox, you must just prepare sandbox the way application is expecting.
The issue today is, that every application can see EVERY FILE ON YOUR WHOLE FILESYSTEM.
Doesn't matter if it's Server.app or puzzle game.
Every application has access to your configuration files and full access to network so possibilities of malware code injections are endless.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
I am thoroughly sick of Apple bringing out a new OS every 12 months - in terms of how each new OS breaks third party software that I have to pay to upgrade. Why can't Apple just update individual apps, such as Mail and Photos? After all, other developers provide these functions as standalone apps. For a business, it creates havoc for the OS to be updated every 12 months. It would be ok if each OS comes out thoroughly stable, but these new OS versions are riddled with bugs. I realise that Apple is chasing the dollar to tantalise consumers with new features, so there'll be no resolution to this rant.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You sound a bit defensive here.
And you sound a weeny bit a like a grumpy old main.
Yeah, it's plenty stupid. I don't really give Jobs too much credit for everything (unlike this who think he did everything himself), but we can all agree that a company can change under different management. I feel that many of these issues would not have been let by under Jobs' rule. Cook is making Apple into a more arrogant company, and it's shown in their current choices with software and even hardware.
Cook is making Apple into a more arrogant company? May I ask who was the one telling people that they were holding their phone wrong? Apple has become noticeably more open under Cook, you can start with public betas and go on with many more interviews (how many interviews with Apple executives that weren't Jobs happened during the Jobs years?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.