Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
One of the reasons why I'm sticking with Yosemite for however long necessary as I can continue using TotalFinder (or XtraFinder).

What Apple has done to the Finder with El Capitan and third party developers is a disgusting slap to the face of everyone. I get that some people PREFER things differently but my god, make it OPTIONAL in system preferences at least!

Yeah, Apple is hitting their experienced users hard. Steve would not have allowed this. Cook is all about targeting new customers and making even larger profits, so he wants to make sure that the OS is more inviting. He's also responsible low-end Macs turning into complete crap. I know Steve was a business man, but he put his heart into the company and wasn't materialistic. He wouldn't have made such compromises in order to maximize profits.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
What is your explanation for significantly overestimating the measure (longevity of major OS X versions) that your argument that things were better in the past was based on? You felt things were better in the past but overestimated by how much they were better by about a factor of two. Isn't that a textbook case of memory being too generous with the past?
First off, you don't know me and I don't know you. So stop with your bad mouthed, poor attitude comment. That was not needed.
Second, if you disagree...don't comment.
NOW...
My point was the OS X from Steve era was actually better. I haven't seen much bs coming from Steve's days in terms of productivity. The way you are talking demonstrates you never lived that life with os x SL...and before that.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
OSX these days is just getting bread crumbs from iOS, look at the rumor that Siri is coming to OSX after several years of it being on iOS.

The whole iWork dumbing down was to pair it with iOS.

It's a really bad time to be a desktop OS user.
[doublepost=1456457036][/doublepost]
Photos is a turd. Adding "feature improvements" will make it a polished turd.

Systematically killing off professional apps like Aperture and others is a slap in the face to the user base that basically kept Apple alive back in the day.

Hahaha hilarious.

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Hopefully iCloud Photo Sync will start to operate in a timely fashion. I usually have to AirDrop photos I've taken on my iPhone if I want to use them on my Mac any time soon.

Make sure your phone is charging and connected to WiFi.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Photos is a turd. Adding "feature improvements" will make it a polished turd.

Systematically killing off professional apps like Aperture and others is a slap in the face to the user base that basically kept Apple alive back in the day.
I'm glad we have a similar opinion.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Interesting. The biggest thing keeping me out of using iCloud Photo Library is the mess it seems to make of your photos.

Having taken photos on holiday, I like to put the ones I want to keep into an album and delete the rest (clearing my camera roll). When I turned iCloud Photo Library on, my camera roll disappeared and "All Photos" showed me everything - stuff that was in an album, stuff that wasn't. My latest photos from WhatsApp, my latest camera roll photos riiiighhtt the way back to the oldest photo in the oldest album in Photos.

If there was a "unfiled Photos" album. Or a "Camera Roll" album that existed in the cloud (but that I could edit & delete from any iCloud device) that would solve the problem, I'd pay for more iCloud storage and be a very happy camper.

I agree. I am pretty tech savvy but the way the photos are handled on iCloud still confuses me.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
For the same reason they replaced the old Pages, Keynote, and Numbers with gimped versions. Apple wants all their apps to be cross compatible, and they're wiling to throw out functionality to make that possible.

I think they're weaning users off OS X running on Intel: preparing for a switch to ARM-only devices.

Everything points to a future for Apple without Intel: the software changes, Steve saying that Apple needs to own the silicon to make really great hardware, products like the iPad Pro and the MacBook which both run close to low-end Intel performance, Apple being slow to adopt Intel's sluggish updates, advances in ARM performance, etc.

The signs are there for Apple to drop Intel, IMO.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
As an Aperture user since version 2.0 I'd say 'OK, bring it on, but give me back editing functionality in a form of paid extensions'... I don't want to beat the 'Steve wouldn't allow this' drum, but I'm sure he would have at least make sure the transition between these two apps is not as painful

tokajilover

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
Bring "Drag'n Drop" ability to Word and other Programs - Directly out of "Photos" -
without that sh...t to past/copy first on Desktop and then be able to Past/copy it into Word

Reactions: kristoffer4

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Please give me back old iPhoto features like viewing a map with all geolocated photos.

This
I wonder why they ditched that feature. Sometimes it is really handy when you're looking for a picture taken during your vacation and it'd take a moment to find it on a map while it is really hard to remember the moment you shoot it.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Seems to be the new tech trend: remove, complain, add it back, praise, rinse and repeat.

Well, it's more of a "start with a clean slate, question all the things that were in there before, and slowly, thoughtfully put the important ones back in". In the meantime, those happy with the previous software will inevitably be miffed, but at the same time, it attracts new users.

Reactions: manu chao

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
"Siri on the Mac has been a long-desired feature..."

Siri, yo bitch! Can you please instantly kill this rumour please? Thanks! You're not wanted on the Mac!

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Not surprised at the lack of Aperture type features, I fully expect that Apple is just leaving this for third parties to provide via plugins, which is probably a good thing, as a third party dedicated to giving the best possible tools will devote more time to it.

It's a shame that Apple probably won't do it themselves, but not really surprising. I did like Aperture, but lack of development meant it never got quite to where it needed to be in terms of being fully usable. I dislike Adobe and I'm not super fond of Lightroom, but it has all the features I need if I can be bothered finding out where Adobe have hidden them.

bbkr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
My wish list for 10.12:

1. OS X will stop defecating with ._, .Trashes, .fseventsd, .Spotlight-V100 to all pendrives and mounted network file systems! Stop this crap! Seriously!
  2. Ancient HFS+ should be replaced with something modern and more responsive. It would be awesome if they use something like brtfs instead of reinventing the wheel.
  3. Time machine backup is slow and limited. Maybe with modern FS they will be able to make more compact and smarter snapshots.
  4. Increased application security. Running applications in isolated containers. ACL to system resources, and so on.
  5. Tidy up system directories. There is huge mess of unix legacy and own solutions (/home vs /Users, /var/log vs /Application/Server/*/Logs and many more).
  6. Updated OpenGL stack or supported Vulcan API. 2015 was the worst year ever when it comes to AAA games releases on OS X. Looks like no one wants to spend resources for adopting games and applications to Metal or deal with very outdated OpenGL backward compatibility.

But probably new Trash icon will be the biggest change implemented...
[doublepost=1456486669][/doublepost]
I also want Apple to bring back colored icons in finder

Yes! I still use Snow Leopard sometimes on one of my machines and I can click specific position instantly just by seeing color. On current OS X i have to either read descriptions or take a closer look at those monochromatic icons to distinguish them.

arobert3434

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
I too am on the list still using Aperture (for most editing) and iPhoto (for casual browsing / viewing). Sooner or later I'll be forced to move on, but when I do, it may well be to a non-Mac computer.

And, yes, the problem is the lack of Steve Jobs. He was detailed-oriented and perfectionist about the user experience and he drove that attitude down throughout the company. Tim Cook on the other hand is detail-oriented and perfectionist too, but about supply chains and business execution. Apple will continue to scale greater financial heights for a time under his watch, but in terms of intellectual and cultural significance and value, ultimately end as a shadow of its formal self.

Reactions: -hh and colourfastt

morteny

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
I sure there will be added better ways to tidy up the library, like replacing originals with edited photos.

General cleaning up the library is a nightmare!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Someone mentioned 10.12 might be called OSX Fuji. Presumably there's no way they'll caused iOS 10, iOS X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.