Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks. My phone is going crazy though and I can't figure out which thread I am meant to be posting on lol!
[doublepost=1483662526][/doublepost]I've just installed the tvOS update so let's see what happens...
Make sure to also delete the already downloaded update as well (if one has been downloaded already and you haven't deleted it yet).

Reactions: Spectrum

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
This constantly downloading in the background and then pop-up showing that an update is available for install with NO options to say NO.
It has become a routine already: Pop-up > lock phone > unlock phone > pop-up disappears > Go to settings, General, Storage & iCloud Usage, Manage Storage > Delete iOS 10.whatever > Restart phone to get rid of the little red circle with the number in settings icon.
How many times do I have to do this before Apple understands that the update is NOT WANTED?!
This is like having someone constantly breaking into your house to poop on the floor and then asks you do you want the poop to be thrown up to the fan.
[doublepost=1483658685][/doublepost]
Reason is very simple:
NoDelay64-02.png
yeah but you're going to have to upgrade at some point. Why delay it? Your current phone is going to break etc. You can't use an iPhone 6 in 2027.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
yeah but you're going to have to upgrade at some point. Why delay it? Your current phone is going to break etc. You can't use an iPhone 6 in 2027.

This isn't exactly the same thing, but my family regularly still use the original iPad. The battery life is amazing on it considering it is so old.

mxteach

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017
Have you ever met a person who tried to resist? They tend to be angry with Apple with all the Upgrade Now alerts. Then they give in.
That was me. i didnt want to update but the ridiculous spamming and no opt out annoyed me til i gave in......

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Done...
...but I now have a "feedback" app installed on my home page. What is it?
It's an app to report issues back to Apple. You can see if you can delete it, or just put it in some folder like we all basically do with various Apple apps that we don't care about (and can't remove).

Vorkeyjones

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2016
Considering Apple bombard anyone not using the latest iOS with update messages, it's not really a surprise they have such high adoption rates.

Reactions: apolloa

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am running iOS 6.1.3 on my 4S and I will never "upgrade". I put in a lot of effort to revert back to iOS 6 but it was worth it.
No FaceTime though, right? And I'm guessing quite a few apps are not ones you can get anymore or aren't really working?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No FaceTime though, right? And I'm guessing quite a few apps are not ones you can get anymore or aren't really working?
My son bought a 3GS on ebay running IOS 5.x. I was playing around with it and while it brought back some fond memories, imo, I marvel at how far IOS has come since then and really appreciate IOS 10 on my 6s after that. Not due to the hardware upgrade, but due to the way IOS has evolved over the last few years. But to each their own.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I'm still running iOS 9 on my iPad Pro and will likely keep it that way (I just delete the update). I've no issues with iOS 10's performance on the 6S Plus, but my battery life and standby times have taken considerable hits since upgrading. Great battery life is one of the things I love about iOS.. or at least I did before iOS 10.

Last edited:

nextuser

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016

You're right, but I'm not really the average user, I don't use most apps, I hate Facebook Instagram Snapchat etc. Most important thing for me is the music app and ssh access. I really don't like how they changed the music app in later versions

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
It is interesting that Apple acknowledged the problem on the 6s but never did with any other version. I know plenty of people who had this issue on the 6 as well before iOS 10 came out.

My guess is they're dealing with two issues. One being the hardware one found in 6s, or at least acknowledged, and then the software one that is plaguing almost all version of the iPhone where the phone randomly shuts off, in particular around the 30% battery level then magically revived once plugged in. I have it happen anywhere from 7% to 42% but as I said, it happens mostly around the 30% mark.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My guess is they're dealing with two issues. One being the hardware one found in 6s, or at least acknowledged, and then the software one that is plaguing almost all version of the iPhone where the phone randomly shuts off, in particular around the 30% battery level then magically revived once plugged in. I have it happen anywhere from 7% to 42% but as I said, it happens mostly around the 30% mark.
I haven't seen the shut off issues on my 6s, and I've let the battery drain pretty far down to 10%. I wonder if it's a combination of the chip and battery. I think I have the tmsc chip. Also my 6s has a serial number in the recall range.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Yep..

I had no choice since i got new phones/tablets.... I should think about upgrading parents on 5c.. They'll still on iOS 9.3.5

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
eh, actually nope.
My 6s is perfectly fine other than the darn battery issue where I am bringing the cord with me all the time now.
With the way Apple screwing things around now, I may not want to keep the iPhone in September when the 6s is paid off.
And then Apple may not last all the way to 2027 since Steve is not here to save it again.
[doublepost=1483679487][/doublepost]
Seems kind of questionable to download something AND install on the phone...
:eek:
Given that I did not even want to jailbreak the phone...

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
So 76% of Apple's users successfully fell prey to Apple's planned obsolescence

Perhaps you should do some research before regurgitating things you've heard..

Bear in mind this phone will be five years old this year. The fact that it's still receiving updates is one thing, and the fact that these updates are actually speeding up the device makes it even more remarkable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
eh, actually nope.
My 6s is perfectly fine other than the darn battery issue where I am bringing the cord with me all the time now.
With the way Apple screwing things around now, I may not want to keep the iPhone in September when the 6s is paid off.
And then Apple may not last all the way to 2027 since Steve is not here to save it again.
[doublepost=1483679487][/doublepost]
Seems kind of questionable to download something AND install on the phone...
:eek:
Given that I did not even want to jailbreak the phone...
Just a tvOS profile from Apple, same as what people use for the public beta program (as that's where it comes from). Safe as it's basically been in use by many that do public betas for a while now since Apple introduced them to the public.

Essentially simply changes what updates from Apple can be pushed to the device and nothing else, and can be easily removed if/when needed without affecting anything else.
[doublepost=1483685825][/doublepost]
So 76% of Apple's users successfully fell prey to Apple's planned obsolescence
All that has already been brought up and addressed earlier in the thread.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
hmm, i wonder what caused this 13% to update...

Because the notifications were getting SUPER annoying.

I regretfully hate myself for installing iOS 10 so so so so much.

Messages, Control Center, and Music are all major components of iOS and they are much worse.

Hoping iOS 11 will clean up or I'm leaving the iPhone for a OnePlus

Reactions: Juicy Box and Altis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.