Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unlike on Android, we don't have access to the file system on iOS, then how do we remove it?
[doublepost=1483822481][/doublepost]
It is one of the defect ones, but Apple forces me to install iOS 10 on it before it gets fixed. That is very unacceptable when it is a hardware defect and I have to get an OS that I do not want as the end user.
Through options that iOS provides: Settings > General > Profiles

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Why don't those who keep getting reminders to update just ignore them and delete the update files in storage settings?
Never see it again....bliss.
Because it KEEPS GETTING AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOADED!

I never ask for the download. I never install it. I always delete it. And BOOM! Next day: "would you like to install the update that was just downloaded to your phone (again) using your local wifi network without your consent?"

I honestly think this practice is criminal by Apple. They have no right to push my phone to hijack my local network and download a 2GB update every night. It is plain wrong, and should be outlawed.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Because it KEEPS GETTING AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOADED!

I never ask for the download. I never install it. I always delete it. And BOOM! Next day: "would you like to install the update that was just downloaded to your phone (again) using your local wifi network without your consent?"

I honestly think this practice is criminal by Apple. They have no right to push my phone to hijack my local network and download a 2GB update every night. It is plain wrong, and should be outlawed.

There is a trick I resorted to to force Apple NOT to download the update.Download Memory and Disk scanner from the App Store and use the one click button to let it fill your space till 60MB or so are left and then quickly press cancel before it forces the OS to clean your cache and junk files. Then it won't automatically download updates as there is no space to download it.Any time you want more space use the one click button again to regain your lost space

Of course you still have to deal with that annoying badge but even if you do press the download button on the prompt by mistake it won't be able to download the update anyway

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Am I missing something here, I can switch of Updates in iTunes & App Stores, or do you still get those messages then.
I am always on the latest betas so I never see these messages.

thats app updates not iOS.

the answer is the you are on the betas. every time your phone checks the server it will get told you are already up to date cause the betas are ahead of the public

Reactions: justperry

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Bite the bullet and did 10.2 on both my iPad Mini 2, iPhone 7 and iPhone 5C! Run better then I expected overall! No crashes too! I only use two tabs for browsing since earlier models have only one GB RAM inside them!

Reactions: rcappo and urtules

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It amuses me sometimes when people complain of 'planned obsolescence' in the context of iOS updates. It's entirely obvious that, over time, all software places a larger burden on the hardware on which it runs. It gets more complex. Features are added. Graphical fidelity improves./QUOTE]

thats total BS. stop trying to convince folks of that **** to cover up the real truth that Apple is intentionally breaking things so you have to buy new hardware. and don't tell me its not true. I read it on the Interwebs and they are never wrong
[doublepost=1483859372][/doublepost]
I'm still running iOS 9 on my iPad Pro and will likely keep it that way (I just delete the update).

I updated my Pro to 10 as soon as it came out and zero problems. the only reason why i haven't upgraded my iPad Mini is because I need to keep the ability to do screen shots of iTunes video files on the iPad and they cut that on iOS 10.

so clearly all these claims of iOS 10 being ***** aren't as simple as it sounds. otherwise we would all be having the same issues.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
That's possibly the worst piece of quoting ever.

You might try reading your post next time. Both before and after submitting :D

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
SMH @ mobile OSes flame wars in this thread. At least with OS X v Windows, Mac users conceded that we already lost but enjoy whichever desktop platform we prefer anyway.

I'm an Android guy because I need my microSD slot, customizable launchers/homescreens, torrent apps, and folder system although a jailbroken iOS device can suffice. Switching from Windows to OS X is the greatest tech decision I made and anybody coming from the winning side can make. OS X is just so stable and fast. Ditch your Windows PC and buy a Mac ASAP!

Apple don't make the best smartphones for me. I wasn't even a huge fan of their iPods during their heyday. But they do make the best computers and tablets in the world.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Sure, you keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, 97 pages of people say otherwise myself included.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7720595?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks for this. People saying Apple Support acknowledged this problem and their "engineering team is working on an update to resolve the problem".

Repair program that the USER pays for. Did you read it?

Yes I did. They say the issue appear on some devices after you drop them. Accidentally damage is not covered by warranty. However I do agree with you here partially, they could address this better. You saying they ignoring problem completely which is not true.

You essentially don't have a choice because your phone becomes ransomware.

Yes it's annoying, but ransomwere is not appropriate word here.

I'm as iOS Developer happy they pushing people to update, dropping old versions support saves me huge amount of development time because every year Apple improves their SDK and tools. Because of this I can allow myself more time improving products I'm working on.

Photo's taken by the Pixel are better than the iPhone, at least that's was plenty of knowledgable people say, so the camera itself isn't in question. So my family photos are as close to real life colors.

Both iPhone 7, Pixel and latest Samsung phone have great cameras. They also make very different pictures so it's becomes matter of taste and everyone has different taste.

However only iPhone 7 Camera has Wide Color support, the same is true for display. BTW when you compare photos taken on iPhone 7 to Pixel on the screen which does not support Wide Color, photos from iPhone 7 look washed up compare to photos taken on Pixel.

And really what's the point of backing up your phone? If you're apps are any good they're backing the data up for you on their servers or a provider of your choice.

In iOS a lots of things happens locally because you can't rely on internet and I personally have very limited data plan. Things like Health database, preferences and settings. Lots of apps don't have server component at all and it makes them very powerful, remember that server costs is not free. You also need to think about backing up pictures and video you have on your device.

Drewyboy, please don't get me wrong. I don't care what phone you going to buy. Go and use whatever you want. I'm just writing this because I don't like when people misunderstand Apple actions.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I updated my iPhone 6 Plus from iOS 8 to iOS 10 and it works just fine with no problems.

I updated my iPad mini 4 and it works, but I don't like what they did to the music app when in landscape mode.

I wish they would update the Maps app to include a basic off-line world map. Increase the size by 300MB or so.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What iPad Mini are you using. My iPad Mini 4 has never had any issues with lag?

Roland
iPad Mini 2

The lag is not as bad as it was with the first iOS 10, but even with the lasted iOS update, it still lags, especially on Safari.

The lag is really noticeable while typing in stuff too.

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
Any Iphone 5 users should avoid the update, as it causes typical usage glitches when using text messenger, notes, etc. The issue being that the texting app has new features which overtax the processing speed of the iphone 5. Most notably when the user is typing the name of someone to receive their text, the autofill will have a delay so significant that the drop down menu will continue to update while the user is selecting an autofill option, causing the user to select the wrong person and repeat the process. In my opinion the new features should not be available on all devices if they are going to significantly influence the performance speed of the existing features of the device.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
[doublepost=1483859372][/doublepost]

I updated my Pro to 10 as soon as it came out and zero problems. the only reason why i haven't upgraded my iPad Mini is because I need to keep the ability to do screen shots of iTunes video files on the iPad and they cut that on iOS 10.

so clearly all these claims of iOS 10 being ***** aren't as simple as it sounds. otherwise we would all be having the same issues.

I can't think of any major bugs or software lag that I've personally encountered on iOS 10, so I didn't claim it was crap. My issues are with the decreased battery life and standby drain. My battery life still isn't terrible (and it shouldn't be for a phone that's only a little over a year old), but I'm being picky because Apple set the bar high, and their products have always done very well for me in this department until now.

I guess I do have a few other nags about iOS 10.. like removing the "Trash All" option in the junk mail folder of the Mail app. Why they would take this feature away and force people to select every single junk message is beyond me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.