Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If a device takes 3 seconds just to open settings its unusable in my book.

Another option is to allow us to downgrade anytime we want just like how it is on Google Pixel.Android does not need OS updates to recieve new APIs as its done via pplay services and not OS Updates so the device does not slow down.This is the reason why my Nexus 7 2012 remained fast till today while my iPad 2 from 2011 became garbage on iOS 9

And this "little" adds up to being an atrociously slow device after afew years.Are you telling me the iPhone 5 and iPad 2 cannot handle opening the keyboard and reading the keystrokes after I tap the screen?Because on my iPad it took 5 seconds just to catch up to input.My iPhone 6 has stutters in the mobile data screen,the app switcher and even scrolling iMessage all of which it used to do perfectly on iOS 8

Solution=Offer downgrade option.I use it all on the time on Android.I use it all the time while updating my PC drivers.I

I cant because not even Apple provides to its users what you currently stated.Device does becomes slow over time and the older devices dont get all the new features provided by the latest OS.People bash Android for no updates but if they actually took the time to compare what older iOS devices get through OS updates and what the stock apps get through the PLay Store,there is ABSOLUTELY no difference between the two
[doublepost=1483709181][/doublepost]
This video is trustworthy because proof of planned obsolescence was ironically posted by an Apple channel
[doublepost=1483709362][/doublepost]
This happens to my Mom Every.single.time. That red badge is the cause.It lures unsuspecting customers into contributing to Apple's marketing chart just so that Timmy can compare Android's chart to iOS in a completely false comparison and crack a pathetic joke which isnt even funny

Apple I DO NOT want to update my old device.Is that too much to ask?
Nope, video is not trustworthy, you yourself has said so in multiple previous posts. Videos can be manipulated, etc. at any rate, when a video supports some fallacious logic it's trustworthy, other than that it's not. Thankfully there are multiple choice for smartphone consumers.

Last edited:

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I updated following devices (mine and family) to iOS 10 and don't have major issues except one: my iPad Air 2 1-2 times a month in portrait or landscape mode, I just need lock - unlock it to workaround this bug.

* iPad Air 2
* iPhone 6s
* Two iPhone 5s
* iPhone 5
* iPad mini

Of course there's minor slowdowns on older hardware (5s and below) but new features like:

* new Moments in Photos and other features like search
* better Music app
* smarter Mail
* better Maps
* amazing Messages features
* smarter keyboard
* new widgets which i can't live without (Activity, Fantastical and Carrot Weather)
* better Lock Screen experience
* better Camera UI
* Phone extensions including spam blocking

Plus security fixes which worth to update alone.

Overall I experience less crashes, no reboots and battery life is perfect. Many iOS 9 bugs are fixed in iOS 10 but people never give credit for this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not installing BETA software thanks.
Or is it not BETA software?
It's not installing any beta software or any software at all. Simply tells the device to look for OS updates in a different location at Apple where no compatible updates would be found for the device and thus no updates would be automatically downloaded or offered otherwise.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I have an old iPad 2 limping along on iOS 9 that still sees everyday use. I wonder how many others are part of that category.

If I understand correctly, Apple reports on machines that are able to run iOS 10 - Not the actual installed base. There are a heck tonne of iPad 2's iPad Mini 1's and iPad 3's which are stuck on iOS 9 out in the wild. I'd estimate on the data I've seen that about 35 percent of the installed iPad base are A5 based iPads.

Reactions: machpost

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I felt so appalled by iOS 10's flaws, I tried to keep it off my iPhone 6 for as long as I possibly could. But then I got a new iPhone 6S last November, it came with 10 preinstalled and iTunes would not validate the 9.3.5 ipsw file anymore. And so, I'm stuck with this lemon while Apple has one more device to round up its 76% metric :(
Lemon? There's something off about the device itself that you have?

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
So it's more that you just don't like it than it not actually working.

It hasn't bricked my device, if that's what you mean. But it hasn't improved basic usability compared to iOS 9 either, and it's just poor UX through and through. I would have gone back to 9 in a heartbeat, if only Apple hadn't stopped digitally signing it last October.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Why would anyone not want to upgrade?
unless you have ancient iphone, which you should upgrade and enjoy life's modern technology

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
unless you have ancient iphone, which you should upgrade and enjoy life's modern technology
Wouldn't exactly call my iPod Touch 5th Generation "ancient" but not complaining about being stuck on iOS 9.3.5. I'm sure iPods weren't included in the stats.

Reactions: PR1985

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005

Uh, because people should be able to do as they please with their device. They should not be strong armed into OS updates which is exactly what Apple does. It's almost on part with MS automatically updating to W10.

Edit: I've seen you've taken to Apple's stance of shaming people for not buy a $700 device every 2 years. Pathetic.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
For all those who complain about updates: Bugfixes, SECURITY!, new features ( I can type in two languages at once, I can use the camera from the lock screen and when I close it, it is closed! Not how it worked till iOS 9 where the camera app has not been shut down, as it should be. IOS 10.2 on all of our devices. Everything is just fine apart from my iPhone 6 battery life. Release an update Apple!

A little advice, for those running iOS 10: Cancel all the apps where the message, under iOS 10, pops up, that this app may slow down your device. I started, slowly, to clean up my device because I need some space.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Uh, because people should be able to do as they please with their device. They should not be strong armed into OS updates which is exactly what Apple does. It's almost on part with MS automatically updating to W10.

Edit: I've seen you've taken to Apple's stance of shaming people for not buy a $700 device every 2 years. Pathetic.
The thing is if you want to do what you want with your device, android will let you.

jujufreeze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2016
Have you ever met a person who tried to resist? They tend to be angry with Apple with all the Upgrade Now alerts. Then they give in.

Tell me about it. After the Windows 10 (update or die) fiasco in the media I'm surprised Apple is let off the hook with their constant bombardment of annoyances. From itunes/icloud update/sign in reminders to nail on chalkboard ios 10.- whatever upgrade alerts.

Last edited:

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
The thing is if you want to do what you want with your device, android will let you.

Sadly, that looks like where I'll probably be going next fall. Google Pixel was put together in 9 months. I'm very interested to see what they can do with the base platform of the pixel and 12 months for the Pixel 2. If apple just pumps out the 4th version of the iPhone 6, we're done.

Reactions: I7guy

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I find the inconsistency between users' experiences of the different iOS versions to be interesting.

I have not used iOS 10 that much because it crippled my iPad Mini 2, but many people are posting that this is working great on their devices and just as many people are posting similar issues to my iPad Mini 2.

On my iPhone 6s Plus, and the Mini, I thought iOS 9 was one of the buggiest, crappiest iOS versions until the one of the last revisions. But, many other people liked it from the beginning.

I found that iOS 8 ran wonderfully on my iPhone 5s and 4s, and my iPad Mini, while many people are posting their frustrations with it.

I am not sure if users' iOS experiences are based on the device, how that device is used, or just subjective interpretation, but it seems like the inconsistency with iOS experiences is incredibly high. Maybe it is a combination of many variables.

Reactions: vjl323 and PR1985

sirjorj

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
iOS 10 is why I paid the early termination fee and upgraded to a flip phone - best decision I have made in a long time. If a company makes an interesting smartphone again, I will consider it.
Android is not an option - I do NOT trust google.
Apple is dead - what remains is Cook-Run Apple (aka, CRApple).
Windows is improving, but is still terrible for developers.
I have been running OpenBSD on a laptop and really been enjoying it. This is looking to become my new daily driver.

I'd love to go back to Snow Leopard (but with LLVM) and iOS 6. Those were the days...

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'd love to go back to Snow Leopard (but with LLVM) and iOS 6. Those were the days...

I loved how stable 10.6 was. I thought it was the best overall OSX. Probably tiger or mountain lion after that. I think OSX went down hill after 10.8, but it could be worse.

I remember iOS 6 being nice. I was annoyed that my original iPad couldn't upgrade to it.

sirjorj

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
I loved how stable 10.6 was. I thought it was the best overall OSX. Probably tiger or mountain lion after that. I think OSX went down hill after 10.8, but it could be worse.

I would consider Lion and Mountain Lion part of the downward trend just because they lost the ability to watch video at fullscreen on one display while working on the other. That was an unacceptable oversight that took 2 years to fix.

Reactions: Juicy Box

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If I understand correctly, Apple reports on machines that are able to run iOS 10 - Not the actual installed base. There are a heck tonne of iPad 2's iPad Mini 1's and iPad 3's which are stuck on iOS 9 out in the wild. I'd estimate on the data I've seen that about 35 percent of the installed iPad base are A5 based iPads.
Is that really how those stats are gathered? It seems that it's just based on any active iOS device that visits the App Store during that time period.
[doublepost=1483730343][/doublepost]
iOS 10 is why I paid the early termination fee and upgraded to a flip phone - best decision I have made in a long time. If a company makes an interesting smartphone again, I will consider it.
Android is not an option - I do NOT trust google.
Apple is dead - what remains is Cook-Run Apple (aka, CRApple).
Windows is improving, but is still terrible for developers.
I have been running OpenBSD on a laptop and really been enjoying it. This is looking to become my new daily driver.

I believe telegraph might be in use somewhere these days as well.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I would consider Lion and Mountain Lion part of the downward trend just because they lost the ability to watch video at fullscreen on one display while working on the other. That was an unacceptable oversight that took 2 years to fix.

Maybe I wouldn't rank ML so high it is just that I ranked Maverick much more lower.

It seems like the Mac OS had a noticeable decline once Apple stopped charging for it. Snow Leopard was the last great OS imo.

Who knows, Apple may turn it around.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You do know what AT&T stands for, right? ;)
[doublepost=1483730730][/doublepost]

That is an excellent point. I had never linked the decline to the price. Interesting thought...
Technically speaking today's company that is known as AT&T doesn't quite have that meaning in its name as it's not even quite the original American Telephone and Telegraph nor has that as part of or its full name.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
If apple just pumps out the 4th version of the iPhone 6, we're done.

iPhone 7 is amazing update: the best chip, larger battery, optical image stabilisation, wide colour brighter screen, water resistance, twice storage space and flash speed, Stereo speakers,new Jet Black finish which adds grippiness and alllows to use it without a case also looks like nothing before.

Google Pixel has poor colour accuracy because of OLED, doesn't have optical stabilisation, no wide colours. This is just hardware and let's not talk about software where Google is 4 years behind with their OS security. https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2016/11/24/android-n-encryption/

Just because iPhone 7 has the same case shape don't make it lesser device. It just desire of getting something new, completely irrational. I can understand this for the average consumer but if you read this site and find time to write here I expected you to be more reasonable.

Reactions: I7guy

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Just because iPhone 7 has the same case shape don't make it lesser device.

This is just my opinion, but the iPhone 6, 6s, 7 design has been Apple worse iPhone design yet. Compare it to the 4 and 4s, which I think is the most beautiful and unique phone design, and not just iPhone.

The iPhone 6 model looks like every other phone out there. I honestly thought it was an Android phone when I first saw it.

Besides the design, the best features are reserved for the plus model, which totally sucks.

So, I agree with the person you quoted, if the next iPhone is just another version of the 6, then I am done with them too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.