Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I've never seen so many impassioned reactions to such a trivial, nothing issue.
Get a life people.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I've never seen so many impassioned reactions to such a trivial, nothing issue.
Get a life people.

This is MacRumors. Impassioned reactions to trivial things is what it's all about. Now, if you had a life you wouldn't have read through all those impassioned reactions just to make one of your own. ;)

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
376 positives to 9 negatives. I think the people have spoken. 100% support. (And nine people who were presumably trying to press 'positive' with their pudgy digits on mobile Safari but missed.)

jeffmetanna

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
So I upgraded my iPad to iOS 4.3 beta 1 and it's now bricked as I'm not a registered dev. I can't even downgrade to 4.2 since downgrading is not allowed. Is it too late to register to become a dev and get my iPad working again? You need to know your device's UDID when you're signing up, right?

ipodtouch-user

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
About time

Could it be that Apple is actually now listening to its customer base, and responding accordingly. Let's hope so -- that would be a welcome change.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Now..can we get some arrow keys!?!

Steve Jobs listened to my email!

Haha. I sent him a message about the new mute/lock switch which seemed redundant since a mute option was already located 1 centimeter from the new mute switch. I used the old rotation lock a lot. Glad to see it may be back soon.

Ditto to the email to Apple. This was a no brainier.

Now gives some dang arrow keys and I will feel that I truly have a computer replacement. The lack of arrow keys drives me bananas!

And while you are at it, can you make the iphone keyboard the same as the iPad!?!

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I guess Steve got tired of:

double clicking on the home button,
swiping to the right,
clicking on the lock button,
and then clicking on the home button again.

Don't blame him!

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
What a happy surprise. It was something I could've gotten used to, but definitely nice to know Apple listened to their users and made this right.

I'm looking forward to getting it back with this next update.

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are also a new feature in messages settings. Now you can set how many times the message alert has to repeat.

lobsterkatie

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Now if they could please explain to me why I can only lock the iPhone in portrait mode...

Seriously. I've never been able to understand that. Please, Steve? I can't help but think it would take about 5 seconds of coding...

(And yes, I know, I could jailbreak, but I don't want to have to just for this, which Apple could/should do.)

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Terrific news. The swipe bar control is a real pain.

Any indication of when 4.3 might be released? I don't know what the timeframe is typically from beta to release.

TrickyTree1984

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Uk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Stanners said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh please let this come to the iPhone too. I never turn off mute but I'm always having to double tap - swipe - tap to get rotation lock. Lame!

Also I would love to be able to permanently lock certain apps such as SMS.

No please don't. The mute switch is much more useful on the iPhone that it would be on the iPad. For example, when I need to mute the phone in a lesson at college. I hardly (if ever) use Orientation Lock on my iPhone anyway.

So leave yours as is. I want the OPTION

litchie

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Now when you set the switch to lock orientation the other switch in the multitasking bar changes to mute.

I rarely used that bar. Rotation lock is frequently used before; but after they used it for mute, I suffer a lot pain, still never want to double click home button.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
i actually suggested this exact same idea via Apple's Feedback page. I said the user should have the choice of what functionality they prefer for this button. Wish I had kept a copy of my suggestion as I didn't log it via the Apple Bug Reporter. I basically said changing the functionality of the Orientation Lock button to permanently become a mute button would not suit everyone as people do prefer choice. I also put the suggestion forward for the SMS Character Counter as proven here via the Apple Bug Reporter back when iPhone OS 3 was released.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Wow. A user configurable option for hardware switch from Apple? I'm starting to think this 4.3 is some hackers doing and not really from Apple...;)

Honestly I thought it was great that it was turned into a mute switch, keeping the hardware in line with the iPhone. No reason for it to be lock switch. Never made any sense, wasn't ever necessary.

Now you'll have the option in due time, so you can all shut up about it.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
For the love of god, bring it back!

Muahaha. I knew the issue of the lock button wouldn't go away that easily. You have no idea how much i miss that. I'm in the group of people that used that switch to lock the iPad all the time.

Using the software lock isn't too terribly difficult but let's face it, the hardware switch is just sooo easy. *flick* and you're done
If Apple has a conscious, then please, let's the user choose! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.