Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Good, sensible decision if it holds. Should have been optional in 4.2 IMHO.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Wow, you're seriously complaining about having this choice?

That's just sad.
It's a very minor inconvenience but a small disadvantage that very few people ever consider. There are lots of similar situations, e.g., explaining to people what double-clicking the Home button on their iPhone means.

Here's a scary analogy. Suppose we all had a choice of cars, some with the brake pedal to the left of the gas, and some with them reversed. Do you think the results would be good? Luckily, pressing lock when you mean mute won't cause any deaths!

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
WPA only as far as I can see.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/pdf/iPad_Security_Overview.pdf

Make sure you're back end is set up correctly.

WPA/WPA2
iPad supports WPA2 Enterprise to provide authenticated access to your enterprise wireless network. WPA2 Enterprise uses 128-bit AES encryption, giving users the highest level of assurance that their data will remain protected when they send and receive communications over a Wi-Fi network connection. And with support for 802.1x, iPad can be integrated into a broad range of RADIUS authentication environments.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
It's a very minor inconvenience but a small disadvantage that very few people ever consider. There are lots of similar situations, e.g., explaining to people what double-clicking the Home button on their iPhone means.

Here's a scary analogy. Suppose we all had a choice of cars, some with the brake pedal to the left of the gas, and some with them reversed. Do you think the results would be good? Luckily, pressing lock when you mean mute won't cause any deaths!

Hmm, Not sure you can correlate the two. It's a switch with a software option. Even cars have options. Fords have key entry, keyless entry, and numberic pad entry. I set up my entrtainment system with my logitech remote. I'm pretty sure it is completely different than my neighbords system. Is that wrong? No it's about choosing whats best for you. If you're smart enough to teach, you're smart enough to know the lock switch can go ONE of TWO ways. Let's not blow this out of perspective. Options are usually a good thing.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
choice is good. I have no use for this but glad others have their way.

so will 4.2 launch febuary 10th with the cdma iphone?
or will it launch later in march, and unify the cdma and gsm phones

can anyone tell if the cdma drivers are in this developer seed?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
This is one of only three real complaints I have with the iPad... and the only one I've been so motivated to send an email to Apple about.

At the sight of this headline I almost jumped out of my seat and raced so fast to hit the "positive" I accidently hit the "negative". Holy crap.

The other two are

1. The ugliness of splitting the screen in half to reveal folder contents, and all that double clicking and scrolling around between screens.

2. Open up the freakin usb already. It's a portable device, which means any amount of the time, we're not going to be standing right next to our wireless access points. Forcing all apps to use wifi for connectivity means 1 your user experience is only as good as your connection, 2, a lot more network congestion, & 3, a lot of novices not being able to figure out networking & using the more impressive apps. Clean it up. Having to use file sharing and VNC over wifi is a little dumb when the iPad is right next to the MBP you're working on.

TimmyDee

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Finally! I submitted a snarky bug report to Apple about this when 4.2 first came out. Probably not my doing, but you can thank me anyway. :D

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008

Actually, that's a pretty ****** analogy. This choice benefits the majority of people, while having a possibly negative effect on a very minute niche of specific scenarios, as the one you mentioned. In which case, you can spend an extra 5 seconds explaining to them that they can switch between 2 options in the settings, a rather benign inconvenience I might say.

No, your analogy isn't scary, it's just completely irrelevant and off-base.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
When Steve Jobs first gave that message, I wondered if it would later become a clear instance of him changing his mind! (Not that Apple, and Jobs himself, have never done that before. They have.)

I still don’t know which I’d prefer (no iPad here yet) but I’ll definitely like having both.

Maybe after all these months he finally had time to read a book in iBooks....

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The multi-tasking gestures in that screenshot are more exciting. That's some new hotness there. Gizmodo has video of it.

http://gizmodo.com/5732010/ios-43-gives-ipad-four-and-five-finger-multi+touch-gesture-support

The new gestures will be awesome. They look very natural (as opposed to using the physical home button) and are similar to their implementation in Snow Leopard.

If in had to choose features, I'd take the new gestures over the lock switch option any day. Although, having the orientation lock back on the switch will be very welcome (it'll be the first thing I do after installing 4.3 :) ).

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Out of curiosity

I wonder what could be included in future iOS versions? Guess I'm not imaginative enough but it seems 4.3 has just about all the features I could think of at the moment. AVRCP is finally in iOS 4.X AirPlay is great, and now AirPlay works through third party applications and I'm sure iOS App's may be allowed on the AppleTV. What next? Curious about anyone's ideas.

css1323

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I'm very surprised to see that Apple actually listened to the iPad owners out there.

This looks really good. Plus all the new gestures? I'm actually amazed they would incorporate that. Sweet!

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
The thing about iOS 4 that annoys me the most is the lame implementation of multi-tasking. I as excited that multi-tasking came to iOS, however it needs some serious work.

:apple: how about having a physical button or switch for multi-tasking and leave the home button function previous to iOS 4.

How about this, pressing a physical button or switch will bring up a full screen page to show all the apps running, rather then the present only 4 at a time and a better quite or kill option for the apps running would be appreciated. :)

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Pretty funny. :)

Attachments

• 165056-ipad_4_3_switch_500-1.jpg
    165056-ipad_4_3_switch_500-1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 84

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
I'd like an option for the slide switch on the iPhone as well...specifically a dock profile. When in mute, have the option to have it muted when not in the dock or charging and audible when in the dock or charging. I always keep my iPhone on vibrate, but miss calls when it's docked and I'm out of my bedroom.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
BBBUTTT WAIT APPLE DOESNT WANT YOU TO HAVE CHOICE> YOU ONLY GET THAT WITH ANDROID.:rolleyes:

/sarcasm

To be fair I think it is something many companies could work on. Not so familiar with Android but I just don't really appreciate how restrictive companies can be in giving users some basic choices. What was the issue with simply letting the user have the choice in the first place? Again I'm not slating Apple specifically; many other companies do the same bizarre things and I still don't understand why - other than laziness. But even then it is not very difficult nor time consuming to implement a choice function when the actual functions have already been created.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.