Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
I'm hoping for live tiles similar to Windows Phone. I know that they won't add widgets, but live tiles will serve the same purpose.

I'd also like larger folders and some sort of quick reply for messages so that I don't have to stop what I'm doing and open the Messages app.

I personally despise the look of live tiles and I wouldn't be able to stand using a Windows phone or Windows 8. Why not just use a Windows phone if you want that?

I do agree with the second half though.

Last edited:

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
My top things would be..

Completely redesigned SMS app..
iPod streaming lyrics (like soundhound)
Visual voice mail upgrades
Contact menu updated with pictures
Toggles in notification center
New email app
New way to scroll back through words for editing(circle thing sucks)

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I personally despise the look of live tiles and I wouldn't be able to stand using a Windows phone or Windows 8. Why not just use a Windows phone if you want that?

I do agree with the second half though.

Not live tiles in the exact Windows Phone sense, more in an iOS way. For example, I'd like my weather app to show the current temperature instead of 73 degrees and sunny all the time.

EBreakingWave

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
uk
Make Notification Center sync with its self.
Annoying when you have it on 3 devices you have to manually clear it off each device everytime you've read it on 1 device :p

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Not live tiles in the exact Windows Phone sense, more in an iOS way. For example, I'd like my weather app to show the current temperature instead of 73 degrees and sunny all the time.

Ok I see what you mean. I agree I've always thought it'd be cool if the clock app would show the actual time. They make the Calendar app do that, why not?

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Another little thing that would be kinda cool and maybe handy.... if in the settings 'app', you had the hidden search box so you could filter out the settings. Like on OS X.

Could help a lot of people.

Laai

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
Needs total UI refresh.

This.

I honestly do believe that average smartphone user is educated enough to be able to deal with a more complex UI. And by educated I mean "has used a smartphone and the technologies in it long enough to have learned a thing or two".

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
This.

I honestly do believe that average smartphone user is educated enough to be able to deal with a more complex UI. And by educated I mean "has used a smartphone and the technologies in it long enough to have learned a thing or two".

It doesn't need a more complex UI, it needs more advanced features.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Tight integration with other services: Dropbox, Flickr, Evernote.

No more skeumorph designs.

Ability to remove Apple default apps.

Ability to set default apps for such things as camera, browser, mail, including the lock screen.

Multi user accounts on the iPad, with individual Apple ID's.

Side by Side feature for apps on iPad.

NFC (wallet and mobile to mobile syncing)

Party mode for Facetime (me, my mom, and sister who all live in different cities,all on our devices chatting for example)

Last edited:

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
???

Kill the lock screen. That's useless. And make homescreen with large clock and live weather app and launch pad.

But I like the lock screen

----------
NEW. UI. !!

I'm so tired of the same home screen every day for the past year and a half I could about barf. lol first world problems

Last edited:

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
2 is better than 1

It doesn't need a more complex UI, it needs more advanced features.

I think it needs both.

----------

Tight integration with other services: Dropbox, Flickr, Evernote.

Ability to remove Apple default apps.

Ability to set default apps for such things as camera, browser, mail, including the lock screen.

Multi user accounts on the iPad, with individual Apple ID's.

Side by Side feature for apps on iPad.

NFC (wallet and mobile to mobile syncing)

Party mode for Facetime (me, my mom, and sister who all live in different cities,all on our devices chatting for example)

I completely agree :apple:

Last edited:

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney

Is Skeumorphic design that is the problem or bad design that just happens to be Skeumorphic?

You wouldn't want bad non-skeumorphic design either right?

Also curious do you want Finder on your iOS device?
Sure Finder was a great thing 20years ago but in many ways it's also the most anachronistic skeumorphic design idea possible.

To me bad design is bad design, and good design is good design. Skeumorhpic or otherwise. There are many instances in iOS of bad or dated very quickly design that really could be overhauled, but i wouldn't rule out a particular design track because it was over used by people who didn't know better.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I just want a UI refresh. It looks terribly dated. My iPhone 2G (1.1.4 with installer) with the suave theme looks better than my iPad on iOS 6. Btw it could be a little more stable I've noticed a few crashes on Safari but mostly in Mail.

And native file support would be great, specially if it had some kind of dropbox support.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Is Skeumorphic design that is the problem or bad design that just happens to be Skeumorphic?

For my part, it would be the latter. I'm happy to see familiar analogies used to make functionality more predictable.

But I think most people would agree, that more recently, Apple has made a few design choices that clearly takes skeumorphic design to an extreme that actually makes the app less functional and harder to use. Specifically the Podcast app is pretty strange and remarkably inconsistent from the rest of iOS.

Now that orthodox skeumorphic enthusiast Forstall is gone, I'm pretty sure things are changing over in Cupertino. For the better.

Last edited:

Ellsass

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Geofenced springboard layouts.

When I travel to NYC, I want my apps to be organized with NYC/transit apps on the first home screen. When I go back home to my humble suburb, I want those tucked away (or even removed) since they're useless. When I'm in, say, Europe, I want another set of travel-related apps up front.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
For my part, it would be the latter. I'm happy to see familiar analogies used to make functionality more predictable.

But I think most people would agree, that more recently, Apple has made a few design choices that clearly takes skeumorphic design to an extreme that actually makes the app less functional and harder to use. Specifically the Podcast app is pretty strange and remarkably inconsistent from the rest of iOS.

Now that orthodox skeumorphic enthusiast Forstall is gone, I'm pretty sure things are changing over in Cupertino. For the better.

I don't think Forstall was a designer, a good engineer by all reports, but not a designer. Engineer tend to get fixated on ideas like that, which is why it's very rare to see people who cross over between the two. I think he was just following "What steve would do" without ever understanding when it didn't work and importantly when there were opportunities to push design new ways and train the user into new function.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Geofenced springboard layouts.

When I travel to NYC, I want my apps to be organized with NYC/transit apps on the first home screen. When I go back home to my humble suburb, I want those tucked away (or even removed) since they're useless. When I'm in, say, Europe, I want another set of travel-related apps up front.

Yeah I think there are many ways just like this geofencing could make the device more responsive. I'd happily give up consistency on the first page for this.

They could do this on the spotlight page have it so you tap the search field to bring up the keyboard, but otherwise it's a page of the apps the phone thinks you would want. Let the user pick between page 1 or spotlight as the their home page. Even go as far as user defined fixed spots, so the public transport app is always in the same spot. Local food guide in another, etc.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
To each his own

Nothing ever needs a more complex UI. It can have more advanced features without being unsimplisitic and confusing.

I frankly don't mind complexity to some extent, as long as it's still Apple style. I wouldn't mind having to actually learn something new about iOS on my own for once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.