Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Not skimming thru 13 pages to see if this has been mentioned, but I could really use a bigger Send button in the Messages app. I don't know what kind of cocktail-sticks-for-fingers they made this thing for, but I could use a bigger button.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
All things I wish to be in iOS were told, except one:
Native iOS terminal / SSH-only terminal in iOS - It could be hidden somewhere in settings :(

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I would like the ability to import a document into iBooks. That way I could import the scripts from the movies or TV shows that I'm working on and then be able to work with the iBooks features...Highlighting and making notes that then get configured I to a list.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
A bold, sleek, interface.
Ultra-intuitive UI/UX.
Improved multitasking.
Ground breaking, utility/stock applications.
Improved notification bar.
More flexibility in the ecosystem.
Slow down on skeuomorphism.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
A bold, sleek, interface.
Ultra-intuitive UI/UX.
Improved multitasking.
Ground breaking, utility/stock applications.
Improved notification bar.
More flexibility in the ecosystem.
Slow down on skeuomorphism.

Yes, but will we see a complete change in iOS 7?

I hope so and I do think Apple needs to do it soon or at least make up for the crappy update that iOS 6 was.

Cavan2211

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2010
I want a folder for downloads! It's ridiculous that you can't download a single thing with safari. With the download folder you can open the files in different apps or share it via airdrop.
Speaking of airdrop, I also want a system-wide airdrop integration. We have a useless facebook share button but no real sharing option with other iOS Devices or Macs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A guest user account where you can control what the user has access to. Or for families, multiple profiles. I don't think Apple is doing this to force people to own multiple devices; I think they're just obsessed with this whole simple mantra and a feel something like user accounts is too complicated. But user accounts seems lik a no brainer that we should have had a long time ago.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
A guest user account where you can control what the user has access to. Or for families, multiple profiles. I don't think Apple is doing this to force people to own multiple devices; I think they're just obsessed with this whole simple mantra and a feel something like user accounts is too complicated. But user accounts seems lik a no brainer that we should have had a long time ago.

As well as being able to log on with seperate Apple ID's.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Idea....

Show me the effing time EACH damn text message was sent. I'm tired of guessing a roundabout time. Seriously, SMS wasn't just invented.

HenryHealy

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
For me, iOS will not be the powerhouse that it once was again. In reality, Apple has not added much to iOS since 2007, with the exception of the notification centre. I've had an iPhone 4 for 2 years and honestly, I'm getting quite bored of it. They really need to up their game and hopefully will now that Scott Forstall has been ousted. Hopefully iOS 7 will add several new features such as widgets, NFC and general overall improvements, which to be honest, nobody can deny are needed.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
What we really need:
• Option to require passcode to turn off the iPhone. (Very useful if it gets stolen and the thief knows about Find My iPhone, they will try to turn it off but it will Requiere the passcode).
• NCSettings
• Auxo multitasking
• Mountain Lion Dock
• Redesigned home screen icons and some default apps like Notes
• Turn off spotlight or at least have an icon next to the battery like on OSX and search from inside every app
• Set default apps
• Reply to SMS, WhatsApp or iMessage from NC
• Lockscreen acces to phone app
• Full upload manager from Safari
• Infinite apps inside a folder
• Translusent camera app for iPhone (like on iPad)

What we really don't need:

• Widgets
• NFC

jenz

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
What I think iOS 7, specially in iPad need, is a Files folder. So we could be able to download, upload files from our iDevice. That I beliebe could replace the computers for basic use.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What I think iOS 7, specially in iPad need, is a Files folder. So we could be able to download, upload files from our iDevice. That I beliebe could replace the computers for basic use.

Maybe with Steve and now Scott gone we'll get something like this. I mean we can upload photos via web browser now. That option used to be grayed out. There is hope. :)

----------

For me, iOS will not be the powerhouse that it once was again. In reality, Apple has not added much to iOS since 2007, with the exception of the notification centre. I've had an iPhone 4 for 2 years and honestly, I'm getting quite bored of it. They really need to up their game and hopefully will now that Scott Forstall has been ousted. Hopefully iOS 7 will add several new features such as widgets, NFC and general overall improvements, which to be honest, nobody can deny are needed.

What's so great about widgets? I hated them on my old HTC phone as they were such a battery drain. If I need to see my twitter feed or check the wether its not difficult to tap on an app and pull it up.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I'm still hiding the stocks app in a folder? In iOS 6!

Same am I. It has found a home in a folder labelled "ignore", where it rests away from my eyes, and next to the compass, Apple maps, passbook and default mail application. So yes, I'd highly value the ability to remove default apps, especially in the face of the countless (and superior) third-party offerings out there, and the undoubtedly many more by the time iOS 7 hits.

That aside, I wouldn't mind a UI refresh, and if not that, then I'd like them to allow third-party UI tweaks, of the kind you currently need to jailbreak to get. I don't care if Windows looks horrid out of the box, there's always WinCustomize. If Apple allowed for customization, or the use of two or more distinct looking springboards one can switch between, I'd be a happy camper, and wouldn't so much mind the fact that Apple themselves aren't re-designing their UI. It's good enough for most, anyway. Just let those who want tweak it in a way already possible on Android.

I'd love some 'smart icons' type thing, where a long press to an icon (or some similar gesture) opens a quick action menu for certain applications, like for example for the music player, pressing it would bring up a "mini player" one could quickly use to skip / repeat etc. songs, without having to open the full applications. That in conjunction with "mini app" versions that may be launched and operated from the lockscreen, and I'd be in heaven.

Last but not least, I'd like to see some kind of evolved form of widgets.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Technically, that's the goodreader app. :D

romanhdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I feel that apple needs to rework many of the fundamental elements of iOS. The main interface for the OS was the springboard, but additions such as Apps, multitasking, notifications, and Siri have stretched the idea of the springboard, and forced it to tackle on problems that it wasn't designed to. I don't feel that iOS feels dated, but incoherent.

I believe apple should work on improving the user works with the OS, instead of subjectively superfluous features. For example: many people say that iOS needs widgets. From my knowledge and intuition, iOS is all about apps. When a user needs to accomplish a task, the operating system fades into the background (almost literally) and the user gets accomplished what they need IN THE APP. Notification center has almost "broken" this way of thinking by providing the user with weather and stock information outside of their respective apps.

The same could be said about quick toggles for settings. Users want to be able to do these things without going into the settings app, another way of some entity breaking the operating system's initial philosophy.

This is why I think apple really does need to go back the drawing board, and address the inconsistencies with iOS.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
This is why I think apple really does need to go back the drawing board, and address the inconsistencies with iOS.

I couldn't agree more with your entire post.

The majority of the 13 pages of people's feature laundry lists are just noise. Some people think iOS needs to be turned into a blinking flashing mess of widgets, active icons and lockscreen applets. They just don't get Apple's philosophy of what a mobile OS should be - simple, minimalistic and getting out of the way of apps.

iOS needs to be cleaned up and made consistent, that much is true. iOS does NOT need to be turned into an incoherent mess of settings, widgets and applets. There is already Android and Windows Phone for those who are into that sort of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.