Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I'd be happy if they can give the black UI to most of the default apps. (i.e. look at the iOS 6 movie section of the itunes store app)

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
All it needs is ncsettings and zephyr jb tweaks built in and I would be happy.

No idiotic widgets and visual customizations and all that nonsense little kids want to do.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
All it needs is ncsettings and zephyr jb tweaks built in and I would be happy.

No idiotic widgets and visual customizations and all that nonsense little kids want to do.

How is seeing information pertinent to me on the homescreen rather then having to open an app somehow childish? :rolleyes:

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
How is seeing information pertinent to me on the homescreen rather then having to open an app somehow childish? :rolleyes:

Its not. If they don't like it, simple. DON'T ADD THEM TO YOUR HOMESCREEN. Apparently wanting choices make you a little kid, however.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I couldn't agree more with your entire post.

The majority of the 13 pages of people's feature laundry lists are just noise. Some people think iOS needs to be turned into a blinking flashing mess of widgets, active icons and lockscreen applets. They just don't get Apple's philosophy of what a mobile OS should be - simple, minimalistic and getting out of the way of apps.

iOS needs to be cleaned up and made consistent, that much is true. iOS does NOT need to be turned into an incoherent mess of settings, widgets and applets. There is already Android and Windows Phone for those who are into that sort of thing.

So, your solution to people who'd like to be able to turn their wifi off without leaving an app is to switch OS's? Those asking for the homescreen to be a tad bit more informational are not asking for it to be turned into a blinking flashing mess of widgets.

How hard is it to put the actual temperature on the weather icon? I'm not quite sure about you, but this: iOS Resizable App Icons Concept would be a very welcomed OPTION in my opinion.

Also, how is this Notificaton Concept in any way, shape, or form an incoherent mess of settings?

Lets be serious, these concepts show ways that iOS can change to be better while maintaining that look. I'm tired of everyone presenting a straw man when debating this.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
So, your solution to people who'd like to be able to turn their wifi off without leaving an app is to switch OS's?

I do not share some people's obsession with "settings widget". I don't find myself toggling my WiFi often enough, where launching Settings app becomes a time-wasting chore. On a rare ocasion when I need to toggle my radios, Settings app is just a couple of taps away. For that reason, I do not want a "settings widget" taking valuable space on my Notification screen.

Just stop and think this through for a moment.. The purpose of Notification Center is to display useful real-time information. Its purpose is NOT to provide shortcuts to static functions. If anywhere, Apple might add radio toggle shortcuts in the Multitasking bar (alongside volume controls they already provide there), but I wouldn't care either way.

How hard is it to put the actual temperature on the weather icon?

If Apple can implement this without adverse impact on battery - OK. However, they already provide weather/stock widgets in the Notification center, so I don't really see them bothering with icons. There are almost no use cases (outside of obvious calendar/weather), for active icons to be anything other than distracting gimmick.

I'm not quite sure about you, but this: iOS Resizable App Icons Concept would be a very welcomed OPTION in my opinion.

This is terrible, I truly hate this concept. I would not want to mess around with stretching icons on a tiny iPhone screen. And how in the world would resizing an icon to glean a few extra bits of info would be any easier than simply launching a full screen app? Not to mention a nightmare this would introduce to developers, who would have design 2-4 different UIs for each app.

Look, just because someone made a pretty YouTube video of a concept does not mean it would be a useable thing in practice. Thankfully, we are never going to see Apple implement anything like this.

Last edited:

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I do not share some people's obsession with "settings widget". I don't find myself toggling my WiFi often enough, where launching Settings app becomes a time-wasting chore. On a rare ocasion when I need to toggle my radios, Settings app is just a couple of taps away. For that reason, I do not want a "settings widget" taking valuable space on my Notification screen.

Just stop and think this through for a moment.. The purpose of Notification Center is to display useful real-time information. Its purpose is NOT to provide shortcuts to static functions. If anywhere, Apple might add radio toggle shortcuts in the Multitasking bar (alongside volume controls they already provide there), but I wouldn't care either way.

Turn it off. Just like you can every other notification. Your point is moot. The number of downloads SBSettings gets off of the Cydia store says otherwise. And spare me the "only a small number of iOS users jailbreak" argument. If JBing was easy enough and didnt void warranty I know MANY people who would.

If Apple can implement this without adverse impact on battery - OK. However, they already provide weather/stock widgets in the Notification center, so I don't really see them bothering with icons. There are almost no use cases (outside of obvious calendar/weather), for active icons to be anything other than distracting gimmick.

You mentioned TWO pieces of information and you make a bold statement at the end. Please, provide the source for this? Or is it nothing but personal opinion?

This is terrible, I truly hate this concept. I would not want to mess around with stretching icons on a tiny iPhone screen. And how in the world would resizing an icon to glean a few extra bits of info would be any easier than simply launching a full screen app? Not to mention a nightmare this would introduce to developers, who would have design 2-4 different UIs for each app.

Simple, choose to not develop a live icon.

Look, just because someone made a pretty YouTube video of a concept does not mean it would be a useable thing in practice. Thankfully, we are never going to see Apple implement anything like this.

Again, opinion, not fact. I would find it very usable for certain things, don't really care if you "truly hate this". If you don't want it, don't use it.

I don't really understand why that concept is so hard to embrace. Its called choice, and you have the choice to not use it. I choose to put up with not having that choice due to the stability of the OS and the fact that I develop for it.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Turn it off. Just like you can every other notification. Your point is moot.

No, my point is not moot. First, "Settings Widget" does not fit Notifications metaphor, as it doesn't _notify_ you of anything. Second, you want Apple to add radio toggles into Notification Center.. while they already have other setting toggles (Volume, Brightness, Mute) in the Multitasking Bar. Do you not see how placing various settings toggles in now three places (Settings App, Notification Center and Multitasking Bar) can get confusing to an average user?

These are exactly the types of things that add bloat and can quickly turn a mobile OS into an incoherent and inconsistent mess. Best keep the majority of toggles where they belong - in Settings App.

Please, provide the source for this? Or is it nothing but personal opinion?

LOL, everything I post here is a personal opinion by definition. Sorry if I forgot to add "IMHO" to the end of every sentence. :rolleyes:

I don't really understand why that concept is so hard to embrace. Its called choice, and you have the choice to not use it. I choose to put up with not having that choice due to the stability of the OS and the fact that I develop for it.

"More choice is always better" is a flawed argument in the world of mobile platforms. Keeping the base OS simple / bloat-free and limiting the options is also a design CHOICE.. The choice that Apple has embraced thus far, and what has made iOS a huge success that it has been.

You can agree or disagree with it, but Apple's philosophy is NOT "let's just open it up and allow anything that every Dick and Harry want to throw at it.. widgets.. strechable icons.. live icons.. toggles all over the place". If you want that OS - Android is right there for you in all its glory. Apple's philosophy is to carefully control the user experience and only allowing features / APIs that they feel can benefit the vast majority of the users.

You can take it or leave it, but I don't see Apple moving away from that philosophy (and I hope they don't).

Last edited:

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
No, my point is not moot. First, "Settings Widget" does not fit Notifications metaphor, as it doesn't _notify_ you of anything. Second, you want Apple to add radio toggles into Notification Center.. while they already have other setting toggles (Volume, Brightness, Mute) in the Multitasking Bar. Do you not see how placing various settings toggles in now three places (Settings App, Notification Center and Multitasking Bar) can get confusing to an average user?

These are exactly the types of things that add bloat and can quickly turn a mobile OS into an incoherent and inconsistent mess. Best keep the majority of toggles where they belong - in Settings App.

LOL, everything I post here is a personal opinion by definition. Sorry if I forgot to add "IMHO" to the end of every sentence. :rolleyes:

"More choice is always better" is a flawed argument in the world of mobile platforms. Keeping the base OS simple / bloat-free and limiting the options is also a design CHOICE.. The choice that Apple has embraced thus far, and what has made iOS a huge success that it has been.

You can agree or disagree with it, but Apple's philosophy is NOT "let's just open it up and allow anything that every Dick and Harry want to throw at it.. widgets.. strechable icons.. live icons.. toggles all over the place". If you want that OS - Android is right there for you in all its glory. Apple's philosophy is to carefully control user experience and only allowing features that they know can benefit the vast majority of the users.

Although I agree that NC should only contain items that 'notify' you, putting setting toggles in the multitasking tray would make sense, since it is a place for you to manage system activity to begin with. It shouldnt confuse the average user as only people who know about it will swipe to the left to use it, people who dont will simply not notice its presence

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Although I agree that NC should only contain items that 'notify' you, putting setting toggles in the multitasking tray would make sense

Yes, it would at least be somewhat consistent to add radio toggles to Multitasking tray.. I said that in my previous post.

Although, again, there is a slippery slope argument there.. how many toggles do you end up replicating.. and do you risk turning Multitasking bar into Settings App Lite.. If I have to invoke Multitasking bar and then do 3 more left swipes before I get to the Bluetooth toggle I want to change (as an example) - I may as well hit home button and launch Settings app.

The point is - there is an added complexity tradeoff for every small change like this, so one must tread carefully.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I couldn't agree more with your entire post.

The majority of the 13 pages of people's feature laundry lists are just noise. Some people think iOS needs to be turned into a blinking flashing mess of widgets, active icons and lockscreen applets. They just don't get Apple's philosophy of what a mobile OS should be - simple, minimalistic and getting out of the way of apps.

iOS needs to be cleaned up and made consistent, that much is true. iOS does NOT need to be turned into an incoherent mess of settings, widgets and applets. There is already Android and Windows Phone for those who are into that sort of thing.
It seems many people just want Apple to turn iOS into Android. :rolleyes:

nickharris1992

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
California
Nfc

A new UI would be very nice.

What I would most be interested in would be adding NFC. Not ever having to carry around a wallet would be amazing. I know that there is not a lot of support out there right now for it but if the Google and Apple both are pushing for NFC then i think there would be a demand for others to follow. NFC has a lot of potential.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
A new UI would be very nice.

What I would most be interested in would be adding NFC. Not ever having to carry around a wallet would be amazing. I know that there is not a lot of support out there right now for it but if the Google and Apple both are pushing for NFC then i think there would be a demand for others to follow. NFC has a lot of potential.

NFC is a solution that is still looking for a problem to solve.

If google wallet is truly making progress, google would't be copying passbook.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
spare me the "only a small number of iOS users jailbreak" argument. If JBing was easy enough and didnt void warranty I know MANY people who would.

Um do you remember the jailbreak that basically required you to visit a website in safari and that was it? Yah I don't think jailbreak numbers vastly increased at all. And since when the hell did jb EVER void warranty. A simple restore is even easier to do.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
For those who want the temperature displayed on the weather icon, you may want to consider this. You will note on the calendar app the correct date is shown on the icon, so this would lead you to believe that it would be easy to put the temperature on the weather icon as well.

However, it is not that simple. In order for the correct temperature to be shown for your location, the GPS function would have to be turned on at all times. This would eat up your battery at a fantastic rate. This is why you don't see this function on any weather app in the store that I know of. And being the weather "Junkie" that I am I have a lot loaded and am always looking for new ones. I've yet to see any that displays the current temp on their logo.

----------

One thing I would like to see in iOS seven, is the ability to turn off all of the apps in the multitasking tray with one switch.

Also in SETTINGS it would be nice to have the option to turn off multitasking altogether.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
In order for the correct temperature to be shown for your location, the GPS function would have to be turned on at all times. This would eat up your battery at a fantastic rate. This is why you don't see this function on any weather app in the store that I know of.

There are a number of weather apps that display (near) real-time temperature on an icon via APNS (push) badge. WeatherLive for example:

wxlive07.jpg

Theoretically, a similar thing can be done via APNS if Apple allowed variable icon content. There is no way to do this outside of APNS, as an app would have to be constantly running in the background to poll for current weather.. which would kill the battery, and Apple would never allow (rightfully so).

I personally don't see much point for any of this, as Apple already supports weather widgets in the Notification Center.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
However, it is not that simple. In order for the correct temperature to be shown for your location, the GPS function would have to be turned on at all times.

It could use push notifications and the cell tower-based geofencing that is used by Reminders and 'Find my friends' - personally I like icons to stay the same. One of the things about Windows 8 is I never know what app a tile is actually opening.

----------

I would like the ability to tether your GPS chip, so you can hook an iPad up to an iPhone via Bluetooth/Wifi and use not only the Internet, but also the location data.

Maccho

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2008
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I think for iPhone, the next iOS update should make it so that even the home screen can be rotated horizontal too.

I find it sometimes annoying, when typing an email on my iPhone, I go landscape then have to rotate the phone back to portrait when I go select another app to use, especially if the other app is a horizontal based one, like Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds.

They should make it so even the home screen has a horizontal orientation, this would make transitions between apps much more streamlined. I believe iPad is able to do this.

And if other people didnt want it, you could always just lock the phone to portrait orientation or horizontal.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
One thing I would like to see in iOS seven, is the ability to turn off all of the apps in the multitasking tray with one switch.

Also in SETTINGS it would be nice to have the option to turn off multitasking altogether.

I don't think you quite understand how the "multitasking' features in iOS works. Unless an app requests time to complete a task (for which it is allowed a maximum of 10 minutes), it's automatically suspended when moved to the background. If the operating system needs more memory it is supposed to close suspended apps automatically. You will still see these apps in the app switcher because it's not simply a list of open apps, but rather functions more like your browser history.

Beyond requesting time, the only way for an app to perform tasks in the background is by using processes built into iOS. My understanding is that tasks are limited to VOiP calls, background audio, location alerts from navigation apps, newsstand updates, and syncing with certain external accessories.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I don't think you quite understand how the "multitasking' features in iOS works. Unless an app requests time to complete a task (for which it is allowed a maximum of 10 minutes), it's automatically suspended when moved to the background. If the operating system needs more memory it is supposed to close suspended apps automatically. You will still see these apps in the app switcher because it's not simply a list of open apps, but rather functions more like your browser history.

Beyond requesting time, the only way for an app to perform tasks in the background is by using processes built into iOS. My understanding is that tasks are limited to VOiP calls, background audio, location alerts from navigation apps, newsstand updates, and syncing with certain external accessories.

The problem on older devices (especially iPad 1) is that iOS isn't perfect about reclaiming memory. Safari for example will receive memory warnings and only allow 1 tab in memory unless you manually close other apps. Only a problem for old devices, but of course one day all if our current kit is going to be in this situation.

Also apps get 10 minutes to complete a generic task, using [application beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler:]

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'm thinking they shouldn't add widgets. If they did, many people would see them copying from Android to stay relevant. Truth is, I don't think widgets are that useful and I don't think they need to implement them. If they want users to glean information quicker then they should reinvent the wheel and do it differently and better.

Stealing Android features isn't the answer. They are completely separate philosophies, and Apple will never add some of the stuff Android has or will have. I think at this point they need to move us into the future and do some concepts better. I think that is what we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.