Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I think there can be a lot of hope for iOS 7 now that Forstall is gone and Jonny has taken over. While it is a more than capable and extremely stable, it needs a new injection. I really hope all the skeuomorphism is wiped out totally, I particularly hate the game centre. I also hope they come up with more interactive icons and less of them on the screen.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I think it should also bring the ability to remove notifications by pressing the x from the lock screen.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
b) have never installed live icons on an iOS platform. It absolutely MURDERS battery life because it has to CONSTANTLY check to display an accurate reading whenever you might randomly elect to 'dashboard' as it were. If it only updates when you look at it (which could take quite some time depending on your coverage) it ruins the point entirely.

Not at all, ive had live weather icon ever since the first jb came out and it does nothing to the battery. simply set it to only refresh every other hour or so

i take great new features over an hour of batterylife any day, its not like u dont have to recharge it every night anyway

I saw the other thread but I decided to make this it's own. Feel free to reply your iOS 7 suggestion and I will add to the list in bold text. :) Enjoy!

Music
iTunes Radio

Photos/Video/Camera
Ability to stream Movies and TV Shows via iCloud
Ability to record the screen and view recorded content in Videos app
Advanced camera settings for camera app (effects, timers...ect)
Photo app syncs Albums/Events via iCloud (Photo Stream dedicated with sharing only)
Video taken with Camera app goes to Video app instead of Photo app.
Movies, TV Shows, User Content and Music Videos have their own sections in Videos app

Podcast
Easy Mark as Listen/Watched
Sync with iTunes on OS X via iCloud

Notes/Voice Memos
Ability to add photos to notes
Password-Protect certain notes
Voice Memos for iPad

Safari
Unified Search/Address
Easier, One handed navigation
1Password Integration

Siri
Offline Siri
Ask Siri to check where your friends iDevices are located (Find my Friends)
Ask Siri for language translations
Better conversions, calculations integration (non-Wolfram)

FaceTime
Group Chat (4 people)

Settings
Phone automatically switch to silent based on location settings
Devices detect when you're at home, or connected to your home Wi-Fi, and automatically turn off the passcode

Weather
Weather app for iPad

Stocks
Stocks app for iPad

Newsstand
Automatically hide when no Magazines are downloaded

Ability to reply to text messages, without having to leave the currently opened application
Ability to copy text within a text message, rather then having to copy the whole message

Maps/Location apps
Combine Maps & Compass
Find my iPhone renamed to Find my iDevice
Bus routes and walking routes in Maps application

Home Screen
Live Icons for Weather and Clock
Ability to split iPad's screen to truly multitask
Ability to add more apps to a folder (Scroll-able folders)

Lock Screen
Weather Widget
Setting Toggles (Flashlight, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplay Mode)

Mission Control (Multitask Bar):
http://youtu.be/dMi6Si4nN4k?t=10s
A "Kill All" button
Setting Toggles (Flashlight, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplay Mode)
Brightness slider for iPhone 5

Notification Bar
Add/Remove Widgets from Apps (ex. Flipboard quick-view or Facebook quick-view)

User Interface
Kill the fabric UI from Siri and Mission Control (Multitask Bar)
System-wide GUI based off of App Store (Black/Silver)
Mountain Lion Style Dock

THIS THIS THIS i could finally stop jailbreaking. i still cannot believe apple wants to tell me how many apps i can put in one folder

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Does killing background apps really matter? I tried that for a time, but noticed no improvement to battery life. :confused:

I would like to see siri finally being brought to ipad2 and iphone4. There really is no reason to deny these platforms this feature, and I feel the extra feedback might help improve it further.

v0n

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
The only thing I really, really want, for the past three iOS releases is quick toggle in notification bar. Ability to quickly switch wifi, bluetooth, silent mode and data on and off just by swiping notification bar down and tuning options on.
Like android can and like sbssettings on jailbroken iOS does.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
All people say "The UI is stale" "the UI is boring" "I just can't stand a dull UI"

WHAAAAAAA!!!!!

Guess what. Cars still have 4 wheels and an engine. Why redesign what works perfectly?

Do you know how ridiculous you sound? Right, so we're all still driving around Model T's.

M

Mr.damien

Do you know how ridiculous you sound? Right, so we're all still driving around Model T's.
No he is right. And the funnier part will be when Apple will change anything big on the UI and people will complain they have to relearn stuff and that they are lost.

Anyway, I wish they removed the notification panel totally. I hate having it popup from the top of the screen especially with full screen apps.

They should put everything in the useless and empty spotlight screen.

If not, I want to be able to disable totally the notification panel, it just sucks like Android.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
-A more gesture driven interface, like swipe down for notifications (as it is), and swipe up for multitasking
-A more mission-control style view for multitasking (I hate the current implementation)
-Quick access to Bluetooth, Brightness toggles
-Toning down (but not removing completely) skeumorphism
-Siri and Maps improvements
-Keyboard enhancements, multiple word suggestion, Swype
-Customization hub where designers and others can submit themes for icons, keyboards, etc. All Apple approved, similar to App Store.
-More utility on home and lock screen
-Less UI in Music and Safari
-Better Notification Center (think Android 4.2)
-More focus on mobile gaming

And I'd be one happy camper.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
No he is right. And the funnier part will be when Apple will change anything big on the UI and people will complain they have to relearn stuff and that they are lost.

Anyway, I wish they removed the notification panel totally. I hate having it popup from the top of the screen especially with full screen apps.

They should put everything in the useless and empty spotlight screen.

If not, I want to be able to disable totally the notification panel, it just sucks like Android.

dafug, its the best thing apple ever borrowed from the jb community

those notification bubbles were the worst. why not just disable them if they bother u so much

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Not at all, ive had live weather icon ever since the first jb came out and it does nothing to the battery. simply set it to only refresh every other hour or so

Therein lies my point. If it only updates every hour, you have to launch the app to get an accurate temperature anyway?! LOL

M

Mr.damien

dafug, its the best thing apple ever borrowed from the jb community

those notification bubbles were the worst. why not just disable them if they bother u so much

I disabled everything but the notification panel will never disappear and always show up when you swipe from the top.

And seriously, I don't understand why people love technologies that disturb you all the time. I wish there is a slick and clean dashboard on demand and not popping everywhere and changing the OS behavior.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
• A viewable, built-in filesystem
• A Terminal
• UI Customizability
• Support for dual-booting
• Window Manager
• Support for X11 apps
• GTK+
• Aqua UI

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Simultaneous Airplay with sync - Sonos killer.

Long Tap/Tripe popovers for app management - "Move to x folder"

Ability to lock landing pages and better app organization - detents.

Siri Local - No WAN/Cellular connection needed for launching apps, settings

Reading List everywhere - ability to strip ads and read the block of text anywhere.

Multitasking gesture on iPhone.

Apple Support app - Genius Bar appointments, purchase history linked to Apple ID, Support help view Expressway

Altimeter support in the compass app.

iTunes Match Basic - 4000 songs for free backed into iCloud.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Therein lies my point. If it only updates every hour, you have to launch the app to get an accurate temperature anyway?! LOL

how much does weather change in one hour? i dont care about 1-5 degrees. plus i have eyes to see the current weather outside

yahoo weather isnt accurate in the first place anyway

the silly and constant "28" just annoys me, if the days on the calendar can change, why not the weather or the clock

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
  1. A refreshed interface (that's not as radical as Metro)
  2. Application exceptions for Do Not Disturb
  3. Per-Weekday scheduling for Do Not Disturb
  4. Option to disable notifications and banners in Do Not Disturb while the phone is unlocked and in use
  5. Option to mute notification sounds while in call
  6. Quick toggles
  7. Improvements to Siri, especially in speed, functionality and accuracy
  8. Some tone management features
  9. Bring music deletion back to Music app
  10. A less confusing Multitasking bar that doesn't combine recently used apps, running apps, volume and playback controls
  11. Automatic app updates while phone is charged and plugged in
  12. Some file management features would be nice

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Beside all the technical functional I think Apple should start naming iOS versions with name (like kitty cats for OS X).

Maybe after native americans; starting with "Wampanoag"

That could increase the identification with a certain release much better as a simple number like 1.6.21 or whatever version ...

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Beside all the technical functional I think Apple should start naming iOS versions with name (like kitty cats for OS X).

Maybe after native americans; starting with "Wampanoag"

That could increase the identification with a certain release much better as a simple number like 1.6.21 or whatever version ...

Or maybe after States? OSX 1.6.21 Massachusetts perhaps?...:D

riptide747

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
1. THEMING!! If apple is going to keep taking features from jailbreaking ideas why not being able to customize everything? It would boost apple over the top of all competitors
2. CLEAR ALL MULTITASKING!!!! It's a pain to have to press every single icon to clear the MT bar especially if it hasn't been cleared in awhile. Again, also available in jailbreak.
3. Universal orientation. I'm tired of having to flip my iPod different ways for different apps. Make every app have the same orientation to open with.
4. Quick reply. I feel like I'm going to break my home button by how many times I have to double click it to answer a text. Make it so you can press the notification and answer right then and there. AGAIN A JAILBREAK.

party

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Hong Kong
They brought iOS to Mac in Lion and ML.

Now bring the Mac to iOS.

Multitasking evolved into a simple Mission Control? the little red minus signs is too simple work

Multi-touch gestures! All the swipes and stuff!

In fact the default apps should be updated. Clock, Voice Memos (terrible app name anyways), Calculator etc.

I expect a real change in iOS with the new team. It's too far behind Android now it really needs to catchup.

PS: some pretty wild ideas:
1. facebook messenger integration messages app
2. messages.app more whatsapp like (ability to send more things other than just pics/vids, timestamp for every message etc.)
3. more functionality into camera.app, including effects, filters and stuff (i wish apple would just buy Camera+ lol)
4. dashboard (like how it is on the mac, swipe 3 or 4 fingers and show simple widgets e.g. the time, the date, the temperature and the relative humidity etc.)
5. spotlight at the top of springboard (just like how it is in Launchpad ML)
6. quick reply in messages (just pleeeease)
7. uniform ribbons and toolbars
8. and remove all those stuff not needed in iOS 6 to keep it simple (color-changing status bar at the top of my list!)

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
How would that be any easier than just tapping the music icon?

It would eliminate the need to switch back and forth between apps. Just select your track and dismiss the multitasking bar and you'll instantly be back to whatever you were doing before.

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
How about since Google bought Sparrow, Apple buys Swift Key to make a better keyboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.