Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

YeOldScallywag

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I really like the widgets in the notification center, its pretty close to getting them on the homescreen, and the sports scores widget is a very similar idea of what I have wanted in the past. Quick reply is awesome as well.

Overall I am very impressed with the new OS, much more impressed than iOS 7 and probably iOS 6.

I think that the only reason that it hasn't migrated to the homescreen is for battery consumption issues. It would update every time you unlock your phone and the GPU would also have to constantly render any animation that is displayed. I am probably wrong but that is just my thought.:D

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
You can also swype left in the notification centre to get the reply function, and you can also swype left on the bug reporter and press dismiss.

Attachments

• IMG_1654.PNG
    IMG_1654.PNG
    234.5 KB · Views: 227

samdaman222

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Here you go, what I could find anyway.

Main Features:
-------
  • Handoff
  • Continuity
  • Phone and SMS Features across devices
  • Notification Centre
  • Multitasking Interface
  • Messages Features - Leave Group Messages
  • Keyboard Options - 'QuickType'
  • Photos App - iCloud Photo Library
  • Camera - Time Lapse Mode
  • Health App
  • Siri - "Hey Siri" Activation
  • iCloud Drive
  • Wi-Fi Calling (Subject to Carrier Approval)
  • Location-Based App Suggestion on Lock Screen (Starbucks/Apple Store)
  • 'Smart Home' compatibility with Siri
  • Interactive Notifications

Lesser Known Features:
-------
  • Mail - Swipe Gestures and Improved Features
  • Spotlight - Shows suggestions from more sources
  • Family Sharing - Share iTunes Content with up to 6 Users
  • Safari - Tiled Grid & Incognito Tabs
  • Settings - Battery Usage by app
  • Panoramic Photos - iPad
  • Camera Updates - Instant Burst, Timer Mode, Photo Exposure, Time Lapse
  • iBooks App (Default) - Night mode,
  • Notifications include Travel Time
  • Tips app (Unknown Use)
  • Accessibility Improvements
  • FaceTime 'Call Waiting'
  • iTunes Purchases Via Siri
  • 'In Case of Emergency' Card for Lock screen Emergency Menu
  • Dictionaries improvements
  • Duck Duck Go Search Option
  • Shazam with Siri
  • Safari - Request Desktop Site

Edit: Didn't realise there was already a list going!

Last edited:

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Get YOUR facts straight. He asked WHY you could only use it plugged in. I responded its a battery killer and seems aimed towards CarPlay. But thanks for playing.

My theory; iPhone 6 will have an always listening coprocessor to avoid battery drain and the "Hey Siri" ability will be an option to enable at all times and not just when plugged in.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
You can also swype left in the notification centre to get the reply function, and you can also swype left on the bug reporter and press dismiss.

If I press the Ignore Button it doesn't go away. Damn that Bug Report app is so buggy. I can't even log in to report bugs. lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 169

blablabla23

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
While I'm here, does this format work well? Should I do something different? (I've got some ideas for a separate web-based "tracker" for this too at some point). And is it useful to have the post number and link where each item was referenced first?

you're doing a fantastic job; keep it up! I especially like that you quote the original post number as well. It's not useful per se but i do believe in giving credit when credit is due.

The only thing i would suggest is listing it in different categories (e.g. UI changes; Improvements; New Features; etc.) or even on a per-app basis.

obloice

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Mac Voice Calls

I have a MacBook Pro (mid 2009) running Yosemite and can't seem to send or receive calls on my Mac using my iPhone running iOS8. They are both set up using the same AppleID and are on the same network. Is anyone else having this issue? Could it be that my old MBP doesn't support this new feature?

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Can someone confirm if the 'Family Sharing' option is optional or is it automatically built in to iOS 8?

I really don't want to share my music, apps, tv shows or films with any of my family and I don't want theirs to be shared to my device (I have 2 boys with loads of stupid apps which I really wouldn't want on my device!! ) !!

Can this feature be turned off?

Also, looking on Apple's website under the 'Continuity' feature ( https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/continuity/), it shows a full screen caller photo on the iPhone however, it just displays the standard small circle photo on the iPad??

Last edited:

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
I didn't read through all pages, but did they by any chance remove utterly annoying "Location Accuracy - Turn on wifi for better location accuracy" which pooped up when I want to take a picture ???

naesy1

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but now when you adjust the brightness in the control center, the background brightens to its normal brightness while you are sliding the slider.

Also it seems like whenever I try to delete an email from quick reply, it doesn't do anything.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Is there a Forward Option in Notes?
Do the controls in Control Center still play from last audio source?
And does Weather in Notification Center still giving vague descriptions?
Or messages/alerts disappearing from Notification Center?
Photos app still a mess?
Selecting/modifying a URL in Safari still a pain in the ass?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Can someone confirm if the 'Family Sharing' option is optional or is it automatically built in to iOS 8?

I really don't want to share my music, apps, tv shows or films with any of my family and I don't want theirs to be shared to my device (I have 2 boys with loads of stupid apps which I really wouldn't want on my device!! )

Wow. Really?

Yes. Of course it is optional. Did you think Apple would come in to your home, check on your family and automatically sign you up with the same credit card and link your iTunes accounts?

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Wow. Really?

Yes. Of course it is optional. Did you think Apple would come in to your home, check on your family and automatically sign you up with the same credit card and link your iTunes accounts?

...yes really!!! My boys have loads of them Angry Bird games on their iDevices and some kids tv shows. I have some films on my iPad, which wouldn't be appropriate for them so wouldn't really want their stuff shared to my devices and vice versa!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.