Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Because its way too early, while using a beta, to say what the final 9.2 release will be like. Just as you say, not ALWAYS fixed, but yes things do get fixed along the way.

Things are turned on and off, both visible features and features.running processes under the hood, in betas for obvious reasons. You cannot equate a beta performance to what is released in the official release.

Betas, even public betas are install at your own risk and always have been.

I've never seen a performance difference between a final beta and the public release.

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade to a previous beta version. For instance, is it possible to downgrade from the current beta 4 to beta 3? My Bluetooth connection in my car cuts in and out when playing music and spotlight search on cellular data refuses to work.

KennyR31

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
I have this issue where the rewind button is grayed out and can't be pressed. It's been there since iOS 8. Doesn't matter if the video is from the web or in an app. All I have to do to get it back is to tap Done and start it again.

Does anybody else get this?

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

Suspended
Nov 19, 2015
Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade to a previous beta version. For instance, is it possible to downgrade from the current beta 4 to beta 3? My Bluetooth connection in my car cuts in and out when playing music and spotlight search on cellular data refuses to work.

Just download the beta 3 ipsw file, put your iPhone into recovery mode and use Option+Update to select the ipsw file

Reactions: JDabney24

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
So you do something abnormal with the intent of showing a bug...

It's not abnormal. I found it because it happened for the first time by accident after I pulled down Notification Center and I didn't know why my home button wasn't working right. I eventually found out how to do it every time.

I've never had any of those issues shown in those YouTube videos. I actually think ios 9 runs really well. Very rarely have I seen a bug and even rarer where it has bothered me, especially like your over reaction.

I'd argue that I'm not overreacting since iOS 9 was expected to be an update focused on performance and refinement. It shouldn't be a regression in quality if they're calling it the opposite.

Of course you don't and you wonder why your videos garner dislikes.

Some of the bugs you've uncovered will never show up in day to day usage. You can report them and if Apple feels they are urgent enough to address, they'll address them. Kudos you found them, but there are bugs that most likely have a higher priority.

The first one managed to show up in my day to day usage which is how I know about it. Arguing they're not urgent is ridiculous. Imagine someone not as much of an enthusiast as me doing one of them by accident, wondering why their phone isn't responding normally. That's supposed to be fine? What kind of known bugs should be a higher priority than ones that lock you out of the phone and warrant a force restart? Other obscure bugs?

If your initial response is to downplay what I told you about these major bugs, think about the side you're taking on the issue. Are you advocating ignoring these bugs? Am I supposed to treat this like the new normal? It wasn't like this before iOS 7 and there's no reason I should lower my expectations from Apple.

And if you argue "it's a beta!!", it would be different if I was talking about iOS 9 Beta 1 like this. Apple have already made public iOS 9 releases with these same quality issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmnc and rmadera

thed0g

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
Gotta say that the 9.2 beta 4 is quite an improvement compared to 9.1 (that I've downgraded to 9.0.2 because of the abysmal battery life). The Hotspot was in use for about an hour, majority of the time the phone was on Wifi though.

iPhone 5S, 9.2 beta4

File%2020-11-15%2023%2034%20051.jpg

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
If your initial response is to downplay what I told you about these major bugs, think about the side you're taking on the issue. Are you advocating ignoring these bugs? Am I supposed to treat this like the new normal? It wasn't like this before iOS 7 and there's no reason I should lower my expectations from Apple.

I didn't downplay a thing or take anyone's side. I suggest you carefully re-read my reply again.

Apple obviously prioritizes. They'll get to the bugs they believe are of higher priority. Maybe they'll eventually get to yours? I think you're taking this much too personally. Apple doesn't develop its software around a few users.

Last edited:
Reactions: C DM

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I didn't downplay a thing or take anyone's side. I suggest you carefully re-read my reply again.

Apple obviously prioritizes. They'll get to the bugs they believe are of higher priority. Maybe they'll eventually get to yours? I think you're taking this much too personally. Apple doesn't develop it's software around a few users.
Priority isn't simply based on how severe an issue is, but various other factors. There can certainly be some fairly big issues, but if they are in places and have flows that very few users would get into, and if there are ways to recover from them that aren't complicated and won't cause damage to anything, then something like that would be of lower priority than some other issues that might be of lesser severity, but of higher impact in one way or another.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013

Apple obviously prioritizes. They'll get to the bugs they believe are of higher priority. Maybe they'll eventually get to yours? I think you're taking this much too personally. Apple doesn't develop it's software around a few users.
I didn't point you out specifically about downplaying the severity of the bugs. I'm also not treating it like I'm the only person in the world. The fact is iOS wouldn't have issue this bad in public releases in 2012. When they recommend an update to all their users and I find it to be worse, I take it very personally when they tell me what version I want and prevent me from having an older version if I choose.

This is why bugs are such a big deal. There shouldn't be any regression in quality. You pay for the device and updates should make it objectively better. If they really were, I wouldn't feel this way.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's not abnormal. I found it because it happened for the first time by accident after I pulled down Notification Center and I didn't know why my home button wasn't working right. I eventually found out how to do it every time.

I'd argue that I'm not overreacting since iOS 9 was expected to be an update focused on performance and refinement. It shouldn't be a regression in quality if they're calling it the opposite.

The first one managed to show up in my day to day usage which is how I know about it. Arguing they're not urgent is ridiculous. Imagine someone not as much of an enthusiast as me doing one of them by accident, wondering why their phone isn't responding normally. That's supposed to be fine? What kind of known bugs should be a higher priority than ones that lock you out of the phone and warrant a force restart? Other obscure bugs?

And if you argue "it's a beta!!", it would be different if I was talking about iOS 9 Beta 1 like this. Apple have already made public iOS 9 releases with these same quality issues.

Can't reproduce it on 9.2b4, by the way. Just felt I'd let you know. I have a 6S+.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I didn't point you out specifically about downplaying the severity of the bugs. I'm also not treating it like I'm the only person in the world. The fact is iOS wouldn't have issue this bad in public releases in 2012. When they recommend an update to all their users and I find it to be worse, I take it very personally when they tell me what version I want and prevent me from having an older version if I choose.

This is why bugs are such a big deal. There shouldn't be any regression in quality. You pay for the device and updates should make it objectively better. If they really were, I wouldn't feel this way.
Early versions of iOS 8 were worse than later versions of iOS 7, just as early (and in some people's eyes all) versions of iOS 7 were worse than later versions of iOS 6, and looking back at earlier iOS releases and various threads that would often appear shortly after a new version would be released, there would always be people complaining about the new versions having issues and being worse than the previous version.

That said, seems like we've gone down the path of diverging and taking away from the actual iOS 9.2 beta 4 discussion.

xAmadeus

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2015
Does anyone else experience problems with Touch ID? Touch ID on my iPhone is really slow, unreliable and sometimes unresponsive.

Reactions: peter.sift

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Early versions of iOS 8 were worse than later versions of iOS 7, just as early (and in some people's eyes all) versions of iOS 7 were worse than later versions of iOS 6, and looking back at earlier iOS releases and various threads that would often appear shortly after a new version would be released, there would always be people complaining about the new versions having issues and being worse than the previous version.

That said, seems like we've gone down the path of diverging and taking away from the actual iOS 9.2 beta 4 discussion.

The difference this time is Apple mentioned better performance with iOS 9, which led many to believe that iOS 9 should be smoother than 8.4.1 out the gate.

"Under-the-hood refinements bring you more responsive performance...." I havent seen that compared to previous iOS versions.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The difference this time is Apple mentioned better performance with iOS 9, which led many to believe that iOS 9 should be smoother than 8.4.1 out the gate.

"Under-the-hood refinements bring you more responsive performance...." I havent seen that compared to previous iOS versions.
Yes, that is perhaps the main difference there. They didn't live up to that promise so far. However, while that makes it more top-of-mind, it doesn't make it a horrible release, or worse than previous releases, or something truly really bad. In fact in comparison to early versions of the last few major iOS releases it's been better overall for more people, minus the under-delivering on the advertisement of what the release would or should be.

Reactions: canesalato and scjr

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Can't reproduce it on 9.2b4, by the way. Just felt I'd let you know. I have a 6S+.
Notification Center needs to be opened all the way first. Then if you grab it, flick it down and hold the home button while it's bouncing, it will happen. It's not even by chance or luck, and it will always happen it you do these steps correctly. Even on 9.2 beta 4. My video makes it look like you have to do it fast but that's only because I was holding another phone in my other hand to record it. It doesn't need any quick movement.

Then you are trapped in a way that requires a force reboot to escape from, which causes data loss. When I was getting a screenshot of it as evidence for a bug report, I had to retype the report because the original was not saved, and lost doing a force reboot. I think the risk of data loss should make this bug a pretty high priority one.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Notification Center needs to be opened all the way first. Then if you grab it, flick it down and hold the home button while it's bouncing, it will happen. It's not even by chance or luck, and it will always happen it you do these steps correctly. Even on 9.2 beta 4. My video makes it look like you have to do it fast but that's only because I was holding another phone in my other hand to record it. It doesn't need any quick movement.

Then you are trapped in a way that requires a force reboot to escape from, which causes data loss. When I was getting a screenshot of it as evidence for a bug report, I had to retype the report because the original was not saved, and lost doing a force reboot. I think the risk of data loss should make this bug a pretty high priority one.

Well, I was wrong on that one. Just tried again, and it "worked". Missed a step.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

The quite unlikely scenario that a user would need to find themselves in for it all to happen could likely balance out quite a bit of it to perhaps put various other issues ahead as far as priority goes.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The quite unlikely scenario that a user would need to find themselves in for it all to happen could likely balance out quite a bit of it to perhaps put various other issues ahead as far as priority goes.

My issue with this problem is just what you said. A person has to try to activate it.

Last edited:

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2014
Upgraded from 9.1B5 to 9.2B4, been getting pretty amazing battery life now. Think I can do 11+ hours
W9nkUSm.png

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Upgraded from 9.1B5 to 9.2B4, been getting pretty amazing battery life now. Think I can do 11+ hours
W9nkUSm.png
The fact that usage and standby are the same means something isn't quite right somewhere.

Reactions: Solver

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Why do some people bother to post these screenshots of their battery life and not say what phone they have, e.g. 5 hours and 5 mins use with 27% battery left? Really impressive if it's an iPhone 5 but pitiful if it's a 6+ or 6s+. Battery life data really means absolutely nothing at all unless the phone is specified.

peter.sift

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
Does anyone else experience problems with Touch ID? Touch ID on my iPhone is really slow, unreliable and sometimes unresponsive.

I also have an unresponsive touch id on my 6s+. It often doesn't even recognize my finger although i wipe my finger before i press the home button and sometimes it takes ages till the phone unlocks. I also have rebooted, readded fingerprints and in the beginning it works fine and soon starts getting worse and worse. This is extremely dissappointing and leads me to thoughts of turning touch id off. Before 9.2 it worked way better and more reliable. Reported this to Apple.

The irony is that the sensor on my iPad Air 2 works flawlessly although it runs the same iOS version (9.2 beta 4).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.