Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nsblum

macrumors regular
May 18, 2015
Puyallup, WA
Is it just me or my VVM notification is back,but still shows unknown on every VM... Tmobile iphone6s...

Anyone else?

It shows who called on my voicemails in the notification area (pulled from the top of the screen), under Phone >Voicemails and locked screen notification. Tmobile 6s+.
[doublepost=1457042844][/doublepost]
The bottom bar in safari bug lives to see another build.
That's awesome. It is not however on the 6S+.
[doublepost=1457046187][/doublepost]
Is anyone else still having problems with watch notifications on beta 5. My watch still alerts on phone and watch.
Does the same for me still too. 6s+

Reactions: The Doctor11

GregE240

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
The power up / lock screen bug is irritating as hell. Sure, there's a workaround (power off button, try again) always seems to work, but annoying all the same. Not got this on my iPhone 6, just iPad 4.

Other than a bit of lag in Settings, seems okay for me. Battery life seems okay.

Vexxx

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
More than one person can work on "the code" at the same time, but not the same section of the code.
This is not true. If same line is worked on it is usually seen as conflict, which is resolved, when branch is merged to main branch. And please do not suggest that Apple may not use any version control system. :)

Also CDM might be interested to know that there can be person(s) who solely work on "low hangin fruits", which are relatively easy to fix e.g. some UI bugs. So even if bug severity is low in internal systems they still can be worked on.

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
Not only can't you downgrade, I think I've heard that if it bricks the watch, you are out of luck. I'm not even sure warranty would cover that. Can others chime in?

When the first beta came out for the watch, I think it was watchOS 2.0, I tried it that was before we all knew you can't revert back. The watch was so bad it was not usable. So I called support and they took care of it for me. They sent me a box and instructions to send it in and within 3 days I had it back. No charge or questions at all.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
You fail to realize that I am talking about the logistics of comparing iOS to 9 women making 1 baby in a month.

You even said yourself that more than one person works on the code at the same time, so basically I was right.

The baby was a horrible analogy. Check.

The point that most people can't understand is that you can't always throw more money / people at a problem and expect that problem to be resolved quicker.

Here's a far better analogy that isn't so simple and contrived. Let's say I need to build a brick wall 5' high and 15' long. If I do that by myself (i.e. a single developer working on ALL bugs), it's going to take a long time. If I bring on a bigger team, let's just say 10 people, that wall WILL be built quicker. If you have 10 developers working on bugs, that may very well be quicker than 1 person doing all the work. That's just common sense. So, it takes me a week to build a wall. It takes my 10 person crew about a day and a half.

Let's say I want that wall done super quick. 5 minutes seems like a nice goal. So, I can just hire 50,000 workers to build that 15' of wall, right? That seems to be the attitude here. Apple has incredibly deep pockets, so they should just hire as many people as necessary to get the work done in an insanely quick amount of time. The problem is it doesn't work that way. 50,000 workers aren't going to get that wall done any quicker than 10 people would. There's a great chance they would just slow the entire project down in fact. There's just too many people, not enough space, they'll get in each others way, etc.

I'm sure Apple is staffed at what they find to be a reasonable level for the work they have to accomplish. Doubling that staff most likely won't double their productivity. And it may just slow it down. I can't say for sure as I don't work for Apple. But they're a successful technology company. I'm sure their practices would generally follow standard industry practices for software development. It's not like they get special and/or unique developers that are able to do what no one else in the market can do. They don't possess a magical room where the occupants are able to break the laws of nature and work miracles. They might get their pick of the little when it comes to talent, but that's all their money buys them.

The end result is, it really doesn't matter how rich Apple is. Money isn't the solution to this particular problem. Throwing money at the problem won't have any effect. Throwing more people at the problem might not be the best idea either. This is a matter of smart people finding the problems and fixing them. That process moves at it's own pace and isn't affected by what you might think.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is not true. If same line is worked on it is usually seen as conflict, which is resolved, when branch is merged to main branch. And please do not suggest that Apple may not use any version control system. :)

Also CDM might be interested to know that there can be person(s) who solely work on "low hangin fruits", which are relatively easy to fix e.g. some UI bugs. So even if bug severity is low in internal systems they still can be worked on.
I never said that there couldn't be someone working on things like that, I was simply pointing out that often there really aren't all that many resources allocated to things like that in most releases. Of course it will differ from company to company, project to project, and release to release, but in more instances than not it ends up happening more along the lines of what I described. So, again, it's definitely not a matter of could or couldn't (or should or shouldn't), but more of a matter of how it just is often enough.
The baby was a horrible analogy. Check.

The point that most people can't understand is that you can't always throw more money / people at a problem and expect that problem to be resolved quicker.

Here's a far better analogy that isn't so simple and contrived. Let's say I need to build a brick wall 5' high and 15' long. If I do that by myself (i.e. a single developer working on ALL bugs), it's going to take a long time. If I bring on a bigger team, let's just say 10 people, that wall WILL be built quicker. If you have 10 developers working on bugs, that may very well be quicker than 1 person doing all the work. That's just common sense. So, it takes me a week to build a wall. It takes my 10 person crew about a day and a half.

Let's say I want that wall done super quick. 5 minutes seems like a nice goal. So, I can just hire 50,000 workers to build that 15' of wall, right? That seems to be the attitude here. Apple has incredibly deep pockets, so they should just hire as many people as necessary to get the work done in an insanely quick amount of time. The problem is it doesn't work that way. 50,000 workers aren't going to get that wall done any quicker than 10 people would. There's a great chance they would just slow the entire project down in fact. There's just too many people, not enough space, they'll get in each others way, etc.

I'm sure Apple is staffed at what they find to be a reasonable level for the work they have to accomplish. Doubling that staff most likely won't double their productivity. And it may just slow it down. I can't say for sure as I don't work for Apple. But they're a successful technology company. I'm sure their practices would generally follow standard industry practices for software development. It's not like they get special and/or unique developers that are able to do what no one else in the market can do. They don't possess a magical room where the occupants are able to break the laws of nature and work miracles. They might get their pick of the little when it comes to talent, but that's all their money buys them.

The end result is, it really doesn't matter how rich Apple is. Money isn't the solution to this particular problem. Throwing money at the problem won't have any effect. Throwing more people at the problem might not be the best idea either. This is a matter of smart people finding the problems and fixing them. That process moves at it's own pace and isn't affected by what you might think.
It's also often a matter of many other variables that are involved. Aside from those actually building the wall there are those who are deciding what bricks to use, those who are deciding what layout it will be in, those who are deciding how fast it needs to be done and what different stages would be, those who are deciding if more workers should be still working on the current wall vs. on the next none, those who are deciding how to market the wall, etc., etc., etc. Many things can be fixed quickly, but that's just one factor as far as it all relates to whether or not something actually gets fixed, when it might get fixed, what release it might go in, what else is higher priority, and all of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: MEJHarrison

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
I feel like the bug reporter app doesn't really send anything to Apple. Maybe it's just me.

I do sometimes feel like the app is much more like this than anything else.

Futurama_Master_In_Pile.jpg

Always found bugs I report via the actual Bug Reporter site are dealt with or at least marked as duplicates quickly.

gobluejd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
NW Indiana
Anyone have the issue of music fwd not working on iPhone. IE when listening and you hit FWD, it just replays same track?

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
I do sometimes feel like the app is much more like this than anything else.

View attachment 619656

Always found bugs I report via the actual Bug Reporter site are dealt with or at least marked as duplicates quickly.
Lmao that's exactly how I feel. I was thinking the next bug I'm reporting on the site. Every time I did use the site it's just like you said. That's why I feel it doesn't work thru the app

Last edited:

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
It shows who called on my voicemails in the notification area (pulled from the top of the screen), under Phone >Voicemails and locked screen notification. Tmobile 6s+.
[doublepost=1457042844][/doublepost]
That's awesome. It is not however on the 6S+.
Actually, it is present on the 6s Plus.

Zachquiel

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
The caps lock bug is still present on the iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard on b5.

Type a letter in upper case, using shift of caps lock key. Backspace with caps lock disabled or shift key released. The letter will still be uppercase unless you completely clear it. Disabling the auto options on the keyboard settings page makes no difference.
Hopefully they can still fix it before release. Anyone else with an iPad Pro and a Smart Keyboard having the same issue?

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
The power up / lock screen bug is irritating as hell. Sure, there's a workaround (power off button, try again) always seems to work, but annoying all the same. Not got this on my iPhone 6, just iPad 4.

Other than a bit of lag in Settings, seems okay for me. Battery life seems okay.

Same issue on my mini retina, no problem on5s. I think it's all about Smart Cover.

Temporary fix is setting the password time to Immediate

Did you report it back to Apple?

Last edited:

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Same issue on my mini retina, no problem on5s. I think it's all about Smart Cover.

Temporary fix is setting the password time to Always.

Did you report it back to Apple?

Have it on my iPod Touch 6. And yes, setting it to immediate makes it go away for me too.

gk712

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
is it just me or what about the Share Extension "Music" in IOS 9.3 beta 5 ? Does it work for you? I can find the option to share a photo / video or voicememo via "Music" in apple´s photos.app and voicememo.app but it always immediately jumps back to share extensions when attempting it. BUG or not?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
is it just me or what about the Share Extension "Music" in IOS 9.3 beta 5 ? Does it work for you? I can find the option to share a photo / video or voicememo via "Music" in apple´s photos.app and voicememo.app but it always immediately jumps back to share extensions when attempting it. BUG or not?

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. Can you elaborate on the steps?

*EDIT*

NVM I think I get what you're saying now. Tapping the Share to Music app from in photos does nothing.

That's because I believe that function is for Musicians to upload photos and such to their Connect account for Apple Music. It does nothing for you or any regular joe because you aren't a musician on Apple Music therefore have no Connect account to share the photo to. I don't believe it's a bug.

You can remove Music as an option if you tap the "... More" at the end of the list and toggle Music off.

Last edited:

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
Guys anyone else have serious battery drain and overheat with youtube app??

I am watching 4/5 mins of youtube and the phone drains like 10% battery and it even starts to get hot... This never happened before and certainly isnt normal.

If i close youtube from the app switcher screen, phone and battery return to normal, so it is definitely youtube the culprit.

Anyone has the same issue?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. Can you elaborate on the steps?

*EDIT*

NVM I think I get what you're saying now. Tapping the Share to Music app from in photos does nothing.

That's because I believe that function is for Musicians to upload photos and such to their Connect account for Apple Music. It does nothing for you or any regular joe because you aren't a musician on Apple Music therefore have no Connect account to share the photo to. I don't believe it's a bug.

You can remove Music as an option if you tap the "... More" at the end of the list and toggle Music off.
If Music is showing up for a regular joe and doesn't do anything, that's a bug.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If Music is showing up for a regular joe and doesn't do anything, that's a bug.

I wouldn't really consider something that can be toggled on/off a bug. The fact it does nothing if you do not have a Connect account to share to wouldn't be a bug. That would be normal behaviour.

Maybe a bug that it's default on? Perhaps. Depends if it's always been toggled on for the entire life of iOS 9 or if it's something that just happened in the latest beta build.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I wouldn't really consider something that can be toggled on/off a bug. The fact it does nothing if you do not have a Connect account to share to wouldn't be a bug. That would be normal behaviour.

Maybe a bug that it's default on? Perhaps. Depends if it's always been toggled on for the entire life of iOS 9 or if it's something that just happened in the latest beta build.
Hmm I think it's not too controversial to say it's a defect that 'New Post' slides up and then goes away without any explanation, very confusing to users. Even if that didn't happen and it literally 'did nothing' then that would also be confusing. Doesn't matter about the default toggle status, if a user can enable it and when they use it a confusing behaviour happens that they should never see, it's a defect. Not a major one of course!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.