Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Unless they put the anti-reflection technology on the mini3, I will wait to get one.

Will it be January, June, or next October before they fix that?

They may fix that next october or they might not touch the mini for a few years now.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It
Well, believe it or not, in a tablet, the question how thin and light it is, is actually incredibly important.

We have now reached a level that Star Trek predicted to be reached in 200 years. I'd go as far as calling that revolutionary.

Apple transporter would be revolutionary. Apple phaser and I'll camp out in front of the store for weeks. ANDROID! Set phasers to FULL POWER!!.

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA
Me right after keynote: "This was the first keynote in a while where I don't feel inclined to buy anything. It's kind of refreshing."

Me today: "I just sold my iPad Mini 2, and pre-ordered the Air 2. I need help."

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
I see, you're one of those guys where once Apple adds more ram, it's ''the greatest thing since sliced bread''. :rolleyes:

No.. I welcome more ram but I don't bitch about it every time they release a new product and it only has 1GB of ram. Bottom line for me is.. Does it work? Is it working the way I need it to? YES. So more ram won't matter or be a deal breaker for me. When they finally up the ram great. we'll all be happy.

----------

If I could downvote your post I would. The lack of RAM coupled with the 64-bit processor and Safari tabs/other apps constantly reloading is a well documented issue. Just because you don't see it in your use case doesn't mean it is not a problem for others.

I laugh at my wife all the time when she has a billion tabs open.. With all the features and options that safari offers why do people feel the need to have 20 tabs open?? Makes not sense. I have a max of 3 on my Mac and i'm doing a few things at once. My iPad/iPhones I open a tab get what I need and close it or put it in safari reader if i need to read it later or I store it in my bookmarks if I need to keep it. I see no reason to have a bunch of tabs open.. Can somebody give me a real life scenario where more than 5 tabs are needed on a iPhone or iPad??

Please pretty please. Its lame and useless. Use the features that Safari has to be more productive and you won't have to worry about more ram because of tab reloading issues.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Its not $100 EXTRA.

It's the same price as the mini 2 was before the mini 3 was announced.

The mini 2 is $100 CHEAPER than its original price.

Why is that so hard for you to grasp?!

Ok well let me rephrase: If someone who currently doesn't have an iPad mini is going to buy one, why would that person pay $100 more for the 3 vs the 2, if all that $100 buys is Touch ID and nothing else?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Ok well let me rephrase: If someone who currently doesn't have an iPad mini is going to buy one, why would that person pay $100 more for the 3 vs the 2, if all that $100 buys is Touch ID and nothing else?

The old one is $100 cheaper
The new one is $100 more expensive with no change but a Touch ID button
i.e. The new one sans the Touch ID button is at a $100 premium over the old one with same internals.

So the Touch ID button carries a $100 premium.

Simple as that.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
why would that person pay $100 more for the 3 vs the 2, if all that $100 buys is Touch ID and nothing else?

Because it gives me a bit more convinience using the device and services hooked into the TouchID (device unlock, AppStore, Connect, 1password, ...).
For me using the device in the crowded Tokyo public transportation that's simply nice.
YMMV, for me that was the plan when I "test"bought the my current mini I use. Sure I would be happier with A8X and whatelse. But again, the current Mini is fast enough for me, now with the "right" memory size and TouchID

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Just bought my 128GB Air 2... upgrading from the original iPad.

Congratulations, enjoy your new shiny. I certainly do. This thing is blazingly fast :D

iPad Air 2 - 128GB - Champagne Gold (Best thing I ever bought this year).

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
The old one is $100 cheaper
The new one is $100 more expensive with no change but a Touch ID button
i.e. The new one sans the Touch ID button is at a $100 premium over the old one with same internals.

So the Touch ID button carries a $100 premium.

Simple as that.

Right. I know. I was simply curious as to who would pay the $100 premium for Touch ID?

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013

Ok, lets look at it another way...

Person wants to buy iPad mini prior to the new minis release.
They have the money waiting to buy the iPad mini.

Apple release new iPad for the EXACT SAME amount and DISCOUNT the previous model by $100.

Person can now spend the SAME amount of money they had BEFORE with no extra cost for the newest iPad mini with touch ID.

or...

SAVE themselves $100 and have the iPad there were previously going to get.

Nobody loses out, its either spend the SAME amount for a few extra features or SAVE $100.

Either way its a win for the person.

I don't even know why I'm explaining this, its painfully obvious!

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Ok, lets look at it another way...

Person wants to buy iPad mini prior to the new minis release.
They have the money waiting to buy the iPad mini.

Apple release new iPad for the EXACT SAME amount and DISCOUNT the previous model by $100.

Person can now spend the SAME amount of money they had BEFORE with no extra cost for the newest iPad mini with touch ID.

or...

SAVE themselves $100 and have the iPad there were previously going to get.

Nobody loses out, its either spend the SAME amount for a few extra features or SAVE $100.

Either way its a win for the person.

I don't even know why I'm explaining this, its painfully obvious!

I know all this...I'm just wondering why someone would opt pass up the $100 savings in favor of touch ID.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Maybe the mini 3 has more RAM to justify the price increase? I haven't seen a teardown yet?

Don't dream. It's the same 1GB.

----------

Got my mini3 and happy with the TouchID (and memory upgrade). It increase security and convenience. Nice combo.

For "memory" do you mean the storage capacity?

If you're not selling your old one and therefore getting part of your purchase price back, you're basically paying twice for the same thing only with an extra touch ID button.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
If you're not selling your old one and therefore getting part of your purchase price back, you're basically paying twice for the same thing only with an extra touch ID button.

Yeah, my son already raised interest. His old iPad can't run iOS 7 or 8 which disconnects him from newer games. So I guess that's where it's heading: lucky him :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.