Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Friends don’t let friends buy a year old iPad mini with only touchID for $100 more than the original model.

Haha. I agree! I would just hope my friends wouldn't be so condescending when providing their opinion. (Hypothetical of course. No way I'm touching Mini 3).

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Considering what those ipads would be worth next year, I've minimized my loss.

And considering what I won't be losing on another years worth of two dozen ipads rapid depreciation, I'm doing great.

...especially since I'm still not sure the productivity increase was worth the expense.

every cloud aye?! ;)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The "loss" occurs whether one sells or doesn't sell. Depreciation happens. The reality is, when selling just ahead of the announcement, one loses 10-20% less that if they waited when you couple Apple's price cut on the senior model, the higher availably of those models in the used market, and the lower demand of those models.

So if one is fairly certain they will be upgrading and doesn't rely on them for business then it's hardly an "unbelievable poor idea." It's actually quite smart.

But the poster in question was using them in a design/engineering business. If they were really that important for business, then they wouldn't have sold them at all but kept them around since an "old" iPad is still better than none at all for the period in between when they sell them and buy the new ones. Businesses don't upgrade iPads every year, anyway.

----------

I would say that if Apple just left the retina mini alone and just dropped the price it would have been understandable. Or make this new iPad mini $299 which would have looked great; cheaper with touchID. Trying to charge $100 for touchID is criminal when you just made the previous version $299.
Apple either thinks people are dumb or someone there is stupid.

I'm puzzled with the pricing, as well. I suggested a $249 iPad mini (1), and $349/$449/$549 iPad Mini 3. If they wanted to keep a $299 iPad mini 2 in the mix, fine, but my guess is that the current pricing may actually steer more customers to the iPad mini 2 because customers won't perceive a $100 benefit to the Touch ID. At $349 for the 32GB, the iPad mini 2 could be the sweet spot for many. It's $130 less than the 32GB Nexus 9. While the Nexus 9 has better performance (early benchmarks peg the new 64-bit Tegra K-1 slightly faster than the A8), the mini 2 is more portable and has a higher PPI.

As for the Nexus 9 and iPad Air 2, the situation is somewhat reversed. Both get comparable performance, though the Nexus 9 is $100-$130 cheaper (depending on the model). That said, the Nexus 9 tops out at 32GB.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Don't have time to read through 9 pages of comments to know if this has been mentioned already or not, but the article states several times that this is a "pre-order." I'd just like to point out that this is not a "pre-order." These items are available for sale now, not next Friday or the Friday after, etc.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Friends don’t let friends buy a year old iPad mini with only touchID for $100 more than the original model.

The Touch ID may be a deal breaker for some people. However, I'm pretty pleased, since I just ordered a Mini 2 at education pricing for only NZ$419. I'd put aside enough for a mini 3 and case, but since I don't need Touch ID, I'm happy with the discount.

The iPad 2 I bought the week of first release can now be my kid's full time tablet, and now I will be able to read ebooks without cleaning cake off of the screen. O frabjous day!

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Just wait until people have to hand their phones through the drive-thru window to touch some NFC terminal and have some teenager let it slip onto the pavement (and crack). More so with an iPad.

One: they're not putting an NFC chip in the iPad. Apple Pay on the iPad Air 2 is usable for online purchases only.

Two: you have to use touchID to make NFC-enabled Apple Pay work on an iPhone, and you have to be wearing the Watch to do it with an Apple Watch. In both of these scenarios, handing the device to the person inside the window *guarantees* that you can't use Apple Pay, so this is not going to happen.

Three: Thank you, please drive through.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Unless they put the anti-reflection technology on the mini3, I will wait to get one.

Will it be January, June, or next October before they fix that?

----------

Further to your point, the number of posts calling people idiots for buying the Mini 3. We seem to all be experts in other peoples' lives.

If those 'idiot' consumers didn't buy it, Apple might get the message that they need to fix it sooner.

sahnjuro

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
Unless they put the anti-reflection technology on the mini3, I will wait to get one.

Will it be January, June, or next October before they fix that?

----------

If those 'idiot' consumers didn't buy it, Apple might get the message that they need to fix it sooner.

probably next october; apple wants people to go for air 2 and pay more money

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Not sure why people are so obsessed with iDevices having more ram. Its obviously not that important as far as improving performance so why worry.
Because those people are smart enough to go check the iOS crash log after safari crashes, and notice that the crash was due "Low Memory Termination" or something similar. They notice that when they get more than 4 or 5 tabs open, the tabs must reload before accessing them.

Identified by many as a big issue. A pain in the neck that makes browsing on the iPad much less useful than on a MBA.

What I don't understand is the handful of people who claim never to ever have tabs reload, or that claim the rest of us are "just doing it wrong", and should never use more than 2 tabs.

You don't want more RAM? Bully for you. But I think you are in the minority at macrumors.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I feel bad for the people who stayed up until 3am.

Don't feel sorry. People make their decisions and live with the consequences. I stayed up until a little past midnight and got up a little after 5AM EST. From 5-11, I checked the site about once every 5mins. Just a little pressed. But I got it. Hopefully arriving on Wednesday, but that might be more wishful thinking.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Why the heck do you even own an iPad, iPhone or any other touchscreen device if you’re too lazy to swipe? What do you do; stare at the screen all day because you can’t swipe your finger? Or is it some form of mind control you use to make the web pages scroll?
You need to look at what you just wrote.

it's not that I can't do it, i just enjoy having it done for me. like doors that open for me when i approach them vs. opening them myself. how can you argue that it's not clearly superior to just press the button than to have to do extra steps afterwards to use your device? being forced to swipe to unlock like a slave every time you use your device is not cool. Like you work for it, not it works for you.

buy a device with touch ID and use it and you will see what I mean.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
So I've decided.

Last year I bought the 16 GB iPad mini 2 thinking the space would be enough for me. I was wrong. Now with a paltry 11 GB to use, I have to upgrade to a larger storage capacity, with apps, movies among other things taking up more space.

My wife has given me the go ahead to sell my current model and get a new one. I was going to stick with the iPad mini 3, but after seeing what the 3 offers which is nothing more than Touch ID, I'd rather spend extra money and get a much better value with the iPad Air 2. Plus, my wife also has an iPad mini 2 so if I ever want to use the smaller model, I can use hers still so we have one of each. Works very well in the long run.

Will probably be going with the 128 GB Wifi Only, questions is black or gold I can't decide yet. In terms of what they have done with the iPad mini 3, Apple can do what it wants, but it just seems like such a shame to put the mini in the background with such little attention. I can't be totally surprised though given how the iPhone 6 plus' size seems to be the main culprit for the mini taking a backseat.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Finally the upgrade i have been waiting for , iPad 2 -> iPad Air 2 | 64gb gold, it will be like another 4 years before i upgrade again

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I'm not sure why Apple even decided to keep selling the mini 2. It makes the mini 3 look like a terrible buy.

Maybe for people that share exactly your thoughts? If the new Mini is a terrible buy, than last year must have been devastating for you ;)

It's just a discount on last year's model, nothing else.

MMANN113

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
California USA
Not enough here for me to upgrade from my iPad Air. BUT if you have a pre-air iPad i highly suggest you upgrade.
Even though everyone here makes fun of Apple making their products thinner, the Air form factor really is fun. A year later and i still enjoy how thin it really is. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.