Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Maybe more RAM would keep Safari pages from reloading with a few tabs open?

this is my biggest pet peeve with ipad. you type everything up in one tab but before submitting want to look up some info so goto second tab and do a google search...go back to first tab...and the damn thing auto refreshes and wipe out everything you just wrote....:confused::confused::confused:

i would pay more money to have more rams to prevent this from happening. I notice this never happens on the imac.

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.
No, the fullsize iPad is not.

The mini, however, is just small and light enough to be easily portable. If you're a traveling professional, you're already carrying a bag. If you're meeting a client, it fits neatly in most jackets breast pockets, if you're on the shop floor, it even fits in the back pockets of your jeans. It is just large enough to be useful as a graphics tablet, a presentation device, and not appear so amateurish as whipping out a phone.

...it would be even more portable if they bothered to update it similar to the Air2 and it were to become slightly thinner.

Even so, a phone is the most practical device to use for a payments feature. Most people carry their phone in their pocket or clip it on their belt...

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
As I read some of the posts on this and other threads, I am constantly amazed by those posters who bitterly complain about how Apple "screwed" them.

Apple sells various products. Consumers may choose to buy them or not.

Unless someone can document an instance where there's a big guy standing behind them pointing a large caliber pistol at their head threatening blown out brains unless they purchase, I will continue to believe these people are truly living in a fantasy land with no resemblance to reality.

You like it, you buy it. Otherwise, go hide somewhere and stop moaning in public.

I-Bot

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
My City
Unfortunately, it does not look like it is available for Pre-Order for In-Store Pick-Up, this was the option I was hoping for, so I guess here's to hoping I can walk into an Apple Store when it comes out, most likely the 24th and get a 16GB Gold iPad Air 2.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why should I wait for a 3rd party to inform me of specs that Apple should provide me right from the start like any other tablet manufacturer?

You shouldn't! If it bothers you reward one of those other tablet makers for their spec forthcoming and then hope they were being honest about them. I mean it's not like there isn't selection of Android tablets around with amazing specs at unbelievable prices that only look terrific and work well in one's fertile imagination.

Personally, I'd rather have a neutral 3rd party do the vivisection and tell me what's what than relying on a manufacturer's truth stretching.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Not sure why people are so obsessed with iDevices having more ram. Its obviously not that important as far as improving performance so why worry. Does it work? Yes, Is it fast? yes, Does it allow you to perform all functions you expect to perform? yes.. Now why the hell is ram so important??? lol.. Do these people even understand what ram does? Sheesh

My first computer had 2 KILObytes of RAM. 2 weeks later I upgraded it to 32KB after writing a fairly simple BASIC program that ate all the memory. After that, I got a C64 which is named after the amount of RAM it has. While writing assembler code for it, I learned exactly what a byte and a bit is capable of. I think I got a pretty firm grip on what RAM does by now :)

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Did I read that right? the iPad mini 3 is the same as the 2 except for the touch id? I'll save the $100 and key in my own passcode... or just turn it off since my iPad never leaves the house :rolleyes:

Even without using passcode, I get pissed when I pick up my iPad, press the home button, then have to swipe to unlock instead of just leave my finger where it is for a quarter second.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
But there were predictions that only the Air would see a signficant upgrade, and they turned out to be right.

I would say that if Apple just left the retina mini alone and just dropped the price it would have been understandable. Or make this new iPad mini $299 which would have looked great; cheaper with touchID. Trying to charge $100 for touchID is criminal when you just made the previous version $299.
Apple either thinks people are dumb or someone there is stupid.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Maybe more RAM would keep Safari pages from reloading with a few tabs open?

It sure seems like they could cache that out to the regular storage easily enough.

The OS use the screen grabs so that when you slide from tab to tab pretty easily (even if they are pretty out of date sometimes), so it seems like they could do some cached web pages. (I hope no one tells me they are using the RAM to store those screen shots!)

Gary

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
True, but last year's model is now $349 for 32GB storage. Add in the usual $100 bump to go from 32 to 64 GB if that option were available = $449. That's a $50 difference between a 64GB iPad mini 2 and a 64GB iPad mini 3 just to have Touch ID and/or a gold colored back. That's the premium if you honestly compare 2014 prices to 2014 prices.

$50 for Touch ID doesn't seem all that bad. Wouldn't do it myself, but others might. I like that they kept the 32 GB option. Thinking of taking advantage of that.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Even without using passcode, I get pissed when I pick up my iPad, press the home button, then have to swipe to unlock instead of just leave my finger where it is for a quarter second.

Why the heck do you even own an iPad, iPhone or any other touchscreen device if you’re too lazy to swipe? What do you do; stare at the screen all day because you can’t swipe your finger? Or is it some form of mind control you use to make the web pages scroll?
You need to look at what you just wrote.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
As I read some of the posts on this and other threads, I am constantly amazed by those posters who bitterly complain about how Apple "screwed" them.

Apple sells various products. Consumers may choose to buy them or not.

Unless someone can document an instance where there's a big guy standing behind them pointing a large caliber pistol at their head threatening blown out brains unless they purchase, I will continue to believe these people are truly living in a fantasy land with no resemblance to reality.

You like it, you buy it. Otherwise, go hide somewhere and stop moaning in public.

Further to your point, the number of posts calling people idiots for buying the Mini 3. We seem to all be experts in other peoples' lives.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
But there were predictions that only the Air would see a signficant upgrade, and they turned out to be right.

There was a reasonable expectation that the upgrade would be a decent, if not significant, one based on prior history. Obviously the game changed this time. Selling before the annoucement is still a sound decision if one is committed to upgrading.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Not sure why people are so obsessed with iDevices having more ram. Its obviously not that important as far as improving performance so why worry. Does it work? Yes, Is it fast? yes, Does it allow you to perform all functions you expect to perform? yes.. Now why the hell is ram so important??? lol.. Do these people even understand what ram does? Sheesh

2GB RAM is the killer feature for me. If it doesn't have 2GB RAM i won't get it. If it does I won't think twice about getting it..

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
The "loss" occurs whether one sells or doesn't sell. Depreciation happens. The reality is, when selling just ahead of the announcement, one loses 10-20% less that if they waited when you couple Apple's price cut on the senior model, the higher availably of those models in the used market, and the lower demand of those models.

So if one is fairly certain they will be upgrading and doesn't rely on them for business then it's hardly an "unbelievable poor idea." It's actually quite smart.

I sold iPhone 5S for £250 to O2 recycle AFTER the iPhone 6 was released.
Before the iPhone 6 was released O2 were offering £245...
Explain that.

The 'poor idea' is being fairly certain you'll upgrade based upon rumours and speculation.

If there were hard facts before the announcement of the new iPads then it would be a good move.

The guy took a gamble that didn't pay off and now he's mad at Apple...

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Why would people want NFC added to the iPad? What are you going to do? Carry your big, bulky iPad around with you to stores and whip it out just to pay for something? The iPad is not an efficient device for that...

Just wait until people have to hand their phones through the drive-thru window to touch some NFC terminal and have some teenager let it slip onto the pavement (and crack). More so with an iPad.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Why the heck do you even own an iPad, iPhone or any other touchscreen device if you’re too lazy to swipe? What do you do; stare at the screen all day because you can’t swipe your finger? Or is it some form of mind control you use to make the web pages scroll?

You need to look at what you just wrote.

Calm down. Schiller mentioned the exact same sentiment at the keynote yesterday. Is he wrong?

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
You shouldn't! If it bothers you reward one of those other tablet makers for their spec forthcoming and then hope they were being honest about them. I mean it's not like there isn't selection of Android tablets around with amazing specs at unbelievable prices that only look terrific and work well in one's fertile imagination.

Personally, I'd rather have a neutral 3rd party do the vivisection and tell me what's what than relying on a manufacturer's truth stretching.

I'm savy enough to know when someone is stretching the truth. As for Android... tablet apps... lol... yeah, if Facebook, YouTube, Gmail and what not is all you need, then it's fine. If you want to use tablet apps, not blown up phone apps, that are off the beaten path, then Android is a disaster. The best pdf reading app I could find on Android is a sorry excuse next to Goodreader, not to mention that the Nexus 9 is the only Android tablet with a 4:3 ratio, so I'm kinda limited there if I want a tablet that fits the PDFs I like to read.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Well, sure glad we sold off all our ipads a week ago in anticipation of new upgraded minis. Guess we'll be going without for a year.

This lack of a mini update was an unbelievably poor idea.

Or selling yours before you knew what the update was...

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Just wait until people have to hand their phones through the drive-thru window to touch some NFC terminal and have some teenager let it slip onto the pavement (and crack). More so with an iPad.

I remember when the Starbucks app first came out and there were reports of employees holding customer phones to scan them and then dropping them by accident.

Starbucks sent out messaging to all employees that they weren't allowed to touch a customer's phone anymore, and must let the customer scan their own device.

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.

If McDonald's (and other fast-food restaurants should they decide to adopt Apple Pay) were smart they would install the scanner on the outside of the building next to the window so the customer would just have to reach out their car window to scan... Then it'd be the owner's fault if they drop their device

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
Hey Timmy of Apple!

Why holding on to the ****** 5MP camera in iPad Mini 3? Is there any connection to the new 1.4Ghz Mac Mini? Who are you kidding?​

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Further to your point, the number of posts calling people idiots for buying the Mini 3. We seem to all be experts in other peoples' lives.

Friends don’t let friends buy a year old iPad mini with only touchID for $100 more than the original model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.